Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W5 - Swift Draw Hardin - cowboy brainstorming

Derek S
    Derek S

W5 - Swift Draw Hardin - cowboy brainstorming  Empty W5 - Swift Draw Hardin - cowboy brainstorming

Post  Derek S Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:18 pm

"Quick Draw" Hardin
    NWHC Wave ? – Wave Title - Pack Title

W5 - Swift Draw Hardin - cowboy brainstorming  Rpr80002

PDF DOWNLOAD, front
    PDF DOWNLOAD, back

Figure: Reaper, Chronoscope Bones, Deadeye Slim

General: Valkrill
    Planet: Earth

Species: Human
    Unique Hero
    Class: Outlaw
    Personality: Dangerous
    Medium 5

Life: 5
    Move: 5
    Range: 6
    Attack: 3
    Defense: 2
    90 Points

SWIFT DRAW
    When Swift Draw Hardin is targeted for an attack from a non-adjacent figure within 6 clear site spaces, before that figures rolls attack dice, roll one die. If a skull is rolled the attacking figure receives 1 wound and cannot attack Swift Draw Hardin this turn

DOUBLE ATTACK
    When "Quick Draw" Hardin attacks, he may attack one additional time.

Character Bio:
    Born in Fannin County, Texas to a father who was a Minister and Lawyer, "Quick Draw" would not follow in his father's footsteps.  Practicing for hours a day with a gun, even as a kid, Hardin honed the skills of a quick draw and pinpoint accuracy.  Being slight of build "Quick Draw" avoided verbal and physical confrontation at an early age, instead relying on his reflexes and accuracy with a gun to settle disputes.  This method served "Quick Draw" well as few would cross him as his reputation of being the fastest gunman spread.  But no matter how fast you are with a gun, it's hard to be faster than someone standing at your back with a gun already pulled while you are throwing the dice.

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- N/A

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered

-Figure Name: Power
    Plain Text

Synergy Benefits Received

Plain Text

Synergy Imposed

Plain Text

Last edited by Derek S on Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W5 - Swift Draw Hardin - cowboy brainstorming  Empty Re: W5 - Swift Draw Hardin - cowboy brainstorming

Post  Lord Kai Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:35 am

QUICK DRAW
    When "Quick Draw" Hardin is targeted for an attack from a figure within 6 clear site spaces, before that figures rolls attack dice, roll one die. If a skull is rolled the attacking figure receives 1 wound and cannot attack this turn. "Quick Draw" Hardin may not use Quick Draw more than twice per opponents turn.

Quick Draw is pretty deadly. Almost like a ranged Engagement Strike. Do you think a d20 version would be more balanced?
    Derek S
    Derek S

W5 - Swift Draw Hardin - cowboy brainstorming  Empty Re: W5 - Swift Draw Hardin - cowboy brainstorming

Post  Derek S Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:41 pm

Yeah, I was originally thinking the same, but is only a 50% chance. Another option might be if he rolls more skulls than the attacking figure he ignores any wounds and the attacking figure receives 1 wound. Still thematic about him being accurate with his draw and aim and might be more balanced. He'll be good with Raelin and height here though.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:45 pm

I'm sorry that I missed this earlier - I've been using all of my "heroscape time" getting our 3rd wave up on Heroscapers.com.

I love this figure!

Great bio! I already know this guy. Excellent concept with the Quick Draw power! Maybe just remove the part about not allowing the figure to attack and make it work only against ranged attacks and I would vote to keep it simpler by eliminating the last sentence . . . something like this:

QUICK DRAW
    When "Quick Draw" Hardin is targeted for an attack from a non-adjacent figure within 6 clear site spaces, before that figures rolls attack dice, roll one die. If a skull is rolled the attacking figure receives 1 wound. If the attacking figure is destroyed, then it cannot attack this turn.

I like the double attack, but I think his points should be at 50/55 and life dropped down to 4 or 3.

Nice work! I'm looking forward to painting this one.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:20 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, I will consider them closely soon.  I haven't painted this guy yet, so if you get started on him let me know the color scheme and I'll do the same.  I was thinking tan pants, blue shirt, tan hat, and maybe a brownish overcoat.   The bio is basically the story of Jon Wesley Hardin

Maybe coming up with a name different than Hardin wouldn't be bad.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:46 am

General: Valkrill
    Planet: Earth

Species: Human
    Unique Hero
    Class: Outlaw
    Personality: Dangerous Tempermental Deadly
    Medium 5

Life: 5 3
    Move: 5
    Range: 6
    Attack: 3
    Defense: 2
    45 50 Points

QUICK DRAW
    When "Quick Draw" Hardin is targeted for an attack from a figure within 6 clear site spaces, before that figures rolls attack dice, roll one die. If a skull is rolled the attacking figure receives 1 wound and cannot attack this turn. "Quick Draw" Hardin may not use Quick Draw more than twice per opponents turn.

When "Quick Draw" Hardin is attacked from a figure within 6 clear site spaces, if "Quick Draw" rolls more skulls than the attacking figure, the attacking figure receives 1 wound and ignore all damage.

DOUBLE ATTACK
    When "Quick Draw" Hardin attacks, he may attack one additional time.

What do you all think about the changes. Thought Quick Draw would be better without the minor hesitation in actual game play mechanics.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:44 pm

QUICK DRAW is sounding like Evil Eye Protection ... which I think is a good direction. Probably should bump his Defense to 3 to make it more useful. Do you think that he protects adjacent friendly's as well?

EVIL EYE
    When Torin, or any friendly small or medium Utgar figure adjacent to Torin, rolls defense dice against a normal attack from a non-adjacent attacking figure, all excess shields count as unblockable hits inflicted by Torin on the attacking figure.

so maybe ...

QUICK DRAW
    When "Quick Draw Hardin," or any friendly figure adjacent to Torin, rolls defense dice against a normal attack from an attacking figure that is within 6 clear sight spaces of "Quick Draw Hardin," all excess shields count as unblockable hits inflicted by "Quick Draw Hardin" on the attacking figure.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:48 pm

Interesting idea about adjacent figures. As long as he retains needing clear site I could absolutely go this direction.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:09 pm

Started painting this guy last night and kind of like where he is headed. Will post a pic when closer to being finished.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:44 am

W5 - Swift Draw Hardin - cowboy brainstorming  52310W5 - Swift Draw Hardin - cowboy brainstorming  52210
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:29 pm

Suggested changes sound good.

I like the double opportunity of rolling enough shields to block the attack, or enough skulls to ignore damage and inflict a wound. I don't really favor going with Torin's power of adding adjacent figures being able to block attacks/inflict wounds . . . too much to consider, would raise points, etc.

Paint job looks good, even better in person.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:33 pm

Yeah, the pics seem pretty glossy and not so much (although a little too glossy) in person. I tend to agree with just him for counter attack
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:03 am

How about a combo of our suggestions?

QUICK DRAW
    If Quick Draw Hardin is attacked normally from a non-adjacent figure within 6 clear site spaces, if Quick Draw Hardin rolls more skulls than the attacking figure, the attacking figure receive 1 wound and Quick Draw Hardin ignores all damage. (Needs a ton of word-smithing, but I hope you get the idea - the more skulls part pertains to his defense roll).
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:49 am

Basically just not letting it work against special attacks. I am good with that.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:55 pm

and it doesn't work when he is attacked by the figure he is engaged with.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:52 pm

So Quick Draw is attacked and when he rolls Defense .. Shields block as normal but if he rolls more Skulls on defense, then he doesn't take any wounds and instead inflicts 1 wound back?

He only has 2 defense, so this is likely to only work against lower attack ranged squads. Should you bump his Defense to 3?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:04 pm

I could easily see defense 3. He could be pretty tough against range with Raelin and another bonus, but I am OK with that, especially with his life of 3. Should his normal attack be dropped to 2? I kind of liked 3 to represent his accuracy but a drop wouldn't be too bad.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed May 13, 2015 7:09 pm

Looks like C3V and Garrett Burns beat us with the Quick Draw power . . .
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu May 14, 2015 12:54 am

Nomad wrote:Looks like C3V and Garrett Burns beat us with the Quick Draw power . . .

Stealing our cowboys ...
    Messing with our gladiators ...

They better not come out with pirates!!!
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun May 17, 2015 11:53 pm

I kind of liked where are Quick Draw was heading as there was no turn pause for the attacker and wouldn't mind continuing with the design if you all don't mind. Might have to rename the power but that is ok with me.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon May 18, 2015 1:00 pm

Derek S wrote:I kind of liked where are Quick Draw was heading as there was no turn pause for the attacker and wouldn't mind continuing with the design if you all don't mind.  Might have to rename the power but that is ok with me.

Sure, we'll just change the name.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue May 19, 2015 11:54 am

Fastest Gun Alive?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue May 19, 2015 6:37 pm

Maybe something with "Gunslinger" or maybe "Duelist" .. there is also something about "Lightning Draw" in this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunfighter

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue May 19, 2015 6:58 pm

I like Lightning Draw - quicker than Quick Draw!!
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed May 20, 2015 2:47 am

I could also see something like an Initiative bonus if all of your OM's are on Outlaws .. etc.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:07 am