Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W4 - Surion - Air Primordial - ready for final

Nomad
    Nomad

W4 - Surion - Air Primordial - ready for final - Page 2 Empty Re: W4 - Surion - Air Primordial - ready for final

Post  Nomad Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:53 pm

Sorry that I've missed out on the discussion the last three weeks . . . all my spare time for heroscape has been devoted to getting our Wave 3 up on Heroscapers.com.

kai wrote:MASTER OF THE WINDS
    After revealing a numbered order marker on this Army Card, before taking a turn with Surion Windseeker, you may take a turn with 2 Common Heroes that have the Air Mastery special power. Figures that have the Flying or Stealth Flying special power subtract 1 from their defense dice when attacked by Surion Windseeker's normal attack.

CYCLONE SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range: 1 Attack: 4
    Choose an Air Elemental you control within 5 clear sight spaces of Surion Windseeker. Before attacking, you may move the chosen Air Elemental up to 3 spaces. You may attack with Cyclone Special Attack up to 3 times at any point before, during, or after this move as long as the Air Elemental is on a space where it could end its movement. A figure may only be attacked once per turn.

Here is my understanding just going off the text of the powers, let me know if this is correct. Surion bonds with two Air Elementals (2 attacks) and then he takes his turn (let's say he uses the Special Attack) which means he will get to move and then have up to three attacks (for a total of 5 attacks). But during his attack, I can move around an Air Elemental (with the point of repositioning the air elemental). I guess I'm not understanding the point of moving the air elemental around other than repositioning it for the next turn - then why not just move it once three spaces and call it good? I am not understanding how Surion turns the Air Elemental into a 'living weapon'. Or, is the intent to have the Air Elemental do the attacking? If so, that needs to be stated in the power. I'm just not sure of the intent - any help would be appreciated.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W4 - Surion - Air Primordial - ready for final - Page 2 Empty Re: W4 - Surion - Air Primordial - ready for final

Post  Lord Kai Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback.  I could use help translating the concept into game mechanic stats.

Concept:
    Surion uses his magic to transform an Air Elemental figure into a "cyclone" (tornado, whirlwind) special attack.  After transforming the elemental into the Cyclone, Surion can move the cyclone to hit up to three targets.  

Mechanics:
    The figure 'making' the attack is Surion (it is his special power) but he only attacks figures adjacent to the Air Elemental.  Since it is a special attack, we don't have to worry about the Elemental running into Counter Strike.  Engagement Strike/Braced Spear would still work against the Elemental since that figure is moving adjacent. The idea of moving the figure was to simulate the tornado spinning and to give a better chance to hit multiple targets. It does increase the threat range of the Air Elemental and if you do destroy some figures it would allow a repositioning for Vortex.

--

My first idea for Cyclone was to "Chose an Air Elemental ... " and then do a Shotgun-style/Force Orb Special Attack to hit all opponent's figures adjacent that Air Elemental.  This was much cleaner .. but I was trying for something more original.

Essentially this could mean up to 5 activations:
    1. Air Elemental
    2. Air Elemental
    3. Cyclone
    4. Cyclone
    5. Cyclone

Three attacks of 4 is powerful, and better than Kaemon Awa.  But Surion is 110 points and requires another 30 points (Air Elemental) to make the attacks so I think of him at 140.

--

I did play-test this version of Surion with Cyclone Special Attack.  It was fairly powerful.  

AIR
    Surion Windseeker
    Air Elementals x8
    MicroCorp Troopers x2

vs

WOLF
    Greyspears
    Arktos
    Rune Caster
    Blade Dancers x3

I was able to pull off the attack a few times before the Air Elementals in range were destroyed.  Air Elementals are very vulnerable to ranged attacks (3 defense isn't much against ranged squads) but their Vortex is awesome at holding back melee.  In my play-test, the Vortex wasn't great at stopping Greyspears or the Varkaanan heroes because they are Large.

For Cyclone, I was able to engage Arktos and a Greyspear with an Air Elemental - make an attack to wound the Hero.  Then Surion moved into range, activated the Cyclone which destroyed the Greyspear and wounded Arktos.  On the next OM, Arktos killed the Elemental.  Surion brought up another Air buddy who inflicted a few more wounds.

There was a point where the Air Team lost initiative and I snuck in the Rune Caster with 6 attack and dropped Surion down to 1 Life.  He fell at the end of that round and I was stuck with 5 Air Elementals.

--
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:42 pm

OK, got it. Kind of.

A few more questions before I suggest wording changes . . .

1. Air Elemental
    2. Air Elemental
    - Surion moves -
    3. Cyclone - Air Elemental moves up to three spaces, attacks with 4 dice.
    4. Cyclone - Does the same AE have to move here, or can I choose a different one? If the original, does it still have to be within 5 spaces? If the original, does it still get to move 3 more spaces (that is the way I read it, because it is before a new attack)
    5. Cyclone - same questions as above.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:38 pm

The intent is to turn just one elemental into one cyclone.  The "chosen" elemental moves 3 up to 3 spaces and you attack up to 3 times.

As I re-read it - I can see that it was confusing and not very clear.

How about this version:

CYCLONE SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range: 1 Attack: 4
    Choose an Air Elemental you control within 5 clear sight spaces of Surion Windseeker. You may move the chosen Air Elemental up to 3 spaces.  At any point before, during, or after the chosen Air Elemental's movement, you may attack any adjacent figure, as long as the chosen Air Elemental is on a space where it could end its movement.  You may attack up to three figures and each figure may only be attack once.

Again the intent is to do a Kumiko style Ninjitus "Barrage" special attack. Surion is the one attacking but he's really controlling the Air Elemental to make the "Barrage."

I could probably drop the whole "use an Air Elemental" part of it, and just make it a Ranged Special attack : (
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:28 pm

After two play-tests today, here are some changes to Surion Windseeker.  The Cyclone Special Attack was fun and a little tricky, so it might need some re-wording.  Since it allowed up to three attacks of 4, Nomad noted that it was better than Q9's special.

Dropping Defense from 5 to 4.
    Dropping Special Attack from 4 to 3.

Also trying some new wording with Cyclone.

SURION WINDSEEKER
    Species: Primordial

Life: 5
    Move: 7
    Range: 1
    Attack: 3
    Defense: 4
    110 Points

MASTER OF THE WINDS
    After revealing a numbered order marker on this Army Card, before taking a turn with Surion Windseeker, you may take a turn with 2 Common Heroes that have the Air Mastery special power.  Figures that have the Flying or Stealth Flying special power subtract 1 from their defense dice when attacked by Surion Windseeker's normal attack.

CYCLONE ATTACK
    Instead of attacking, you may choose an Air Elemental you control within 5 clear sight spaces of Surion Windseeker. After taking at turn with Surion Windseeker, take a turn with the chosen Air Elemental. During that turn, the chosen Air Elemental may only move to 3 spaces.  At any point before, during, or after the chosen Air Elemental's movement, it may attack any adjacent figure, as long as the chosen Air Elemental is on a space where it could end its movement.  You may attack up to three figures and each figure may only be attack once.

STEALTH FLYING
    When counting spaces for Surion Windseeker’s movement, ignore elevations. Surion Windseeker may fly over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and fly over obstacles such as ruins. Surion Windseeker is engaged when he starts to fly, he will not take any leaving engagement attacks.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:17 am

I like the decreases to the defense and special attacks numbers.

Kai wrote:MASTER OF THE WINDS
    After revealing a numbered order marker on this Army Card, before taking a turn with Surion Windseeker, you may take a turn with 2 Common Heroes that have the Air Mastery special power. Figures that have the Flying or Stealth Flying special power subtract 1 from their defense dice when attacked by Surion Windseeker's normal attack.

This seems to me to be two different powers: 1) Bonding with the AEs, and 2) the Air Mastery power of the Air Elementals. I would separate them.

Kai wrote:CYCLONE ATTACK
    Instead of attacking, you may choose an Air Elemental you control within 5 clear sight spaces of Surion Windseeker. After taking at turn with Surion Windseeker, take a turn with the chosen Air Elemental. During that turn, the chosen Air Elemental may only move to 3 spaces. At any point before, during, or after the chosen Air Elemental's movement, it may attack any adjacent figure, as long as the chosen Air Elemental is on a space where it could end its movement. You may attack up to three figures and each figure may only be attack once.

A bit clearer to me, but . . . how does this sound?

CYCLONE SPECIAL ATTACK (By keeping it a special attack, it can't get height advantage)
    After moving and instead of attacking, you may choose one Air Elemental you control within 5 clear sight spaces of Surion Windseeker. The chosen Air Elemental may move up to 3 spaces and may attack up to 3 times at any point before, during, or after the chosen Air Elemental's movement, as long as the chosen Air Elemental is on a space where it could end its movement. The chosen Air Elemental cannot attack the same figure more than once.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:40 am

MASTER OF THE WINDS

CYCLONE ATTACK
    Instead of attacking, you may choose an Air Elemental you control within 5 clear sight spaces of Surion Windseeker. After taking at turn with Surion Windseeker, take a turn with the chosen Air Elemental. During that turn, the chosen Air Elemental may only move to 3 spaces. At any point before, during, or after the chosen Air Elemental's movement, it may attack any adjacent figure, as long as the chosen Air Elemental is on a space where it could end its movement. You may attack up to three figures and each figure may only be attack once.

STEALTH FLYING
    When counting spaces for Surion Windseeker’s movement, ignore elevations. Surion Windseeker may fly over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and fly over obstacles such as ruins. Surion Windseeker is engaged when he starts to fly, he will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

Damon wrote: Kai wrote:
    MASTER OF THE WINDS

This seems to me to be two different powers: 1) Bonding with the AEs, and 2) the Air Mastery power of the Air Elementals. I would separate them.

Kind of agree but that means the bonding may have to be dropped or have 4 powers.

If the bonding is dropped I wouldn't mind taking Cyclone this direction (which I do like as a Special).

CYCLONE SPECIAL ATTACK
    After moving and instead of attacking, you may choose up to 3 Air Elementals you control within 5 clear sight spaces of Surion Windseeker. The chosen Air Elementals may move up to 3 spaces and may attack up to 3 times at any point before, during, or after the chosen Air Elemental's movement, as long as the chosen Air Elemental is on a space where it could end its movement. A chosen Air Elemental cannot attack the same figure more than once. You may not attack more than 3 times total with Cyclone Special Attack.

I think this would help compensate for the loss of bonding but it might render is normal attack non existent. Just a thought.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:15 pm

I definitely want to keep the bonding, as that fits the theme of the Primordials. Otherwise I think taking a turn with 1 Air Elemental per OM is not going to be competitive - even if 3 get to move/attack with Cyclone as I don't think you'll be able maneuver enough of them into position to be effective.

I think some of the rules folks will want this version with the specified "... take a turn" portion:

Kai wrote:
    CYCLONE ATTACK
    Instead of attacking, you may choose an Air Elemental you control within 5 clear sight spaces of Surion Windseeker. After taking at turn with Surion Windseeker, take a turn with the chosen Air Elemental. During that turn, the chosen Air Elemental may ....

It follows Zaeus' style bonding language.

GORILLINATOR ATTACK BONDING
    After revealing an order marker on Zaeus, you may take a turn with a squad of Gorillinators you control before taking a turn with Zaeus. The Gorillinators cannot move during this turn.

Nomad and I did get a few play-tests in with 2 bonding turns and the 4 attack Cyclone. I think more play-testing with 3 attack on Cyclone will tell us if it is more balanced.

And I can drop the other part of the power. Surprisingly, Surion is the only Primordial with Flying but 4 powers is probably too much.

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:50 pm

Damon wrote:    Kai wrote:
       MASTER OF THE WINDS

Damon wrote:CYCLONE SPECIAL ATTACK (By keeping it a special attack, it can't get height advantage)

Thoughts?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:42 pm

Newer, simpler approach .. borrowing from Augamo's Headlong Charge to simulate a tornado / cyclone effect.  It does effectively make him a triple-attacker within a range of 3 spaces (basically).  This bumps his points - I was hoping for 130 but might make him more like 140 since he ends up with 5 attacks per OM (2 air elemental + 3 with special attack).  That is still less than Grimnak + Blades (6 attacks per OM).

SURION WINDSEEKER

Life: 4
    Move: 8
    Attack: 4
    Defense: 5
    130 Points

MASTER OF THE WINDS
    After revealing a numbered order marker on this Army Card, before taking a turn with Surion Windseeker, you may take a turn with 2 Common Heroes that have the Air Mastery special power.  

CYCLONE SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range: 1  Attack:  3
    Instead of moving and attacking normally with Surion, you may move Surion up to 4 spaces.  Surion can attack up to 3 times with Cyclone Special Attack at any point before, during, or after this move as long as Surion is on a space where he could end his movement.  Figures that have the Flying or Stealth Flying special power subtract 1 from their defense dice when attacked by Cyclone Special Attack.

STEALTH FLYING

--
    Army Builds:

Surion Windseeker ... 130
    Air Elemental x6 ... 310
    4th Mass Line x3 ... 520

All Jandar .. not Valiant but great anti-melee army with a special attacker.

Last edited by Lord Kai on Wed May 25, 2016 1:14 am; edited 2 times in total
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun May 01, 2016 12:35 am

The new attack sounds good. If we want to limit his points a bit, how about this?:

CYCLONE SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range: 1 Attack: 3
    If Surion did use Master of the Winds this turn he may use Cyclone Special Attack. Instead of moving and attacking normally with Surion, you may move Surion up to 4 spaces. Surion can attack up to 3 times with Cyclone Special Attack at any point before, during, or after this move as long as Surion is on a space where he could end his movement. Figures that have the Flying or Stealth Flying special power subtract 1 from their defense dice when attacked by Cyclone Special Attack.

We can work out the correct wording if the concept is agreed upon. I think this would drop him back down to 110 or so.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon May 02, 2016 1:19 am

Nomad wrote:The new attack sounds good. If we want to limit his points a bit, how about this?:

CYCLONE SPECIAL ATTACK
    If Surion did use Master of the Winds this turn he may use Cyclone Special Attack ...

We can work out the correct wording if the concept is agreed upon. I think this would drop him back down to 110 or so.

That is a great suggestion (dropping bonding for a triple attack special) but I think this makes Surion sort of boring. I think I'd prefer a higher point cost for a unit are more excited to play.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon May 02, 2016 7:14 pm

It should have read: If Surion did not use Master of the Winds . . .

You either get to bond with the Airs or he gets to use his triple attack.

Your choice to keep him at a higher point total is noted.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed May 25, 2016 1:17 am

Tweaked some stats:

SURION WINDSEEKER

General: Jandar
    Planet: Eberron

Unique Hero
    Class: Warrior
    Personality: Bold
    Medium 5

130 Points

MASTER OF THE WINDS
    After revealing a numbered order marker on this Army Card, before taking a turn with Surion Windseeker, you may take a turn with 2 Common Heroes that have the Air Mastery special power.  

CYCLONE SPECIAL ATTACK
    Instead of moving and attacking normally with Surion, you may move Surion up to 4 spaces.  Surion can attack up to 3 times with Cyclone Special Attack at any point before, during, or after this move as long as Surion is on a space where he could end his movement.  Figures that have the Flying or Stealth Flying special power subtract 1 from their defense dice when attacked by Cyclone Special Attack.

STEALTH FLYING
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri May 27, 2016 9:34 pm

The change to 4 Life and 8 Move is noted. We will have to playtest this fellow - he could be pretty awesome. I want to try this build:

Kurrok = 120
    Surion = 130
    Airs x 6 = 180
    Raelin = 80

Total = 510 points
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat May 28, 2016 12:44 am

Nomad wrote:The change to 4 Life and 8 Move is noted. We will have to playtest this fellow - he could be pretty awesome. I want to try this build:

Kurrok = 120
    Surion = 130
    Airs x 6 = 180
    Raelin = 80

Total = 510 points

Wow! interesting Army Build! Could be powerful. The Primordials definitely have the advantage over Kurrok that you don't need line of sight, but you can set up Kurrok nicely for resurrections if the Airs start dropping.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun May 29, 2016 12:48 pm

W4 - Surion - Air Primordial - ready for final - Page 2 SurionW.NWHC

W4 - Surion - Air Primordial - ready for final - Page 2 SurionW.Basic.NWHC

Last edited by Nomad on Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : New card)
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun May 29, 2016 3:50 pm

Great card, Nomad!!

He's looking better -- needs some play-testing for sure : P
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:01 pm

Improved card.

W4 - Surion - Air Primordial - ready for final - Page 2 SurionW.NWHC

W4 - Surion - Air Primordial - ready for final - Page 2 SurionW.Basic.NWHC
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:52 pm

Play-test Report:

Damon: Surion, AEx5, Eltahale, Prince al-Kahora
    Joseph: Aubrien Archers x4, Syvarris, Kyntela, Haduc

It took only to the first OM of the 4th round before Surion and the AEs rolled to victory. Four AEs died and Surion had three wounds on him. The other two figures in Damon's army to get an OM. Joseph did not make any strategic errors in his play, but the kid couldn't roll a defensive die worth beans, and he didn't catch a frenzy in 6 rolls. And I was rolling blue with ease.

Surion is a stud, which he should be for 130 points.

SUGGESTION: Have Surion's special attack read as follows: ". . . Surion can attack up to 3 different figures . . ." Being able to hammer Syvarris, Haduc, and Kyntela three times in succession was pretty impressive and didn't seem quite right as a cyclone attack. I think this would improve the design. Thoughts?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:18 pm

Thoughts on the previous proposal? Here is how I would reword the change. I also shortened the second power by including ". . . or special . . ." in the first power.

SURION WINDSEEKER

Unique Hero
    Class: Sorcerer
    Personality: Tricky
    Medium 5

130 Points

MASTER OF THE WINDS
    After revealing an Order Marker on Surion’s Army Card, before taking a turn with Surion Windseeker, you may take a turn with 2 Common Heroes that have the Air Mastery special power. Figures that have the Flying or Stealth Flying special power subtract 1 from their defense dice when attacked by Surion Windseeker's normal or special attack.

CYCLONE SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range 1. Attack 3.
    Instead of moving and attacking normally with Surion, you may move Surion up to 4 spaces. Surion can attack up to 3 times with Cyclone Special Attack at any point before, during, or after this move as long as Surion is on a space where he could end his movement. He cannot attack the same figure more than once.

STEALTH FLYING
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:40 pm

Got in a short play-test with:

Surion ... 130
    Air Elementals x7 ... 340
    Eltahale ... 480
    Eldgrim ... 510

vs

Jotun ... 225
    Dreadgulls x3 ... 420
    Malleus ... 480
    Guility ... 510

Surion was doing his Hit-and-Run well, even picked up a healing potion, but then he was descended upon by Berserk Charging Dreadgulls (two 18's in a row) who pushed their way through Vortex to hit him hard and cut his life in half (he healed) then cut his life in half again. Even with 5 defense, he seemed fragile against three attacks of 3. It might have helped if there wasn't a Berserk Charge or two or three .. but he did fall quickly. Same with Eltahale, she took out two Dreadgulls then was down in 3 hits. Go Huskies16!

I think Surion worked as he was supposed to. He's vulnerable to range even with 5 defense. He might need another Life for his 130 points.

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:33 am

We could add another life or drop his points to 120. More tests needed. He was worth his points in the play-test I ran with him.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:43 pm

JANDAR
    Surion ... 130
    Air Elementals x8 ... 370
    4th Mass x2 ... 510

vs

UTGAR
    Mimring .. 150
    Krug ... 270
    Arrow Gruts x3 ... 390
    Nerak ... 440
    Swog x2 ... 490
    Isamu ... 500

I ran 2 battles with these Armies. The first battle was sort of a blow-out.  Mimring zipped across the board and was rolling 3/4 skulls with Fireline .. taking out at least 2 figures each attack, and then on OM3 he lined up 2 Air and 2 Blue-coats.  By the end of the first round, Mimring was at 2 life but Jandar's forces had lost 6 Air and 4 Minute-Men.  

Battle # 2 was much closer!  The Air Elementals got in more shots but with only 2 bonding, typically one of the two that was up on the front lines went down to range.  Surion was much more effective .. lining up a few triple attacks against Gruts and a Swog and I could see him being a nice squad killer.  Because the Air Elementals take their turns before him - it also let's you decide later if he is going to zip in for multiple attacks or soar across the board to start a new battlefront.  The final battle came down to Krug with no wounds against Surion and one Air Elemental.  It was really close, and over several turns, Krug was getting more and more powerful.  Surion and the Air Elemental had height but Krug had a +1 Defense treasure.  Krug made it up to 7 wounds and barely survived but he took out Surion and the last Air Elemental.

It was cool to see Surion go toe-to-toe with Krug since they are similarly priced.  I wasn’t quite surprised that Krug came out victorious but it was very close.
    Surion is pretty good but he has the same flaw of the other Primordials and Kurrok .. if the hero goes down, all those common heroes become very ineffective.

Still need another play-test or two. I can see Surion with 4th Mass backing him up ... but he isn't Valiant so that does reduce some of the power of the Blue-coats. Raelin would be interesting as well, but I just don't think she can keep up with the fast moving Air team.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:18 am

Bio:

PRIMORDIALS
    The Primordials: For over a century, a secret order of sorcerers of Eberron sought to master the arcane arts of elemental magic. The order divided their pursuit among five elements: Air, Earth, Fire, Water, and Wood. Members of the order researched rituals and spells that would help them harness and command their chosen elemental “school.” The highest ranking member of each school carried the title of Prime Master, or Primordial. The Primordials passed on their knowledge to different apprentices, and those aspiring magicians were dispatched on quests across Eberron and the other realms to increase the knowledge and power of the Primordials.

Recently on Valhalla, the Generals of each faction have summoned a Primordial of each Elemental school. Now armed with new methods of magic, the Generals are tasking the Primordial sorcerers to use their powers in the Battle of All Time.

SURION WINDSEEKER
    As a young boy, Surion was more likely to be found running through his family’s fields or chasing after the farm’s chickens than doing his chores.  He was rarely at his studies or saying is prayers, despite the family’s deep roots in the druid community.  His parents were a bit concerned about the boy’s lack of focus and the dangerous stunts that he would perform.  Their worries came to an end when Surion leapt from the roof of the barn and flew to the front porch.  He was 11 years old.

The druid elders, whose magic was more myth in those days, tested the boy and declared him touched by Wyld magic and dubbed him the Windseeker.  In the years to come, Surion learned to fly at greater speeds and could literally speak with the spirits of the air.  Soon, he was able to bind those spirits into their own humanoid forms to become Air Elementals.  It took time and concentration, and the elementals did not wish to dabble in mortal affairs for long, but Surion was able to provide workers for his family farm when needed.

As he grew older, the call to explore the world outside of his small village took the Windseeker to travel.  What he found was a world in conflict, with many different races and factions vying for power.  Caught in the middle of these power struggles were peasants, much like his own family.  Using his abilities, Surion became a champion for the lower classes.  When he wasn’t asking elementals to help build or rebuild homes or dwellings, he would act as defender against bandits or raiders (and even the occasional tax collector would be driven away).  In time, he became a folk hero and brought serenity and peace to the farmers of his land.

With his valley protected, Surion took to questing for new ways to understand his abilities.  In distant lands, he sought skill at arms and became a master of the scimitar.  His agility and fleetness were incredible but he could also hover and fly, attacking from above, and learning to fight upside-down took some getting used to.  This certainly put his opponent’s off-balance, since he could strike in three-dimensions while they were stuck on a flat plane.  

But Surion’s ultimate achievement was to become the wind itself for short bursts of time.  By calling upon his deepest magic, he could transform his body into a cyclone of swirling force.  The roar of the air and the violent torrent of debris flying was devastating.  In moments, he could ricochet from target to target, inflicting grievous wounds, and passing through his own forces without injury.  If he timed it correctly, he could also keep part of his body formed, and use his own scimitar to strike at unearthly speed.

At the height of his power, Surion returned to his home village.  He was excited to see his family and their farm again, and perhaps even start a family of his own.  But the strife of Eberron had bled over into his homeland.  Creatures from another world had found their way through a portal and ravaged the area.  Many farmers lost their lives and the battle wasn’t over yet.

Enraged, Surion summoned all the elementals he could find and launched a relentless counter-attack.  For days, he battled the foul creatures and their minions.  On the third day, he was joined in battle by a strange holy warrior, a paladin named Rhogar Dragonspine.  The dragon-born knight had come to seal the rift at the command of his order.  Together the two struck at the heart of the portal but in the ensuing skirmish, both were sucked into the gate.

When Surion awoke, he was in the Castle of Concan, and was now in Valhalla.  The Kyrie commander told the Windseeker that he was pulled through a tear in dimensions that was created by the evil general, Utgar.  Apparently the foul Arch-Kyrie was raiding other lands for supplies.  In the disruption of the tear, others from Surion’s world had been ‘summoned’ to Valhalla.

Learning that the conflict and destruction of his home was at the hands of Utgar gave Surion new purpose and resolve.  His people needed justice and this villainy must spread no further.  Utgar would be stopped, no matter the price.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 am