Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

W5 - Mariedian Unique Hero - ?

Lord Kai

W5 - Mariedian Unique Hero - ?

Post  Lord Kai on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:46 pm

Brainstorming ... too much like Zetacron ... but seems like forever since I designed a custom!!!  very rusty!

CAPTAIN STERLING

Figure: Heroclix, Avengers vs X-Men, Cable #101

General: AQUILLA
    Planet:

Species: Mariedian
    Unique Hero
    Class: Fighter
    Personality: Resolute
    Medium 5

Life: 4
    Move: 5
    Range: 6
    Attack: 2
    Defense: 3
    105 Points

BIONIC BRAWLER
    After attacking an adjacent figure or destructible object, Captain Sterling may attack one additional time.

DEADLY SHOT
    When attacking with Captain Sterling, all skulls rolled count for one additional hit.

TECHNO HATRED
    When attacking a Soulborg, Captain Sterling receives one additional attack die.

Lord Kai wrote:Thought this Heroclix "Cable" is a pretty cool mini.  I picked up 2 and he is nicely sculpted so perhaps a custom is in order.

Last edited by Lord Kai on Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:14 pm; edited 4 times in total
    Nomad

Re: W5 - Mariedian Unique Hero - ?

Post  Nomad on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:56 pm

Mariedian indeed.
    Freed from the soulborg process by the resistance fighters part way through the conversion process.
    I could see him having a bit more pop and staying power than your typical Mariedian . . . he is part soulborg after all.

Let the brainstorming begin.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:37 am

Updated OP.

Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:21 pm

Trying an idea for a weird power -- Cpt Sterling is a highly trained guerrilla tactics commander and he lays ambushes for unsuspecting players (and their figures):

CAPTAIN STERLING

Planet:

Unique Hero
    Personality: Tricky
    Medium 5

75 Points

DEADLY SHOT
    When attacking with Captain Sterling, all skulls rolled count for one additional hit.

IT'S A TRAP!
    After rolling initiative, add 1 Ambush marker to this Army Card for each opponent that rolled higher than you.  At any time before an opponent would reveal a numbered Order Marker, you may remove 3 Ambush markers to reveal your next numbered Order Marker and take your turn instead.  After taking your turn, play resumes back with the opponent that was interrupted.

TECHNO HATRED
    When attacking a Soulborg, Captain Sterling receives one additional attack die.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:44 pm

I like Deadly Shot and the Techno Hatred powers. Points and stats look good for starters.

It's a Trap! sounds interesting . . . I have a couple of suggestions. This would limit the power to once per round abd removes the necessity of markers, which prevents the stockpiling of those markers (at some point in the game, Sterling might end up with 6 or more markers and could take all three turns in a round before an opponent gets a chance).

GUERRILLA AMBUSH
    At any time before an opponent would reveal a numbered Order Marker, you may reveal your X Order Marker that is on Captain Sterling's Army Card and reveal your next numbered Order Marker if it is on a Mariedian Army Card to take your next turn instead. After taking this turn, the opponent that was interrupted resumes their turn.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:19 am

Nomad wrote:I like Deadly Shot and the Techno Hatred powers. Points and stats look good for starters.

It's a Trap! sounds interesting . . . I have a couple of suggestions. This would limit the power to once per round abd removes the necessity of markers, which prevents the stockpiling of those markers (at some point in the game, Sterling might end up with 6 or more markers and could take all three turns in a round before an opponent gets a chance).

GUERRILLA AMBUSH
    At any time before an opponent would reveal a numbered Order Marker, you may reveal your X Order Marker that is on Captain Sterling's Army Card and reveal your next numbered Order Marker if it is on a Mariedian Army Card to take your next turn instead. After taking this turn, the opponent that was interrupted resumes their turn.

Your version is much more powerful - a guarantee every round - where mine builds up over time if you are losing initiative. Interrupting the flow of an OM is pretty powerful so maybe it is a Once per Game thing like Everan Sunshadow's Fey Step.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:09 pm

Oops, I didn't read the part where you had to remove 3 ambush markers (I thought it was only 1). Yikes, in a two person game that would be once for every three rounds. My mistake. Once a game doesn't sound as fun.

Let's go back to the ambush markers . . . the only difference is the name of the power, a slight tweak in the wording, and that only a Mariedian can use the power.

GUERRILLA AMBUSH
    After rolling initiative, add 1 Ambush marker to this Army Card for each opponent that rolled higher than you. At any time before an opponent would reveal a numbered Order Marker, you may reveal 3 Ambush markers that is on Captain Sterling's Army Card and reveal your next numbered Order Marker if it is on a Mariedian Army Card to take your next turn instead. After taking this turn, the opponent that was interrupted resumes their turn.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:47 pm

Nomad wrote:Oops, I didn't read the part where you had to remove 3 ambush markers (I thought it was only 1). Yikes, in a two person game that would be once for every three rounds. My mistake. Once a game doesn't sound as fun.

Let's go back to the ambush markers . . . the only difference is the name of the power, a slight tweak in the wording, and that only a Mariedian can use the power.

GUERRILLA AMBUSH
    After rolling initiative, add 1 Ambush marker to this Army Card for each opponent that rolled higher than you. At any time before an opponent would reveal a numbered Order Marker, you may remove 3 Ambush markers that are on Captain Sterling's Army Card and reveal your next numbered Order Marker if it is on a Mariedian Army Card to take your next turn instead. After taking this turn, the opponent that was interrupted resumes their turn.

Limiting to Mariedians sounds perfect. Could be fun!
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:57 am

If you didn't want the Guerilla Ambush power to change in it's strength in multi-player games as much, you could go with

"After rolling initiative, add 1 Guerrilla Ambush marker to this Army Card if an opponent rolled higher than you....."

Still more likely to add a marker per round but not 3 per round as to 1 per round in a 2 player game. Also, do you think there should be a limit on the # of Ambush markers that could be added to the card? If you have Initiative roll modifiers (glyph or powers) do you count those or just the roll itself? If you are including modifiers, maybe go with

"After rolling for initiative, add 1 Guerrilla Ambush marker to this Army Card if you did not win initiative...."
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:09 pm

Derek S wrote:If you didn't want the Guerilla Ambush power to change in it's strength in multi-player games as much, you could go with

"After rolling initiative, add 1 Guerrilla Ambush marker to this Army Card if an opponent rolled higher than you....."

Still more likely to add a marker per round but not 3 per round as to 1 per round in a 2 player game.  Also, do you think there  should be a limit on the # of Ambush markers that could be added to the card?  If you have Initiative roll modifiers (glyph or powers) do you count those or just the roll itself?  If you are including modifiers, maybe go with

"After rolling for initiative, add 1 Guerrilla Ambush marker to this Army Card if you did not win initiative...."

This is a great idea! Thank you.

Still needs a playtest - lots of theory/concept right now.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Yes - good ideas.

Other Mariedian heroes are Kira Jax and Jarek Guy.

Maybe a name that fits in with the others: Kapta Jorn?
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:17 am

Love the name suggestion and the Guerrilla Ambush idea!  I am expecting heavy resistance from Heroscapers with the whole 'turn interruption' concept.  So, in anticipation of that - had this tweak to the Ambush power.

KAPTA JORN

Planet:

Unique Hero
    Personality: Tricky
    Medium 5

75 Points

DEADLY SHOT

GUERRILLA TACTICS
    After rolling initiative, add 1 Guerrilla Ambush marker to this Army Card if an opponent rolled higher than you.  At the beginning of a round, before initiative is rolled and order markers are placed, you may remove 3 Guerrilla Ambush markers to immediately take a turn with one Mariedian unit you control.

TECHNO HATRED
    When attacking a Soulborg, Kapta Jorn receives one additional attack die.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:19 pm

We got in a couple of play tests with Kapta Jorn yesterday. We changed the need to get three markers for Guerilla Tactics down to two. Perhaps dropping points to 70, but decided to keep him at 75 for now. Everything else seemed spot on.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:44 pm