Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

W2 Alpha Prime Enforcer - released

Lord Kai

Re: W2 Alpha Prime Enforcer - released

Post  Lord Kai on Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:15 pm

See comment in previous post but as I was thinking about The Enforcer again today I think Derek's comment is on the money - he's too perfect.

I think the most enjoyment from the figure/design has been dusting off Utgar's Guards and getting them into the action.  The Chainfighter and Dumetef are often just filler - and Marcu or Isamu see so much more play-time - so it's nice to see the Guards in the fight.

But .. even at 40-points, the Alpha-Prime Enforcer is probably too good to also have the ability to bond with the Utgar Soulborgs.  I could see limiting the Enforcer to only bonding with Utgar WARDENs - since the initial design was to help Mistress Isadora.

If we were going to have to choose just one power - based on play-tests though, I'd say the Enforcement Patrol with the Chainfighter and Dumetef is the most fun (and powerful).

I think this would limit Mistress Isadora's play time .. except in armies with the Zettian Infantry .. which is disappointing.

What do you think about having BOTH powers on the army card .. but a third power that has you choose at the start of the game which one you will use?  For example:

LIMITED PROGRAMMING
    At the start of the game, choose either Body Guard Detail and Enforcement Patrol Bonding.  The chosen special power is usable by all Alpha-Prime Enforcers you control for the remainder of the game and the other power is negated.

Current stats (also in OP):
    Spoiler:

Unit Name: Alpha-Prime Enforcer 4.5

General: Utgar
    Planet: Isadora (since he has some humanoid characteristics, I think it would be fitting to have him come from the same planet as Warden 816 and Mistress).

Species: Soulborg
    Type: Common Hero
    Class: Guard
    Personality: Fearless
    Size: Medium 5

Stats
    Life: 1
    Move: 5
    Range: 1
    Attack: 3
    Defense: 5

Special Powers
    BODYGUARD DETAIL (#2)
    After revealing an order marker on a unique Guard squad, or unique Deathwalker or Warden hero you control that follows Utgar, after taking a turn with that unit, you may take a turn with two Alpha-Prime Enforcers you control.

ENFORCEMENT PATROL BONDING
    After revealing an order marker on an Alpha-Prime Enforcer, before taking a turn with one Alpha-Prime Enforcer, you may take a turn with 2 other common Guard heroes you control that follow Utgar.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:27 pm

Perfect solution!
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:05 pm

One thought I had was keeping the Bodyguard detail for this figure and then having the enforcement patrol bonding (basically a 3 guard activation) on a hero. Would be a little bit like Kurrok, but this would still allow for both powers to be in the same game (which I would really like to see). I am certain we could find a perfect looking figure for this role. I hope to playtest these guys later today, but I might hold off until changes are made. I am rebasing the Davion Guards at the moment so they could get a look instead.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:30 pm

I think my previous post might have been unclear, I really like the 3rd power and choosing between the powers and think that is a great option. If we don't want to go with something heroscape hasn't seen, another option would be to have the Alpha prime Enforcer keep their base stats with points at 25 and have special power be

Planet: Isadora (since he has some humanoid characteristics, I think it would be fitting to have him come from the same planet as Warden 816 and Mistress).

Stats

Special Powers
    BODYGUARD DETAIL (#2)
    After revealing an order marker on a unique Guard squad, or unique Deathwalker or Warden hero you control that follows Utgar, after taking a turn with that unit, you may take a turn with two Alpha-Prime Enforcers you control.

Then have a hero with a power somewhat worded like this (and maybe more if needed)
    Planet: Isadora
    Type:Unique Hero
    Class: Warden (or something
    Personality: Controlling
    Size: ?

Stats
    Life: ?
    Attack: ?
    Defense: ?

ENFORCEMENT PATROL BONDING
    After revealing an order marker on an Alpha-Prime Enforcer this hero, before taking a turn with one Alpha-Prime Enforcer, you may instead take a turn with 2 3 other common Guard heroes you control that follow Utgar.

Intimidation (or compliancy)
    All guard figures that you control that attack a figure within ? spaces of chosen hero roll 1 additional attack die
    (I am sure we could do better here)
    You could have this hero be relatively weak, surprisingly strong, really strong... provide bonuses to guards or other figures that might be seen in the army, or any other possibilities.

This would allow both powers to be on the battlefield at the same time (which I really like), keep the Enforcer at a 25 point filler while helping Warden and Deathwalker figures, and allow the hero to bear the burden of cost depending on how it turns out. If not I really do enjoy like your proposed 3rd power.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:51 am

Yeah, it would certainly be in line with the Heroscape Classic figures to have a 'commander' like Kato to lead the Guards of Utgar. That figure isn't the Enforcer (he's certainly one of the common hero guards).

I wish I could find a good Guard Commander to fill the role. I've searched but haven't been inspired yet.

The Guard Commander is probably about 100 points (like Zaiken). If he's not a Warden, then the Enforcers could keep their Bodyguard Detail without any Bonding loops.

I'll keep up the search for such a figure.

In the meantime, give them a play-test and see what you think. I sort of like the "Limited Programming" power - because it is something new & different .. but I don't want to create totally broken figures either : P

Derek S

Post  Derek S on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:55 pm

The Book of Alpha-Prime Enforcer

NWHC WAVE 2-

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered
    - Alpha-Prime Enforcer: Enforcement Patrol Bonding

Common Guard Heroes that follow Utgar may be activated with Alpha-Prime Enforcer’s ENFORCEMENT PATROL BONDING.  Common Guard Heroes that follow Utgar include: Drow Chain Fighter, Dumutef Guards, Alpha-Prime Enforcer.

Synergy Benefits Received
    - ZETTIAN INFANTRY : Utgar Soulborg Bonding

As a Soulborg hero who follows Utgar, an Alpha-Prime Enforcer may benefit from Zettian Infantry's UTGAR SOULBORG BONDING.
    - ZETTIAN INFANTRY : Circuitry Replacement
    As a Soulborg hero who follows Utgar, an Alpha-Prime Enforcer may benefit from Zettian Infantry's CIRCUITRY REPLACEMENT.
    -Deathcommander Mark 3: Marked For Destruction
    Being a Soulborg that follows Utgar, an Alpha-Prime Enforcer may utilize Deathcommander Mark 3’s MARKED FOR DESTRUCTION attack die re-roll power.
    -Torin: Evil Eye Protection
    As a Medium figure that follows Utgar, an Alpha-Prime Enforcer may benefit from Torin's Evil Eye Protection defensive ability.
    -Alpha Prime Enforcer: Bodyguard Detail
    After revealing an order marker on and taking a turn with a unique Guard squad, or unique Deathwalker or Warden hero you control that follows Utgar, 2 Alpha-Prime Enforcers may take a turn.  Unique Guard Squads that follow Utgar include: Zettian Guards.  Unique Deathwalker Heroes that follow Utgar  include: DeathWalker 7000, DeathWalker 8000, DeathWalker 9000.  Unique Warden Heroes that follow Utgar include: Warden 816, Mistress Isadora.

Synergy Imposed
    -

Last edited by Derek S on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:33 pm

Alpha Prime Enforcer: Bodyguard Detail
    After revealing an order marker on and taking a turn with a unique Guard squad, or unique Deathwalker or Warden hero you control that follows Utgar, 2 Alpha-Prime Enforcers may take a turn. Unique Guard Squads that follow Utgar include: Zettian Guards. Unique Deathwalker Heroes that follow Utgar include: DeathWalker 7000, DeathWalker 8000, DeathWalker 9000. Unique Warden Heroes that follow Utgar include: Warden 816

Mistress Isadora is also a Warden.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:19 pm

Other Soulborg "commander" ideas:

Heroclix Brainiac "icons"
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:25 am

Not a bad looking figure but I think we could do better. Mistress as a Warden in the books is fixed. Thanks Kai.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:12 pm

Here is another one:

GEARS OF WAR HEROCLIX GENERAL RAAM 009

Derek S

Post  Derek S on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:23 pm

that looks pretty darn good. Kai, do you have these figures?
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:59 pm

Kai, do you have these figures?

I have this one.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:25 pm

Okay, I am going to order qty. 2 of General Raam from Gears of War Heroclix. He's about $5. We'll see if he fits the "commander" role for the UTGAR guards. I'll work up some stats for him in a separate thread.

He's available at Coolstuff. They have high shipping costs so he'll be here in 7-10 business days.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/127346

I will work on updating The Enforcer to have play-test stats with just "Bodyguard Detail" so that they can fit the original design to bond with Utgar Soulborgs only - like the Wardens and Deathwalkers. The General Raam figure will have the Enforcement Patrol bonding option (and cost between 80-100 points depending on his other power/stats). I will post a new thread for that once I have stats.

Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:52 pm

Suggestion for modified Enforcer:

Unit Name: Alpha-Prime Enforcer 5.0

Stats

Special Powers
    BODYGUARD DETAIL

POWER-AXE
    When an Alpha-Prime Enforcer attacks a figure that has a Special Attack, add 1 attack die.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:04 pm

Found this interesting synergy today ...

Deathwalker 9000 "Range Enhancement"
    Any Soulborg Guards adjacent to Deathwalker 9000 add 2 spaces to their range.

http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgallery/albums/userpics/10007/dw9k.jpg

This would mean that Alpha-Prime Enforcers become Range 3 if they are adjacent to DW9000. Is that good or bad?!
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:11 pm

With a range of 1 it is a bit odd.  Maybe it could work thematically as throwing an axe.  So either we could go with a magic axe that regenerates back into their hand which could be addressed in the bio- we could give them base range of 3 with this idea, or just live with a thematic break (not in favor of this), or figure out a way to nix the synergy.

I am sending the other two goblin figurines with Damon for you when you guys see each other again.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:40 pm

Damon and I were thinking this might be the best solution:

POWER-AXE
    When an Alpha-Prime Enforcer attacks a figure that has a Special Attack, add 1 attack die. An Alpha-Prime Enforcer may never have it's range modified.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:36 pm

Yep - a simple clause will prevent the additional range from DW9000.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:22 am

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Alpha-Prime Enforcer, using the stats dated April 5. We did not allow for DW9000 to add 2 to their range.

THEME TEST: Are there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that do not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character should be able to do? Also consider whether or not this character's powers should affect destructible objects. PASS.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play? PASS.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying? PASS.

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable? PASS.

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game? PASS. The Enforcers really aid to the Deathwalkers and Wardens by provided a bit of a screen.

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately? PASS.

SYNERGIES TEST: Think of all the current cards that would have synergy with the unit card. Are there any factors that could break the game by making a unit too powerful or too weak? PASS. We were not in favor of adding two to the Enforcers range when adjacent to Deathwalker 9000, so we played without it and opted for the previously worded Power Axe special power.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be overamplified and break the game? PASS.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting? PASS. Going with a few Enforcers in an Utgar Soulborg army is a must.

MIRROR TEST: Consider the test unit against itself. Are there any loops that would upset the balance of the Game? PASS.

ARMY TEST 1

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary. [insert pass/fail, point value, and brief summary] PASS. 25 points seemed good. With a defense of 5, the Enforcers have some staying power.

Units: I played the Enforcer army, Kai played their opponent in each of the four battles.

Battle 1 on Derek’s custom map (BftU, TTx2):
    Army 1 (Damon): Doggin Trackers, Dund, Arktos, Greyspears, Swiftfangs = 505 points.
    VS
    Army 2 (Derek): Enforcers x4, DW9000, Zettian Guards, Mistress Isadora, Warden 816 = 510 points

Battle 2 on Derek’s custom map “Walk in the Park” (RotV, TJx2):
    Army 1 (Damon): Doggin Trackers, Dund, Arktos, Greyspears, Swiftfangs = 505 points.
    VS
    Army 2 (Derek): Enforcers x3, DW9000, Zettian Guards, DW8000, Warden 816 = 505 points

Battle 3 on Derek’s custom map “Walk in the Park” (RotV, TJx2):
    Army 1 (Damon): Army 1 (Damon): Doggin Trackers, Dund, Arktos, Greyspears, Swiftfangs = 505 points.
    VS
    Army 2 (Sydney/Derek): Enforcers x3, DW9000, Zettian Guards, DW8000, Warden 816 = 505 points

Battle #1: I really thought the Varkanaan Hunters and Trackers would roll in this match-up. DW9000 played well, the Zettian Guards played well, and the hunters were over-ranged. Mistress received one OM. The Enforcers were quite successful in keeping the wolfpack from getting close to the wardens, DW9000, and Zettian Guards until it was too late. Utgar’s soulborgs won with 370 points remaining in a wipe-out.

Battle #2: Since Mistress couldn’t but large figures in prison, she was dropped from the army along with an enforcer for DW8000. Early on it looked like Utgar would roll, but the wolves were able to penetrate the high defensive rolls when Derek couldn’t get much luck on the defense rolls. Derek lost a couple of OMs due to kills and the Trackers proved victorious. With one-life Arktos, 2-life Dund, 1 Greyspear, and 1 Tracker remaining, Damon had 140 points remaining.

Battle #3: Sydney pushed out the Enforcers a little too far, going after glyphs. The Enforcers stayed around for a while, but did have that great of an impact on the game. This was a close battle, but Damon came out on top with 101 points left in a 1-life Arktos and 3 Greyspears.

Final thoughts: The Enforcers seem perfect at 25 points and greatly boost the staying power and effectiveness of the Deathwalkers and Zettians. One must not get too over-ambitious with them or they lose their ability to screen. We feel that the Enforcer is ready for final editing.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:53 pm

Here is the full text from DW9000's card:

Range Enhancement
    Any Soulborg Guards you control with a Range number of 4 or more that are adjacent to Deathwalker add 2 spaces to their Range.

Since the Enforcer has a range of less than 4, it won't affect him. I'm not sure if my earlier thoughts on the subject were noticed, but they can be disregarded at this point.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:16 pm

First attempt at Enforcer card. Feedback is welcomed.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:26 am

Nomad wrote:Here is the full text from DW9000's card:

Range Enhancement
    Any Soulborg Guards you control with a Range number of 4 or more that are adjacent to Deathwalker add 2 spaces to their Range.

Since the Enforcer has a range of less than 4, it won't affect him. I'm not sure if my earlier thoughts on the subject were noticed, but they can be disregarded at this point.

Weird, I am looking at this card on Heroscapers.com and it doesn't have the Range 4. I'm happy though that it won't cause issues here.

Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:26 am

Card looks GREAT! Love the picture that you used!!! Looks menacing!
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:30 pm

Kai wrote:Weird, I am looking at this card on Heroscapers.com and it doesn't have the Range 4. I'm happy though that it won't cause issues here.

I got my wording off of Battleplan for Heroscape, here is what it states:

Range Enhancement

I looked at my own DW9000 card, and that whole Range number of 4 or more isn't on the card.

Looks like Battleplan is wrong!

Kai,

Would you mind if we changed the Enforcer's Power Axe to read as follows?

POWER-AXE
    When an Alpha-Prime Enforcer attacks a figure that has a Special Attack, add 1 attack die. An Alpha-Prime Enforcer may never have it's Range modified.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:46 am

Nomad wrote:

Kai,

Would you mind if we changed the Enforcer's Power Axe to read as follows?

POWER-AXE
    When an Alpha-Prime Enforcer attacks a figure that has a Special Attack, add 1 attack die. An Alpha-Prime Enforcer may never have it's Range modified.

Sure, I am okay with that ... though it is pretty rare that Old Deathwalker 9000 makes it out onto the battlefield : )

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:25 am