Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W3 Zard Manstabber- Released

Derek S
    Derek S

W3 Zard Manstabber- Released Empty W3 Zard Manstabber- Released

Post  Derek S Sat May 17, 2014 1:55 pm

Zard Manstabber

NWHC Wave 3- ASCENT OF THE GOBLINS- VETERANS OF DESOLATE PEAK

W3 Zard Manstabber- Released ZardManstabber.NWHC
    W3 Zard Manstabber- Released ZardManstabber.Basic.NWHC

Figure- Pathfinder, We be Goblins #007, Goblin War Chief.

Planet- Eberron
    General- Utgar

Species- Goblin
    Unique Hero
    Class- Chief
    Personality-Vigilant
    Medium 4

Life- 4
    Move- 7
    Range- 1
    Attack- 3
    Defense- 3
    70 Points

DARK VISION
    When Zard Manstabber attacks a figure on a shadow space, add 1 to his attack.

GOBLIN DEFENSE AURA
    Each Small Goblin you control within 2 clear site spaces of Zard Manstabber receives 2 additional defense dice.

SCALE
    When moving up or down levels of terrain, Zard Manstabber may add 2 to his height.

BIO-
    Living deep in the caves of Siskat Mountains on the planet of Eberron, Zard has an innate ability to see through the shadows to detect a threat.  Born to lead, he inspires fellow Goblins to stand strong.

The Book of Zard Manstabber

NWHC WAVE 3- Davion’s Defense- Veterans of Desolate Peak

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered
    Zard Manstabber: Goblin Defense Aura
    -All small Goblins within 2 clear site spaces of Zard Manstabber may benefit from GOBLIN DEFENSE AURA defense bonus.  Small Goblins include: Goblin Slashers, Goblin Cutters.

Synergy Benefits Received
    Goblin Slashers: Goblin Mob Strategic Bonding
    -Being a unique Goblin Hero, Zard Manstabber may benefit from the Goblin Slashers GOBLIN MOB STRATEGIC BONDING activation bonus.
    Goblin Slashers: Goblin Mob Strategic Bonding
    -Being a small or medium Goblin, Zard Manstabber may benefit from the Goblin Slashers GOBLIN MOB STRATEGIC BONDING movement bonus.
    Runk BattleSinger: Battle Charge
    -Being a Goblin, Zard Manstabber may benefit from Runk BattleSinger’s BATTLE CHARGE  movement bonus.
    Goblin Dog Rider: Secluded Prey
    -Being a Goblin, Zard Manstabber may benefit from the Goblin Dog Rider’s SECLUDED PREY attack bonus.
    Torin: Evil Eye Protection
    -As a medium Utgar figure, Zard Manstabber may benefit from Torin's EVIL EYE PROTECTION Defensive Ability.
    -Ornak: Red Flag of Fury Aura
    As a Unique Hero that follows Utgar, Zard Manstabber may benefit from Ornak’s RED FLAG OF FURY activation synergy.

Synergy Imposed

Last edited by Derek S on Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:25 pm; edited 17 times in total
    Nomad
    Nomad

W3 Zard Manstabber- Released Empty Re: W3 Zard Manstabber- Released

Post  Nomad Sun May 18, 2014 12:32 pm

I love the name Zard Manstabber - very cool!

Powers look good. What about for the War Chief power other Goblins get an extra attack die if Zard inflicts a wound?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed May 21, 2014 1:49 pm

WAR CHIEF
    If Zard Manstabber rolls attack die (targets a figure for an attack?), all small Goblin's add 1 to their attack value this turn.

Because the War Chief will take his turn with Bonding, and then another turn will happen with the Slashers - the word here would need to be modified. It might be easier to give him an "aura" (either adjacent or within 4 spaces) to buff the Goblin's attack.

WAR CHIEF
    All small Goblins within 4 clear sight spaces of Zard Manstabber add 1 to their attack value.

Since the Goblins get attack bonuses maybe the War Chief can bump their Defense instead.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue May 27, 2014 11:10 am

War Chief (this would need a new name)

If Zard Manstabber inflicts a wound, all Goblins you control within 4 clear site spaces of Zard Manstabber receive an additional die when rolling defensive die, Zard Manstabber is not affected by War Chief.

If we go with the defensive idea (which I like) is this how we should approach it?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue May 27, 2014 4:40 pm

Derek S wrote:War Chief (this would need a new name)

If Zard Manstabber inflicts a wound, all Goblins you control within 4 clear site spaces of Zard Manstabber receive an additional die when rolling defensive die, Zard Manstabber is not affected by War Chief.

If we go with the defensive idea (which I like) is this how we should approach it?

The question becomes how to 'track' that War Chief has inflicted a wound in order to give the defense bonus. I'd be fine with him just giving Defense all the time.

If you wanted it dependent upon inflicting a wound you could do something like:

WAR CHIEF
    If Zard Manstabber inflicts a wound, place a blood trophy marker on Zard Manstabber. When any Goblin you control within 4 clear site spaces of Zard Manstabber is attacked, you may remove a blood trophy marker to add 1 additional defense die. Zard Manstabber is not affected by War Chief.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed May 28, 2014 7:40 pm

I like that Manstabber provides the bonus when attacking rather than defending.

Kai, good point about the word "turn" and keeping track of it, but I'm reluctant to go the route of tokens on the card if we can help it.

My opinion . . . Why not make it simple?

GOBLIN WAR CHIEF
    Any small Goblin you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Zard Manstabber may roll one additional attack die. Zard Manstabber is not affected by Goblin War Chief.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed May 28, 2014 8:26 pm

On second thought . . .

Dog Riders provide an attack bonus.
    Runk provides a move bonus.

Maybe Zard should provide a defense bonus.

I'm amending my previous suggestion for consideration to the following:

GOBLIN GRIT DEFENSE BONUS
    Each Goblin you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Zard Manstabber receives one additional defense die. Zard Manstabber is not affected by Goblin Grit Defense Bonus.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed May 28, 2014 8:37 pm

Nomad wrote:

I'm amending my previous suggestion for consideration to the following:

Each Goblin you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Zard Manstabber receives one additional defense die. Zard Manstabber is not affected by Goblin Grit Defense Bonus.

I am totally fine with a permanent Aura : )
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri May 30, 2014 12:20 am

The only thing that makes me nervous about the permanent ranged aura is the fact that he both bonds and can get movement bonding, so he will be easy to keep giving the bonus with. But if you both think that is a better route to go than having an action based reward to get the bonus I would be good with that.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri May 30, 2014 10:45 am

You could change the 'Slashers to only move Small Goblins and since the Heroes are mounted they are probably Medium 4-5.

GOBLIN MOB STRATEGIC BONDING
    Before taking a turn with the Goblin Slashers, you may first take a turn with a Goblin Hero you control. If you do not take a turn with any Goblin Hero you control, you may move up to 8 small or medium Goblins you control. You may attack with any 4 Goblin Slashers that moved this turn.

It would also limit the Horned Skull Brutes, though. I was sort of looking forward to trying Slashers and Brutes : P

But I'd give him a play-test with the Aura (and Mob Movement bonding) to see how he does. + 1 Defense to a 2 base Defense figure isn't that broken.

But + 1 Defense to the 'Brutes brings them to 5, which is pretty amazing. But the War Chief doesn't bond with them.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:03 pm

We should probably limit the size of goblins receiving the defense bonus to small.  This way we could keep the mob movement to include small/medium goblins because I too was looking forward to the slasher/brute combo.

Each Small Goblin you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Zard Manstabber receives one additional defense die.

Slashers & cutters would be the only ones to get the bonus if the heroes are medium.  If we do other small goblins down the road we could consider the effect of the bonus on their design. What do you all think?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:15 pm

Derek S wrote:We should probably limit the size of goblins receiving the defense bonus to small.  This way we could keep the mob movement to include small/medium goblins because I too was looking forward to the slasher/brute combo.

Each Small Goblin you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Zard Manstabber receives one additional defense die.

Slashers & cutters would be the only ones to get the bonus if the heroes are medium.  If we do other small goblins down the road we could consider the effect of the bonus on their design.  What do you all think?

Sounds like a good balance.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:16 pm

The WAR CHIEF has assembled his Mob!!!

... now the question is ... who do I play-test them against : P

Any suggestions?

I  have x3 Goblin Slashers, x2 Goblin Dog Riders, the War Chief, and Wolf Rider

W3 Zard Manstabber- Released GoblinWarChief1

W3 Zard Manstabber- Released GoblinWarChief2

Last edited by Lord Kai on Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:16 pm

They do look cool. I have been slacking a bit lately and all the OPs are not updated to the most current version. I will do so later tonight or in the a.m. I actually think the goblins will board control and will be a decently competitive team, so I am curious to see them tested against some better than average opponents.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:54 am

On Darkvision, do you think it would be better like this

When attacking a figure on a Shadow Tile, Zard Manstabber rolls 1 additional attack die.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:35 pm

I like the plus 1 attack better, just a slight bump. Here it is wording to be similar to Water Elementals and Drudge.

DARKVISION
    When Zard Manstabber attacks a figure on a shadow space, add 1 to his attack.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:51 pm

OP updated with newest language. Thanks.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:51 pm

Derek and Kai wrote:Zard is a good cheerleader and the +1 Defense helps tremendously.

Does he seem right so far then as far as points and theme go?

Here is my 2 cents . . .

SMALL GOBLIN ENHANCEMENT
    Each small Goblin you control within 3 clear sight spaces of Zard Manstabber receives an additional attack die and an additional defense die.

And bump his points to 75-80.

Another option:

Each small Goblin you control within 3 clear sight spaces of Zard Manstabber receives 2 additional defense dice.

And keep his points at 70.

In our play tests, Zard just hung back to provide a bonus, but he took second seat to the Dog Riders in bonding. Maybe by reducing his aura a space and increasing the bonus he offers, he might be a more prominent figure. These are just some thoughts I'm throwing out there for consideration.

Can we change the thread title to Zard Manstabber?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:56 am

How about

Each Small Goblin you control adjacent to Zard Manstabber receives two additional defense die.

We could also make it within 2 clear site spaces.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:50 am

I would vote for making it 2 clear site spaces for a 2-dice defensive bonus.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:46 pm

Zard and his lizard mount are in the works . . .

W3 Zard Manstabber- Released ZardManstabberNWHC

W3 Zard Manstabber- Released ZardManstabberBasicNWHC
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:40 pm

We have gotten in a few play tests with the revised powers. I am liking the change very much.

I vote we move Zard to play testing.

Any thoughts on the card?

Can we include a W3 at the beginning of the thread title to make it easy to identify?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:10 pm

Card is looking good, a few more tests and should be ready.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:17 pm

GOBLIN GRIT doesn't sound good to me any more. For consistency with classic, what do you think about renaming the power to GOBLIN DEFENSE AURA?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:09 pm

Goblin Defense Aura works, changed OP

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:03 am