Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming

Nomad
    Nomad

W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming - Page 2 Empty Re: W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming

Post  Nomad Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:17 am

The facing and clear line of sight issue refers to when a figure is attacking. When it is your turn you can move, spin, and adjust your figures, but not when it is not your turn. When Rattlesnake attacks a figure, that figure can not spin around and see Rattlesnake because it is not that targeted figure's turn. I think going for clear line of sight is fine, and maybe add a clarification in the book.

There are figures within Raelin's aura that she cannot protect because they might be behind her . . . and you can't spin her around when it is not your turn to protect them.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming - Page 2 Empty Re: W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming

Post  Lord Kai Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:11 pm

Nomad wrote:The facing and clear line of sight issue refers to when a figure is attacking. When it is your turn you can move, spin, and adjust your figures, but not when it is not your turn. When Rattlesnake attacks a figure, that figure can not spin around and see Rattlesnake because it is not that targeted figure's turn. I think going for clear line of sight is fine, and maybe add a clarification in the book.

There are figures within Raelin's aura that she cannot protect because they might be behind her . . . and you can't spin her around when it is not your turn to protect them.

Aaah, excellent points!! Can't spin if it isn't your turn. Probably goes in the FAQ. I'm catching on now : P
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:18 pm

I am good with upping his range to 6 if you want.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:58 am

Bump.

Can we play test with a range of 6?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:25 pm

Yes, let's go with a range of 6. I will update OP ASAP.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:58 am

Rattlesnake Reed

General: Utgar
    Planet: Earth

Species: Human
    Unique Hero
    Class: Outlaw
    Personality: Sneaky
    Medium 5

Life: 4
    Move: 5
    Range: 6
    Attack: 2
    Defense: 2
    50 Points

Double attack
    When Rattlesnake Reed attacks, he may attack 1 additional time

Ambush
    If Rattlesnake Reed attacks a figure that doesn't have clear line of site on 'Pistol' Pete, add 1 to 'Pistol' Pete's attack.

OP updated to the above, which is where I believe we have him.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:26 pm

Fixed the last clause of the second power. Let's move him to play testing.

“Rattlesnake” Reed

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

50 Points

DOUBLE ATTACK
    When “Rattlesnake” Reed attacks, he may attack 1 additional time

AMBUSH
    If “Rattlesnake” Reed attacks a figure that doesn't have clear line of sight on "Rattlesnake" Reed, add 1 to "Rattlesnake" Reed's attack.

Last edited by Nomad on Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:45 am; edited 2 times in total
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:15 pm

New and improved card added to previous post.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:33 am

Three play tests.

Beakface Sneaks x3, Quorik Warwitch, Darrin Razorbeak, Rattlesnake Reed, Tearik Drako, Sentinels of Grax = 510 points

Battle #1 v. Varkaanan Quickblades, Greyspears, Swiftfangs, Darkclaws, Arktos = 505 points
    @ Myrr Isabrot

W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming - Page 2 Y4mP_t4fpQ3FfEF6u5mJWebGkuPcf1AEsrxEqF4qYxJEFLsdXLnIyec4mwJS7lMKQlQmdRe0HiFa_G5ZjJSgUcS4kU4y7CCoSU88_Ioru1JwPQusdODlOhCZT7RjiN8kpJcWjg7pWzU0uzTIlQBJdFcIbu8G75ARmO7LjD9lU6Hj_gN1Wdct2ZhRbcnpxfhzIigljKwAFjHvtKRaOEG1RsgCA?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

Summary: This was fairly close . . . until the end of the second round. Arktos was heroic and the Greyspears put a hurting on Quorik from range. The battle lasted five rounds. The Varkaanans had 248 points remaining.

Thoughts: In round 2, Rattlesnake was able to pull of his Ambush, rolling 3/4 skulls to kill a Swiftfang. In round four, he put 2 wounds on Arktos with his double attack from height. He totaled 58 points in damage. Three other Reed attacks were blocked by Varkaanans. He was a nice ranged compliment to the Raptorian army. With his sneaky personality, I felt he fit in as a filler with the Sneaks.

Battle #2 v. Gorillinators x2, Agent Scarlett, Nakita Agents, Zaeus = 510 points
    @ Falcon

Summary: Different battle this time. It lasted into the 5th round with the hot-rolling Raptorian army cruising to victory with 372 points left. Only one Sneak fell. The trio of Darrin, Quorik, and Tearik wore through the Vydar army's defenses. Darrin single-handedly took out Zaeus with two attacks of 4 at the end of the 3rd round. Vydar lost an OM and the route was on.

Thoughts: Nothing to see here. Rattlesneak didn't even get an OM in this route.

Battle #3 v. Alpha Prime Enforcer x3, Commander Kaelix, Drow Chainfighter x2, Dumutef Guard x2, Warden 816, Isamu, Mistress Isadora = 505 points
    @ Elswin Plateau

W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming - Page 2 Y4m3BSGXbxVtLuyc1hMg30CAT57tGfOxWR6kkbgvDqJGZjncATpZAhRtIwNmWctWo40rcVc5kCZFJhad1WSw0OEfuwWoiZ--Zm_Idcxkj_-gZC4rU8LrKFtuYA1r11C2YiPgK7plinT0A5bqc0EjMimgRtKJn4kfDzaf4hXbZKgVEZzkyXOFhwdDwRbOvqXKxiKUWR8g9oNGxm9CTtAoNlOLA?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

Summary: This was the most fun I've had doing a play test in forever. It took 12 rounds. It came down to Isadora against a Grax (and one imprisoned on Izzy's card). At the end, the Grax hit Izzy with 3 skulls. Izzy only managed two shields in seven dice. The Grax in prison escaped, so the Raptorian army won with 100 points left. But it could have gone either way. This seemed like it would be a route early. From the 6th round on, Izzy was pretty much on her own - and she was amazing! The Mistress was hot with the 20-sider, putting 4 Sneaks, Rattlesnake Reed, a Grax, and Quorik (twice!) in cyber prison. Fun times.

Thoughts: After the last battle's inactivity, I brought Reed up to the plateau in the first round to see what he could do. In round 1, he took out a Dumutef with a 3-skull roll, but whiffed on his second attack. A Chainfighter put two wounds on Reed. In the 2nd round, an Enforcer put another wound on Reed. With one-life left, Reed didn't get any OMs for a while fearing that he would be taken out soon. The Sneaks were able to take control of the plateau, freeing up Reed. In round 5, he double-attacked Kaelix twice. All four of his attacks were blocked by the Commander. In the 7th round, he rolled 2/3 and 1/3 skulls to kill Kaelix, who rolled 1/4 and 0/4 shields in defense. In rounds 8 and 10, Isadora blocked four Reed attacks. He was thrown in cyber prison in round 9, but escaped without damage at the end of the round. Isadora finally killed Rattlesnake Reed at the start of the 11th round. Reed dealt 105 points of damage with the kill on the Dumutef and the 2 wounds on Kaelix.

Reflections: The chance of pulling of Ambush is not very likely. And once you do it once, your opponent will learn to position their figures to look in the direction of Reed. Trivial but fun power. Reed is a cool 50 point filler. I would not suggest changing anything. He is basically the same as Guilty McCreech, but with one less range and two more life. 50 points seems right - although the Marro Warriors are even better as a filler unit. I am looking forward to the Outlaw boss being created.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:50 pm

Bump. I have rebased Rattlesnake. I propose that we vote him as FINAL. We just need a bio.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:16 am

Nomad wrote:Bump. I have rebased Rattlesnake. I propose that we vote him as FINAL. We just need a bio.

Sounds good.

Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:16 pm

I am good with final. There was some talk about changing the name "Ambush", could go with "Shot in the Back", "Sneak Shot" or such, let me know.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:32 pm

I like Ambush - the definition fits the power perfectly.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:47 pm

Rattlesnake Reed
    NWHC Wave 5 – Harbingers of Triumph - Heroes of the Shadow

W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming - Page 2 Y4mzCLRhTWjyveVps89MDFmBSgC65FdMc_rgYTa9oK2_xhuLdE5yUUY9Eacwmh_MWIYjWfaozeWMg1VBiP5BnqVelvBsh7eqkVLEiPaMUic4FspDFAB46jv-PIkyfy2o673KrRYYaTdoWmHcFQRvPTEu28TlH6Omp4kp0lgDoYBaHQVT2i-CCeVlZSvBKpD6wok1mGvtrXhMzcl-hzUM3wa-g?width=1024&height=961&cropmode=none
    W5 - Rattlesnake Reed - cowboy hero brainstorming - Page 2 Y4m41lSv_QVPjEqkYGmb1ln3FLdvdwcHIOer4WwVGu9JWK8jrLbgWPGzc50KIxzmP1CrMZfRG5Wo8PfcUDx_GpamIk5ZdEMC_IjDLcxK4Ehqd-0fVk8ZMg9SHAjjBVWCmEUIom1OPPHnXB9FP49xEUmBOKUlvtoPaNx2IyaIkN02ygD8zWX9qxgRvYLFiCQeLAtiReh4dff5Z1aKQ7-d3_xuw?width=1024&height=961&cropmode=none

PDF DOWNLOAD, front
    PDF DOWNLOAD, back

Figure: Reaper, Chronoscope Bones, The Black Mist

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

50 Points

DOUBLE ATTACK
    When Rattlesnake Reed attacks, he may attack 1 additional time.

AMBUSH
    When Rattlesnake Reed attacks a figure that was not in clear line of sight prior to his move, the defending figure rolls 1 less defense die.

Character Bio:
    A well-dressed non-drinking sometimes lawman, sometimes business owner, Jim Reed had a dark side. He was also a hired assassin, cattle rustler, and train robber. Not being the fastest on the draw, Reed resorted to surprise, often getting his targets in the back, thus earning the nickname "Rattlesnake."

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- N/A

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered

-Figure Name: Power
    Plain Text

Synergy Benefits Received

-ORNAK: Red Flag of Fury Aura
    As a Unique Hero who follows Utgar, Rattlesnake Reed may benefit from Ornak's RED FLAG OF FURY AURA activation power.

-TORIN: Evil Eye Protection
    As a medium figure who follows Utgar, Rattlesnake Reed benefits from Torin's EVIL EYE PROTECTION special power when he rolls defense dice against a normal ranged attack while he is adjacent to Torin.

Synergy Imposed

-ANA KARITHON: Protection from Evil Aura
    As a figure who follows Utgar, Rattlesnake Reed causes small and medium figures that are friendly to Ana Karithon and within 3 clear sight spaces of Ana to roll an extra defense die when Rattlesnake Reed attacks those figures, due to Ana's PROTECTION FROM EVIL AURA.

-TEMPLAR CAVALRY: Righteous Smite
    As a figure who follows Utgar, Rattlesnake Reed causes opposing Templar Cavalry figures to roll an extra attack die against him with the Templar Cavalry's RIGHTEOUS SMITE special power.

Last edited by Nomad on Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:10 pm

Looks good!

I think there will be some debate on the Line of Sight rulings - like how most humanoid figures have the sight point on the head - so can they see behind them?

I do think that it is an awesome power though and I think the intent of the Amush is that the target figure can only see 'forward' so you have to pay attention to how you align your figures.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:37 pm

I don't think figures can see behind them, even if humanoid.

This power really only works once per game. Once you have been ambushed, you will position your figures to look in the direction of Reed after your turn. This power is really just for fun to take advantage of those non-experienced players. Really, it has only come into play a couple of times in all of the play tests. But, it is thematic.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:02 pm

OK, I have done some research. Kai - you are correct.

The ambush power is pretty lame in that it will only work against double-space soulborgs, roughly.

Maybe we should tweak the power to be a little more powerful. Such as:

AMBUSH
    If Rattlesnake Reed targets a figure and doesn't have clear line of sight of the figure's target point, add 1 to Rattlesnake Reed's attack.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:30 pm

Nomad wrote:OK, I have done some research. Kai - you are correct.

The ambush power is pretty lame in that it will only work against double-space soulborgs, roughly.

AMBUSH
    If Rattlesnake Reed targets a figure and doesn't have clear line of sight of the figure's target point, add 1 to Rattlesnake Reed's attack.

Yeah I disagree with the ruling that single based can basically have their head on a swivel. Lame.

How about borrowing from the Templar Cavalry "Charge" - something like:

AMBUSH
    Rattlesnake Reed receives 1 additional attack die when attacking any figure that was at least 4 clear sight spaces away from him at the start of the turn.

or maybe ..

AMBUSH
    Rattlesnake Reed receives 1 additional attack die when attacking any figure that was at least 4 spaces away from him at the start of the turn.

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:34 pm

Lord Kai wrote:
    Nomad wrote:OK, I have done some research. Kai - you are correct.

AMBUSH

Yeah I disagree with the ruling that single based can basically have their head on a swivel.  Lame.

How about borrowing from the Templar Cavalry "Charge" - something like:

AMBUSH
    Rattlesnake Reed receives 1 additional attack die when attacking any figure that was at least 4 clear sight spaces away from him at the start of the turn.

or maybe ..

AMBUSH
    Rattlesnake Reed receives 1 additional attack die when attacking any figure that was at least 4 spaces away from him at the start of the turn.

Good ideas, which got me thinking. What about this? I think it incorporates the theme of an ambush.

AMBUSH
    When Rattlesnake Reed attacks a figure that was not in clear line of sight prior to his move, add 1 die to his attack.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:24 pm

That is a weird ruling as I always thought Raelin couldn't protect certain figures even if they were in range because you couldn't swivel her when not your turn. I think for simplicity sake going with a distance starting point should be the way to go. He has got a range of 6 so it needs to be more than that. How about

AMBUSH
    Rattlesnake Reed receives 1 additional attack when attacking any figure that was at least 7 spaces away from him at the start of the turn.

if we wanted to add a little more bite (ha ha) we could add

If the figure was at least 10 spaces away roll 1 additional attack die.

this would happen pretty infrequently but just a thought.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:27 am

I think this option gives some more flexibility:

AMBUSH
    When Rattlesnake Reed attacks a figure that was not in clear line of sight prior to his move, add 1 die to his attack.

… like if he was just 3 spaces away behind a rock outcrop … he could jump out and get the Ambush bonus (they didn't see him coming).
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:03 pm

I prefer:

AMBUSH

If we went the other way, I think the power should be renamed, since it doesn't really fit Ambush, in my opinion:

RUN AND GUN (or something)
    Rattlesnake Reed receives 1 additional attack when attacking any figure that was at least 7 spaces away from him at the start of the turn.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:35 am

Sounds good to me.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:26 pm

Go AMBUSH! : )
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:56 pm

Hmm. Since Rattlesnake has a double attack, should we change this so that he only gets the extra die on his first attack. If he has height, two ranged attacks of four might be a bit much for a 50 point figure.

AMBUSH
    When Rattlesnake Reed attacks a figure that was not in clear line of sight prior to his move, add 1 die to his first attack.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 pm