Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

W3 Goblin Slashers- released

Lord Kai

Re: W3 Goblin Slashers- released

Post  Lord Kai on Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:14 pm

Glad that you got in some games with Chuck and the Goblins!

We can probably keep the Slashers at 50 points. It might make them A/A- but I'm okay with that.

The Cutters do have the advantage of Scurry - where you might be lucky to kill one each OM. You can wipe out an entire squad of Slashers pretty easily since they only have 2 defense.

I still need to do a play test with Slashers + Brutes. That will really determine if the Mob Movement is too powerful to stay at 50 points.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:41 pm

I really put in a bunch of time making cards for 4-figures! Grrr . . . but it is fun.

Anyways, here is an attempt at the card for the Slashers.

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:34 pm

We have done a few more play tests with the Slashers - they are good with Brutes.

I vote we move them from Brainstorming to Play testing.

Any thoughts on the initial attempt at the card?
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:30 pm

Nomad wrote:We have done a few more play tests with the Slashers - they are good with Brutes.

I vote we move them from Brainstorming to Play testing.

Any thoughts on the initial attempt at the card?

Not sure about "Swarming" as a personality.

What about Menancing or Ravenous?
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:53 pm

Card looks good. I think the goblins could use a few more playtests to come up with pointing. In reading through the playtests the dogrider was suggested at 60 (when he had 2 life) and seemed to be the key to success. The slashers seemed pretty good when paired with the Brutes. I am not sold on anything yet so menacing or ravenous should definitely be considered for personality.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:17 pm

Ah - back to the personality discussion from 3.5 months ago. Yep, I am open to most anything if Swarming doesn't work. Menacing sounds OK to me.

More play tests are in order. I still consider these guys in "Play Testing" rather than "Final Editing" as the thread title states. I don't think we need to change any of the stats/powers - just a matter of getting the points right, as Derek mentioned.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:58 pm

If there are objections to swarming I would choose menacing from the mentioned options.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:19 am

Love the Goblins. I can't believe nothing has been posted for months, but they have been play tested since.

My initial thought with these guys was that we already have the Cutters, what else can Goblins do?  . . . but after the play tests (including yesterday's), they are very nuanced when considering Brutes, placement of figures, getting bonus attacks and defense dice - the possibilities are thought provoking and fun. I might try an army with Brutes, Cutters, Slashers, and a couple of Dog Riders (as long as I don't run out of start spaces). This is what I like, new figures that cause me to think about new combinations.

I BE GOBLIN, TOO.

Per our discussion and with my suggestions (in red), here is how the OP might be changed:

Figures:
    Pathfinder, We Be Goblins #001, Goblin Warrior (C),
    Pathfinder, We Be Goblins #004 Goblin Warchanter (C),
    Pathfinder, We Be Goblins #002 Goblin Hero (C),
    Pathfinder, We Be Goblins #003 Goblin Commando (C)

Planet: Eberron
    General: Utgar

Species: Goblin
    Common Squad
    Class: Slasher
    Personality: Menacing
    Size: Small 3

Life: 1
    Move: 6
    Range: 1
    Attack: 2
    Defense: 2

GOBLIN MOB STRATEGIC BONDING
    Before taking a turn with the Goblin Slashers, you may first take a turn with a Goblin Hero you control. If you do not take a turn with any Goblin Hero you control, you may move up to 8 small or medium Goblins you control. You may attack with any 4 Goblin Slashers that moved this turn.

STRENGTH IN NUMBERS
    When attacking with a Goblin Slasher, if there are at least 2 other Goblin Slashers engaged with the defending figure, add 1 die to the attack.

SCALE
    When moving up or down levels of terrain, Goblin Slashers may add 2 to their height.

Here is a new card with suggested changes, improved fogging, and a better background:

Last edited by Nomad on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Before taking a turn with the Goblin Slashers, you may first take a turn with a Goblin Hero you control. If you do not take a turn with any Goblin Hero you control, you may move up to 8 small or medium Goblins you control. You may attack with any 4 Goblin Slashers that moved this turn.

I do expect to get some comments on Heroscapers.com that the wording of this power should be different (especially Scytale).

Before taking a turn with the Goblin Slashers, you may first take a turn with a Goblin Hero you control. If you do not take a turn with any Goblin Hero you control, before taking a turn with the Goblin Slashers, you may move 4 other small or medium Goblins you control 6 spaces. You may attack with any 4 Goblin Slashers that moved this turn.

This clarifies that if you are not taking a full bonding turn with a Goblin Hero, that you have "movement bonding" with other Goblins.  This also fixes any Move Glyph or Road bonus movement - so makes it more like the Blasts moving the Gladiatrons.  It also clarifies any "after moving before attacking" turn questions.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:38 pm

That sounds good to me and is consistent with the other figures that have a similar power.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:03 pm

I do expect to get some comments on Heroscapers.com that the wording of this power should be different (especially Scytale).

Before taking a turn with the Goblin Slashers, you may first take a turn with a Goblin Hero you control. If you do not take a turn with any Goblin Hero you control, before taking a turn with the Goblin Slashers, you may move 4 other small or medium Goblins you control 6 spaces. You may attack with any 4 Goblin Slashers that moved this turn.

I am not 100% sold that this language is cleaner. "before taking a turn with the Goblin Slashers, you may move 4 (other) small or medium Goblins you control 6 spaces."

this implies that the other small or medium Goblins you are moving are not part of the Slasher turn. (With other).

you can move the same goblin, and then take a turn with that goblin. (without other).

"you may attack with any 4 Goblin Slashers that moved this turn". This tries to clean it up but is contradicting other sentences about only moving, so in a way it is less clear.

So a couple of remedies could be to move any 4 small or medium goblins 6 spaces, then take a turn with the goblin slashers (allowing a potentially great threat range).
    or move 4 small or medium goblins 6 spaces, then take a turn with the slashers, but they couldn't move the first time.
    or move 8 small or medium goblins 6 spaces, but then you can only attack with 4 that moved. My option of the three, but then Runks power is mitigated to a bit, and I am not so sure our increase in price is necessary.

But maybe I am wrong about the proposed language and is clean and the best way to go?
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:52 pm

Derek, I see your point (after I read it a number of times and thought about it a bit).

How about this? Just drop the last sentence . . .

Before taking a turn with the Goblin Slashers, you may first take a turn with a Goblin Hero you control. If you do not take a turn with any Goblin Hero you control, before taking a turn with the Goblin Slashers, you may move 4 other small or medium Goblins you control 6 spaces.

OR, just keep it the way it was. The more I think about it, I'm not quite sure what the issue is/was. I'm OK with giving any of the goblins the road bonus and movement glyphs. It does increase the value quite a bit, but that was reflected in their point jump. The order in which you attack is strategic . . . you have the option of attacking with any of the four out of the possible eight that moved.

Here is the original:

Derek S

Post  Derek S on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:25 pm

Before taking a turn with the Goblin Slashers, you may first take a turn with a Goblin Hero you control. If you do not take a turn with any Goblin Hero you control, before taking a turn with the Goblin Slashers, you may move 4 other small or medium Goblins you control 6 spaces.
    Does the 4 other small or medium goblins include the goblin slashers? or 4 other (not slashers)? I think I prefer the original language and allowing for all 8 to receive glyph/bonuses as it is more clear. If we don't keep the original (I am OK with that too), I would like to reconsider their points. In all the tests I have done with them they haven't fared that well, although at times the seem to be... and putting a restriction might really nerf them.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:59 pm

After much consideration, I strongly prefer the original language as well. I think they will play more strategic than changing the power by just doing the movement bonding option. In addition, this is how we have play tested them and it is reflective of the points.

Goblins Ascend!
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:54 am

No problem, go with the original language.

We aren't trying to pass C3V or SoV standards/judges and those are the people that I am expecting to have concerns with the language. The Slashers play very well as is - so no need to change them.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:11 pm

I think that the language would be scrutinized if the power was meant as movement bonding. But this is a different power - kind of like the zombies.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:14 pm

The Book of Goblin Slashers

NWHC WAVE 3- Ascent of the Goblins- Goblins and Guardians

- Rulings and Clarifications -_______________________________________

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered
    Goblin Slashers: Goblin Mob Strategic Bonding
    -As Goblin Heroes, the following may benefit from the Slashers’ GOBLIN MOB STRATEGIC BONDING activation bonus.
    Zard Manstabber, Runk Battlesinger, Goblin Dog Rider.
    Goblin Slashers: Goblin Mob Strategic Bonding
    -As small or medium Goblins, the following may benefit from the Slashers’ GOBLIN MOB STRATEGIC BONDING movement synergy.
    Goblin Slashers, Goblin Cutters, Horned Skull Brutes, Zard Manstabber, Runk Battlesinger, Goblin Dog Rider.
    Horned Skull Brutes: Expendable Rabble
    - Because the Goblin Slashers are small Goblin figures, a Horned Skull Brute may use EXPENDABLE RABBLE to sacrifice a Goblin Cutter in order to ignore a wound.

Synergy Benefits Received
    Zard Manstabber: Goblin Defense Aura
    Being a small Goblin, the Goblin Slashers may benefit from Zard Manstabber’s GOBLIN DEFENSE AURA defense bonus.
    -Being a Goblin, the Goblin Slashers may benefit from Runk BattleSinger’s BATTLE CHARGE movement bonus.
    Goblin Dog Rider: Secluded Prey
    -Being a Goblin, the Goblin Slashers may benefit from the Goblin Dog Rider’s SECLUDED PREY attack bonus.
    Torin: Evil Eye Protection
    As Small Utgar figures, the Goblin slashers may benefit from Torin's EVIL EYE PROTECTION Defensive Ability.

Synergy Imposed

Bio-
    Michael Davion looks around, feeling uncomfortable, uneasy... and out of nowhere comes a smallish green horde, overwhelming him with sheer numbers.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:25 am

The Slashers have been released on Heroscapers.com

Well done!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:24 pm