Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W4 Khorvairian Assassins (shadow assassins) - ready for final

Nomad
    Nomad

W4 Khorvairian Assassins (shadow assassins) - ready for final - Page 2 Empty Re: W4 Khorvairian Assassins (shadow assassins) - ready for final

Post  Nomad Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:48 pm

We got in a few play-tests with the Assassins (Derek, Damon, and Jacob each got a turn with them). One game was one a 3-player heavy shadow map and the Assassins won it in a thriller (the last Assassin took out the last Drow Chainfighter).

Some changes: changed to Vydar, increased 20-sider roll by one. Here are the updated powers that can be copied into the OP. We still need to come up with the name, but these guys seem like they are ready to go.

ASSASSINS (Name to be determined)

General: Vydar
    Planet: Eberron

Species: Human
    Common Squad
    Class: Shadow Assassin
    Personality: Tricky
    Medium 5

Life: 1
    Move: 5
    Range: 1
    Attack: 3
    Defense: 2
    90 Points

SHADOW STRIKE
    If a NAME Assassin starts its turn unengaged and on a shadow space add 1 to that NAME Assassin's attack this turn and that NAME Assassin may attack 1 additional time.

ONLY A SHADOW
    If a NAME Assassin is attacked and at least one skull is rolled, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-12 roll defense die normally. If you roll a 13 or higher, you may, if possible, move that NAME Assassin up to 5 spaces and ignore all wounds. NAME Assassins do not take leaving engagements when moving with Only a Shadow and must end it's movement on a shadow space.

BLEND INTO SHADOW
    The NAME Assassins start the game with up to 2 shadow tiles on their Army Card. If a NAME Assassin ends its movement on an empty land space, you may place a shadow tile from their Army Card on to a space they occupy if the shadow tile fits normally on that space.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W4 Khorvairian Assassins (shadow assassins) - ready for final - Page 2 Empty Re: W4 Khorvairian Assassins (shadow assassins) - ready for final

Post  Lord Kai Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:55 pm

Awesome, I am glad that you guys got to test them out.

If we bump the d20, can we drop their points? I could see them coming down to 70 or 80. The Deepwyrm Drow are 70 points and aren't very good for that amount. I know that the Executioners get to add shadow-tiles to the board but if they miss their 'Vanish' they are pretty much toast with only 2 defense.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:05 pm

I would concur with dropping their points if there was no chance they would be playing on a map with a bunch of shadow already on it. It seems that keeping them at 90 for now is prudent. On the game on the shadow map, it was almost impossible not to be able to get to a shadow tile when I hit the d-20 roll and I was able to double attack of four most of the time (which is better than the Imperium attack). Perhaps more testing to finalize points is needed.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:19 pm

Nomad wrote:I would concur with dropping their points if there was no chance they would be playing on a map with a bunch of shadow already on it. It seems that keeping them at 90 for now is prudent. On the game on the shadow map, it was almost impossible not to be able to get to a shadow tile when I hit the d-20 roll and I was able to double attack of four most of the time (which is better than the Imperium attack). Perhaps more testing to finalize points is needed.

Good point. I think points are supposed to be balanced more for Tournaments and therefore BoV maps. I'd have to run numbers officially but I don't think there are more than 8 shadow-tiles on BoV maps. That's still a good chuck but since Armies rotate in tourneys, the Executioners won't get the bump too often. Sort of like Lava Resistance .. it doesn't come in to play very often for Shurrak or the Iron Golem.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:29 am

Derek S wrote:Ordered us each 2 more of these.  Thanks for all the playtests Kai.  I need to get my playtesting hat on.

Thank you for the x2 Executioners! I really love this custom squad so I'm glad to put away the Ninjas of the Northern Wind proxies to have the full Shadow Assassins on the field in all their glory!!
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:27 pm

Wow, has it really been since JULY 2015 that we posted?! After some 'Scape this weekend, I was thinking of resurrecting a few threads here.

I love this design, and even if we don't develop a whole bunch of figures - maybe we can churn out a mini-expansion pack with a few of our customs that were near completion.

Common Squad
    Class: Assassin (dropping Shadow so that they can benefit from future 'Assassin' class)
    Medium 5

90 Points

SHADOW STRIKE
    If a NAME Assassin starts its turn unengaged and on a shadow space add 1 to that NAME Assassin's attack this turn and that NAME Assassin may attack 1 additional time.

ONLY A SHADOW
    If a NAME Assassin is attacked and at least one skull is rolled, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-11 roll defense die normally. If you roll a 12 or higher, you may, if possible, move that NAME Assassin up to 5 spaces and ignore all wounds. NAME Assassins do not take leaving engagements when moving with Only a Shadow and must end it's movement on a shadow space.

BLEND INTO SHADOW
    The NAME Assassins start the game with up to 2 shadow tiles on their Army Card. If a NAME Assassin ends its movement on an empty land space, you may place a shadow tile from their Army Card on to a space they occupy if the shadow tile fits normally on that space

Moved the Only a Shadow back up to 12+ instead of 13.

I think these guys just need a "Name" and they'd be good to go : )
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:51 pm

Funny that you posted here first, Kai. I started working on the card on Sunday. Just need to get the figure images in and it is ready to go. Maybe we can start brainstorming some names for this squad, although Shadow Assassins kind of works for me.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:26 am

Whatever you guys think best on the roll, 12 or 13- I'll consider it a bit before pushing one way or another. The class was to mirror Mika Connour's so I wouldn't mind keeping it Shadow Assassin. I have no thoughts on the name. I will see what I can find on Eberron, Shadow Assassin's from the D&D world- I don't know if we should go with something Tribal, Cultish, or just call them Shadow Assassins. Suggestions would be awesome.

I am glad there is a renewed interest in our project, especially in finishing up some things. Hopefully you guys had a good time Saturday playing some Scape.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:15 am

After our extensive play tests back in July, below are the powers/numbers that Derek and I settled on (see earlier post).

I still think the name needs to be changed from Shadow Assassins because Mika had a power called Shadow Assassin and she and these guys have a class of Shadow Assassin. I'll start throwing out more ideas for names when I get some time.

Common Squad
    Medium 5

90 Points

SHADOW STRIKE

ONLY A SHADOW
    If a NAME Assassin is attacked and at least one skull is rolled, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-12 roll defense die normally. If you roll a 13 or higher, you may, if possible, move that NAME Assassin up to 5 spaces and ignore all wounds. NAME Assassins do not take leaving engagements when moving with Only a Shadow and must end it's movement on a shadow space.

BLEND INTO SHADOW
    The NAME Assassins start the game with up to 2 shadow tiles on their Army Card. If a NAME Assassin ends its movement on an empty land space, you may place a shadow tile from their Army Card on to a space they occupy if the shadow tile fits normally on that space.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:08 pm

Khorvairian Assassins as the name?

Khorvaire is the main continent of the planet Eberron, from which Mika (and these guys) hail from.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:32 pm

Here is the card . . .

W4 Khorvairian Assassins (shadow assassins) - ready for final - Page 2 KhorvairianAssassins.NWHC

W4 Khorvairian Assassins (shadow assassins) - ready for final - Page 2 KhorvairianAssassins.Basic.NWHC
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:36 pm

Card looks great! Love the images of the figures!

Khorvairian is a mouthful though : )
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:46 pm

I thought the cards turned out nicely as well. Khorvairian is just a placeholder. Got any ideas?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:55 am

I like Khorvairian Assassin's. All the cards are looking awesome. Thanks for your work here Damon.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:23 pm

Derek S wrote:I like Khorvairian Assassin's.  All the cards are looking awesome.  Thanks for your work here Damon.

Let's go with that name then.

I'd still like a 12+ on their "vanish" (Only a Shadow). That extra 5% chance can help their survivability.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:12 pm

Here are the human nations on the continent of Khorvair on the planet Eberron (where Mika is from, and she came from the pack "Heroes of Khorvair"):

Aundair
    Breland
    Karrnath
    Lhazaar Principalities
    Thrane

These were once united under the The Kingdom of Galifar.

Perhaps we could come up with a name conducive to all (I do like Khorvairan Assassins). Here are some ideas:

Assassins of Khorvair
    Assassins of Aundair, Aundairian Assassins
    Assassins of Breland
    Assassins of Karnath, Karnathian Assassins (Karnath is the militaristic nation)
    Assassins of Thrane, Thranian Assassins
    Assassins of Galifar

House of Deneith - the mercenaries of Khovair. Perhaps Assassins d'Deneith or something.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:41 am

Khorvairan Assassins is my favorite.   Karnathian Assassins next, with Assassins of Thrane in the mix.  

After considering the 20-sided die roll, I am ok with keeping it at 13.  We had earlier discussion that got us there and I think these guys are pretty dangerous as they stand for their point cost.  But if Damon is good with 12 you two would out vote me then Very Happy
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:33 pm

When we did some extensive play testing back in July, we came to the conclusion that the roll should be 13+, which is where I'm happy to keep it at.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue May 31, 2016 2:30 am

Bump.

I'd like to drop them to 80 points and then I think we're good.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:02 pm

80?

With all of the play testing, I thought we were pretty solid at 90. I think this squad is better than the Warforged Soldiers who are at 80 points.

How about we price them at 85 and call it good?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:29 am

Sold at 85 points!!!

Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:41 am

5 pts is nothing for me to argue about, so 85 sounds good!
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:28 pm

Here are the stats/powers for any final play-testing we need. Notice that I tweaked the first couple of words of the Blend into Shadow power to address a question Kai had long, long ago.

KHORVAIRIAN ASSASSINS

Common Squad
    Medium 5

85 Points

SHADOW STRIKE
    If a Khorvairian Assassin starts its turn unengaged and on a shadow space add 1 to that Khorvairian Assassin's attack this turn and that Khorvairian Assassin may attack 1 additional time.

ONLY A SHADOW
    If a Khorvairian Assassin is attacked and at least one skull is rolled, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-12 roll defense die normally. If you roll a 13 or higher, you may, if possible, move that Khorvairian Assassin up to 5 spaces and ignore all wounds. Khorvairian Assassins do not take leaving engagements when moving with Only a Shadow and must end it's movement on a shadow space.

BLEND INTO SHADOW
    Each squad of Khorvairian Assassins start the game with up to 2 shadow tiles on their Army Card. If a Khorvairian Assassin ends its movement on an empty land space, you may place a shadow tile from their Army Card on to a space they occupy if the shadow tile fits normally on that space.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:13 pm

KHORVAIRIAN ASSASSINS
    NWHC Wave 4 - Wave Title - Pack Title

W4 Khorvairian Assassins (shadow assassins) - ready for final - Page 2 KhorvairianAssassins2.NWHC

W4 Khorvairian Assassins (shadow assassins) - ready for final - Page 2 KhorvairianAssassins2.Basic.NWHC

PDF DOWNLOAD, front
    PDF DOWNLOAD, back

Figures: Confrontation, The Age of Ragnarok, Griffins of Akkylannie, Executioners Unit Box

Common Squad
    Medium 5

85 Points

SHADOW STRIKE
    If a Khorvairian Assassin starts its turn unengaged and on a shadow space add 1 to that Khorvairian Assassin's attack this turn and that Khorvairian Assassin may attack 1 additional time.

ONLY A SHADOW
    If a Khorvairian Assassin is attacked and at least one skull is rolled, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-12 roll defense die normally. If you roll a 13 or higher, you may, if possible, move that Khorvairian Assassin up to 5 spaces and ignore all wounds. Khorvairian Assassins do not take leaving engagements when moving with Only a Shadow and must end it's movement on a shadow space.

BLEND INTO SHADOW
    Each squad of Khorvairian Assassins start the game with up to 2 shadow tiles on their Army Card. If a Khorvairian Assassin ends its movement on an empty land space, you may place a shadow tile from their Army Card on to a space they occupy if the shadow tile fits normally on that space.

Character Bio:
    -Forthcoming

- Rulings and Clarifications -

-N/A

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered

-Otonashi: Tricky Speed 4
    Having a Tricky personality, a Doggin Tracker may aid Otonashi’s TRICKY SPEED 4 ability.

Synergy Benefits Received

-N/A

Synergy Imposed

-N/A
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:51 am

Solidy matches with these guys today. Nomad ran them to victory against my Cultists in convincing fashion. I ran them into a hail of gun-fire against the Gorillanators for a loss but they were doing quite well up until one turn when Huskies16 took out my Cyprien and I lost an OM.

Huskies16 felt like they were a little over-priced at 85 for just a 3-person squad with 2 defense.  Maybe a drop to 75 or increase their move to 6 would be my suggestions. They have a lot of potential when you set up the double-attack but they require lots of strategy. Huskies16 saw how the Only a Shadow power worked and moved his Gorillinators to my shadow tiles to block 'vanish' rolls.

But incredibly fun! still one of my favorite units that we've done.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:59 am