Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

W4: Tu-Rok-Sa FINAL

Nomad

Re: W4: Tu-Rok-Sa FINAL

Post  Nomad on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:13 pm

The red color on the end matches the red of the Eradicators, who have plasma weapons as well. That is easy to repaint. I will go back to the drawing board.

Derek S

Post  Derek S on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:28 pm

I wouldn't go back to the drawing board unless you don't like (I am pretty sure you wouldn't have posted if that was the case). Let us look at it in person and then go from there.

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Tue May 19, 2015 7:56 pm

I'm thinking that a figure who provides a defensive boost probably shouldn't have a ranged attack. I'll go back to the drawing board, but I still want to use a modded Ne-Gok-Sa. Stay tuned!

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Mon May 25, 2015 12:26 pm

Ne-Gok-Sa with head/spine of a Marro Warrior. Both arms have been sliced and repositioned. Black wash over metallic parts to give a darker look. Going back to the original rage power.

TU-ROK-SA

Figure: Heroscape, Ne-Gok-Sa modification with skull from a Marro Warrior.

General: Utgar
    Planet: Marr

Species: Marro
    Unique Hero
    Class: Warlord
    Personality: Menacing
    Medium 5

Life: 5
    Move: 5
    Range: 1
    Attack: 3
    Defense: 4
    100 points

MARRO HUNTER DEFENSIVE AURA
    All Marro Hunter figures you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Tu-Rok-Sa add 2 to their defense dice.

MARRO RAGE
    When revealing a numbered order marker on Tu-Rok-Sa’s Army Card, you may also reveal an “X” order marker that is on Tu-Rok-Sa’s Army Card to activate Drillmaster's Rage for the duration of the round. While Drillmaster's Rage is active, add 1 to Tu-Rok-Sa’s Attack value for each wound marker on his Army Card and Tu-Rok-Sa is never attacked when leaving an engagement.

Character Bio:
    As a veteran of many wars on his home planet of Marr, Tu-Rok-Sa’s new job was not easy. Through his imposing presence and viciousness, his duty was to train Marro Hunters to be fearless in the face of enemy attacks. Tu-Rok-Sa found that only in close proximity and with fear of retribution would his hunters actually muster their own courage, in fact, he has been known to make an example of those who did not live up to his expectations. Tu-Rok-Sa volunteered for active battle again, knowing that it was his Marro-kind’s best chance for victory. The rage and terrifying tactics returned to him on the battlefield, just as it was in his youth. His ferocity was renowned on Marr and he can now be seen as a menacing Warlord in Utgar's army.

Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Mon May 25, 2015 11:11 pm

Dude, that is TERRIFYING!!! Nicely done!!!

And Marro Hunters are only Grok Riders and Drudge, right?

I'd be okay if you could reveal the "X" before taking any turn - not just one he revealed a number OM on. Makes him more versatile with the Groks. He doesn't bond with the Drudge, so he'll have to use OM's in that build.

Army Ideas:

# 1
    Grok Riders x3 ... 390
    Tu-Rok-Sa ... 490
    Isamu ... 500
    (20 spaces)

# 2
    Marro Drudge x3 ... 150
    Tu-Rok-Sa ... 250
    Grok Riders x2 ... 510
    (22 spaces)

Derek S

Post  Derek S on Tue May 26, 2015 10:33 am

I like the mod and the stats/powers.

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:02 pm

Groks x3 and Tu-Rok fell to the Assassins and Skahen. Tu-Rok saved a couple of Groks with the extra dice, but it could have been more if I could roll the percentages. The Rage power was cool at the end - I was able to pull it off once before Tu-Rok fell - this makes for a decent last man standing figure, which will still happen often if running with Groks.

I like where Tu-Rok is at, but more play tests are needed.

Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:03 pm

With the possible army build to include both Ne-Gok-Sa and Tu-Rok-Sa .. there might be some confusion on which figure is which : P

That is the only downside I could see ... so maybe Tu-Rok-Sa needs a different base color?

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:21 pm

If you put the two figures side-by-side they look very different. Tu-Rok has two raised arms, a skull in his hand, and a dark wash on his metal components. It is easier to tell him apart from Ne-Gok than many other two figure combs . . . in my opinion. But, if this is a concern, then I can keep on making modifications to Tu-Rok.

Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:32 pm

I do think that they are different enough but then when you said you'd like to see an army with both of them .. it got me wondering.  Here is a side-by-side comparison:

Yeah ... I think they are different enough from that view. Let's keep him as is.

Derek S

Post  Derek S on Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:42 pm

Look different enough. Chop of the neck brace and I'd call it good.

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:05 am

I'll get rid of the neck protrusion/brace and darken up the metallic pieces some more.

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:36 am

Play test report . . .

Damon went with Tu-Rok-Sa, Groks x2, Ne-Gok-Sa, Me-Burq-Sa while Derek fielded Cultists, Nessa, Valestrio. Tu-Rok-Sa managed to save a few Groks with his defense aura and he managed one massive rage attack to destroy Nessa before falling. Groks fell . . . just not enough of them.

Everything seems about right with the custom so far, but some play testing with the Drudge is in order.

I still plan on doing a few more tweaks with the modifications to the figure. When it is done and all are happy, I will make one for each of you.

Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Tue May 31, 2016 2:35 am

Bump for Wave 4

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:50 pm

Thanks for the bump. I started making some minor changes to the figure. I will send a pic when done. Derek seems a little concerned with the +2 defense for Groks and Drudge in the meta-game if coupled with Raelin (def. glyph, height, etc). I am not so concerned, because if both Raelin and Tu-Rok-Sa were in the same army, then the Groks speed would be useless. Plus, both the Groks and Drudge are very low graded figures.

Is there a fix to this concern?

All Marro Hunter figures you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Tu-Rok-Sa add 2 to their defense dice, to a maximum of 3 more than their Defense value.

So, even with Raelin, the defense +1 or +2 glyph, height, etc. The most Tu-Rok-Sa can bring them up to us a plus 3. Yes, it would need to be rewording. And, I may bump the aura to 5 or 6 spaces.

What do you think?

Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:27 am

The Groks have certainly been beasts under your command and +2 defense really helps their survivability (which as a huge weakness for their cost).

How about making the Aura + 1 defense at a Range of 4 and + 2 if adjacent to the Warlord?

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:36 am

Good idea. How does this sound?

All Marro Hunter figures you control adjacent to Tu-Rok-Sa add 2 to their defense dice. Non-adjacent Marro Hunter figures you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Tu-Rok-Sa add 1 to their defense dice.

And . . . the figure is finished with the modifications. And the card is ready for approval. Suggestions for improvement are always welcome.

Last edited by Nomad on Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added card)

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:12 pm

OK, here are the stats and powers as we finalize this figure with a few more play-tests.

TU-ROK-SA

Species: Marro
    Unique Hero
    Class: Warlord
    Personality: Menacing
    Medium 5

Life: 5
    Move: 5
    Range: 1
    Attack: 3
    Defense: 4
    100 points

All Marro Hunter figures you control adjacent to Tu-Rok-Sa add 2 to their defense dice. Non-adjacent Marro Hunter figures you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Tu-Rok-Sa add 1 to their defense dice.

MARRO RAGE
    When revealing a numbered Order Marker on Tu-Rok-Sa’s Army Card, you may also reveal an “X” Order Marker that is on Tu-Rok-Sa’s Army Card to activate Marro Rage for the duration of the round. While Marro Rage is active, add 1 to Tu-Rok-Sa’s Attack value for each wound marker on his Army Card and Tu-Rok-Sa is never attacked when leaving an engagement.

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:48 am

I got in three play tests with Tu-Rok-Sa:

Tu-Rok, Ne-Gok, Me-Burq, and Groks x2 were crushed by Jacob's Deathchaser army.

Tu-Rok, Hive, Drudge x5 lost to Kai's Pulsar Soldier, and Q10 army in a fairly close battle and then won against Joseph's Mok/Axegrinders x4 army in a thriller.

The Drudge became competitive when podded up on height adjacent to Tu-Rok-Sa with a total of five defense. I was even finally able to get Tu-Rok-Sa to pull off a few Marro Rage attacks before falling.

I'm considering dropping his defense aura to +1, dropping the +2 for adjacent Marro Hunters, and increasing the range of the aura from 4 to 5.

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:25 am

Play test report from Montana with Damon, Jacob, James, and Joseph. Tu-Rok-Sa got in two play tests.

Tu-Rok, Me-Burq, Ne-Gok, and Groks x2

Head to Head
    My Groks vs Joseph's 4th Mass x3, Charros, Thorgrim = Loss by a route.

3-way Battle
    My Groks vs Joseph's Axegrinders x3, Mok vs Jacob's 4th Mass x4, Finn, Thorgrim, Sammy Brown in a three-way battle = another crushing defeat.

Conclusion:
    Tu-Rok-Sa makes the Drudge pretty decent, but not the Groks. The Groks are just too over-priced. I was fairly successful with +2 defense and the Groks, but not with +1. How about one slight tweak that is in-between the last two proposals?

All Marro Hunter figures you control with a Range greater than 1 adjacent to Tu-Rok-Sa add 1 to their defense dice. All Marro Hunter figures you control with a Range of 1 within 4 clear sight spaces of Tu-Rok-Sa add 2 to their defense dice.

It will need some wordsmithing, but I think you get my drift. I think this balances things. Is it too much?

Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:22 pm

I was okay with the +2 defense aura at a range of 4 for Marro Hunters.  It certainly makes the Groks really powerful because they end up being 5 attack with Mark of the Warlord and 5 defense.  I'm sure that they'd be totally broken with Raelin backing them up too, so maybe something about a maximum defense bonus from "aura's."

Still the Groks are really over-priced.  You get nearly 2 squads of 4th Mass (8 figures) for the price of 3 Grok riders.

You really won't play Groks without Tu-Rok-Sa now .. but that's okay with me .. we weren't really playing Groks much before that : )

Army Builds
    # 1
    Tu-Rok-Sa ... 100
    Grok Riders x3 ... 490
    Isamu ... 500

# 2
    Tu-Rok-Sa ... 100
    Grok Riders x2 ... 360
    Me-Burq-Sa ... 410
    Ne-Gok-Sa ... 500

# 3
    Tu-Rok-Sa ... 100
    Grok Riders x2 ... 360
    Marro Drudge x3 ... 510

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:47 am

OK, how about something like this?

All Marro Hunter figures you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Tu-Rok-Sa add 2 to their defense dice. No other Defensive Aura's listed on other Army Cards can be used in addition to Marro Hunter Defensive Aura.

Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:55 pm

Nomad wrote:OK, how about something like this?

All Marro Hunter figures you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Tu-Rok-Sa add 2 to their defense dice. No other Defensive Aura's listed on other Army Cards can be used in addition to Marro Hunter Defensive Aura.

I think that works well. Covers Raelin and Thorgrim for sure.

Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:31 am

Lord Kai wrote:
    Nomad wrote:OK, how about something like this?

I think that works well.  Covers Raelin and Thorgrim for sure.

I am okay to FINAL with the Power above or the last Card you did with +2 adjacent, + 1 within 4 range.

If we go with the existing card, there is certainly a possibility that Raelin + Tu-Rok ends up with 7 defense Groks (3 + 2 + 2), but I don't see too many players actually making that build. I'd say that Raelin + Minions of Utgar would be (a) more cost effective and (b) more broken {6 defense + 2}.

Perhaps in an 800-point game but Raelin is broken in so many scenarios : )

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:00 am

OP updated with new card and powers. The "Book" still needs to be completed.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:42 am