Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W2 Anubian Alpha - released

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W2 Anubian Alpha - released - Page 2 Empty Re: W2 Anubian Alpha - released

Post  Lord Kai Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:28 pm

Nomad wrote:Just so I understand . . . I pick a Anubian wolf squad figure and place it on the Alpha's card. That Anubian squad figure is essentially out of the game, but grants his power to the Alpha once it gets into the battle. So, you are giving up 33.3 points of squad and paying an extra 25 points for this figure - so, essentially he is about a 60 point figure. If that is correct, this is an ingenious idea!
    Yep! You've got it! That's why he's only 25 points because with an Anubian Wolf or Wolf of Badru on the army card he's about a 60-65 point investment.

I *totally* need help on the wording!!
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Really "cool" idea here. If I have 3 Anubian Alphas can I activate all3 instead of any badru or Anubian wolves or is it limited to 1 alpha per squad activation?

I could almost see them gaining entry to the battlefield by replacing a destroyed figure with the alpha, that way your squaddie doesn't have to restart in the start zone- it would help in the endgame.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:40 pm

Derek S wrote:Really "cool" idea here.  If I have 3 Anubian Alphas can I activate all3 instead of any badru or Anubian wolves or is it limited to 1 alpha per squad activation?

I could almost see them gaining entry to the battlefield by replacing a destroyed figure with the alpha, that way your squaddie doesn't have to restart in the start zone- it would help in the endgame.
    Good questions.

Yeah, I'll have to work on the wording of Pack Alpha to have it only be 1 Anubian Alpha and not multiples. Good clarification.

Replacing a Destroyed figure is a good ideas as well. I was debating having it be "before attacking" instead ... but I thought that created issues on timing. After destroyed is certainly an option but I wanted to have more flexibility for the controlling player .. so you can sort of have a Sneak Attack of where the Alpha pops up.

This one will need some Wording and Playtesting to determine which is more optimal.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:53 pm

Trying some new wording and bumping up the points ... and taking a suggestion from Derek for the shapeshift when destroyed.  I think it works really, really well.

HEROSCAPE CUSTOM STATS

Unit Name: Anubian Alpha

General: Utgar
    Species: Hybrid
    Type: Uncommon Hero
    Class: Hunter
    Personality: Tormented
    Size: Medium 5

Stats
    Life:        4
    Move:     6
    Range:    1
    Attack:    4
    Defense:  4

Special Powers
    INFECTED HOST
    Anubian Alphas do not begin the game on the battlefield.  They must be placed on the battlefield using the Shapeshift special power.  

SHAPESHIFT
    After a common small or medium Wolf you control is destroyed by an opponent, you may place that Wolf on this army card.  For this game the chosen Wolf figure is the Host for this Anubian Alpha.  Place this Anubian Alpha on the space the Host figure previously occupied.  This Anubian Alpha may use the Special Powers of the Host Wolf figure as if they were that unit.

ALPHA WOLF BONDING
    After revealing an order marker on the Host figure's army card, before taking a turn with that squad, you may first take a turn with one Anubian Alpha you control.

Last edited by Lord Kai on Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:23 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : changed Wolf Pack bonding to Alpha Wolf Bonding)
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:42 pm

I really like this!

I'm only worried about the similarity between Wolf Pack Bonding and the Varkanaan's Wolf Pack special power names. I can't think of a better name off the top of my head and I'm not sure it matters.

As a stand alone 40-point figure, the alpha is pretty good. But, he can't be a stand alone . . . you have to go with Anubians or Badrus as well - and they could use the bump.

Nicely done. Can we start play testing?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:11 pm

Nomad wrote:I really like this!

I'm only worried about the similarity between Wolf Pack Bonding and the Varkanaan's Wolf Pack special power names. I can't think of a better name off the top of my head and I'm not sure it matters.

As a stand alone 40-point figure, the alpha is pretty good. But, he can't be a stand alone . . . you have to go with Anubians or Badrus as well - and they could use the bump.

Nicely done. Can we start play testing?
    DOH!

Alright I will change the Bonding name .. and yes, we can start playtesting : P
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:35 pm

While I really like what is happening here I really am not fond of the exclusivity of the armies the Anubian can be played with. Only small or medium wolfs? I would prefer that you could use them with anybody but could only use the powers of the card of a small or medium wolf if they replace them. They also get to replace Khosumet and his powers as well- does that change anything in their estimated point cost so far?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:42 am

Derek S wrote:While I really like what is happening here I really am not fond of the exclusivity of the armies the Anubian can be played with.  Only small or medium wolfs?  I would prefer that you could use them with anybody but could only use the powers of the card of a small or medium wolf if they replace them.  They also get to replace Khosumet and his powers as well- does that change anything in their estimated point cost so far?
    They can only replace Common Wolves .. so no Khosumet.

I thought about other Wolf squaddies but that would involve the Varkaanan ("wolfen") from C3V. Do you think that would be too powerful?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:19 am

duh to me on Khosumet, I kinda missed the common part. I was thinking they could replace any figure, but only get to use the powers of a small or medium common wolf. That way they could potentially be filler for any army and not so exclusive to the army used (probably wouldn't get used much outside of a wolf army anyways so I am not so sure it matters anyways.)
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:25 pm

ALPHA WOLF BONDING
    After revealing an order marker on the Host figure's army card, before taking a turn with that squad, you may first take a turn with one Anubian Alpha you control.

There is a weird bonding option with Wolves of Badru. As written you could reveal an OM on the 'Badru - take a turn with the Anubian Alpha - and then a Darklord with that Bonding. Probably a little much.

I'll work on a tweak.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:40 pm

I didn't catch that at all . . . and probably wouldn't until play testing.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Can we change the thread title to "Anubian Alpha - Brainstorming"?

It would be easier to find . . .
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:02 am

Updating the Bonding power to avoid a multiple bonding with the Wolves of Badru:

HEROSCAPE CUSTOM STATS

Stats
    Life:        4
    Attack:    3 (reducing to 3)
    Defense:  4

Special Powers
    INFECTED HOST
    Anubian Alphas do not begin the game on the battlefield.  They must be placed on the battlefield using the Shapeshift special power.  

SHAPESHIFT
    After a common small or medium Wolf you control is destroyed by an opponent, you may place that Wolf on this army card.  For this game the chosen Wolf figure is the Host for this Anubian Alpha.  Place this Anubian Alpha on the space the Host figure previously occupied.  This Anubian Alpha may use the Special Powers of the Host Wolf figure as if they were that unit.

PACK ALPHA
    Instead of taking a turn with a full squad of this Anubian Alpha's Host, you may activate, move, and attack with this Anubian Alpha as one member of that squad.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:27 pm

This unit does need play-testing for sure. Updated "bonding language" above.

Concerns - with Anubian Wolf Host:
    I'm guessing, on average a roll of 12, the Unleash Fury power could add +3 attack - giving this figure an attack of 6. That's pretty high for roughly 75 point hero.

Concerns - with Wolf of Badru:
    Pounce, if unsuccessful, will destroy a Wolf of Badru. The Alpha will have this power so not a big deal. I updated the Shapeshift power so that you could only replace a Wolf with an Alpha when your wolf is destroyed by an opponent (so can't trigger if Pounce fails).

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:45 am

ARMY CONCEPT - BADRU, option 1

Werewolf Lord ... 140
    Wolves of Badru x3 ... 380
    Anubian Alpha x3 ... 500

ARMY CONCEPT - BADRU option 2

Werewolf Lord x2 ... 280
    Wolves of Badru x2 ... 440
    Anubian Alpha x2 ... 520

Trying to squeeze two WWL's in pushes this army over the 500 point range.

==

ARMY CONCEPT - ANUBIANS

Anubian Wolves x4 ... 300
    Wolves of Badru x3 ... 420
    Khosumet ... 495

Fairly vicious melee army ... all with 6 Move, and no chance to blow up from Unleashing Fury. Could go with x3 Anubian Wolf squad and x2 Alphas with 120 points remaining for some diversity (like Kaemon Awa for Ranged Special attack or Krav Maga, or potential Raelin RotV + a third Alpha).

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:58 pm

While Jason was visiting (poe24) we did a few playtests with the Anubian Alpha with a Werewolf Lord and Anubian Wolves.

We tried the 4-Life, 40-point Alpha and they were pretty tough. Since the Alpha gets swapped in with a 'wolf that is being destroyed that transformation is much like a Mezzodemon using an exo marker to stay alive. And if the host wolf is destroyed in melee - then the Alpha basically rises back up in its place keeping the opponent engaged.

Jason thought that the 4-Life hero was too powerful, so we tried it as a 1-Life Common Hero. The Common Hero went down fast (1-Life, 4-Defense) but seemed more balanced.

The playtest was fun, so maybe there is value in this custom as an add to 'wolf factions, just need to find the right balance of points.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:56 pm

what powers were you using? Are you thinking of any changes other than points? 4 life 4 defense is pretty good for 40 point common squad (albeit another so many points for the original figure). I am pretty close to giving these guys a playtest so what to be sure where you are at.

I like the common hero direction personally, as long as the name changes from Anubian Wolf, otherwise I would prefer points upped, or a 20-sided roll was needed for them to gain entry to the battle field when a common wolf (or a unique werewolf) killed a figure and you could place them on the destroyed figures space (symbolic of the werewolf bite)?.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:45 pm

Yeah, the point cost is a little off .. depending on Unique versus Common Hero options.  I think that I would prefer Uncommon Hero for a little more staying power.  They are very powerful with the Anubian Wolves as the "Host" ... and they give a Hybrid option for the Werewolf Lord in Badru armies.

Here's a suggested update to the stats:

HEROSCAPE CUSTOM STATS

Stats
    Life:       3
    Attack:    3
    Defense:  3

Special Powers
    INFECTED HOST

SHAPESHIFT

PACK ALPHA
    Instead of taking a turn with a full squad of this Anubian Alpha's Host, you may activate, move, and attack with this Anubian Alpha as one member of that squad.

Edit:  Dropped the Life from 4 to 3, reduced Defense from 4 to 3.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:52 pm

Thanks for the update. I will try to get a playtest in soon. I think these are close.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:25 pm

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Anubian Alphas

THEME TEST: Are there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that do not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character should be able to do? Also consider whether or not this character's powers should affect destructible objects. PASS.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play? PASS – super fun! The Anubian Wolves with Alphas were dominant.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying? FAIL. The A+ team was very annoyed with killing a wolf, only to have a powerful Alpha infect the dead corpse.

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable? PASS. All 4 Anubian Alphas made it into the battle. One died immediately, but the other three were extremely strong. Here were their attacks: 5/8, 2/7, 3/7, 7/11, 2/11, 5/7, 3/5, and 5/7 to kill eight of the nine Stingers. A 4/6 attack on Q-9 earned three wounds. A 2/4 on Isamu killed him when Vanish failed. Every single attack by the Anubian Alphas either killed a figure or earned wounds on the defender.

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game? PASS. There are some decision points as to whether or not to replace a dead wolf if the spot on the map is not advantageous or in peril from more attacks. Other than that – charge with the Anubians and continue being relentless.

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately? QUESTION. So, even though the figures are Uncommon, I can take a turn with 2 or 3 Alphas as in one turn for the Anubian Wolves? I had three Alphas on the board at one time and was able to make quick work of Stingers by taking a turn with 2 or 3 Alphas on one OM. These figures also bond with the Wolves of Badru. So, I could take a turn with one Alpha as a bonding figure and then go with a full squad of the Badru?

SYNERGIES TEST: Think of all the current cards that would have synergy with the unit card. Are there any factors that could break the game by making a unit too powerful or too weak? INCONCLUSIVE. More play tests are needed to determine if they are too powerful as written.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be overamplified and break the game? INCONCLUSIVE. More play testing is needed, but a 40 point figure with the ability to throw down an attack of 13 potentially with a 20 roll, height, and glyph is pretty amazing, but the Anubian Wolves can do an attack of 11 given the same scenario.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting? PASS. Most definitely! I wouldn’t ever play the Anubian Wolves without some Alphas.

MIRROR TEST: Consider the test unit against itself. Are there any loops that would upset the balance of the Game? PASS.

ARMY TEST 1

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary. [insert pass/fail, point value, and brief summary] INCONCLUSIVE. The 160 points of Alphas killed a total of 300 points of the A+ team with the Wolves taking care of the rest. The Alphas are a great concept and a great design, but some tweaking may be necessary if more play tests deem them too powerful.

Map: Jungle Hill

Units:

Army 1: Anubian Wolves x4, Anubian Alphas x4 = 460 points

VS

Army 2: Q-9, Raelin v1, Stingers x3, Isamu = 450 points.

The Anubians rolled through the Stingers without too much difficulty. The Wolves slaughtered Raelin with two nice attacks of 4/5 and 5/5 skulls. Q-9 couldn’t withstand the combined pack for more than four attacks. One Alpha came into play after a Stinger killed a wolf, only to have another Stinger take the Alpha out immediately with a 4/4 skull roll on the same turn. The Anubian team finished with 215 points left and five wolves still sitting in their own start zone while two wolves and a full life Alpha were in the opposing start zone doing all of the killing.

Final thoughts: I love the Alphas, but I’m worried they might still be too strong, more play tests should tell. One way to limit their power is to make it so only one Alpha can be included in a squad per turn. The Alphas rolled 38 skulls out of 73 total dice, which is pretty close to the predicted 50%. The average roll per attack was 7.3 dice which is higher than what it should be (I was lucky with the 20-sider on Unleashed Fury). Doing the math, an Alpha's average attack should be 5.4 using Unleashed Fury, bumping to 6 perhaps given height. An attack glyph and/or Khosumet would also increase the number of dice per attack.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:29 pm

Thanks for getting the playtest in!

BONDING TEST
    These figures also bond with the Wolves of Badru. So, I could take a turn with one Alpha as a bonding figure and then go with a full squad of the Badru?

The ALPHA is a Hybrid Hunter and not a Darklord, so it doesn't activate with normal Wolves of Badru Darklord Bonding.  I did have one version where they were Darklords but realized the loop and changed it.

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately? QUESTION. So, even though the figures are Uncommon, I can take a turn with 2 or 3 Alphas as in one turn for the Anubian Wolves? I had three Alphas on the board at one time and was able to make quick work of Stingers by taking a turn with 2 or 3 Alphas on one OM.

Here's how the power is written:
    PACK ALPHA

I can see how you were taking a turn with multiple Alpha's based on the way it is written but the intent is to have 1 Alpha and 2 Squad figures take a turn.  I'll add a clarification that only One Alpha can take a turn as part of the squad.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:42 pm

Jacob is going to run a play test with me in a few minutes. We will go with the intent. I think it will make a difference. Stay tuned. Thanks for the clarification of the bonding with the Wolves of Badru - I didn't think about it that much.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:10 pm

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Anubian Alphas

THEME TEST: Are there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that do not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character should be able to do? Also consider whether or not this character's powers should affect destructible objects. PASS.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play? PASS. Jacob enjoyed playing them, but OM management was a bit of a challenge of him. The Anubian Wolves with Alphas were dominant.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying? FAIL. Damon was annoyed with killing a wolf, only to have a powerful Alpha infect the dead corpse and keep the pressure on. The Wolves rolled a 1 twice for Unleashed Fury and Jacob decided to kill a wolf in the front lines so that he could replace it with an Anubian, which we later realized we played wrong. It still didn’t matter in the outcome of the match because it didn’t happen until only Isamu was left. The two Alphas never moved or attacked.

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable? PASS. Here were the Alphas attacks: 5/5, 3/6, 1/5, 2/5, 3/5, 5/5, 2/7, 3/7, 1/5, and 2/5 to kill two of the nine Stingers, all of Raelin, and to earn one wound on Q9.

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game? PASS. I came close a few times not attacking a wolf for fear of an Alpha joining the fray.

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately? PASS. No concerns now that we knew only 1 Alpha per Anubian turn.

SYNERGIES TEST: Think of all the current cards that would have synergy with the unit card. Are there any factors that could break the game by making a unit too powerful or too weak? INCONCLUSIVE. More play tests are needed to determine if they are too powerful.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be overamplified and break the game? INCONCLUSIVE. More play testing is needed. The real threat with these guys is that it makes the pack all that much more relentless – they just keep coming from the spot that you had them killed. Getting an Alpha to replace an Anubian is almost worth a whole squad in my opinion.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting? PASS. I wouldn’t ever play the Anubian Wolves without some Alphas.

MIRROR TEST: Consider the test unit against itself. Are there any loops that would upset the balance of the Game? PASS.

ARMY TEST 1

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary. [insert pass/fail, point value, and brief summary] INCONCLUSIVE. The Alphas killed a total of 210 points and only two of them saw any action.

Units:

Army 1: Anubian Wolves x4, Anubian Alphas x4 = 460 points

VS

Army 2: Q-9, Raelin v1, Stingers x3, Isamu = 450 points.

The Anubians rolled through the Stingers without too much difficulty. It took an Alpha four attacks to put away Raelin. Q-9 went down on five attacks, but only one from an Alpha which was a 5/5 skull roll for the last wound. On his last three defense rolls Q-9 rolled exactly zero shields out of 21 dice. Yikes. It took four attacks on Isamu to put him away due to three vanishes. Isamu was able to earn a couple of wounds on an Alpha before the battle was over in the 6th round. There were a couple of times Jacob decided not to bring in an Alpha after a wolf died because I still had attacks left during my turn, which brought some decision making into the strategy of playing these guys. The Anubian team finished with 242 points left and another lopsided victory.

Final thoughts: I’m still worried the Alphas might be too strong. Jacob thought they should be bumped to 50 points. Neither one of us rolled the dice real well, but my defense rolls were horrendous. The Alphas rolled 27 skulls out of 55 total dice, almost exactly 50%. The average roll per attack was 5.5 dice which is just about what it should be with Unleashed Fury. These guys still need more play testing.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:27 pm

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Anubian Alphas, the third test. I increased the army sizes to give the A+ team a needed screen of Deathreavers while the Anubians added Khosumet.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play? PASS.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying? PASS. The Rats slowed them down a little bit. The A+ team still held out hope until the 5th round when the Anubians rolled two 20s for Unleashed Fury.

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable? PASS.

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game? PASS. When to bring in an Alpha is the new strategy offered.

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately? PASS.

SYNERGIES TEST: Think of all the current cards that would have synergy with the unit card. Are there any factors that could break the game by making a unit too powerful or too weak? PASS. Khosumet was a nice addition to the Anubian army. His boost of Unleashed Fury paid off numerous times.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be overamplified and break the game? FAIL. Too powerful in my opinion – either the points need to increase or the powers/stats tweaked.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting? PASS.

ARMY TEST 1

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary. [insert pass/fail, point value, and brief summary] FAIL. The Alphas only killed a total of 122 points, but they spent much of their time contending with Rats. The A+ team did a decent job of engaging the Alphas with Rats and slowing them down, but it left some paths open for the wolves to do the majority of the killing. I think that these guys a tad too powerful as written.

Units:

Army 1: Anubian Wolves x4, Anubian Alphas x4, Khosumet = 535 points

VS

Army 2: Q-9, Raelin v1, Stingers x3, Isamu, Deathreavers x2 = 530 points.

Rd 1: Wolves and Rats both moved out on OM #1 and #2. The Wolves managed to kill a couple of Rats with 6/9 and 4/5 skull rolls. Khosumet bumped a 19 to a 20 on OM#2. Q-9 came out and couldn’t kill a wolf with his Queglix.

Rd 2: Q-9 rolled 7/9 skulls with his special, but a wolf rolled 8/15 shields in defense. The wolves killed a Rat and then earned two wounds on Q-9 with attacks of 3/4 and 4/5 despite Q-9’s defense bumped by Raelin. The Stingers drained and rolled 7/12 skulls on the same wolf, but it defended with 7/15 shields. The wolves killed two Stingers with two 1/3 rolls. The Stingers finally made some headway, killing 2 wolves, only to have them both be replaced by Alphas. On the last OM, Unleashed Fury was a 1+1 for 2, but a wolf killed a Stinger with a 2/2 roll and then an Alpha took out another one with a 1/3 roll. Q-9 did defend a couple of attacks after taking the first two wounds in the round.

Rd 3: Stingers drain, roll 7/9 skulls to kill the Alpha on the left with two attacks, and then kill a wolf, who was shapeshifted. 1+1 Fury roll, but an Alpha sneaks into attack Raelin for two wounds with a 3/4 skull roll. Two wolves hammer Q-9 with 4/6 total skulls, but Q-9 defends. Stingers drain again, two 2/5 attacks on the Alpha engaged with Raelin kills the lead canine while Q-9 defends against another wolf. The Anubians get a 20+1 Fury roll. An Alpha roll 6/11 skulls to kill a Rat. Two wolves roll 10/20 skulls on poor Q-9, but he amazingly rolls 9/18 shields for only one wound, leaving him with one life left. Raelin flies out of the start zone up to the hill to offer her squads more protection to close the round.

Rd 4: Stingers climb the hill and manage to kill a wolf, the last Alpha in reserve decides to stay in reserve. All of the battle from here on out will take place on top of the hill. 18+1 Fury roll – an Alpha rolls 3/8 to kill another Rat and then a wolf rolls 4/6 skulls to kill Q-9, who rolled 3/9 in defense. Stingers drain and earn 2 wounds on the Alpha and then kill a wolf, he is replaced by the last Alpha. An Alpha can’t kill a Rat. The Stingers attack the two Alphas, killing the one that had two wounds but not damaging the other. To end the round, the Alpha and one wolf kill a couple of Rats, leaving only one on the board. The other wolf rolls 4/4 skulls to kill Raelin.

Rd 5: Three attacks on the same wolf by Stingers finally killed it. A 19+1 Fury roll results in a 3/11 Alpha kill of a Stinger, a 6/9 wolf attack to kill another Stinger, but the last Rat rolls 3/5 shields to defend against a 3/9 wolf attack. The Stingers drain but can only manage to kill one wolf with 5/5 skulls on their final attack of the turn. The Alpha kills the last Rat and a wolf kills a Stinger, leaving only 2 left. The Stingers kill a wolf and place a wound on the Alpha. On OM#3, a 20+1 Fury roll results in two dead Stingers from a 5/9 wolf roll and an 8/11 Alpha roll. Only Isamu remains for the A+ team.

Rd 6: It took a couple of turns, but the Alpha tracked down Isamu, rolled 4/7 skulls, Isamu rolled a 7 for vanish, and the battle was over.

Final thoughts: The Alphas are too strong in my opinion with three convincing wins over a top-flight team with 40%-55% of their total points remaining in the battles. In this one, the Anubians had 202 points left on the board with a 2-life Alpha, a full-life Khosumet, and 4 Wolves. It was closer than the other 2 battles previously reported. Khosument did a nice job of boosting Fury numerous times – which added dozens of dice to Anubian attacks. The Alphas rolled a total of 78 attack dice for 36 skulls, which is less than half. With 11 attacks, the Alphas averaged 7 dice per attack, which is just about right with Khosumet’s bumps. So, they played just about right luck-wise. A 40 point figure that averages an attack of 6 to 7 is pretty nice, and they get to be placed right in the heat of the battle, ensuring an attack on their next turn in most cases.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:31 pm

I am glad that the Wolves are winning! (They are one of my favorite units)

But sounds like the Alpha - while a cool concept - is just pointed too low.

Nomad/Jacob - would you agree that the mechanics of Shapeshift/Infected Host are good additions to the game .. we just need to tweak the points?

I'd be okay bringing them up to 60 points if that brings them into more balance. Probably bump their life back to 4.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:03 am