Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

W4: Nessa Scirh - FINAL (Released)

Nomad

Re: W4: Nessa Scirh - FINAL (Released)

Post  Nomad on Sun May 24, 2015 1:04 pm

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: NESSA SCIRH

THEME TEST: Are there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that do not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character should be able to do? Also consider whether or not this character's powers should affect destructible objects. INCONCLUSIVE. Nessa looks great in the Cultist army. You are right, the big Scythe does need to be part of the power – I kept thinking to myself that should be included in there somewhere.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play? INCONCLUSIVE. It was fun to use her to spring board the Cultists out of the start zone. It was really quite difficult to get her into position later in the battle where she could take a turn with more than one or two Cultists after taking her turn.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying? PASS. Nothing annoying. She was only able to pull of the Augury power once out of four attempts.

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable? PASS. Augury was successful one out of four attempts. Domination worked great in the first round, but didn’t play a huge impact later on. I was not able to get her close enough to get an attack off and bond with the Cultists to get attacks off as well. She got a couple of extra dice on defense a couple of times, but by the time she was picked off by the 4th, there weren’t any Cultists left.

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game? PASS. I like the powers, but she seems to be missing something. I’m not sold that she benefits the Cultists all that much. She slows them down when trying to keep them in range for the Augury power.

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately? PASS.

SYNERGIES TEST: Think of all the current cards that would have synergy with the unit card. Are there any factors that could break the game by making a unit too powerful or too weak? PASS.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be over amplified and break the game? INCONCLUSIVE – more testing needed.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting? INCONCLUSIVE. I think another squad of Cultists would have been better given that she is 90 points.

MIRROR TEST: Consider the test unit against itself. Are there any loops that would upset the balance of the Game? PASS.

ARMY TEST

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary. [insert pass/fail, point value, and brief summary] INCONCLUSIVE. Something is missing with Nessa. She is too expensive for what she offers. I am either going to drop her points or beef her up and make her more of an attacking threat. Your thoughts would be appreciated. I know it was only one play test, but when coupled with Kai’s, I acknowledge that change is needed.

Map: Custom by Damon that included RotV and BftU

Army 1 (Damon): Nhah Scirh Cultists x4, Valestrio Scirh, Nessa Scirh, Guilty McCreach = 500 points.
    VS
    Army 2 (Damon): Charros, Thorgrim, 4th Mass Line x3 = 500 points.

Battle Report:
    The Scirh surged forward to go on the offensive early, taking out a couple of 4th and even putting a wound on Charros while still in his start zone. The 4th decided to pod up around Thorgrim and use Wait and Fire most of the battle, slowly eliminating all Scirh coming their way. It turned into a route as the Scirh were over-extended. After regrouping, the Scirh did manage to take out quite a few 4th as they left Thorgrim’s protection to do some cultist hunting. The Valiant army won with a 1-wound Charros (who never received an OM), full-life Thorgrim, and 3 4th Mass remaining. I called it with Guilty still left in the start zone. Valiant had 311 points left on the board.

Final thoughts: I’ll come up with some ideas on how to change her for you all to give input on, or, suggest some ideas.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sun May 24, 2015 4:11 pm

Life is lowered by one, attack increased by one, defense increased by two. Icarian Fanaticism has been deleted and replaced by Reaper's Scythe. Feedback please.

NESSA SCIRH

Figure- Confontration, Scorpions, Shamir Hero Box, Claudia Nessalith

General: Valkrill
    Planet: Icaria

Species: Icarian
    Unique Hero
    Class: Doyen
    Personality: Dominating
    Medium 5

Life: 5
    Move: 5
    Range: 1
    Attack: 4
    Defense: 3
    90 Points

ICARIAN AUGURY
    If a common Icarian figure within 5 clear sight spaces of Nessa Scirh is destroyed by a normal or special attack by an opponent’s figure, roll the 20-sided die before removing that figure. If you roll a 16 or higher, ignore any wounds and immediately move the Icarian figure up to 6 spaces to a space adjacent to Nessa Scirh. A common Icarian figure is never attacked when leaving an engagement when using Icarian Augury. If it is not possible to move the figure adjacent to Nessa Scirh, destroy the figure.

ICARIAN DOMINATION
    After taking a turn with Nessa Scirh, you may take a turn with 1 Icarian squad or 1 Icarian hero you control. Any figure taking a turn with Icarian Domination must start their turn adjacent to Nessa Scirh.

REAPER'S SCYTHE
    When Nessa Scirh attacks an adjacent figure, you may choose one figure that is also adjacent to Nessa Scirh. If the defending figure is destroyed from Nessa Scirh’s attack, the chosen figure receives 1 wound.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Tue May 26, 2015 10:44 am

Like the Reaper's Scythe better. If it feels too cumbersome for squad figures for Icarian Domination maybe make the figure must be within X amount of spaces (2 or 3 at max, so you still have some restriction).
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Tue May 26, 2015 12:00 pm

What is you changed it from:

ICARIAN DOMINATION
    After taking a turn with Nessa Scirh, you may take a turn with 1 Icarian squad or 1 Icarian hero you control. Any figure taking a turn with Icarian Domination must start their turn adjacent to Nessa Scirh.

to ...

ICARIAN DOMINATION
    Before taking a turn with Nessa Scirh, you may take a turn with 1 Icarian squad or 1 Icarian hero you control. Any figure taking a turn with Icarian Domination must start their turn adjacent to Nessa Scirh.

If it is "Before taking a turn .. " it will let Nessa decide where she ends her movement.  This way she can be following her troops instead of the other way around.  And you can envision her 'cracking the whip' to get her troops moving and then her following up for more domination.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:42 pm

Valerio, Nessa, and the Cultists were victorious over a Nakita and Microcorp build. Nessa played much better in this test in my opinion. We went with the recent stats/powers that I posted and reworded the Icarian Domination power per Kai's suggestion:

ICARIAN DOMINATION
    Before taking a turn with Nessa Scirh, you may take a turn with 1 Icarian squad or 1 Icarian hero you control. Any figure taking a turn with Icarian Domination must start their turn adjacent to Nessa Scirh.

I even got a couple of Scythe attacks in, but they weren't successful. She didn't manage to save any Cultists with the Augury power. I really liked how she played - more play tests are due.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:42 am

Play test report . . .

Derek gave the Cultists, Nessa, and Valestrio while Damon went with Tu-Rok-Sa, Groks x2, Ne-Gok-Sa, and Me-Burq-Sa.

Derek indicated that everything looks good with Nessa. I am content with where she is at. I'll do some more play testing to see if there is anything that we need to tweak, but she is very close. I'll start thinking about the bio and perhaps the card soon.

OP is updated with the recent tweaks.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:04 am

Here is the card for Nessa . . . I'm still thinking about the bio (yes, since July)

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Mon May 30, 2016 7:16 pm

The OP has been updated to include the bio and synergies.

I vote that we move Nessa from play-testing to final status. What do you think?
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Tue May 31, 2016 1:52 am

Nomad wrote:The OP has been updated to include the bio and synergies.

I vote that we move Nessa from play-testing to final status. What do you think?

Agreed.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:21 pm

We need one more vote to make Nessa final. We've had no tweaks to stats or powers in over a year. After a dozen play-tests, she should be good to go.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:13 pm

I am declaring Nessa FINAL
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:28 pm

Nomad wrote:I am declaring Nessa FINAL

BOOM! Done.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:30 am

Boom, done, indeed. We have a number of figures to work on. Good to have a few in the books.

Please review the OP and let me know if I missed anything in the synergies, etc.

I have also declared the following final, more or less:

Valestrio Scirh
    Khovairian Assassins
    Roukai the Rune Caster
    Malleus

Please review their book as well for synergies. Valestrio is in the OP, the others are in my last post since I can't edit the OP.

Thanks!
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:12 am

Great potential for the Cultist army! They are so much better against special attackers with their Iron Resolve .. that in our last playtest they were certainly over-priced at 80-points a squad for 3 defense.

I need to work on my OM strategy with Nessa. I think I should consider her squad bonding as more of a 'bonus' for moving her into position for Augury and less a traditional bonding.

Very cool design. Really liked the build of:

Cultists x4 ... 320
    Nessa ... 410
    Valestrio ... 470
    Emperor Andask ... 600

Huskies16 played this build perfectly .. me, not so much .. but I would like to take another shot at it : )

Thanks for cool designs that bump the Cultists!!
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:13 pm

Another new card attempt. Please check for errors and quality.

Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:59 pm

The new high-res cards look amazing!! The font looks slightly different and the BOLD power-titles seem much "bolder."

Excellent job & artistry.

I haven't re-read the text powers but the images are fantastic.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:58 am

Nessa has been released on Heroscapers - 12/17/2016.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:36 pm