Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

Corpse Tormentors, Brainstorming

Nomad

Corpse Tormentors, Brainstorming

Post  Nomad on Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:31 am

I have some ideas. But, I want to flesh them out a bit.

Character Name
    NWHC Wave ? – Wave Title - Pack Title

PDF DOWNLOAD, front
    PDF DOWNLOAD, back

Figure: The Adventurers, The Pyramid of Horus - Fantasy Flight Games

General: Vydar
    Planet: Feylund

Species: Undead
    Unique Squad
    Class: To be determined
    Personality: Loyal
    Medium 5

Life: 1
    Move: 4
    Range: 1
    Attack: ?
    Defense: ?
    ??? Points

SCREECH OF PAIN
    Coming soon . . .

Character Bio:
    Copy text here.

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- N/A

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered

-Figure Name: Power
    Plain Text

Synergy Benefits Received

Plain Text

Synergy Imposed

Plain Text

Last edited by Nomad on Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
    Lord Kai

Re: Corpse Tormentors, Brainstorming

Post  Lord Kai on Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:26 pm

Mummies!! Look awesome! Can't wait for some cool new powers.

Will they be a Unique Squad?
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:31 pm

Here we go for starters. I've put a lot of thought into these guys and I am pretty excited to play them. Points and defense are up in the air.

CORPSE TORMENTORS

Unique Squad
    Class: Mummy
    Personality: Tormenting
    Medium 5

Attack: 2
    Defense: 6
    100 Points

SCREECH OF AGONY
    All friendly Undead figures adjacent to a Corpse Tormentor add 1 die to their attack when attacking a figure within 3 spaces and 1 die to their defense when defending against a figure within 3 spaces.

CONTAGIOUS DESICCATION
    At the end of each round, you must roll the 20-sided die for each figure adjacent to a Corpse Tormentor. If you roll a 17 or higher, that figure receives 1 wound. Undead figures and Soulborgs are not affected by Contagious Desiccation.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:34 pm

Nomad wrote:Here we go for starters. I've put a lot of thought into these guys and I am pretty excited to play them. Points and defense are up in the air.

CORPSE TORMENTORS

SCREECH OF AGONY
    All friendly Undead figures adjacent to a Corpse Tormentor add 1 die to their attack when attacking a figure within 3 spaces and 1 die to their defense when defending against a figure within 3 spaces.

CONTAGIOUS DESICCATION
    At the end of each round, you must roll the 20-sided die for each figure adjacent to a Corpse Tormentor. If you roll a 17 or higher, that figure receives 1 wound. Undead figures and Soulborgs are not affected by Contagious Desiccation.

Screech of Agony is cool but the wording is a little confusing. It might be easier to make them +1 attack and +1 defense for being adjacent to the Tormentors. That +1 attack can be broken with ranged figures (like Marcus and the 10th Reg) but I think it is okay with Undead. I am trying to think of ranged Undead .. guess there are the new Tomb Skeleton Archers (who are terrible!) and our W4 Damien Evershade (archer hero).

Desiccation (great name btw!) is cool. I could see it like the Marrden Hound plague each turn. If it is only at the end of each round, it isn't very powerful so the d20 roll should be much lower like a 9+ (in my opinion).
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:47 am

Kai wrote:Screech of Agony is cool but the wording is a little confusing. It might be easier to make them +1 attack and +1 defense for being adjacent to the Tormentors. That +1 attack can be broken with ranged figures (like Marcus and the 10th Reg) but I think it is okay with Undead. I am trying to think of ranged Undead .. guess there are the new Tomb Skeleton Archers (who are terrible!) and our W4 Damien Evershade (archer hero).

I'm not quite sure I understand the confusing part. It is +1 attack and +1 defense for the Undead attacker/defender being adjacent to Tormentors. Marcus and 10th Reg can't get the bonus - they are not undead. Skeleton Archers and Evershade, both undead, only get the bonus if attacking a figure within 3 spaces (which I thought would be good to minimize the impact of ranged figures, now and for future figs). I am happy to revisit this with more clarification of the concern and reword as needed. The figures all have mouths agape - the screeching noise that limit ones ability to attack and defend seem fitting due to the piercing noise emitted from these mummies.

kai wrote:Desiccation (great name btw!) is cool. I could see it like the Marrden Hound plague each turn. If it is only at the end of each round, it isn't very powerful so the d20 roll should be much lower like a 9+ (in my opinion).

Yes - I'm thinking only at the end of the round at this point. It takes some time for the desiccation to take hold and suck the fluids out. The Crypt Guardians will add a +2 to the roll, so I didn't want to make the roll too low. I was basing the 20-sider on Kee-Mo-Shi's Toxic Skin power . . . I could see lowering to 15 or higher for now until play-tests prove otherwise.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:41 pm

Nomad wrote:
    Kai wrote:Screech of Agony is cool but the wording is a little confusing. It might be easier to make them +1 attack and +1 defense for being adjacent to the Tormentors. That +1 attack can be broken with ranged figures (like Marcus and the 10th Reg) but I think it is okay with Undead. I am trying to think of ranged Undead .. guess there are the new Tomb Skeleton Archers (who are terrible!) and our W4 Damien Evershade (archer hero).

I'm not quite sure I understand the confusing part. It is +1 attack and +1 defense for the Undead attacker/defender being adjacent to Tormentors. Marcus and 10th Reg can't get the bonus - they are not undead. Skeleton Archers and Evershade, both undead, only get the bonus if attacking a figure within 3 spaces (which I thought would be good to minimize the impact of ranged figures, now and for future figs). I am happy to revisit this with more clarification of the concern and reword as needed. The figures all have mouths agape - the screeching noise that limit ones ability to attack and defend seem fitting due to the piercing noise emitted from these mummies.

Sorry my words didn't communicate all of the thoughts in my head : P  

Let me try that again:

Screech of Agony is cool but the wording is a little confusing - with the limitation of attacking or defending within 3 spaces.  It might be easier to make them +1 attack and +1 defense for being adjacent to the Tormentors - like Grimnak's Orc Warrior enhancement.  A +1 attack can be broken with ranged figures (for example, how Marcus gives the 10th reg +1), but I think a +1 attack - even at range - for Undead is okay.  

In other words - I'm okay with a flat +1 attack and + 1 defense for any Undead without the 3 space restriction.

And these guys don't bond with Crypt Guardians, right? so setting up a Unique Squad to really maximum effect will be a challenge.

For Desiccation - Kee-Mo-Shi's Toxic Skin is "after attack" each turn, so just like Marrden Hounds. I'd be okay with that at 16+ as a starting point (and then Crypt Guardians could potentially bump it).

Do you see these Mummies as working with Sudema then?

Army Idea:
    Sudema ... 140
    Crypt Guards x4 ... 380
    Mummy Squad ... 480
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:43 pm

OK, I think I understand the concern a little better. Thanks for your input.

The reason I'm thinking not to give it +1 attack and defense without the space restriction is purely thematic. The mummies are doing their undead screech thing to the point that it debilitates their opponent and their ability to attack a defend . . . hmm, how about this? It might even get to the theme I was trying for better. It could hurt your own figures just as much.

SCREECH OF AGONY
    All figures within 3 spaces of a Corpse Tormentor subtract 1 die from their attack and 1 die to their defense. Undead figures and Soulborgs are not affected by Screech of Agony.

And with the Desiccation power, it can affect your own figures as well, unless undead or soulborg. We could make it after every turn they take, but I kind of like just at the end of a round for now. Lowering the roll to 15 or 16 for now sounds good.

CONTAGIOUS DESICCATION
    At the end of each round, you must roll the 20-sided die for each figure adjacent to a Corpse Tormentor. If you roll a 15 or higher, that figure receives 1 wound. Undead figures and Soulborgs are not affected by Contagious Desiccation.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:13 pm

Nomad wrote:OK, I think I understand the concern a little better. Thanks for your input.

SCREECH OF AGONY
    All figures within 3 spaces of a Corpse Tormentor subtract 1 die from their attack and 1 die to their defense. Undead figures and Soulborgs are not affected by Screech of Agony.

Okay, I like that even better now!!!
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:15 am

Pretty awesome here, and I do like these figures. Are you considering touching up the 1 to make it a bit more like the other 2, or leaving as is (we talked about this once a long time ago)? Thematically I never thought of Mummies and screeches, but it is kind of cool. "Howl of the Undead" "Haunting Howl"? When I first glanced at the name CONTAGIOUS DESICCATION I read Deficcation and thought oh brother! Laughing
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:34 pm

Derek S wrote:Pretty awesome here, and I do like these figures.  Are you considering touching up the 1 to make it a bit more like the other 2, or leaving as is (we talked about this once a long time ago)?  Thematically I never thought of Mummies and screeches, but it is kind of cool.  "Howl of the Undead"  "Haunting Howl"?  When I first glanced at the name CONTAGIOUS DESICCATION I read Deficcation and thought oh brother! Laughing

LOL!

Howl of the Undead sounds cool!
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:54 pm

I laughed as well.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:08 am

The screeching of the mummies actually came from a 1960's B movie. I am good with changing it to "Screech of the Undead"

I would prefer to leave that 3rd mummy as is.

How about this:

CORPSE TORMENTORS

Unique Squad
    Class: Mummy
    Personality: Tormenting
    Medium 5

Attack: 2
    Defense: 6
    100 Points

SCREECH OF THE UNDEAD
    All figures within 3 spaces of a Corpse Tormentor subtract 1 die from their attack and 1 die to their defense. Undead figures and Soulborgs are not affected by Screech of the Undead.

CONTAGIOUS DESICCATION
    At the end of each round, you must roll the 20-sided die for each figure adjacent to a Corpse Tormentor. If you roll a 15 or higher, that figure receives 1 wound. Undead figures and Soulborgs are not affected by Contagious Desiccation.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:21 pm

Even with 6 defense and reduction of attack/defense die these mummies might be a bit overpriced. They can hurt your own figures as well as opponents, and they are only a 3 person squad. I agree with leaving the 3rd figure alone. Neat so far.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:19 pm