Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

W4: Nessa Scirh - FINAL (Released)

Nomad

W4: Nessa Scirh - FINAL (Released)

Post  Nomad on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:01 pm

NESSA SCIRH
    NWHC Wave 4 - Fields of Wildfire - Heroes of the Chaos

PDF DOWNLOAD, front
    PDF DOWNLOAD, back

Figure- Confontration, Scorpions, Shamir Hero Box, Claudia Nessalith

General: Valkrill
    Planet: Icaria

Species: Icarian
    Unique Hero
    Class: Doyen
    Personality: Dominating
    Medium 5

Life: 5
    Move: 5
    Range: 1
    Attack: 4
    Defense: 3
    90 Points

ICARIAN AUGURY
    If a common Icarian figure within 5 clear sight spaces of Nessa Scirh is destroyed by a normal or special attack by an opponent’s figure, roll the 20-sided die before removing that figure. If you roll a 16 or higher, ignore any wounds and immediately move the Icarian figure up to 6 spaces to a space adjacent to Nessa Scirh. A common Icarian figure is never attacked when leaving an engagement when using Icarian Augury. If it is not possible to move the figure adjacent to Nessa Scirh, destroy the figure.

ICARIAN DOMINATION
    Before taking a turn with Nessa Scirh, you may take a turn with 1 Icarian squad or 1 Icarian hero you control. Any figure taking a turn with Icarian Domination must start their turn adjacent to Nessa Scirh.

REAPER'S SCYTHE
    When Nessa Scirh attacks an adjacent figure, you may choose one figure that is also adjacent to Nessa Scirh. If the defending figure is destroyed by Nessa Scirh's attack, the chosen figure receives 1 wound.

Character Bio:
    Every cult needs a dominating figure that pushes others to fanaticism. Nessa Scirh is that figure for the dragon-slayer cult of Icaria. She can retrieve her minions before destruction arrives. She can push her minions into battle. She can swing her mighty scythe and inflict heavy damage. Yes, Nessa Scirh is dominating.

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- N/A

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered

-Icarian Augury: common Icarian figures
    Common Icarian figures can ignore a wound if they can move adjacent to Nessa Scirh after a roll of 16 or higher with the 20-sider. Current common Icarian figures include the Nhah Scirh Cultists.

-Icarian Domination: Icarian squad or hero
    Nessa Scirh may take a turn with 1 Icarian squad or 1 Icarian hero after taking a turn. Current Icarian figures include the Nhah Scirh Cultists and Valestrio Scirh.

Synergy Benefits Received

-Skull Demon: Valkrill Attack Aura 1
    As a Valkrill follower with a Range of 1, Nessa Scirh may benefit from the Skull Demon's VALKRILL ATTACK AURA 1 ability.

Synergy Imposed

- N/A

Last edited by Nomad on Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:24 pm; edited 14 times in total (Reason for editing : Just a little formatting)
    Nomad

Re: W4: Nessa Scirh - FINAL (Released)

Post  Nomad on Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:36 am

Amazing but true . . . the 9th return on a google search for Nhah Scirh was Damon and Jacob's Cinco de Mayo Tournament on Cryptic Alliance.

Anyways, here is my attempt for the figure on the left. I will separate the two out into different threads in a bit. Let me know what you think and how we can improve her out of the gates.

NESSA NHAH SCIRH

Species- Icarian
    Unique Hero
    Medium 5

Life: 6
    Attack: 3
    Defense: 2
    90 Points

ICARIAN AUGURY
    If an Icarian within 3 spaces is destroyed by a normal or special attack by an opponent’s figure, before removing that Icarian form the battlefield, you may immediately take a turn with that Icarian figure. After using Nhah Scirh Augury to take a turn with that Icarian figure, immediately remove it from the battlefield.

ICARIAN DOMINATION
    After taking a turn with Nessa Nhah Scirh, one adjacent Icarian figure must take a turn. If no Icarian figures are adjacent to Nessa Nhah Scirh after taking a turn with her, she takes one wound.

IRON TOUGH RESOLVE
    When rolling defense dice against a normal or special attack, Nessa Nhah Scirh always adds one automatic shield to whatever is rolled.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:51 am

ICARIAN AUGURY
    If an Icarian within 3 spaces is destroyed by a normal or special attack by an opponent’s figure, before removing that Icarian form the battlefield, you may immediately take a turn with that Icarian figure. After using Nhah Scirh Augury to take a turn with that Icarian figure, immediately remove it from the battlefield.

This is an interesting concept but I wonder how it will work from a timing perspective. For example, a Krav Maga Agent shoots and kills an Icarian Cultist but 2 more Agents have not attacked yet. Does the Cultist get to interrupt the Krav's turn immediately - or do you wait until after the Krav have taken their turn?

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:03 am

Kai wrote:This is an interesting concept but I wonder how it will work from a timing perspective. For example, a Krav Maga Agent shoots and kills an Icarian Cultist but 2 more Agents have not attacked yet. Does the Cultist get to interrupt the Krav's turn immediately - or do you wait until after the Krav have taken their turn?

Yes, my thinking was that as soon as an Icarian is destroyed, it gets to take a turn before being removed from the battlefield. So, they interrupt the Krav's turn. Too much messing with Heroscape mechanics? That destroyed Icarian must be within 3 space from Nessa to do this.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:03 pm

ICARIAN AUGURY

This is a very cool concept. I have heard many times that turn interruption is a no-no. I am hesitant but willing to go down that road. I'd rather go down a similar road, (this is without much thought put into it).

For every Icarian within 3 spaces of Nessa Nhah Scirh that is destroyed by an opponents normal or special attack, after the opponents turn, you may move Nessa or any Icarian within 3 spaces of Nessa up to 5 spaces.

or you could reword your original mechanics so that after the opposing players turn is over you then take a turn with the destroyed figure(s), which I probably like better. I will put a little more thought into this when I have a chance.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:08 am

Nomad wrote:
    Kai wrote:This is an interesting concept but I wonder how it will work from a timing perspective. For example, a Krav Maga Agent shoots and kills an Icarian Cultist but 2 more Agents have not attacked yet. Does the Cultist get to interrupt the Krav's turn immediately - or do you wait until after the Krav have taken their turn?

Yes, my thinking was that as soon as an Icarian is destroyed, it gets to take a turn before being removed from the battlefield. So, they interrupt the Krav's turn. Too much messing with Heroscape mechanics? That destroyed Icarian must be within 3 space from Nessa to do this.

Instead of Turn-Interruption - I could see going with a d20 roll almost like an Engagement Strike.

ICARIAN AUGURY
    If an Icarian within 3 spaces of Nessa is destroyed by a normal or special attack by an opponent’s figure, before removing that Icarian form the battlefield, roll the 20-sided die. If the attacking figure was adjacent to the Icarian, add 3 to your roll. If you roll a 15 or higher, the attacking figure receives one wound.

You could also make it "Cultist" Augury .... but then it would not apply to Icarian Heroes.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:22 am

Yep - interrupting an opponent's turn by taking a turn with one of your figures is not good.

Thanks for the ideas . . . I will rethink the power.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:11 pm

ICARIAN AUGURY

What about something like this

ICARIAN AUGURY
    If an Icarian within 3 spaces of Nessa Nhah Scirh is destroyed by a normal or special attack by an opponent’s figure, you may replace the destroyed figure with any Icarian on the battlefield.

Not sure if this captures any of the theme you want.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:16 pm

Thanks for the input. Trying to incorporate suggestions and add new twist, what do you think about this?

ICARIAN AUGURY
    If an Icarian within 5 clear sight spaces of Nessa Scirh is destroyed by a normal or special attack by an opponent’s figure, before removing that Icarian from the battlefield, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, the Icarian figure is not destroyed and it must be placed on any space adjacent to Nessa Scirh if possible.

Putting the official proposal in the OP.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Kind of like it. Seeing how it is dealing with both heroes and squaddies we will have to decide if you want to ignore all wounds, or all but 1, or whatever.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:38 pm

What do you think if we include any destruction . . . included Sonlen, Fire Elemental, even Cult Adoration? This way, if Valestrio bonding fails to produce a wound, then there is a 1 in 4 chance he doesn't die.

My thought is that all other Icarian figures besides Nessa will only have 1 life, including heroes. But, just in case we develop more down the road, perhaps we should include the clause (thanks Derek).

How is this?

ICARIAN AUGURY
    If an Icarian within 5 clear sight spaces of Nessa Scirh is destroyed, before removing that Icarian from the battlefield, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, ignore 1 wound. The Icarian figure is not destroyed and it must be placed on any space adjacent to Nessa Scirh if possible.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:52 pm

This is totally a different direction - but instead of a "Defy Death" sort of power - what about a "Commander's Strike" style power?

REAPER'S AUGURY
    After an Icarian within 5 clear sight spaces of Nessa Scirh is attacked and at least one skull is rolled, roll the 20-sided die. If the attacking figure wounded the Icarian, add 5 to the roll.  If you roll a 16 or higher, the attacking figure receives 1 wound.

I changed the name to Reaper's Augury to reflect the Scythe that Nessa carries.  Since Augury is like a precognitive insight - the idea would be that Nessa foresees the death of one of the cultists and then her Reaper's scythe sends out a magically blast to strike the attacker.  It can work even if the Icarian is not destroyed, so it might be powerful.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:19 am

We definitely need to add something to include the scythe. The precognition is built into the power as previously written - Nessa sees the wound coming and can save the Icarian . . .

So, what do you think about these changes? Dropped attack, bumped defense, and changed the last power to an attack bonus instead of defense bonus.

Attack: 2
    Defense: 4
    90 Points

ICARIAN AUGURY
    If an Icarian within 5 clear sight spaces of Nessa Scirh is destroyed, before removing that Icarian from the battlefield, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, ignore 1 wound. The Icarian figure is not destroyed and it must be placed on any space adjacent to Nessa Scirh if possible.

ICARIAN DOMINATION
    After taking a turn with Nessa Scirh, one adjacent Icarian figure must take a turn. If no Icarian figures are adjacent to Nessa Scirh after taking a turn with her, she takes one wound.

REAPER'S SCYTHE
    When rolling attack dice, Nessa Scirh always adds one automatic skull to whatever is rolled.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:06 pm

DOMINATION
    Question Part 1:
    For the Bonding style option - I think that we'll need to re-word it for clarification:

After taking a turn with Nessa Scirh, you must take a turn with a single Icarian squad figure or hero that is adjacent to her.

I am guessing you want to stay away from complete Squad bonding.

Question Part 2:
    What is the 'story' reason that Nessa takes a wound for not being adjacent to an Icarian?  I'm guessing there is some sort of "shared life-force" among the Cultists but not sure.

Are you okay with dropping the wound?
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:14 pm

I will reconsider the wound and the wording for taking a turn with a figure. Just throwing out ideas. I do want to stay away from straight bonding for now.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:39 pm

On the drive back from Portland I mentioned perhaps a different Flaw for Nessa instead of the Wound if she does not have a cultist adjacent to her.  I was thinking about something similar Hatamoto Taro's power:

Drop Nessa from Defense 4 to Defense 0 and add:

FANATICAL FOLLOWERS
    When rolling defense, Nessa Scirh always adds 1 automatic shield to whatever is rolled for each Icarian adjacent to her.

During the conversation you mentioned that the "Augury" is Nessa receiving insight into where an attack could destroy a Cultist.  If she rolls a 16 or higher, her "warning" to the Cultist has them move out of harms way.  So instead of "placing" them adjacent (which to me implies teleportation), maybe you can change it to normal movement instead.  Since Nhah Scirh have disengage against squads they could leave those engagements.

ICARIAN AUGURY
    If an Icarian within 5 clear sight spaces of Nessa Scirh is destroyed, before removing that Icarian from the battlefield, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, ignore any wounds and immediately move the the Icarian figure up to 6 spaces.  That figure must be placed on an unoccupied space adjacent to Nessa Scirh, if possible.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:14 pm

Nessa's current defense is 2, not 4. I think you are suggesting to trade out the Iron Tough Resolve to Fanatical Followers. I like the idea of auto shields, but what do you think about additional dice instead? I dropped her defense from 2 to 1.

I am changing the Augury power to your suggestion, but keeping it an attack rather than destroyed for now. We can discuss the pros and cons of this.

I changed the domination power to remove the self-inflicted wound and increased the bonding to 2 adjacent Icarian figures. My only concern would be if C3V comes out with some heroes who are Icarian and more powerful. My intent in developing this faction is to keep other Icarian heroes low priced. So far, the only one is Valestrio.

So, what do you think about this?

NESSA SCIRH

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

Defense: 1
    90 Points

ICARIAN AUGURY (aka, something bad is about to happen, so come home to mama)
    If an Icarian within 5 clear sight spaces of Nessa Scirh is destroyed by a normal or special attack by an opponent’s figure, before removing that Icarian from the battlefield, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, ignore any wounds and immediately move the Icarian figure up to 6 spaces to a space adjacent to Nessa Scirh.

ICARIAN DOMINATION
    After taking a turn with Nessa Scirh, you may take a turn with two Icarian squad or hero figures who are adjacent to Nessa Scirh.

ICARIAN FANATICISM
    Nessa Scirh adds 1 die to her defense for each Icarian adjacent to her.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:54 pm

Damon wrote:I changed the domination power to remove the self-inflicted wound and increased the bonding to 2 adjacent Icarian figures. My only concern would be if C3V comes out with some heroes who are Icarian and more powerful. My intent in developing this faction is to keep other Icarian heroes low priced. So far, the only one is Valestrio.

I imagine at some point the C3V will come up with some heroes and with the theme these guys are dragon slayers to a large degree so I could see some somewhat powerful fillers, but probably more along the lines of what you have going on- mid point figures with potential or support.

If an Icarian within 5 clear sight spaces of Nessa Scirh is destroyed by a normal or special attack by an opponent’s figure, before removing that Icarian from the battlefield, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, ignore any wounds and immediately move the Icarian figure up to 6 spaces to a space adjacent to Nessa Scirh.

I wouldn't mind making this work against just a special attack. Thematically I think that would fit in real well with what the Cultist's have going on. It should also clarify "if possible" as to moving next to Nessa.

ICARIAN DOMINATION
    After taking a turn with Nessa Scirh, you may take a turn with two Icarian squad or hero figures who are adjacent to Nessa Scirh.

If you can take a turn with two Icarian squad or hero figures, why not just say two Icarian figures adjacent to Nessa? Maybe 2 squad figures or 1 hero? I wouldn't mind the power reading something like this

ICARIAN DOMINATION
    After taking a turn with Nessa Scirh, you may take a turn with 1 Icarian squad or 1 Icarian hero you control. Any figure taking a turn with Icarian Domination must start their turn adjacent to Nessa.

(this way if a 2 person powerful squad is created they should still be somewhat in balance with the Cultists).

ICARIAN FANATICISM
    Nessa Scirh adds 1 die to her defense for each Icarian adjacent to her.

like this as it reads. I could still see her defense starting at 2 rather than 1 as she is still not granted any guarantees in her defense rolling.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:07 pm

Kai and I got a play test in a few months ago. I don't remember much, other than the figure seemed intriguing but that wording on the powers need to be rewritten. I'll take another look at my scribbled notes, Derek's previous feedback, and revisit this soon.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:00 am

I like Derek's version:

ICARIAN DOMINATION
    After taking a turn with Nessa Scirh, you may take a turn with 1 Icarian squad or 1 Icarian hero you control. Any figure taking a turn with Icarian Domination must start their turn adjacent to Nessa.

I could see dropping the movement part of Augury and just ignoring the wounds (like Sacred Band Defy Death).

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:53 am

Derek wrote:I wouldn't mind making this work against just a special attack. Thematically I think that would fit in real well with what the Cultist's have going on. It should also clarify "if possible" as to moving next to Nessa.
    Kai wrote:
    I could see dropping the movement part of Augury and just ignoring the wounds (like Sacred Band Defy Death).

RE: Augury, I would like to keep the movement part in there - it all plays to the strategy of who your opponent should attack, and bumps the defense of Nessa when they move adjacent. I gave a lot of thought to the mechanics/strategy of how it would play out . . . but testing will determine. Let's keep it against both specials and normals for now, but we can revise it later if it is too powerful. I have updated the text of the power below to include "if possible." I also reworded it to be more like Parmenio's power, but the last sentence could use some work.

Derek wrote:ICARIAN DOMINATION

RE: Domination, if Nessa can move adjacent to 4 Cultists, then it is 4 of them get to take a turn. But if they end up moving away from her, it would decrease her defense. Hmm. Let's make the change and see what happens.

Here is what I have for her for now . . .

NESSA SCIRH

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

90 Points

ICARIAN AUGURY
    If an Icarian figure within 5 clear sight spaces of Nessa Scirh is destroyed by a normal or special attack by an opponent’s figure, roll the 20-sided die before removing that figure. If you roll a 16 or higher, ignore any wounds and immediately move the Icarian figure up to 6 spaces to a space adjacent to Nessa Scirh. If it is not possible to move the figure adjacent to Nessa Scirh, destroy the figure.

ICARIAN DOMINATION
    After taking a turn with Nessa Scirh, you may take a turn with 1 Icarian squad or 1 Icarian hero you control. Any figure taking a turn with Icarian Domination must start their turn adjacent to Nessa Scirh.

ICARIAN FANATICISM
    Nessa Scirh adds 1 die to her defense for each Icarian figure adjacent to her.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:09 pm

Looks awesome!

Here's my Army Idea:

ARMY:
    Valestrio … 60
    Nessa .. 150
    Cultist x3 .. 390
    Quorik Warwitch … 500

I'm looking forward to playing these guys!
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:36 am

Looks good.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Tue May 19, 2015 7:35 pm

I got to thinking about Nessa's Augury power and Valestrio. Since he already has the switch with a Cultist when he is destroyed, adding the Augury if he dies seems a little cumbersome with some timing issues. So, I have edited the Augury power to affect common Icarians only.

NESSA SCIRH

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

90 Points

ICARIAN AUGURY
    If a common Icarian figure within 5 clear sight spaces of Nessa Scirh is destroyed by a normal or special attack by an opponent’s figure, roll the 20-sided die before removing that figure. If you roll a 16 or higher, ignore any wounds and immediately move the Icarian figure up to 6 spaces to a space adjacent to Nessa Scirh. If it is not possible to move the figure adjacent to Nessa Scirh, destroy the figure.

ICARIAN DOMINATION
    After taking a turn with Nessa Scirh, you may take a turn with 1 Icarian squad or 1 Icarian hero you control. Any figure taking a turn with Icarian Domination must start their turn adjacent to Nessa Scirh.

ICARIAN FANATICISM
    Nessa Scirh adds 1 die to her defense for each Icarian figure adjacent to her.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sun May 24, 2015 10:27 am

ICARIAN AUGURY
    If a common Icarian figure within 5 clear sight spaces of Nessa Scirh is destroyed by a normal or special attack by an opponent’s figure, roll the 20-sided die before removing that figure. If you roll a 16 or higher, ignore any wounds and immediately move the Icarian figure up to 6 spaces to a space adjacent to Nessa Scirh. A common Icarian figure is never attacked when leaving an engagement when using Icarian Augury. If it is not possible to move the figure adjacent to Nessa Scirh, destroy the figure.

I added the sentence about leaving engagements. OP is updated.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:59 pm