Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

W4 Pulsar Soldiers - Final (released)

Lord Kai

Re: W4 Pulsar Soldiers - Final (released)

Post  Lord Kai on Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:45 am

Updated stats, including a bump to 70 points.  This version has a limited Double-Attack and Movement Bonding.  Might be better as a Unique Hero but I just have like 8 of them : )

DELTACRON (Omnicron Squad Leader)

Species: Soulborg
    Uncommon Hero
    Class: Leader
    Personality: Disciplined
    Medium 5

Stats
    Life: 3
    Move: 5
    Range: 4
    Attack: 3
    Defense: 3

CHARGE CAPACITORS
    Instead of moving, this Omnicron Soldier may add 4 to its Range value this turn or, after attacking, may attack one additional time.

HARDENED ARMOR
    When this Omnicron Squad Leader is chosen for a special power on any Army Card and the 20-sided die is rolled, you may subtract 3 from the die roll.

SQUAD MOBILIZATION
    Before taking a turn with this Omnicron Squad Leader, you may move 3 common soulborgs you control that follow Jandar up to 5 spaces each.

Last edited by Lord Kai on Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:25 pm

I like it. But, I'm still leery of the Soldier class.

Damon wrote:I am a little leery of having the Omnicron Soldier move 3 common soulborgs, and then all of the 8th pathfinders. You could get a big chunk of your entire army to move on one turn.

Also, suppose you use Omegacron's Omnicron Mobilization to move three Soulborgs who follow Jandar, and you pick three Omnicron Soldiers . . . instead of moving those three Soldiers, do they each get to move three common Jandar Soulborgs for a total of nine?

You have 8 of them?! Well, if you want to go with him as a common hero, I think the squad mobilization would have to be dropped and some stats reduced. But, I still prefer him where he is at.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:23 am

Right - changing Class to Leader (which has been used before for Migol Ironwill).
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:47 am

Thoughts on the first effort on the card?

Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:19 pm

Card looks good and the picture is really awesome!!
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:39 am

Ran two play-tests with the Omnicron Squad Leader, aka Deltacron as an Uncommon Hero:

Deltacron x2 .... 140
    Repulsors x2 ... 220
    Omni Snipers x3 ... 520

They ran against the Elves (Varinn, Brandis, Kayla, and Aubriens). It was a huge rout for the Elves. Varinn grabbed the +1 attack treasure and height and a single sniper shot took out a Deltacron. Jandar lost an OM. In OM2, Kayla snuck up and got in an assassination of Deltacron # 2 .. and Jandar lost an OM again.

There wasn't much of a competition, even without Frenzy, the Aubriens went on a roll of the Omnicrons. There were a few crazy-good defense rolls by Archers against Deadly Strike to make it worse than it should have been.

With the Elves routing both the Omni's and Obsidians - it was time for a battle of the losers.

The Deltracrons actually got a chance to play in this 2nd match up. They tended to be used on OM1 to mobilize the Repulsors but then it was more efficient from an attack position to go with Snipers on OM2, 3. The Repulsors really weren't in it much. The Deltacrons were good to movement bond the Snipers but I didn't really see them adding a lot of value to the Omnicron army. Omegacron would have been a little better honestly - since he is guaranteed a double-attack at a longer range than the Delta's.

There were a few instances where a Deltacron had height + a repulsors for a double-attack opportunity (two attacks of 5). The shots were going against 4 defense Obsidians so they didn't always get through.

Overall, the Omnicrons Snipers were certainly stars of the Army and the Deltacrons just were not getting the OM's to really make an impact. There were some nice defense rolls by Snipers against lava-throwing Obsidians so it was a close match. Eventually it came down to Deathstorm against a Deltacron, 2 Snipers, and 3 Repulsors. It wasn't very close.

Might need more play-testing or better stats for the Deltacron.

Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:27 pm

Adding in a Common Hero option for some brainstorming.  Not sure on these stats.

Common Hero
    Personality: Precise
    Medium 5

Stats
    Life: 1
    Range: 5

CHARGE CAPACITORS
    If this Deltracron did not move this turn, it may add 3 to its Range value this turn or, after attacking, may attack one additional time.

HARDENED ARMOR
    When a Deltracron is chosen for a special power on any Army Card and the 20-sided die is rolled, you may subtract 3 from the die roll.

OMNICRON LEADER
    After revealing an order marker on a Deltacron Army Card, before taking that Deltacron's turn, you may take a turn with one other Precise hero or Precise squad you control that follows Jandar.

--
    Uncommon Hero idea:

Uncommon Hero
    Medium 5

Stats
    Life: 3

CHARGE CAPACITORS
    If this Deltracron did not move this turn, it may add 3 to its Range value this turn or, after attacking, may attack one additional time.

HARDENED ARMOR
    When a Deltracron is chosen for a special power on any Army Card and the 20-sided die is rolled, you may subtract 3 from the die roll.

SQUAD LEADER
    After revealing an order marker on a Precise squad you control that follows Jandar, before taking that squad's turn, you may take a turn with one Deltracron you control.

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:41 pm

I have been thinking a bit and I would like to through out an idea . . .

With the Snipers, Replusers, Omegacron, and Gammacron it seems to me that Jandar's Soulborg faction seems pretty complete.

With the purple on the figures, what if Einar earned their first batch of Soulborgs? Most of the other generals have them. The bio could include that they are emissaries from Jandar to help keep the good-guy allies together (reason for the blue on the figure). And, with all of those other Soulborg figures we have waiting to be made customs of, we could easily tie in some synergy later with the creation of a unique hero or two.

Mechwarrior Solaris VII Heavy Class Action Pack (the pack that Deathcommander Mark 3 came from)
    Mechwarrior Solaris VII Light-Class Action Pack (the pack Gammacron came from)
    Mechwarrior Vanguard Pack (the pack that Omegacron came from)

EINAR SOULBORG (place holder)

Common Hero
    Class: Soldier (so they can get the bonus from MDG)
    Medium 5

Stats
    Range: 4 (dropped from 5)

CHARGE CAPACITORS
    If an activated Einar Soulborg did not move this turn, it may add 3 to its Range value this turn or, after attacking, may attack one additional time.

HARDENED ARMOR
    When an Einar Soulborg is chosen for a special power on any Army Card and the 20-sided die is rolled, you may subtract 3 from the die roll.

EINAR SOULBORG BONDING
    After revealing an Order Marker on an Einar Soulborg Army Card, before taking a turn with an Einar Soulborg, you may take a turn with one Unique Soulborg Hero that follows Einar.

Just throwing out some ideas. What do you think?
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:30 pm

Very cool idea! I was also thinking that the Omnicrons are pretty good on their own already .. so Einar would be a nice landing spot. I just love this sculpt and really want to come up with some stats to get it on the battlefield.

Thanks for the suggestion and I'll keep designing.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:34 am

Interesting thoughts here, would like to consider and contribute at a later date
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:36 am

PULSAR SOLDIERS
    General:  Einar

Common Squad (2 figures)
    Class: Soldier
    Medium 5

Stats
    70 points

CHARGE CAPACITORS
    After revealing an order marker on Pulsar Soldiers, place 1 charge marker on this Army Card. Pulsar Soldiers may use charge markers on any of your Army Cards.

POWER ARMOR ARSENAL
    After any player reveals an order marker, you may remove 1 charge marker to activate Power Array.  When activated, choose one of the following modifiers which remain in effect until you reveal an order marker on an Army Card you control.
    * Add 1 to Attack value.
    * Add 2 to Defense value.
    * Add 3 to Range value.

PULSE LASER SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range: 3  Attack: 3
    Once per turn, after attacking with Pulse Laser Special Attack, you may remove 1 charge marker to attack again with Pulse Laser Special Attack.

--

Needs some word-smithing
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:39 pm

Seems very well thought out. Ready for play-testing in my opinion. My wording, punctuation, and capitalizing suggestions are below.

CHARGE CAPACITORS
    Start each round with 3 Charge Markers on the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card.

POWER ARRAY
    After any player reveals an Order Marker, you may remove 1 Charge Marker from the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card to activate Power Array for the duration of the turn. While Power Array is active, choose one of the following to modify the Pulsar Soldiers:
    * Add 1 to Attack value, or
    * Add 2 to Defense value, or
    * Add 3 to Range value.

Range 4. Attack 3.
    Once per turn, after attacking with Pulse Laser Special Attack, you may remove 1 Charge Marker from the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card to attack again with Pulse Laser Special Attack.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:39 pm

Thanks, Nomad.

I tweaked the Charge Capacitors to be 1 marker after you reveal an Order Marker. This way - you have to be actually taking turns with the Pulsars to get their bonuses. Any preference?

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:08 pm

What? I'm not sure I understand:

Kai wrote:I tweaked the Charge Capacitors to be 1 marker after you reveal an Order Marker. This way - you have to be actually taking turns with the Pulsars to get their bonuses. Any preference?
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:28 am

Nomad wrote:What? I'm not sure I understand:

Kai wrote:I tweaked the Charge Capacitors to be 1 marker after you reveal an Order Marker. This way - you have to be actually taking turns with the Pulsars to get their bonuses. Any preference?

Original:
    CHARGE CAPACITORS

Sorry this is the new text that I used on the power:

CHARGE CAPACITORS
    After revealing an order marker on Pulsar Soldiers, place 1 charge marker on this Army Card. Pulsar Soldiers may use charge markers on any of your Army Cards.

Preference?
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:28 am

OK, I see you went back and edited the post prior to my post with the suggested rewording.

CHARGE CAPACITORS

Does this mean you can use the markers on any Army Card in your army? So if I am running with Zelrig and these guys, I can use modifiers on Zelrig? I am not thinking that is what you mean, so, rewording is necessary.

If you wait until you take a turn to place a Charge Marker on the card, can they store it there and still reveal it whenever any Order Marker is revealed? This way they could still use it for the defense +2 option.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the mechanics of burning a Charge Marker when someone else takes a turn could slow the game down.

I see that you also changed the second power as well. Let's wait until Saturday to discuss.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:00 am

Yeah, I think we were both online at similar times yesterday : )

This needs some wordsmithing:

CHARGE CAPACITORS

The intent of the last sentence is to say that if you have multiple copies of the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card (because you have multiple common squads) that you can put the charge marker on any card and still use it.

As for using charge markers on other cards - it will really only be the Defense + 2. Your opponent reveals an OM and is about to take their turn - you burn a charge marker to give yourself the Defense bonus. Should be quick.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:10 pm

What do you think about this? Seems much simpler to me and has essentially the same results.

PULSAR SOLDIERS
    General: Einar

Common Squad (2 figures)
    Medium 5

Stats
    Defense: 2
    70 points

CHARGE CAPACITORS

POWER ARRAY
    Add 1 to the Defense value for each Charge Marker on the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card. You may remove 1 Charge Marker from the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card to add 1 to the Attack value or add 3 to the Range value for this turn.

Range 4. Attack 3.
    Once per turn, after attacking with Pulse Laser Special Attack, you may remove 1 Charge Marker from the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card to attack again with Pulse Laser Special Attack.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:51 pm

That is really cool!

I was thinking we should limit the number of Charge markers that can accumulate.  If you get 3 at the start of each round, you can horde them to go a little crazy later.  That is one reason I went with 1 Charge marker per OM.

We could just do something like:

CHARGE CAPACITORS
    Start each round with 3 Charge Markers on the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card.  At the end of each round remove all Charge Markers from the Pulsar Soldier's Army Card.

I am really liking the Defense boost based on Charge markers.  Brilliant!!  Just need to avoid Kira Jax's negation powers ; P

I would love to play-test them.  I'll bring my extras with me.  Should have enough for 4 squads (8 figures, and I think 4 are re-based).

We could do:

Army Idea:
    Pulsar Soldiers x4 ... 280  (8 figures)
    Tearik ... 400
    Beakface x3 ... 490

All EINAR : P
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:32 pm

Pulsar Soldiers worked really well!!!

Pulsar Soldiers x5 ... 350
    Major Q-10 ... 500

The flexibility of the charge markers worked great and it made for many tactical decisions each turn. Nomad's idea for + defense equal to charge markers played perfectly.

The key question was how many Common Squads have a Special Attack. I only recalled the MicroCorp Troopers off the top of my head but there are Roman Archers (which becomes 1 special attack), Ashigaru Yari (Encirlce), and Zombies (Onslaught 1 target). So it might be breaking prescedence to have a Common Squad that could potentially end up with 4 special attacks in one turn (each Pulsar attacks then spends 1 charge marker).

More tests are in order but they were certainly fun to play!
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:27 am

To follow up on our discussion from yesterday, here is potential wording for the special attack. The wording follows Q10's Wrist Rocket. I am OK with breaking precedent - it is only a two figure squad. I don't think they were broken at all. Yes, more play-tests.

Range 4. Attack 3.
    To use Pulse Laser Special Attack, remove 1 Charge Marker from the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card. A Pulsar Soldier may use this special attack 2 times in the same turn. A Pulsar Soldier may target the same figure or a different figure with each attack.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:37 pm

Updated and changed some names:

PULSAR SOLDIERS
    General: Einar

Common Squad (2 figures)
    Medium 5

Stats
    Defense: 2
    70 points

CHARGE CAPACITORS
    Start each round with 3 Charge Markers on the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card.  At the end of each round remove all Charge Markers from the Pulsar Soldier's Army Card.

ENERGY MATRIX
    Add 1 to the Defense value for each Charge Marker on the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card. Once per turn, you may remove 1 Charge Marker from the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card to add 1 to the Attack value or add 3 to the Range value for this turn.

Range 4. Attack 3.
    To use Pulse Laser Special Attack, remove 1 Charge Marker from the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card. A Pulsar Soldier may use this special attack 2 times in the same turn. A Pulsar Soldier may target the same figure or a different figure with each attack.

--

Also, I am going to grab 10 figures (5 squads worth) from eBay now while they are still left. They average around $1.25 each so not a big deal.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:54 am

All sounds good. They seemed like a fun squad.

Question on Energy Matrix: If I burn a Charge Marker can I use one of my squad figures with a +1 attack and the other with +3 range, or do they both have to use the same modification? I think it would be cool to be either/or for each individual squad member.

Also, what if we threw in a Move +2 as one of the options to choose from. Just brainstorming.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:48 pm

Nomad wrote:All sounds good. They seemed like a fun squad.

Question on Energy Matrix: If I burn a Charge Marker can I use one of my squad figures with a +1 attack and the other with +3 range, or do they both have to use the same modification? I think it would be cool to be either/or for each individual squad member.

Also, what if we threw in a Move +2 as one of the options to choose from. Just brainstorming.

I had the "Once per turn" limit on the Attack or Range (mostly so you didn't remove 3 charge markers and get +3 attack).

The +2 move is interesting for flexibility but I think Attack/Range is more along the theme of a flexible 'weapon system' that I was going for.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:00 pm

Should the power be worded something like this?

ENERGY MATRIX
    Add 1 to the Defense value for each Charge Marker on the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card. You may remove 1 Charge Marker from the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card to add 1 to the Attack value or add 3 to the Range value for each activated Pulsar Soldier this turn.

Burn a marker, one of your activated soldiers gets to add 1 attack die or add 3 range. Burn another, your second activated soldier gets the same choice. Or, did you want to limit it to only one of the two soldiers getting to modify its stats?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:33 pm