Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

W4: Tu-Rok-Sa FINAL

Nomad

W4: Tu-Rok-Sa FINAL

Post  Nomad on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:51 pm

TU-ROK-SA
    NWHC Wave 4 - Fields of Wildfire - Heroes of the Chaos

Figure: Heroscape, Ne-Gok-Sa repaint and modification, with skull from a Marro Warrior.

General: Utgar
    Planet: Marr

Species: Marro
    Unique Hero
    Class: Warlord
    Personality: Menacing
    Medium 5

Life: 5
    Move: 5
    Range: 1
    Attack: 3
    Defense: 4
    100 points

MARRO HUNTER DEFENSIVE AURA
    All Marro Hunter figures you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Tu-Rok-Sa add 2 to their defense dice. No other Defensive Aura's listed on other Army Cards can be used in addition to Marro Hunter Defensive Aura.

MARRO RAGE
    When revealing a numbered Order Marker on Tu-Rok-Sa’s Army Card, you may also reveal an “X” Order Marker that is on Tu-Rok-Sa’s Army Card to activate Marro Rage for the duration of the round. While Marro Rage is active, add 1 to Tu-Rok-Sa’s Attack value for each wound marker on his Army Card and Tu-Rok-Sa is never attacked when leaving an engagement.

Character Bio:
    As a veteran of many wars on his home planet of Marr, Tu-Rok-Sa’s new job was not easy. Through his imposing presence and viciousness, his duty was to train Marro Hunters to be fearless in the face of enemy attacks. Tu-Rok-Sa found that only in close proximity and with fear of retribution would his hunters actually muster their own courage, in fact, he has been known to make an example of those who did not live up to his expectations. Tu-Rok-Sa volunteered for active battle again, knowing that it was his Marro-kind’s best chance for victory. The rage and terrifying tactics returned to him on the battlefield, just as it was in his youth. His ferocity was renowned on Marr and he can now be seen as a menacing Warlord in Utgar's army.

The Book of Tu-Rok-Sa

NWHC - Fields of Wildfire - Heroes of the Chaos

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- N/A

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered
    - Marro Hunters: Marro Hunter Defense Aura
    Marro Hunters within two clear sight spaces get +2 defense dice. Marro Hunters include Grok Riders and Marro Drudge.

- Grok Riders: Mark of the Warlord
    The Grok Riders get +2 attack dice against units adjacent to Marro Warlords.

Synergy Benefits Received

- Grok Riders: Marro Warlord Bonding
    As a Marro Warlord, Tu-Rok-Sa may benefit from Marro Warlord Bonding synergy.

- Roman Legionnaires: Warlord Bonding
    As a Warlord, Tu-Rok-Sa may benefit from the Roman Legionnaires' Warlord Bonding synergy.

- Ornak: Red Flag of Fury
    As a unique hero that follows Utgar, Tu-Rok-Sa may benefit from Ornak’s Red Flag of Fury activation synergy.

Synergy Imposed

- N/A

Last edited by Nomad on Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:52 pm; edited 9 times in total
    Nomad

Re: W4: Tu-Rok-Sa FINAL

Post  Nomad on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:53 pm

Initial conversation on previous thread is recapped here:

Kai wrote:Nice start!

As a Warlord though, if you are bumping Hunters that might be the Grok Riders. You would need to use OM1 + X to take a turn with Tu-Rok-Sa to activate Swamp Rage and then OM2 + 3 on the Groks for Bonding. What do you think of just "before taking a turn, reveal X ... " so that all OM's can be on the Groks?

Damon wrote:I was thinking it should be an either/or for Tu-Rok-Sa. Either he bonds with his Groks and doesn't use the Swamp Rage, or he spends an OM to activate Swamp Rage but you would miss a turn of Groks. I think this keeps him in check a bit. The +2 defense for Groks and Drudge is worth more than a few points. If your playing with the Groks, you might want to keep Tu-Rok-Sa as a clean-up figure. I like the mechanics of how it would work as written. I think they best way to play the Groks is to keep them from over extending into battle until they have a clear shot of inflicting heavy damage. The mechanic of having to reveal an OM on Tul-Rok-Sa would help this and increase the strategy involved, in my opinion.

Kai wrote:Okay, you have me convinced : )

With +2 defense for the Groks, even if Tu-Rok-Sa isn't getting a bump in Attack, he's still adding a nice Attack 3 to the Groks while giving them a much-needed boost to survivability.

I'm good with the powers as written then.

I look forward to you crushing me with Groks (as usual) during play-testing : P
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:48 am

Unique Hero
    Personality: Terrifying
    Medium 6

Move: 6 5 seems more appropriate as the sculpt doesn't say speed to me
    Attack: 3
    110 points we will see what happens here, but +2 defense is pretty good. Raelin weighs in at 80 with flying, 1 less defense, but her aura applies to all. Evar Weighs in at 110 with swamp rage and double attack against adjacent, the pirates bound with him, but he still seemed the lesser reckless bonding choice. Points are probably spot on.

All Marro Hunter figures you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Tu-Rok-Sa add 2 to their defense dice. The Grok Riders make me a little nervous here, but if his move is 5, they might sometimes out run him, but they are a pretty solid unit, although expensive. The Drudge could actually be good podding up with this guy.

SWAMP RAGE
    When revealing a numbered order marker on Tu-Rok-Sa’s Army Card, you may also reveal an “X” order marker that is on Tu-Rok-Sa’s Army Card to activate Swamp Rage for the duration of the round. While Swamp Rage is active, add 1 to Tu-Rok-Sa’s Attack for each wound marker on his Army Card and Tu-Rok-Sa is never attacked when leaving an engagement. Overall a clear design that I think fits in with heroscape really well.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:18 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Derek.

I could see dropping his move to 5 as well.

+2 defense might be a bit much. We could make it +1 defense instead.

Derek S

Post  Derek S on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:21 am

I was kind of thinking that the figures that provide defense bonuses mostly have merciful or the sort as a personality. What do you think about going a little different route

Swamp Disguise
    When a Marro Hunter you control within 4 clear site spaces of Tu-Rok-Sa is attacked by an opponents figure, that figure rolls 2 less die, to minimum of 1.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:16 pm

Derek S wrote:I was kind of thinking that the figures that provide defense bonuses mostly have merciful or the sort as a personality.  What do you think about going a little different route

Swamp Disguise
    When a Marro Hunter you control within 4 clear site spaces of Tu-Rok-Sa is attacked by an opponents figure, that figure rolls 2 less die, to minimum of 1.

Edit: Ha! Nevermind, did not read carefully enough.

Last edited by Lord Kai on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:10 pm

Kai, they way I read Swamp Disguise that Derek proposed is that they would roll fewer attack dice instead of defense dice.

Here are other figures that provide defense bonuses and their personalities:
    Master Woo (disciplined)
    Roman Legionnaries (disciplined)
    Spartacus (rebellious)
    Concan (Valiant)
    Thorgrimm (Valiant)
    Haduc (Valiant)
    Kwyntela (Valiant)
    Grimnak (Ferocious)
    Nerak (Wild)
    Swog Rider (Wild)
    Tornak (Tricky)

I don't have an issue with Tu-Rok-Sa providing a defense bonus for Marro Hunters even though he is not merciful. We could instead do something like Kiova does for the Imperium, by allowing rerolls of dice that don't show shields or something like Haduc does for elf wizards by providing an auto shield.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:24 am

I was thinking more defensive auras then adjacency bonuses but forgot about Nerak. I kind of feel like most defense bonuses are inspirational or fear driven while the auras are more of a protection (I don't get Nerak). Tu-Rok-Sa doesn't strike me as having protector abilities so I was trying to give an alternate idea. With 2 potential +2 defense auras (Raelin and Tu-Rok-Sa), a boost of 4 could be pretty stout for the Hunter's.

We could instead do something like Kiova does for the Imperium, by allowing rerolls of dice that don't show shields or something like Haduc does for elf wizards by providing an auto shield.

Both of these would make more sense to me than the aura, especially like something along the lines of Kiova's method. Or trying to come up with some new mechanic that would aid in the Marro Hunter's survivability.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:33 am

Regarding Swamp Disguise proposal: the opponent rolling two less attack dice is more of a benefit that rolling two extra defense dice.

Following Tu-Rok-Sa's bio, how does this sound?

MARRO HUNTER DRILLMASTER
    When you roll defense dice for any Marro Hunter that you control who is within 4 clear sight spaces of Tu-Rok-Sa, you may re-roll all defense dice that did not show shields. Marro Hunter Drillmaster can be used only once for each defense roll.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:42 pm

TU-ROK-SA was pretty cool in our play-tests yesterday. The Groks were certainly on a roll (even *I* managed to win a game with them). The Groks faced little-to-no Ranged attacks so I think that helped. But the Drillmaster power - letting them re-roll defense - is a really nice option to provide some survivability.

After several games, I'd say that he is slightly over-priced or that we should bump his base attack to 4. He's currently 5 life, 3 attack, 4 defense and 110-points. Alastair is 110-points with 6 life, 5 attack, 3 defense and he bonds with a 4-person squad.

The "big bomb" of revealing the X to get a once per round attack can be pretty awesome (it took down Raeza with a luck shot). You can't bond with the Groks when you do it- so it is a huge risk. Since you only want to use it when Tu-Rok-Sa has a few wounds, you're also vulnerable to losing an OM if you don't win initiative. Changing this to just revealing an X before taking a turn makes it easier to use and there is no risk.

Nice design!
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:47 pm

Yep - we did a couple of play tests with Tu-Rok-Sa a couple of months ago . . . and I forgot to post anything. Kai, thanks for the feedback.

This is what I'm currently thinking . . .

TU-ROK-SA

Unique Hero
    Personality: Terrifying
    Medium 6

Move: 6
    Attack: 4 (bumped from 3)
    100 points (dropped from 110)

All Marro Hunter figures you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Tu-Rok-Sa add 2 to their defense dice.

DRILLMASTER'S RAGE (name changed from Swamp Rage)
    When revealing a numbered order marker on Tu-Rok-Sa’s Army Card, you may also reveal an “X” order marker that is on Tu-Rok-Sa’s Army Card to activate Drillmaster's Rage for the duration of the round. While Drillmaster's Rage is active, add 1 to Tu-Rok-Sa’s Attack for each wound marker on his Army Card and Tu-Rok-Sa is never attacked when leaving an engagement.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:03 pm

Where does the Drillmaster come from? It kind of doesn't make sense to me. Hulk's power is Rage Smash 5, so maybe play of that a bit. Rage Smash 3. Evar's is Frost Rage so Swamp Rage was somewhat fitting. Maybe change him from a Warlord to a Drillmaster if you are sold on Drillmaster's Rage. Maybe just Rage 3 (if you want to cap the additional attack die) or Rage if you don't.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:16 pm

SWAMP RAGE wasn't liked because the power itself doesn't have any thing to do with swamp water or swamp grass. I chose Drillmaster because of his bio (which is in the OP). I'm not sold on it - just suggesting an idea. I would like to keep him a Warlord to bond with the Groks. It was intended to be similar to Evar's Frost Rage, so I would like something Rage. I originally chose Swamp because the Drudge came out in the Swamp master set. I'm open to other ideas.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:46 pm

Warlord's Rage? Marro Rage? Marro Rage 3? Terrifying Rage? Probably Marro Rage is my fav.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:07 pm

Marro Rage sounds good for now unless we come up with something different.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:47 pm

I'm considering dropping this figure for TU-ROK-SA because there seems to be some reservations about how the figure fits the powers/numbers. I am going to look into modding Ne-Gok-Sa or something that isn't so beefy looking or that reminds us too much of Abomination.

Either way, I would like to keep the same bonding with the Groks and defensive bonuses for the Groks and the Drudge. We may want to consider dropping the rage attacks.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:31 pm

Does this figure become a hivelord?
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:45 pm

What about slicing up a Grok Rider and adding his skull-whip to this Marro Drone?

We could also slice the Drone at the waist and add to Grok's mount instead ... if you want Tu-Rok-Sa to be "mounted." I have an extra set of Groks we can experiment on.

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:55 pm

Derek wrote:Does this figure become a hivelord?

Mmm . . . I haven't thought about that. What does a Hivelord do to benefit others besides bond with Nagrubs?

I have now thought about. No, if we changed him to Hivelord, then he wouldn't get to bond with the Groks.

Kai wrote:What about slicing up a Grok Rider and adding his skull-whip to this Marro Drone?

I don't want to slice up my Groks or Drones. Since we all have an abundance of Ne-Gok-Sas, I would prefer to keep him as the base figure. I haven't given it much thought on how to modify him, but it sounds like that we should make the switch from the Abomination repaint. Somebody else can take that figure if they want to do a custom for NWHC if desired.

I will develop the modifying of Ne-Gok-Sa when I get time.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:20 am

Sorry, I was meaning the abomination repaint becoming a hivelord, not this design.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:56 pm

Sure - let's make the Abomination repaint a Hive Lord. Open to anyone who wants to take it on.

I've been thinking about the remod of Ne-Gok-Sa as Tu-Rok-Sa . . . I'll bring this thread back to life after I've completed the remod.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:03 pm

Here is my mod of Ne-Gok-Sa. I used a gun from a marro warrior (painted purplish/metallic silver to tie in with the Drudge), his right arm has been repositioned, and the metal on the original got a purplish wash). The pics are dark . . .

Here are the new stats and powers . . . feedback appreciated.

TU-ROK-SA

Figure: Heroscape, Ne-Gok-Sa modification with gun from a Marro Warrior.

Unique Hero
    Personality: Menacing
    Medium 5

Move: 5
    Attack: 4
    110 points

All Marro Hunter figures you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Tu-Rok-Sa add 2 to their defense dice.

PLASMA BLASTER SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range 5. Attack 3.
    After attacking with Plasma Blaster Special Attack, you must roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-5, Tu-Rok-Sa receives one wound. If you roll a 6-15, Tu-Rok-Sa is safe. If you roll a 16-20, you may attack again with Plasma Blaster Special Attack.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:42 am

Wow, adding a Plasma Cannon. Nice!

I don't think the rifle in the left arm looks right. I did find this image online:

What do you think of that mod?
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:31 pm

Which one?

I don't care for the one on the left - his arms don't seem to match the figure at all - he looks more like a skeleton.

The one on the right looks OK, but I would need a closer look at it.

What doesn't look right about the blaster? Is it because it is not in shooting position - ie, he is just carrying it?

Last edited by Nomad on Sat May 02, 2015 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:16 pm

Nomad wrote:Which one?

I don't care for the one on the right - his arms don't seem to match the figure at all - he looks more like a skeleton.

The one on the left looks OK, but I would need a closer look at it.

What is doesn't look right about the blaster? Is it because it is not in shooting position - ie, he is just carrying it?

Yes, the one on the left is what I was thinking ... going with Ne-Gok-Sa sculpt but replacing the right arm with the laser rifle from the Marro Warrior. The holding position looks off and the Red color at the end is throwing me off. Probably looks better in person.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:28 pm