Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

W3 Commander Kaelex - released

Nomad

Re: W3 Commander Kaelex - released

Post  Nomad on Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:08 pm

Any thoughts on the Species?

Any thoughts on the wording changes to the powers?

Thoughts for making Kaelex final?
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:34 am

Nomad wrote:Any thoughts on the Species?

Any thoughts on the wording changes to the powers?

Thoughts for making Kaelex final?

Everything looks good. I like the changes. I'll work in the planet name in the Bio.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:33 pm

Looks good although sadly I am yet to playtest this guy.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:20 pm

My opinion is that we are ready to make Kaelex final.

The only issue to clear up in my mind is the consistency between species and planet name, they are not consistent.

Kai, would you prefer Magrodon and Magrodox, or Magridon and Magridox?
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:14 pm

Nomad wrote:My opinion is that we are ready to make Kaelex final.

The only issue to clear up in my mind is the consistency between species and planet name, they are not consistent.

Kai, would you prefer Magrodon and Magrodox, or Magridon and Magridox?

Species: Magrodon

Planet: Magrodorax
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:09 am

What about keeping his planet in classic lore, the same as Warden 816? A different species on the same planet.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:29 am

Warden 816 comes from Isadora. The only other figure to come from that planet is Mistress Isadora. Changing Kaelex to come from Isadora would be fine with me, but Isadora seems to be a planet populated by Soulborgs and Kaelex isn't a soulborg.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:39 pm

Nomad wrote:Warden 816 comes from Isadora. The only other figure to come from that planet is Mistress Isadora. Changing Kaelex to come from Isadora would be fine with me, but Isadora seems to be a planet populated by Soulborgs and Kaelex isn't a soulborg.

Right, that was my thinking ... Kaelex is not a soulborg so he was from a different planet. I just need to write that up in the Bio.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:30 pm

First draft at BIO:

--
    Commander Kaelex

The Magrodons are a scientifically advanced race of humanoids that respect only power.  Their ‘might makes right’ mentality created a society of brutal soldiers, led by terrible despots who sought to dominate the other races of their planet at any cost.   One such tyrant was Kaelex Thrane, a former sniper and saboteur, who advanced through the ranks by assassination.  Kaelex’s uncanny ability to rally his forces into fanatical drones made him feared throughout the realm.  A student of guerrilla warfare, Kaelex could lead a small number of soldiers behind enemy lines and eliminate his targets with stealth and surprise.  His expertise with explosives, and his troopers willingness to becoming living bombs, made him even more effective.
    Kaelex’s ascension to rulership was interrupted when his allies realized that he was a greater threat than the enemy.  At a ceremony which was to promote him in rank, Kaelex found himself under attack by his fellow officers.  After countless blades descended, the dying Kaelex took his last breath and triggered powerful explosives within his garments.  The blast shredded his conspirators and yet he survived because of the intervention of Utgar himself.

Transported to Valhalla moments before his demise, the Kyrie General offered Kaelex a new life, new soldiers, and a new purpose.  Kaelex accepted the offer immediately and was given the rank of Commander.  Utgar’s first assignment was the protection of the Wellsprings in the Volcarren Wastelands.  There Commander Kaelex would lead a force of Dumetef guards, training them in new tactics.  Kaelex also quickly allied himself with the Soulborgs from Alpha Prime, including Warden 816 and Mistress Isadora.  Utgar also calls upon the commander for special operations where only a few veteran soldiers can strike quickly.  In those missions, Kaelex has been known to coordinate attacks for with the Drow.  But whatever the task, Utgar has found a new villain that is quickly striking terror into the hearts even the most valiant of Valhalla.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:12 pm

Awesome bio! I really got to know Kaelex. It all sounds good but here are a few edits/suggestions for a couple of sentences (compare to the original).

Kaelex also quickly allied himself with the Soulborgs from Alpha Prime, Warden 816 and Mistress Isadora. Utgar also calls upon the Commander for special operations where only a few veteran soldiers can strike quickly. In these missions, Kaelex has been known to coordinate attacks for the Drow.

I think Kaelex is ready for release. The OP needs to be updated and the Book done.

Here is his new card (I've played with the fogging on the images). Let me know if you see anything that can be improved.

Derek S

Post  Derek S on Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:09 pm

Great Bio!  Along with Damon's suggestions above I would recommend the following change

"Transported to Valhalla moments before his demise, the Kyrie General offered Kaelex a new life, new soldiers, and a new purpose"
    Transported to Valhalla moments before his demise, Kaelex was offered new life by the Kyrie General, new soldiers, and a new purpose"

On Guard Patrol Bonding I think the 2nd sentence should read "Any Guard Heroes Hero"

DEADMAN'S SWITCH
    If Commander Kaelex receives enough wounds to destroyed, roll 3 attack dice.  One at a time for each skull rolled, you may inflict one wound on any figure that is adjacent to Commander Kaelex or to one guard you control that follows Utgar.  If a guard you control is destroyed with Deadman's Switch then choose 1 figure adjacent to that guard to receive 1 wound.  A figure cannot receive more than 1 wound from Deadman's Switch.  After using Deadman's Switch, remove Commander Kaelex from the battlefield.

to

DEAD MAN'S SWITCH
    If Commander Kaelex receives enough wounds to destroyed, roll 3 attack dice.  For each skull rolled, you may inflict one wound on any figure adjacent to Commander Kaelex or to one guard you control that follows Utgar.  If a guard you control is destroyed with Dead Man's Switch, choose 1 figure adjacent to that guard to receive 1 wound.  A figure cannot receive more than 1 wound from Dead Man's Switch.  After using Dead Man's Switch, remove Commander Kaelex from the battlefield.

Not sure if Dead Man's is better than Deadman's.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:01 am

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions on the Bio.  Here is the update:

Commander Kaelex

The Magrodons are a scientifically advanced race of humanoids that respect only power.  Their ‘might makes right’ mentality created a society of brutal soldiers, led by terrible despots who sought to dominate the other races of their planet at any cost.   One such tyrant was Kaelex Thrane, a former sniper and saboteur, who advanced through the ranks by assassination.  Kaelex’s uncanny ability to rally his forces into fanatical drones made him feared throughout the realm.  A student of guerrilla warfare, Kaelex could lead a small number of soldiers behind enemy lines and eliminate his targets with stealth and surprise.  His expertise with explosives, and his troopers' willingness to becoming living bombs, made him even more effective.

Kaelex’s ascension to rulership was interrupted when his allies realized that he was a greater threat than the enemy.  At a ceremony which was to promote him in rank, Kaelex found himself under attack by his fellow officers.  After countless blades descended, the dying Kaelex took his last breath and triggered powerful explosives within his garments.  The blast shredded his conspirators and yet he survived because of the intervention of Utgar himself.

Transported to Valhalla moments before his demise, Kaelex was offered new life by the Kyrie General, new soldiers, and a new purpose.  Kaelex accepted the offer immediately and was given the rank of Commander.  Utgar’s first assignment was the protection of the Wellsprings in the Volcarren Wastelands.  There Commander Kaelex would lead a force of Dumetef guards, training them in new tactics.  Kaelex also quickly allied himself with the Soulborgs from Alpha Prime, Warden 816 and Mistress Isadora.  Utgar also calls upon the Commander for special operations where only a few veteran soldiers can strike quickly.  In these missions, Kaelex has been known to coordinate attacks for the Drow.  But whatever the task, Utgar has found a new villain that is quickly striking terror into the hearts even the most valiant of Valhalla.

Last edited by Lord Kai on Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:01 am

Derek S wrote:Great Bio!  Along with Damon's suggestions above I would recommend the following change

DEAD MAN'S SWITCH
    If Commander Kaelex receives enough wounds to destroyed, roll 3 attack dice.  For each skull rolled, you may inflict one wound on any figure adjacent to Commander Kaelex or to one guard you control that follows Utgar.  If a guard you control is destroyed with Dead Man's Switch, choose 1 figure adjacent to that guard to receive 1 wound.  A figure cannot receive more than 1 wound from Dead Man's Switch.  After using Dead Man's Switch, remove Commander Kaelex from the battlefield.

Not sure if Dead Man's is better than Deadman's.  

After a little online research, Dead Man's Switch is the correct spelling.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:45 pm

Kaelex bio suggestions . . .

The Magrodons are a scientifically advanced race of humanoids that respect only power. Their ‘might makes right’ mentality created a society of brutal soldiers, led by terrible despots who sought to dominate the other races of their planet at any cost.  One such tyrant was Kaelex Thrane, a former sniper and saboteur, who advanced through the ranks by assassination. Kaelex’s uncanny ability to rally his forces into fanatical drones made him feared throughout the realm. A student of guerrilla warfare, Kaelex could lead a small number of soldiers behind enemy lines and eliminate his targets with stealth and surprise. His expertise with explosives, and his troopers' willingness to becoming become living bombs, made him even more effective.

Kaelex’s ascension to rulership ruler-ship was interrupted when his allies realized that he was a greater threat than the enemy. At a ceremony which was feigned to promote him in rank, Kaelex found himself under attack by his fellow officers. After countless blades descended, the dying Kaelex took his last breath and triggered powerful explosives within his garments. The blast shredded his conspirators and yet he survived because of the intervention of Utgar himself.

Transported to Valhalla moments before his demise, Kaelex was offered new life by the Kyrie General, along with new soldiers, and a new purpose. Kaelex accepted the offer immediately and was given the rank of Commander. Utgar’s first assignment for Kaelex was the protection of the Wellsprings in the Volcarren Wastelands. There, Commander Kaelex would lead a force of Dumetef Guards, training them in new tactics. Kaelex also quickly allied himself with the Soulborgs from Alpha Prime, Warden 816 and Mistress Isadora. Utgar also calls upon the Commander for special operations where only a few veteran soldiers can strike quickly. In these missions, Kaelex has been known to coordinate attacks for the Drow. But whatever the task, Utgar has found a new villain that is quickly striking terror into the hearts of even the most valiant of Valhalla.

Here is the new card with the change in the name of the special power and the fix in the text (thanks Derek). Please check it carefully.

Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:16 pm

Commander Kaelex

The Magrodons are a scientifically advanced race of humanoids that respect only power. Their ‘might makes right’ mentality created a society of brutal soldiers, led by terrible despots who sought to dominate the other races of their planet at any cost. One such tyrant was Kaelex Thrane, a former sniper and saboteur, who advanced through the ranks by assassination. Kaelex’s uncanny ability to rally his forces into fanatical drones made him feared throughout the realm. A student of guerrilla warfare, Kaelex could lead a small number of soldiers behind enemy lines and eliminate his targets with stealth and surprise. His expertise with explosives, and his troopers’ willingness to become living bombs, made him even more effective.

Kaelex’s ascension to ruler-ship was interrupted when his allies realized that he was a greater threat than the enemy. At a ceremony which was to promote him in rank, Kaelex found himself under attack by his fellow officers. After countless blades descended, the dying Kaelex took his last breath and triggered powerful explosives within his garments. The blast shredded his conspirators and yet he survived because of the intervention of Utgar himself.

Transported to Valhalla moments before his demise, Kaelex was offered new life by the Kyrie General, along with new soldiers, and a new purpose. Kaelex accepted the offer immediately and was given the rank of Commander. Utgar’s first assignment was the protection of the Wellsprings in the Volcarren Wastelands. There Commander Kaelex would lead a force of Dumetef guards, training them in new tactics. Kaelex also quickly allied himself with the Soulborgs from Alpha Prime, Warden 816 and Mistress Isadora. Utgar also calls upon the Commander for special operations where only a few veteran soldiers can strike quickly. In these missions, Kaelex has been known to coordinate attacks for the Drow. But whatever the task, Utgar has found a new villain that is quickly striking terror into the hearts of even the most valiant of Valhalla.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:57 pm

Thanks for accepting input. It's the teacher part of me, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm not always correct.

I know it is just a bio, but, just a couple of suggestions . . . really, I'm not trying to be nit-picky.

"Utgar’s first assignment was the protection of the Wellsprings in the Volcarren Wastelands." I think this is meant to be Kaelex's first assignment, received from Utgar. A simple fix would be "Utgar's first assignment for Kaelex was . . ."

The 'g' in Dumetuf Guards should be capitalized.

Awesome bio. I should let you write all of my bios. Are you willing?
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:55 am

Card looks error free. After the bio is complete, I vote this guy ready for release.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:03 pm

Here is what I have for the books.  Need to clean up the Alpha-Prime Enforcer book.

The Book of Commander Kaelex

NWHC WAVE 3- ?

- Rulings and Clarifications -_______________________________________

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered
    - Alpha Prime Enforcer: Bodyguard Detail

Being a Unique Hero that is a Warden who follows Utgar, after revealing an order marker on Commander Kaelex, you may take a turn with up to 2 Alpha Prime Enforcers.
    - Commander Kaelex: Guard Patrol Bonding
    Common Guard Heroes that follow Utgar may be activated with Commander Kaelex’s GUARD  PATROL BONDING.  Common Guard Heroes that follow Utgar include: Drow Chain Fighter, Dumutef Guards, Alpha-Prime Enforcer.
    -Commander Kaelex: Dead Man’s Switch
    Commander Kaelex may choose a Guard you control that follows Utgar to receive a wound.  If the Guard is destroyed you may choose an adjacent figure to receive a wound.  Guards that follow Utgar include: Drow Chainfighter, Dumutef Guard, Marrden Nagrubs, Obsidian Guards, Zettian Guards, Zettian Infantry.

Synergy Benefits Received
    - Ornak: Red Flag of Fury Aura

As a Unique Hero that follows Utgar, Commander Kaelex may benefit from Ornak’s RED FLAG OF FURY activation synergy.
    -Torin: Evil Eye Protection
    As a Medium figure that follows Utgar, Commander Kaelex may benefit from Torin's Evil Eye Protection defensive ability.

Synergy Imposed
    -Commander Kaelex: Dead Man’s Switch

Commander Kaelex may choose a Guard you control that follows Utgar to receive a wound.  If the Guard is destroyed you may choose an adjacent figure to receive a wound.  Guards that follow Utgar include: Drow Chainfighter, Dumutef Guard, Marrden Nagrubs, Obsidian Guards, Zettian Guards, Zettian Infantry.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:01 pm

I added the Bio to the OP. Thanks for the wording suggestions Smile
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:17 am

I think it would help the transfer of info it the book was in the OP as well.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:19 pm

Commander Kaelex: OP updated with final release format.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:51 pm

Thank you for updating the OP!

With the first power, I corrected some capitalizing/spacing/etc. to be consistent with Heroscape usage and edited the second sentence to specify that it is only when the Guard is taking a turn with this power that it needs to be in clear sight of Kaelex or adjacent to a Unique Hero.

Here is my suggested wording for the power:

GUARD PATROL BONDING
    After revealing an Order Marker on Commander Kaelex, instead of taking a turn with him, you may take a turn with 3 Common Guard Heroes you control that follow Utgar. Any Guard Hero that is taking a turn with Guard Patrol Bonding must be within clear sight of Commander Kaelex or adjacent to a Unique Hero that follows Utgar before moving.

For the second power, I corrected some capitalizing/spacing per Heroscape usage and made the usage of one/1 consistent in the power.

Here is my suggestion:

DEAD MAN'S SWITCH
    If Commander Kaelex receives enough wounds to destroyed, roll 3 attack dice. For each skull rolled, you may inflict 1 wound on any figure that is adjacent to Commander Kaelex or to 1 Guard you control that follows Utgar. If a Guard you control is destroyed with Dead Man's Switch, choose 1 figure adjacent to that Guard to receive 1 wound. A figure cannot receive more than 1 wound from Dead Man's Switch. After using Dead Man's Switch, remove Commander Kaelex from the battlefield.

Here is the updated card front. The backside will be updated when we are ready.

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:41 pm

Commander Kaelex has been released on Heroscapers.com.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:51 pm