Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W4 - Roukai - Varkaanan Rune Caster - ready for final

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W4 - Roukai - Varkaanan Rune Caster - ready for final Empty W4 - Roukai - Varkaanan Rune Caster - ready for final

Post  Lord Kai Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:36 pm

VARKAANAN RUNE CASTER

Figure: Confrontation, Wolves, Fangs Attachment box
    http://www.miniaturemarket.com/rkh-wfre03.html  

General:  AQUILLA
    Planet:

Species: Wolf
    Unique Hero
    Class: Shaman
    Personality: Tricky
    Large 6

Life: 5
    Move: 5
    Range: 1
    Attack: 3
    Defense: 3
    80 Points

RUNE CASTING
    At the start of each round, before order markers are placed, roll three combat dice and place the results on this Army Card.  For each skull on this card, add 1 to Rune Caster's attack value.  For each shield on this card, add 1 to the defense value of all unengaged Blade Dancer's you control within 6 clear sight spaces of Rune Caster.  At the end of the round, remove all combat dice from this Army Card.

SHAMAN BONDING
    After taking a turn with the Blade Dancers, you may remove a blank combat die from this card to take a turn with Rune Caster.

Notes:  This custom is to help the Blade Dancers be more competitive now that the Unique Varkaanan squads have totally overshadowed them : P

Blade Dancers:  http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=37764

W4 - Roukai - Varkaanan Rune Caster - ready for final Wolfen%20Rune%20Guardian

Last edited by Lord Kai on Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
    Nomad
    Nomad

W4 - Roukai - Varkaanan Rune Caster - ready for final Empty Re: W4 - Roukai - Varkaanan Rune Caster - ready for final

Post  Nomad Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:55 pm

I love the Rune Caster! Interesting new mechanic - how did you come up with this idea?

The whole pack is only $7 . . . we will make plans for the other two heroes?

Planet: Grut

I can't think of any questions or concerns. Numbers look about right on my first glance. Sure, we can tweak the language, but I vote we move this figure to play testing.
    Derek S
    Derek S

W4 - Roukai - Varkaanan Rune Caster - ready for final Empty Re: W4 - Roukai - Varkaanan Rune Caster - ready for final

Post  Derek S Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:50 pm

Yeah, some pretty cool ideas here. My only concern is adding permanent defense die to the blade dancers for the round, who can already increase their defense value. Maybe you can remove a defense die from rune caster for an auto shield (so you would get up to 3 auto shields per round for the Dancer's) or add a defense die for a roll if auto shield is too powerful.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:39 pm

Derek S wrote:Yeah, some pretty cool ideas here.  My only concern is adding permanent defense die to the blade dancers for the round, who can already increase their defense value.  Maybe you can remove a defense die from rune caster for an auto shield (so you would get up to 3 auto shields per round for the Dancer's) or add a defense die for a roll if auto shield is too powerful.

I was reorganizing my Heroscape shelf the other day and saw the Blade Dancers just collecting dust (literally). The Unique Varkaanan squads are so much cooler and they have NO synergy with the Dancers so I don't imagine the lady-wolves getting in the game without a boost. In my games with the Blade Dancers, they fall pretty fast to Ranged attacks (with their base Defense at 3). They are great if they can get engaged .. its just getting there that is the problem (though most melee units have that issue).

The auto-shield is interesting. Would require clear sight, or do you see that within an Aura range of 6?

For 80-points, Raelin is still better and more consistent than the Rune Caster but her Aura is shorter range.

The Rune Caster will work with the Unique Squads, in that he can Bond through Wolf Pack, but then he'd be more relying on rolling Skulls for bonus attack than Defense.

Would you like to see the Rune Caster work with all Varkaanan squads, or stick with just the Blade Dancers?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:24 pm

Damon wrote:I love the Rune Caster! Interesting new mechanic - how did you come up with this idea?

The whole pack is only $7 . . . we will make plans for the other two heroes?

Planet: Grut

I can't think of any questions or concerns. Numbers look about right on my first glance. Sure, we can tweak the language, but I vote we move this figure to play testing.

Kai wrote:Would you like to see the Rune Caster work with all Varkaanan squads, or stick with just the Blade Dancers?

As you said, he still works with Wolf Pack. If you wanted to tweak it to include extra defense for all Varkaanans, I would limit it to an aura. I prefer extra dice over auto shield (1 auto shield = 3 extra defense dice).
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:44 pm

Would you like to see the Rune Caster work with all Varkaanan squads, or stick with just the Blade Dancers?

I like it with just the Dancers but could see it expanded to all.

The auto-shield is interesting. Would require clear sight, or do you see that within an Aura range of 6?

It is kind of a spell so I could see it working with or without sight, I am good either way.

Damon wrote: I prefer extra dice over auto shield (1 auto shield = 3 extra defense dice).

yes, but if you roll only 1 shield for rune caster, you'd potentially roll 12 extra defense die (if a squad of 4 make all their attacks against Blade Dancers) which = 4 sheilds. with the auto shield you only get to use that 1 shield for rune caster once, then it is removed. If you roll 3 shields for rune caster 36 extra defense die for the round (+ how many the dancers are engaged with), or 3 auto shields for the round. I actually think the auto shield is more strategic as to when to use it as well.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:06 pm

Sorry, Derek. I totally skimmed over the part where you would remove the shield on Rune Caster - only once per round then. Yep - I likey.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:28 pm

FYI ... I was going through some old mini boxes and found a second set of Rune Caster and the other 2 Wolfen that come in the package .. so I have a set to share.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:13 pm

So, at this point, are we going with . . .

All Varkaanans with the defensive boost, or just Blade Dancers?

Extra defense dice or auto shield by removing die that showed shield?

Great custom - I can go either way.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:53 pm

Nomad wrote:So, at this point, are we going with . . .

All Varkaanans with the defensive boost, or just Blade Dancers?

Extra defense dice or auto shield by removing die that showed shield?

Great custom - I can go either way.

I would prefer to help just the Blade Dancers .. as they are collecting dust : (
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:55 pm

Damon wrote:Extra defense dice or auto shield by removing die that showed shield?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:56 pm

Let's keep play-testing bonus defense dice.

Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:04 pm

I will give him a play test with bonus defense, but I honestly think the blade dancers can be amazingly tough when engaged and I really don't want to see them, or think that they need to be rolling extra defense dice when engaged.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:19 am

Good assessment, Derek. With extra defense from engaged figures for the Blade Dancers and more from the Rune Caster, perhaps there could be a different way to use those shields on the toss of three dice.

1) Making them 1 auto-shield that can be used after defense dice are rolled.
    2) Making them 1 auto-shield before attack/defense dice are rolled?
    3) Extending either of the above to include all Varkanaans.
    4) Treat the shields like the blanks - use them to bond instead of providing defense.
    5) Use the shields as extra defense for the Rune Caster only, like the skulls are now for attack

There are other options . . . I'm all for making this guy the best we can collectively come up with.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:45 am

or

RUNE CASTING
    At the start of each round, before order markers are placed, roll three combat dice and place the results on this Army Card. For each skull on this card, add 1 to Rune Caster's attack value. For each shield on this card, add 1 to the defense value of all unengaged Blade Dancer's you control within 6 clear sight spaces of Rune Caster. At the end of the round, remove all combat dice from this Army Card.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:48 pm

Derek S wrote:or

RUNE CASTING
    At the start of each round, before order markers are placed, roll three combat dice and place the results on this Army Card.  For each skull on this card, add 1 to Rune Caster's attack value.  For each shield on this card, add 1 to the defense value of all unengaged Blade Dancer's you control within 6 clear sight spaces of Rune Caster.  At the end of the round, remove all combat dice from this Army Card.

The Unengaged part keeps is pretty clean and accomplishes what I was going for ... the Blades surviving long enough against range to close the distance and be more competitive.

Because of the variability of the bonuses (attack for the hero, defense for the squad), the bonuses won't be over-powering every round (like a +2 from Raelin on everything can be).
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:44 pm

Derek wrote:RUNE CASTING
    At the start of each round, before order markers are placed, roll three combat dice and place the results on this Army Card. For each skull on this card, add 1 to Rune Caster's attack value. For each shield on this card, add 1 to the defense value of all unengaged Blade Dancer's you control within 6 clear sight spaces of Rune Caster. At the end of the round, remove all combat dice from this Army Card.

That works for me too. Good idea. Shall we move Rune Caster to play testing?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:10 am

Play-testing it is.

I will update the OP.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon May 11, 2015 9:21 pm

Derek - can we get your thumbs up for moving this guy to play testing?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed May 20, 2015 8:04 pm

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: VARKANAAN RUNE CASTER

THEME TEST: Are there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that do not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character should be able to do? Also consider whether or not this character's powers should affect destructible objects. PASS.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play? INCONCLUSIVE.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying? PASS.

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable? PASS.

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game? PASS. I think the Rune Caster’s powers made it more interesting for the opponent. Often, the 4th chose to engage Varkanaans rather than shoot from range when the Rune Caster rolled two shields at the beginning of the round.

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately? PASS.

SYNERGIES TEST: Think of all the current cards that would have synergy with the unit card. Are there any factors that could break the game by making a unit too powerful or too weak? PASS.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be overamplified and break the game? PASS.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting? INCONCLUSIVE.

MIRROR TEST: Consider the test unit against itself. Are there any loops that would upset the balance of the Game? PASS.

ARMY TEST

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary. [insert pass/fail, point value, and brief summary] INCONCLUSIVE. Although the Rune Caster saved a squad of Blade Dancers over the course of the match, I’m still not sure if someone else would have been a better addition to the x4 Dancers. 80 points seems about right for the numbers and potential. For the record, here are the results of the four 3-dice rolls:
    Round 1- 1 skull, 1 shield, 1 blank.
    Round 2- 1 skull, 2 shields.
    Round 3- 1 skull, 2 shields.
    Round 4- 1 skull, 1 shield, 1 blank.

Map: Custom by Damon that included RotV and BftU

Army 1 (Damon): Manauvi, Rune Caster, Blade Dancers x4 = 510 points.
    VS
    Army 2 (Damon): Charros, Thorgrim, 4th Mass Line x3 = 500 points.

Battle Report:
    Rd 1: Charros moved out to block the left side of the map, Thorgrim moved into position, the 4th moved up. Blade Dancers and Rune Caster moved forward, then Manauvi charged ahead into Charros, getting two attacks in rounds 2 and 3. Charros blocked both and counter-struck for two wounds on Manauvi.
    Rd 2: All 4th – got Lodin and Def +1 glyph. Pummeled Manauvi for a couple of wounds and took out a couple of Dancers despite them rolling two extra dice from the Rune Caster. Manauvi went after Charros and earned another wound for trying. The Blade Dancers got off three attacks on the 4th, but failed (4 attack v. 4 defense). Manauvi was dead at the end of the round.
    Rd 3: Charros moved forward to tie down a couple of Blade Dancers, killing one. The 4th moved forward to take out more Dancers. Finally, a couple of glyph-holding 4th fell. A couple of Dancers got attacks in on Charros, but they both died due to counter-strike.
    Rd 4: Rune Caster attacked Charros and was countered. Blade Dancers put three wounds on Thorgrim and took out three 4th. Charros and the 4th dispatched the Rune Caster and the rest of the Blade Dancers
    Final Score: Charros was full life, Thorgrim had 3 wounds and the 4th lost five for a total of 354 points or so left in this blow-out.

Final thoughts: Hmm, Rune Caster and Blade Dancers were pretty pathetic against this Valiant army. Too early to tell, but to make these guys worth playing, we may want to reconsider making the shields on the initial roll work for defense for all attacks, instead of just non-adjacent . . . or lower the Rune Caster’s points or bump something. I’m not suggesting this yet – it was only one play test. The Valiant army was pretty tough, but this got ugly quick.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu May 21, 2015 9:07 am

Yay! a battle-report!!!

Glad that you got in a play-test with the Rune Caster. Since his bonus to defense is variable, he's not going to be as strong as say Raelin. That might make him worth less points but she's sort of broken anyway.

I'm headed out of town for Memorial Day weekend but we'll have to set up a time to 'Scape again soon.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat May 23, 2015 1:37 pm

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: VARKANAAN RUNE CASTER

THEME TEST: Are there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that do not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character should be able to do? Also consider whether or not this character's powers should affect destructible objects. PASS.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play? INCONCLUSIVE, but a little more intriguing this battle.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying? PASS.

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable? PASS.

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game? PASS. The Rune Caster saved a few Blade Dancers with the aura, but something seems to still be missing to make them still worth playing.

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately? PASS.

SYNERGIES TEST: Think of all the current cards that would have synergy with the unit card. Are there any factors that could break the game by making a unit too powerful or too weak? PASS.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be overamplified and break the game? PASS, but I have a Blade Dancer engaged with three figures, height, and +2 shield aura from a ranged attack – I got to roll 9 defensive dice! And the Dancer barely survived an attack of two.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting? INCONCLUSIVE.

MIRROR TEST: Consider the test unit against itself. Are there any loops that would upset the balance of the Game? PASS.

ARMY TEST

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary. [insert pass/fail, point value, and brief summary] INCONCLUSIVE. I went with Syvarris instead of Manauvi in this battle. Syvarris put two wounds on Charros and killed a couple of Bluecoats before falling. I’m still not sure if someone else would have been a better addition to the x4 Dancers than the Rune Caster. 80 points seems about right for the numbers and potential. For the record, here are the results of the 3-dice rolls before each round:
    Round 1- 2 skulls, 1 blank. Too early to get an attack off for the Rune Caster.
    Round 2- 2 skulls, 1 shield. The Rune Caster got an attack of 4/6 skulls on Charros, who blocked it with 4 shields.
    Round 3- 1 skull, 2 shields. The 4th didn’t try any ranged shots on aura protected Dancers.
    Round 4- 1 skull, 1 shield, 1 blank. The bonding got the Rune Caster into a spot to protect, but he didn’t get an attack in. The extra die may have protected a couple of Dancers.
    Round 5 – 1 skull, 1 shield, 1 blank. The Rune Caster got a couple of wounds on Thorgrim with his bonding turn.
    Round 6 – 1 skull, 2 shields. The shields were useless with only one Dancer left way back in the start zone.

Map: Custom by Damon that included RotV and BftU

Army 1 (Damon): Syvarris, Rune Caster, Blade Dancers x4 = 500 points.
    VS
    Army 2 (Damon): Charros, Thorgrim, 4th Mass Line x3 = 500 points.

Battle Report:
    Rd 1: The 4th killed a Dancer on the Def+1 glyph, Charros counter-struck another, Syvarris rolled 5/6 skulls in two attacks on Charros, but he defended.
    Rd 2: All 4th – Syvarris put two wounds on Charros and killed a couple of 4th after they put two wounds on him. Charros left high ground to engage Syvarris and put a wound on him. The Rune Caster hit Charros with a 4 skull attack, but Charros laughed it off with 4 shields.
    Rd 3: Charros killed Syvarris and a Dancer with counter strike, but the Blade Dancers rolled well to kill Charros and a 4th, who took out a Dancer on the glyph to close the round.
    Rd 4: The 4th killed a couple of Dancers and put a wound on the Rune Caster, while the Dancers failed their 3 attacks.
    Rd 5: The Rune Caster and Blade Dancers teamed up to kill Thorgrim and a 4th, but the pummeled 5 Blade Dancers with their muskets.
    Rd 6: The 4th won initiative and used Wait and Fire to kill the Rune Caster, who lost all OMs. The Bluecoats moved forward and were able to take out the last Dancer camped in the startzone to end the game.
    Final Score: Seven 4th remained for a total of 124 points.

Final thoughts: A much better showing this time, still, I wonder if the Rune Caster can be tweaked slightly to make him and the Blade Dancers more enticing. Perhaps allow the shields on the three die roll to add to his defense against ranged attacks. Perhaps, remove any die of the three to allow bonding (not just blanks). I think the latter might be worthy of consideration.

Is the Rune Caster the official name or just a place-holder until we come up with one?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri May 29, 2015 7:40 pm

What about changing this slightly:

RUNE CASTING

SHAMAN BONDING
    After taking a turn with the Blade Dancers, you may remove a blank combat die from this card to take a turn with Rune Caster.

To:
    SHAMAN BONDING

This way, if you need to move up the Rune Caster, you can remove ANY combat die ... like a Skull or Blank (or even Shield) so that you can keep the Rune Caster up there.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:32 pm

Blade Dancers x4, Rune Caster, and Syvaris were pitted against Belochar, spiders, drow, Estivara, Wyveren, and Isamu.

We played the Rune Caster with the most recent change - removing any of the three die to bond with the Dancers.

It was easy to have the Caster keep up with the Dancers - he even got in a couple of attacks, but with the quick dancers, a road map, and poor strategy . . . the Rune Caster fell before he could make too much of a difference. The Varks were up against a melee army, so any extra shields didn't make too much of a difference.

Syvaris did the most damage early and often, then the rest of the Varks stormed out of the start zone to clean up the drow.

More playtesting needed, but I like what we have so far.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:59 pm

Derek gave the Rune Caster, the Blade Dancers, Rattlesnake Reed, and Quick Draw Hardin a whirl against Jacob. The Vark/cowboy army fell. Jacob didn't have any figures with range, so the Rune Caster was a forward charging bonder with the Blade Dancers. Derek thought the Caster was pretty cool and seems ready to move forward.

Final editing seems to be in order, but we need to come up with a name.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:39 am