Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming

Nomad

Re: W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming

Post  Nomad on Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:17 am

The facing and clear line of sight issue refers to when a figure is attacking. When it is your turn you can move, spin, and adjust your figures, but not when it is not your turn. When Rattlesnake attacks a figure, that figure can not spin around and see Rattlesnake because it is not that targeted figure's turn. I think going for clear line of sight is fine, and maybe add a clarification in the book.

There are figures within Raelin's aura that she cannot protect because they might be behind her . . . and you can't spin her around when it is not your turn to protect them.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:11 pm

Nomad wrote:The facing and clear line of sight issue refers to when a figure is attacking. When it is your turn you can move, spin, and adjust your figures, but not when it is not your turn. When Rattlesnake attacks a figure, that figure can not spin around and see Rattlesnake because it is not that targeted figure's turn. I think going for clear line of sight is fine, and maybe add a clarification in the book.

There are figures within Raelin's aura that she cannot protect because they might be behind her . . . and you can't spin her around when it is not your turn to protect them.

Aaah, excellent points!! Can't spin if it isn't your turn. Probably goes in the FAQ. I'm catching on now : P
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:18 pm

I am good with upping his range to 6 if you want.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:58 am

Bump.

Can we play test with a range of 6?
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:25 pm

Yes, let's go with a range of 6. I will update OP ASAP.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:58 am

Rattlesnake Reed

General: Utgar
    Planet: Earth

Species: Human
    Unique Hero
    Class: Outlaw
    Personality: Sneaky
    Medium 5

Life: 4
    Move: 5
    Range: 6
    Attack: 2
    Defense: 2
    50 Points

Double attack
    When Rattlesnake Reed attacks, he may attack 1 additional time

Ambush
    If Rattlesnake Reed attacks a figure that doesn't have clear line of site on 'Pistol' Pete, add 1 to 'Pistol' Pete's attack.

OP updated to the above, which is where I believe we have him.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:26 pm

Fixed the last clause of the second power. Let's move him to play testing.

“Rattlesnake” Reed

General: Utgar
    Planet: Earth

Species: Human
    Unique Hero
    Class: Outlaw
    Personality: Sneaky
    Medium 5

Life: 4
    Move: 5
    Range: 6
    Attack: 2
    Defense: 2
    50 Points

DOUBLE ATTACK
    When “Rattlesnake” Reed attacks, he may attack 1 additional time

AMBUSH
    If “Rattlesnake” Reed attacks a figure that doesn't have clear line of sight on "Rattlesnake" Reed, add 1 to "Rattlesnake" Reed's attack.

Last edited by Nomad on Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:15 pm

New and improved card added to previous post.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:33 am

Three play tests.

Beakface Sneaks x3, Quorik Warwitch, Darrin Razorbeak, Rattlesnake Reed, Tearik Drako, Sentinels of Grax = 510 points

Battle #1 v. Varkaanan Quickblades, Greyspears, Swiftfangs, Darkclaws, Arktos = 505 points
    @ Myrr Isabrot

Summary: This was fairly close . . . until the end of the second round. Arktos was heroic and the Greyspears put a hurting on Quorik from range. The battle lasted five rounds. The Varkaanans had 248 points remaining.

Thoughts: In round 2, Rattlesnake was able to pull of his Ambush, rolling 3/4 skulls to kill a Swiftfang. In round four, he put 2 wounds on Arktos with his double attack from height. He totaled 58 points in damage. Three other Reed attacks were blocked by Varkaanans. He was a nice ranged compliment to the Raptorian army. With his sneaky personality, I felt he fit in as a filler with the Sneaks.

Battle #2 v. Gorillinators x2, Agent Scarlett, Nakita Agents, Zaeus = 510 points
    @ Falcon

Summary: Different battle this time. It lasted into the 5th round with the hot-rolling Raptorian army cruising to victory with 372 points left. Only one Sneak fell. The trio of Darrin, Quorik, and Tearik wore through the Vydar army's defenses. Darrin single-handedly took out Zaeus with two attacks of 4 at the end of the 3rd round. Vydar lost an OM and the route was on.

Thoughts: Nothing to see here. Rattlesneak didn't even get an OM in this route.

Battle #3 v. Alpha Prime Enforcer x3, Commander Kaelix, Drow Chainfighter x2, Dumutef Guard x2, Warden 816, Isamu, Mistress Isadora = 505 points
    @ Elswin Plateau

Summary: This was the most fun I've had doing a play test in forever. It took 12 rounds. It came down to Isadora against a Grax (and one imprisoned on Izzy's card). At the end, the Grax hit Izzy with 3 skulls. Izzy only managed two shields in seven dice. The Grax in prison escaped, so the Raptorian army won with 100 points left. But it could have gone either way. This seemed like it would be a route early. From the 6th round on, Izzy was pretty much on her own - and she was amazing! The Mistress was hot with the 20-sider, putting 4 Sneaks, Rattlesnake Reed, a Grax, and Quorik (twice!) in cyber prison. Fun times.

Thoughts: After the last battle's inactivity, I brought Reed up to the plateau in the first round to see what he could do. In round 1, he took out a Dumutef with a 3-skull roll, but whiffed on his second attack. A Chainfighter put two wounds on Reed. In the 2nd round, an Enforcer put another wound on Reed. With one-life left, Reed didn't get any OMs for a while fearing that he would be taken out soon. The Sneaks were able to take control of the plateau, freeing up Reed. In round 5, he double-attacked Kaelix twice. All four of his attacks were blocked by the Commander. In the 7th round, he rolled 2/3 and 1/3 skulls to kill Kaelix, who rolled 1/4 and 0/4 shields in defense. In rounds 8 and 10, Isadora blocked four Reed attacks. He was thrown in cyber prison in round 9, but escaped without damage at the end of the round. Isadora finally killed Rattlesnake Reed at the start of the 11th round. Reed dealt 105 points of damage with the kill on the Dumutef and the 2 wounds on Kaelix.

Reflections: The chance of pulling of Ambush is not very likely. And once you do it once, your opponent will learn to position their figures to look in the direction of Reed. Trivial but fun power. Reed is a cool 50 point filler. I would not suggest changing anything. He is basically the same as Guilty McCreech, but with one less range and two more life. 50 points seems right - although the Marro Warriors are even better as a filler unit. I am looking forward to the Outlaw boss being created.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:26 am