Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

Hatamoto Jiro, brainstorming

Nomad

Hatamoto Jiro, brainstorming

Post  Nomad on Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:58 am

Hatamoto Jiro
    (Following Japanese naming conventions, Jiro means the second born son. Taro means eldest son. Hatamoto is the clan, which came from China originally. Nice internet history lesson for me).

NWHC Wave ? – Wave Title - Pack Title

PDF DOWNLOAD, front
    PDF DOWNLOAD, back

Figure: Pathfinders Battles, Iconic Heroes Set #6, Hayato, human samurai

General: Einar
    Planet: Earth

Species: Human
    Unique Hero
    Class: Samurai
    Personality: Disciplined
    Medium 5

Life: 4
    Move: 5
    Range: 1
    Attack: 3
    Defense: 3
    60 Points

COMBAT LEADER
    If at least one Order Marker is on Hatamoto Jiro, you may add 3 to your initiative roll.

AURA OF UMA-JIRUSHI
    All friendly unique Samurai with a Range of 1 within 3 clear sight spaces of Hatamoto Jiro add 1 to their attack and 1 to their defense dice.

CHARGING BANNER
    Hatamoto Jiro may add 1 to his Move number for each engaged Samurai you control up to a maximum of +3 for Charging Banner. If Hatamoto Jiro ends his movement engaged with an opponent's figure, add 2 to his attack value this turn.

Character Bio:
    Copy text here.

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- N/A

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered

-Figure Name: Power
    Plain Text

Synergy Benefits Received

Plain Text

Synergy Imposed

Plain Text

Last edited by Nomad on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:28 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : updated cards, stats, and powers)
    Nomad

Re: Hatamoto Jiro, brainstorming

Post  Nomad on Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:19 pm

OK, I will try something different . . . borrowing from the Einar Archer Commander discussion. Or, should we just play with the official but unreleased version of Hatamoto Taro and skip the first power. Thoughts?

Hatamoto Jiro

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

Life: 5
    Attack: 2
    Defense: 2
    50 Points

HEROIC DEFENSE AURA ENHANCEMENT
    Any figure you control with the Heroic Defense Aura special power may have that aura enhanced to include normal attacks from non-adjacent figures.

SAMURAI INSPIRATION
    If all Order Markers for a round are placed on Samurai Army Cards, and at least one Order Marker is placed on Hatamoto Jiro, then all Samurai with a Range of 1 you control (except Hatamoto Jiro) become inspired. Inspired Samurai add one to their Move number and add 1 extra attack die and defense die for the rest of the round.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:20 am

Nomad wrote:OK, I will try something different . . . borrowing from the Einar Archer Commander discussion. Or, should we just play with the official but unreleased version of Hatamoto Taro and skip the first power. Thoughts?

Hatamoto Jiro

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

Life: 5
    Attack: 2
    50 Points

HEROIC DEFENSE AURA ENHANCEMENT
    Any figure you control with the Heroic Defense Aura special power may have that aura enhanced to include normal attacks from non-adjacent figures.

SAMURAI INSPIRATION
    If all Order Markers for a round are placed on Samurai Army Cards, and at least one Order Marker is placed on Hatamoto Jiro, then all Samurai with a Range of 1 you control (except Hatamoto Jiro) become inspired. Inspired Samurai add one to their Move number and add 1 extra attack die and defense die for the rest of the round.

5 Life at 50 points seems high.

The Samurai Inspiration is the main reason to take Jiro. He's a mini-Spartacus so I wouldn't bother with Taro. You could make his Inspiration Aura a short range (like 4-6) to make him different than Spartacus.

As for Taro - I think we should just remake him - but I think you guys don't want to do a Competitive Unit Congress style custom. So maybe you make Jiro what we think Taro should have been for 130-points : )
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:48 pm

I am proposing that we (NWHC) officially adopt the official Hasbro Hatamoto Taro card and stats, instead of the one that was erroneously released. If we do, I will create the new front and back for the Taro official card. This will also change how I will proceed with Taro's brother.

Here are the official Hasbro stats for Taro:

Life 5
    Move 5
    Range 1
    Attack 1
    Defense 2
    100 points

INSPIRED DEFENSE AURA
    When defending with any Samurai or Ashigaru figures you control within 8 clear sight spaces of Hatamoto Taro, you may roll Einar Valkyrie dice. Each Einar symbol rolled counts as an additional shield. Inspired Defense Aura does not affect Hatamoto Taro.

ADJACENT TOUGH 1
    When rolling defense dice for Hatamoto Taro, if Hatamoto Taro is adjacent to at least one figure who follows Einar that you control, add one automatic shield to the defense roll.

Drops points to 100 from 130. Inspired defense also works against range and special attacks. Drops attack from 2 to 1.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:30 am

I am okay using that version of Hatamoto.

I'd also be okay modifying existing Heroscape figures, like the Competitive Congress did - but I don't think you two are in favor of that.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:48 pm

What do you think about making this figure into Hatamoto Taro 2.0 ? Sort of like Raelin RotV vs Raelin SotM?

Then you could really make him Hatamoto and since he'll have the same name he couldn't be in the same Army as the Classic Hatamoto? Then you (we) could really revise the character stats.

Thoughts?
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:55 pm

I love Hatamoto - the sculpt, and that he is an underdog.

I'm thinking since we are OK with using the official 100 point Hasbro design of Hatamoto Taro, then I would rather go in a different direction with Hatamoto Jiro. I like the option of boosting unique Samurai's a bit more, and boosting Taro a bit somehow.

Ideas are rolling through my head. I will capitalize on some of the ideas thrown out for the archer commander but not used.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:24 am

Brainstorming . . . OP updated with these stats, powers, and card.

Hatamoto Jiro

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

Attack: 4
    60 Points

COMBAT LEADER
    If at least one Order Marker is on Hatamoto Jiro, you may add 3 to your initiative roll.

AURA OF UMA-JIRUSHI (boosts Tagawa, Kozuki, Izumi, Taro, and Tomoe)
    All friendly unique Samurai with a Range of 1 within 3 clear sight spaces of Hatamoto Jiro add 1 to their attack and 1 to their defense dice.

ADJACENT TOUGH 1
    When rolling defense dice for Hatamoto Jiro, if Hatamoto Jiro is adjacent to at least one figure who follows Einar that you control, add one automatic shield to the defense roll.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:37 pm

Do you imagine Hatamoto Jiro as more of a cheerleader for his +3 initiative?  

The Samurai army always has challenges with OM management.  I think, without bonding, he is going to have a hard time keeping up with other Samurai to provide his Aura bonus.  What do you think about increasing the range of the Aura or adding some movement bonding power to keep him up with a squad?

Maybe a combo of Charging Assault (Kozuki) and Brother's Call (Orrick) = by dropping Adjacent Tough.

Attack: 3
    Defense: 3
    60 Points

COMBAT LEADER

AURA OF UMA-JIRUSHI (boosts Tagawa, Kozuki, Izumi, Taro, and Tomoe)

CHARGING BANNER
    Hatamoto Jiro may add 1 to his Move number for each engaged Samurai you control up to a maximum of +3 for Charging Banner.  If Hatamoto Jiro ends his movement engaged with an opponent's figure, add 2 to his attack value this turn.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:39 pm

I like your proposed changes. I will update the OP soon.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:09 pm

Nomad wrote:I like your proposed changes. I will update the OP soon.

YAY! I was super-happy with Charging Banner, so glad you like that one.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:09 pm

OP and card updated with Kai's suggestions. Play test?
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Nomad wrote:OP and card updated with Kai's suggestions. Play test?

Sounds good to me!

We could try him with:

Hatamoto Jiro ... 60
    Matsuko Kazumi ... 140
    Samurai Archers x3 ... 335
    Tagawa Samurai ... 455
    Izumi Samurai ... 515

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:13 pm