Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

4 posters

Troll Champion - for large expansion

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Troll Champion - for large expansion Empty Troll Champion - for large expansion

Post  Lord Kai Thu May 30, 2013 5:57 am

Figures: Pathfinder, Shattered Star
    Name: Troll Champion

HEROSCAPE CUSTOM STATS

Unit Name: Malcor

General: Utgar
    Species: Troll
    Type: Unique Hero
    Class: Champion
    Personality: Beast
    Size: Huge 10
    Stats
    Life:    8
    Move:    6
    Range:   1
    Attack:  6
    Defense: 3

Special Powers

RAMPAGE
    Before moving, if Malcor is engaged, roll the 20-side die once for each figure engaging Malcor.  Add the difference in Size between Malcor and the chosen figure to your roll.  If you roll a 15 or higher, the chosen figure receives 1 wound.

CHAMPION OF UTGAR
    Malcor rolls an additional die when attacking or defending against a Common figure.  If Malcor destroys a Unique Hero add a Copper experience marker to this card.  Malcor adds an additional die when attacking a Unique hero for each experience marker on his card.

RELENTLESS REGENERATION
    After taking a turn with any Troll that you control, you may remove 1 wound marker from Malcor.  After rolling initiative, you may reveal an X order marker on Malcor to remove 1 wound marker from any Troll you control (including Malcor).

Troll Champion - for large expansion WZK7089-36_500

Last edited by Lord Kai on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:25 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Dropped Life from 10 to 8.)
    Derek S
    Derek S

Troll Champion - for large expansion Empty Re: Troll Champion - for large expansion

Post  Derek S Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:00 am

Is the figure as cool in real life as it looks here? I really like the hammer and spike- makes me think he should be good at taking out destructible objects- a "Hammer and Spike" power.

The idea of a leaving engagement strike is interesting. Poor spiders, goblins,etc, where a 4 or 5 or higher on the 20-sider could completely destroy up to 6 characters before he moves. Maybe a "Hammer Swing" power where he attacks all figures adjacent with 4 (or so many) dice and then moves (and has to move at least ? space(s)- but can't attack-) if he don't destroy 'em than he takes leaving engagement(s)- a risk/reward power.

Haven't really formed to much thought about Utgars Champion yet, will when I do.

Do trolls often work together or benefit each other? I have never really thought they did (I am pretty uninformed on this however) so it seems odd to benefit from another troll taking a turn- I really don't know.

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Troll Champion - for large expansion Empty Re: Troll Champion - for large expansion

Post  Lord Kai Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:44 am

Yes, the mini is AWESOME!

Here's a size comparison.

Troll Champion - for large expansion TrollchampionandJotun
    Nomad
    Nomad

Troll Champion - for large expansion Empty Nice pic

Post  Nomad Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:15 am

Jotun v. Malcor - epic!

Most figures are height of 5, which would mean you would only need to roll an 8 or higher to give a wound - killing melee squad figures instantly if they started engaged?

I'm not so sure about the Champion of Utgar power.

I like the last power and the synergy with trolls, but I will have to give it more thought.

Nice start.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:45 pm

Yeah, Rampage is a little powerful.  Maybe it is limited to just one figure engaged with Malcor, Troll Champion.

And the Utgar's Champion power needs some work.  I'm getting a bit "happy" with the adding markers ; )

But the mini is awesome and deserves to be on the battlefield.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Does the idea of sending the troll in to bust the castle door with his hammer and spike appeal to anyone else like it does me?  Seems very thematic to me.  And I have got to round me up one of these bad boys.  Looks like it will be a fun character.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:21 am

After some research, it appears that Malcor should only be Size 10 (matches Jotun and Wo-Sa-Ga).
    Nomad
    Nomad

Troll Champion - for large expansion Empty destructable objects

Post  Nomad Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:39 am

Yes - I like the idea of crushing the door, etc. "When attacking destructible objects no defensive dice are rolled." ???

Height of 10 gives a little more chance for melee figures starting engaged.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:39 am

Revision:

Unit Name: Malcor

General: Utgar
    Species: Troll
    Type: Unique Hero
    Class: Champion
    Personality: Beast
    Size: Huge 10
    Stats
    Life:    8
    Move:    6
    Range:   1
    Attack:  6
    Defense: 3

Special Powers

RAMPAGE 15
    Before moving, choose one figure engaged with Malcor and roll the 20-side die.  Add the difference in Size between Malcor and the chosen figure to your roll.  If you roll a 15 or higher, the chosen figure receives 1 wound. 

CRIPPLING STRIKE SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range: 1 Attack: 5
    When Malcor inflicts a wound with Crippling Strike, place one black wound maker on the defender's army card instead of a red wound marker.  Place additional wounds as normal.  Heroes reduce their Move and Attack values by 1 for each black wound marker .  Any effect which would remove a wound marker may remove a black wound marker.

RELENTLESS REGENERATION
    After taking a turn with any Troll that you control, you may remove 1 wound marker from Malcor.  After rolling initiative, you may reveal an X order marker on Malcor to remove 1 wound marker from all Trolls you control (including Malcor).
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:44 pm

Derek wrote:Does the idea of sending the troll in to bust the castle door with his hammer and spike appeal to anyone else like it does me? Seems very thematic to me.
    Damon wrote:
    Yes - I like the idea of crushing the door, etc. "When attacking destructible objects no defensive dice are rolled." ???

Any thoughts here Kai? Are you happy with where he is at and don't want to consider this/(these) option, or has this idea not been seen?

Kind of a bump here 'cus I really like this guy. I could see replacing Crippling strike s.a. with something of the sorts. I also really liked your original write up for Rampage. Maybe a combo of that and your revision.

Outta my way

Malcor must move at least one space to use Outta my Way. Before moving roll the 20-sided die once for each adjacent figure to Malcor. Add the difference in size between Malcor and the chosen figure. If Malcor rolls a 15 or higher, the figure receives 1 wound.

Potentially he could harm his own guys- troll like in an unthinking/raging manner. The big hammer is represented here. And there is some risk to it if he doesn't clear the board to move at least 1 space- leaving engagements become more likely. Just some brainstorming.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:22 am

I absolutely love this figure's sculpt, so I'd like to see him (it) have a custom card.

If someone wants to take over the design, I'm cool with that ... as I have a lot of concepts in the works at the moment.

Peace,
    *Kai
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:41 pm

Toogwick_tuk, you have this awesome figure on SoV.  Would you like to include this in the NW Customs?  We could add it to the playtest list?  Derek and I both own this figure.

We had some ideas floating around for this Troll Champion but I like your design as well.

Troll Champion - for large expansion GRUOARK_zpsad8db856
    Toogwick_tuk
    Toogwick_tuk

Post  Toogwick_tuk Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:49 pm

Sure thing. I tested him out a lot against more competitive army builds. He only really needs testing for Dungeon Crawls and to a lesser extent heroes only.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:45 pm

Looking forward to seeing this guy. I would still like to see the auto skulls against destructible objects (maybe instead of Troll Leadership) if you are willing to look at some potential changes. The big hammer and spike scream some sort of power like that to me.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:12 am

BUMP

I know this figure is growing long in the tooth concerning our customs. Let's still keep him in mind. I think we all have this figure - let's get him developed!
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:22 am

I love this figure, so I would certainly like to see him join our custom ranks!!! I think we need more Big and Menacing monster types : )

Do we go back to decide who is going to work on the design?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:33 am

Every time I see him on my shelf I get spooked and wish he was getting some playing time.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am