Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming

Derek S
    Derek S

W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming Empty W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming

Post  Derek S Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:17 pm

Rattlesnake Reed
    NWHC Wave ? – Wave Title - Pack Title

W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming Rpr80007

PDF DOWNLOAD, front
    PDF DOWNLOAD, back

Figure: Reaper, Chronoscope Bones, The Black Mist

General: Utgar
    Planet: Earth

Species: Human
    Unique Hero
    Class: Outlaw
    Personality: Sneaky
    Medium 5

Life: 4
    Move: 5
    Range: 6
    Attack: 2
    Defense: 2
    50 Points

Double attack
    When Rattlesnake Reed attacks, he may attack 1 additional time

Ambush
    If Rattlesnake Reed attacks a figure that doesn't have clear line of site on 'Pistol' Pete, add 1 to 'Pistol' Pete's attack

Character Bio:
    Copy text here.

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- N/A

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered

-Figure Name: Power
    Plain Text

Synergy Benefits Received

Plain Text

Synergy Imposed

Plain Text

Last edited by Derek S on Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:56 am; edited 4 times in total
    Derek S
    Derek S

W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming Empty Re: W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming

Post  Derek S Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:04 pm

Already have this guy painted, but don't really have any thoughts like for the other cowboy. This guy has a scarf covering his face so maybe an outlaw? Any thoughts on direction?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming Empty Re: W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming

Post  Lord Kai Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:33 am

That mini sort of reminds me of "The Shadow"

W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming Shadow-Alec-Baldwin_l
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:02 am

If we go for more "Lawmen" (Cowboys), I would like to explore updating the two Lawmen that I created for Xmas 2013:

Devlin Skyhawk
    Ellen Stone

https://crypticalliance.forumotion.com/t84-nw-xmas-customs

They need some work (mostly Ellen) but I think it would be cool to have a full Cowboy Wave pack : )
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:50 pm

Looks like a Utgar cowboy to me with the bandana over the face. Aquilla/Valkrill needs some cowboys as well.

Sure, we could look at doing a full cowboy pack in a future wave. I'm open to taking a look at the lawmen Kai shared last Christmas. Not all cowboys are lawmen though.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:09 pm

I was actually considering both these cowboys as outlaws.  I will post a pic of this guy painted soon and put out a write up.

I think Grimnesh? used this figure for his Mist custom.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:39 pm

Oooh, Lawmen vs. Outlaws!!! I like it!
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:46 pm

W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming Dsc_0610W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming Dsc_0611
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:10 pm

Sweet!!! Great job!
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:12 pm

Looks awesome. Let me know what colors you used when I come down.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:34 am

Rough Ideas for initial

'Pistol' Pete

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

Range: 5
    50 Points

Double attack
    When 'Pistol' Pete attacks, he may attack 1 additional time

Ambush
    If 'Pistol' Pete attacks a figure that doesn't have clear line of site on 'Pistol' Pete, add 1 to 'Pistol' Pete's attack
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:35 pm

AMBUSH is awesome!! Nicely done.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:52 pm

Thanks. Ambush is used in conjunction with other words on various cards, so could go a little different with power name, although I do like the mechanic. I really don't like 'Pistol' Pete for his name. Any thoughts?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:42 am

So, "Pistol" Pete sneaks up behind someone and gets an extra die on his attack? That is evil. Sounds Utgar-ish to me. Nice and simple.

Pistol Pete Maravich doesn't sound right to me either, especially for Utgar.

Six-shooter Sam
    Pistol Pat Garrett
    Revolver Reno
    Pancho Pico
    Rattlesnake Dick
    Shooter Scroggins

Oh heck, here are a bunch of potential name ideas:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Old_West_gunfighters
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:20 am

Kind of like Rattlesnake, maybe something like Jim "Rattlesnake" Reed.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:25 pm

How about just Rattlesnake Reed? Fits with Guilty McCreech and Deadeye Dan.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:55 am

Rattlesnake Reed sounds good. Unfortunately MM didn't have any of these in stock. Kai, do you have either of the cowboys?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:51 pm

No, I do not have either of the cowboy mini's.

I do have some similar "metal" cowboy mini's that I bought like 3 years ago. One of them is very close to Cowboy # 2.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:43 pm

Will the new Cowboys be individual Heroes ... no bonding?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:25 pm

Just fillers for now. Maybe down the road a sheriff could be made to unite the lawmen and somebody to unite the outlaws. Fillers are way under appreciated I think
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:55 pm

"Rattlesnake" Reed earned a couple of play tests over the last week. He was ambushed and destroyed by Capuans and the Gladiatrix in one battle . . . I didn't see the other.

Notes from our discussion for the record:

- 50 points seemed a little too much

- The powers now read as follows:

“Rattlesnake” Reed

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

50 Points

DOUBLE ATTACK
    When “Rattlesnake” Reed attacks, he may attack 1 additional time

AMBUSH
    If “Rattlesnake” Reed attacks a figure that doesn't have clear line of site on "Rattlesnake" Reed, add 1 to "Rattlesnake" Reed's attack.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:44 am

Thoughts for improvement?

W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming RattlesnakeReed.NWHC

W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming RattlesnakeReed.Basic.NWHC
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:48 pm

Nomad wrote:

“Rattlesnake” Reed

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

50 Points

DOUBLE ATTACK
    When “Rattlesnake” Reed attacks, he may attack 1 additional time

AMBUSH
    If “Rattlesnake” Reed attacks a figure that doesn't have clear line of site on "Rattlesnake" Reed, add 1 to "Rattlesnake" Reed's attack.

Ran a play-test with Rattlesnake Reed as a filler. He came out as a clean-up figure and had to chase down some Anubian Wolves and Swift Draw Hardin. His double-attack was nice and limited by his Range 5. He benefited from a Unique Attack glyph to try and Run-and-Gun against his opponent.

The Ambush power didn't really come in to play ~ as it was easy to defend against but adjusting figures to face him after attacking. Still, it might come up on an initiative switch or in certain options. To be more effective, I would say bump him to Move 6 and drop his Life to 3 to keep him at 50 points.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:28 pm

Yes - Ambush was designed as a power that would only come into play once in a great while, I think.

All the other cowboys have moves of 5, it is tough running with spurs and chaps. What do you think if we kept his move at 5, but bumped his range to 6?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:09 am

Nomad wrote:Yes - Ambush was designed as a power that would only come into play once in a great while, I think.

All the other cowboys have moves of 5, it is tough running with spurs and chaps. What do you think if we kept his move at 5, but bumped his range to 6?

Range 6 sounds great.

For Line of Sight, the FAQ team provided this:

If a single space figure is not facing another figure that he is attacking, does he have line of sight?
    Facing does not matter when determining Line of Sight for the single spaced figures. The best way to tell if your Attacker has a clear Line of Sight is to get behind its head and look at the targeted figure. If you can see any part of the targeted figures Hit Zone from its head, you have a clear Line of Sight. The facing of the attacker's head does not matter.
    With double-space figures, facing does matter, as certain areas of the body may block Line of Sight. Remember that you can flip your figure anytime during a double-space figures move, so keep Line of Sight in mind when you are moving.

We could change Ambush to be:

AMBUSH
    If Rattlesnake Reed has unobscured line of sight to the back of a figure, add 1 to his attack value. If there is a dispute as to whether Rattlesnake has a successful Ambush, each player rolls the 20-sided die and the higher roll decides.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:30 am