Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W2 Tecer - released

Derek S
    Derek S

W2 Tecer - released Empty W2 Tecer - released

Post  Derek S Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:42 am

Tecer

NWHC WAVE 2- Heroes of Mitljorn- Reinforcements of the Taunting Tide

W2 Tecer - released TecerR.NWHCW2 Tecer - released Tecer.BasicR.NWHC

Figure- Reaper, Legendary Encounters, Minotaur of the Maze

Planet- Feylund
    General- Utgar

Species: Minotaur
    Unique Hero
    Class: Beast
    Personality: Ferocious
    Large 5

Life 4
    Move 5
    Range 1
    Attack 4
    Defense 4
    110 Points

BULL RUSH
    If Tecer starts his movement unengaged, you may use Bull Rush. To use Bull Rush, move Tecer in a straight line. You may choose a figure or destructible object that Tecer ends his movement engaged with. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher the chosen figure or destructible object receives 1 wound. You may add 1 to your die roll for each space between the chosen figure or destructible object and Tecer's original placement. If the chosen figure is small or medium and receives a wound you may place that figure on any empty space within 2 clear sight spaces of Tecer. That space must be the same level or lower than its current height. A figure moved by Bull Rush does not take any leaving engagement attacks. A non-flying figure moved lower by Bull Rush can receive any falling damage that may apply. If Tecer attempts Bull Rush, reduce his attack by 1 this turn.

Double Attack
    When Tecer attacks, he may attack one additional time.

Bio- Nostrils flaring, eyes focused, Tecer charges the enemy, tossing one aside, hacking down another, and then another, clearing a path for his  brethren to get to their enemies leader, and securing the Minotaurs another victorious battle.

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered
    -

Synergy Benefits Received
    -Minotaurs of Nullondia: Minotaur Hero bonding

Being a Minotaur Hero, Tecer may benefit from MINOTAUR HERO BONDING activation bonus.
    -Ornak : Red Flag of Fury Aura
    As a Unique Hero that follows Utgar, Tecer may benefit from Ornak’s RED FLAG OF FURY activation synergy.
    -Arrow Gruts: Beast Bonding
    As a Beast, Tecer may benefit from Arrow Gruts’ BEAST BONDING activation bonus.

Synergy Imposed
    -Sheildsmiths of Granite Keep: Steadfast
    Tecer cannot move the Sheildsmiths of Granite Keep with BULLRUSH, due to STEADFAST.

Last edited by Derek S on Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:50 pm; edited 16 times in total
    Derek S
    Derek S

W2 Tecer - released Empty Re: W2 Tecer - released

Post  Derek S Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:30 pm

Here's my thoughts;

Planet- Feylund
    General- Utgar
    Name Tecer
    Minotaur
    Unique Hero
    Beast
    Ferocious
    Large 5
    Life 4
    Move 5
    Range 1
    Attack 4
    Defense 4
    Points 110

Bull Rush

If Tecer starts his movement unengaged, you may use Bull Rush.  To use Bull Rush, move Tecer in a straight line.  If Tecer ends his movement engaged you may roll the 20-sided die.  If you roll a 14 or higher the defending figure receives a wound.  You may add 1 to your die roll for each space between the defending figure and Tecer's original placement.  If the defending figure is small or medium and receives a wound but is not destroyed you may place the figure on any empty space within 2 clear sight spaces of Tecer.  The space must be on the same level as or lower than its current location.  A figure moved by Bull Rush never takes any leaving engagement attacks.  A non-flying figure moved lower by Bull Rush can receive any falling damage that may apply.  If Tecer uses Bull Rush this turn, reduce his attack by 1.

Double Attack

When Tecer attacks, he may attack one additional time.

Last edited by Derek S on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:47 am; edited 5 times in total
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:38 pm

In D&D they have different "Feats" that are like Special Powers. For example, TANDROS has Cleave, which is a Feat. But as a character gains more experience they can increase their Feats .. so Cleave can become Greater Cleave. They also use terms like: Bull Rush which then becomes "Improved Bull Rush."

Maybe the Minotaur hero can have Improved Gore instead of Gore. This way, he can also attack after a Gore attempt. Since he'll have Double Attack it might be a tough decision between one Gore, which could lead to 2 more attacks or actually no damage (no Gore, no Double Attack).

Maybe the Hero can Gore and Attack once ... or if he doesn't move he gets Double Attack.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:27 am

Also what would you think about the Minotaur hero being able to "Charge/Gore" by Moving through an Opponent's figure." If the Gore is successful, the Hero can continue to move. Sort of like Trample/Stomp.

Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:50 am

The 2nd post is updated with some changes. Not sure if there is too much going on with Bull Rush?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Being a "BEAST" with double-attack, where would you put TECER for points? He only has 4 life, so he's not in the "Krug" class .. but two attacks of 4 is pretty good. Would that make him around 100 points?

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:17 pm

Question on Bull Rush and Gore:
    Does your entire move have to be in a straight line in order to use these special powers?  What if I move 1 space to the right, and then 4 spaces in a straight line?  As written, it would seem that I can NOT use Gore/Rush since I didn't move entirely in a straight line?

I did a play-test on Highways and DieWays, and it was really really challenging to get movement in a straight line so I didn't get very many Gore/Rush opportunities at all .. so wondered if I was doing it wrong.

http://www.heroscapers.com/downloads//highways_3yK.jpg

HERO:
    Bull Rush

If Tecer starts his movement unengaged, you may use Bull Rush. To use Bull Rush, move Tecer in a straight line. If Tecer ends his movement engaged you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher the defending figure receives a wound. You may add 1 to your die roll for each space between the defending figure and Tecer's original placement. If the defending figure is small or medium and receives a wound but is not destroyed you may place the figure on any empty space within 2 clear sight spaces of Tecer. The space must be on the same level as or lower than its current location. A figure moved by Bull Rush never takes any leaving engagement attacks. A non-flying figure moved lower by Bull Rush can receive any falling damage that may apply. If Tecer uses Gore this turn, he may not use double attack.

SQUAD:
    Gore

If a Minotaur of Nullondia starts his movement unengaged, you may use Gore. To use Gore, move the Minotaur of Nullondia in a straight line. If the Minotaur of Nullondia ends his movement engaged or next to a destructible object you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher the defending figure or destructible object receives a wound. You may add one to your die roll for each space between the defending figure and the Minotaur of Nullondia's original placement. If a Minotaur of Nullondia fails to inflict a wound with Gore, he may not attack this turn.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:41 pm

PLAYTEST REPORT:

HORN & BOLT
    Tecer, Minotaur Hero ... 100 points
    Minotaurs of Nullondia x3 ... 270 points
    Myrrdin .. 90 points
    Guilty McCreech .. 30 points
    Isamu .. 10 points
    = 500

versus

ICE & FEATHERS
    Nilfheim
    Greenscales x2
    Quorik Warwitch
    Beakface Sneaks x5

Played 2 matches with each side winning one game.

Game 1 -
    So I (foolishly) lead out with the Quorik Warwitch to grab two Treasure glyphs but a Potion of Speed and an Oceanstrider amulet was NOT worth it. The Minotaurs advanced on all 3 OM's and they were all-over the Raptorian heroine (who missed 7 of 7 Flutters) and they went berserk all of Nilfheim when the dragon-king landed in the midst of the fray. Ice Shards went blasting and Tecer and another Minotaur smashed & slashed away on the Ice-Wyrm and put him down by OM2 of Round 2. By the end of Round 2, the Minotaurs had cleared out the Greenscales and Warwitch and I even pulled off a Gore into the start zone!! The Beakface fell super-fast to the melee mastery of the minotaurs in short order.

Flutters - 0 for 7
    Gore - 2 for 3

Game 2 -
    This was a much more balanced and cautious game for the lizard folk. The minotaurs rolled out and with all of the road on Highways and DieWays the battle was joined very quickly. I used a screen of Beakface to protect Nilfheim at one point - basically sacrificing the Raptorians to keep the minotaurs at bay to give the lizard folk time to set up. It was a key move - though a 90-point screen was not economical.

Scent of Prey was the difference several times in making it to Nilf and the Greenscales. One Greenscale held the Defense + 1 glyph the entire game and Nilfheim maintained height for all of his combat time. Tecer was pretty tough in shrugging off the Ice Shard attacks and Nilf was only getting in 2 shards instead of three, but the Greenscales were helping out for sure. There were several turns of back-and-forth (good attack versus good defense) though the Minos were being thinned out. Nilfheim was sitting at 1 Life for 2 turns and Tecer was aided by a Sacred Treasure roll of 20 that helped him ignore 3 wounds. Eventually though the Glyph + Height won out and the Minotaurs crumbled.

The end game came down to Myrrdin and Guilty versus Quorik and Greenscales. The Raptorian Witch is pretty cool with her double or triple attack - especially against low defense figures. It took a full round but eventually he finished off the remaining bad guys and even had a Flutter!

Gore - 0 for 0
    Flutters - 1 for 4

Summary:
    Overall I was a little confused by Gore/Bull Rush and maybe that was just the Map (so many twists and turns, even though I was moving a bunch on the road).

The Minotaurs seem balanced, playing a lot like Hornskull Brutes with Bonding. The 5 Move, 4 attack/4 defense is pretty buff, and once combat is joined - you are getting FIVE attacks of 4 .. so really strong. You can pull off similar levels of attacks per order marker with Heavy Gruts and Tornak boosting .. and these guys are more expensive. If they did get to Gore AND attack - they would be pretty wicked (and probably 110 points).

Tecer is pretty awesome. Two attacks of 4 is in-line with the Ogre Pulverizer and the Pulverizer is 100-points and bonds with a 3-person, 4-attack squad in the Deathchasers. The Deathchasers only have 2 defense though, so they drop easily. His sculpt and theme sort of beg for more than 4-Life though .. but if you're trying to keep his points down I can see it.

Very fun melee squad!!!
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:00 am

Kai wrote:Does your entire move have to be in a straight line in order to use these special powers? What if I move 1 space to the right, and then 4 spaces in a straight line? As written, it would seem that I can NOT use Gore/Rush since I didn't move entirely in a straight line?
    Yes, you must go in a straight line the entire move. I didn't think it would be super easy to pull the gore or bull rush off. A little strategic placing before getting into the fray is in order with these guys. Bull rush is interesting because you can use it to get a figure off a cliff or to get height on a character- sometimes worth using over a double attack.

Thank you for the playtests.
    I kind of thought Tecer would be around 100 pts. Did that seem close in your playtests? I do agree that more than 4 life would be nice but I didn't want him super pricey, and I think 4 attack with a double attack are fitting as well. Maybe he could go up to 5 life with a cost bump. But I am not so sure yet.

Other potential Minotaur heroes are the Shaman- who I envision will reduce the roll for bull rush or gore for any minotaur within 6 or so spaces, but a relatively fragile figure. And the other 2 pictured in the other Minotaur hero OP. The little guy will probably be more of a filler unit for them, while the other big guy with the armor will be more stout, with the bull rush power, but only a single attack. These are just ideas for now so they may change by the time the write up starts.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Yeah, TECER is good a 100 points with 4 Life and Double-attack. He's probably an A+ figure at that point total, since he'd be better than Alastair (who is A- at 110 points). Since he can get two attacks of 5 from height - he can be pretty awesome. I could see a bump to Life 5 but drop in Defense to 3.

The Minotaurs played well at 90-points for a 4/4 squad with bonding. They are pretty tough : ) With Gore only working on straight-line moves, I think that limits the power so they can stay under 100 points. And yeah, I found myself staying further back to prep the Gore on the following turn (and Scent of Prey helps with that). Thematically I did want to charge in and Gore more often though. If you want to have more Gore action - I could see something like the Templar Cavalry - where you can Gore if the target was within 4 clear sight spaces before moving (and therefore up to +4 to the d20 roll). Maybe Tecer can Bull Rush within 6 spaces (so up to +6).

All and All pretty fun unit. I was using large single based figures for proxies (Master of the Hunt, Ogre Pulverizer, Ice Troll Berserker).

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:53 pm

Thanks for the play tests! Great concept on the Minotaurs. I look forward to adding them to the HS lore.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:31 am

Pointed this guy at 110 with 4 defense 4 life stats. 3 def. 5 life is certainly a possibility, I might be inclined to go with 4 defense 5 life and really bump his points- some of the other minotaur heros could come in at lesser points.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:15 am

I think we should give this a guy a run with where is points/powers currently line-up.

Deciding whether or not to do Bull Rush presents interesting strategy and decision points.

My concern is that Bull Rush will not be used because you give up the double attack - which is pretty powerful.

What about if you decide to use Bull Rush, you get to keep the double attack, but must roll one less attack die?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:42 pm

I like it, Tecer uses Bull Rush attack is reduced by one. Very good.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:46 pm

I like it, Tecer uses Bull Rush attack is reduced by one. Very good.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:10 pm

What do you think about leaving Tecer with just Double-Attack and dropping Bull Rush?

My thought is that Tecer is the Minotaur hero you bond with for multi-attacks and the 2nd Minotaur Hero is the one with Bull Rush (and that maybe bumps the Gore of the Squad). That makes the Heroes unique in their own right and gives a reason to draft one or both for a full minotaur army.

Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:04 pm

I am not against this. I see the shaman minotaur you have as the one that influences the dice roll. The other hero with a little bit of umph still would have a lot of options to be a part of/ or separate from the army that might have Tecer. I was thinking the other hero with umph would have something like or bullrush itself. My thoughts right now are that the 2nd big hero wouldn't have double attack so bull rush would have to be varied anyway for him.

Should I get some thoughts started for the next Minotaur hero before deciding (or anybody is welcome to as well), whether or not Tecer should have Bull Rush? Or should we continue with Tecer as is and adapt the other ummphy hero accordingly?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:27 am

Let's keep TECER "as is" with a few more playtests to finish him off.

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:44 pm

I'm good either way.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:16 pm

I think Tecer might be a bit vulnerable for 110 pts. I am OK with keeping his options open to bump a figure of a space, or dropping his value and losing his bull rush. I am currently PTing him and the Minotaurs and I am not sure of what that power will amount to point wise. Is there concerns over the bullrush power, or just worries over how many heroes might fit into a Minotaur army?

The Shaman and 1 other Hero are all that I envision for a complete faction but I hope that will allow for some variety depending on who is chosen.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:09 am

Damon wrote:What about if you decide to use Bull Rush, you get to keep the double attack, but must roll one less attack die?
    You said you liked this idea. Are you still planning on making this adjustment to the Bull Rush power?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:41 am

Thanks for the reminder Damon, I didn't get around to changing the OP back then.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:48 pm

I know a bit of testing has been conducted . . . but, can we move Tecer to play testing phase? I am happy with the stats currently - points will work out right after testing.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:36 pm

Tecer still might need some play testing. He also needs some word-crafting on the Bull Rush power, but here is the stab at a card.

W2 Tecer - released TecerNWHC

W2 Tecer - released TecerBasicNWHC
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:51 am

Card looks great Damon. Do you think it would be better if Tecer was raised a bit and rotated counter clockwise (looking from the top) a wee bit. Added height of 5 to OP.

Bull Rush

If Tecer starts his movement unengaged, you may use Bull Rush. To use Bull Rush, move Tecer in a straight line. If Tecer ends his movement engaged you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher the defending figure receives a wound. You may add 1 to your die roll for each space between the defending figure and Tecer's original placement. If the defending figure is small or medium and receives a wound but is not destroyed you may place the figure on any empty space within 2 clear sight spaces of Tecer. The space must be on the same level as or lower than its current location. A figure moved by Bull Rush never takes any leaving engagement attacks. A non-flying figure moved lower by Bull Rush can receive any falling damage that may apply. If Tecer uses Bull Rush this turn, reduce his attack by 1.

Bull Rush

If Tecer starts his movement unengaged, you may use Bull Rush. To use Bull Rush, move Tecer in a straight line. If Tecer ends his movement engaged you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher the defending figure receives a wound. You may add 1 to your die roll for each space between the defending figure and Tecer's original placement. If the defending figure is small or medium and receives a wound but is not destroyed you may place that figure on any empty space within 2 clear sight spaces of Tecer. That space must be on the same level as or lower than its current location. A figure moved by Bull Rush never takes any leaving engagement attacks. A non-flying figure moved lower by Bull Rush can receive any falling damage that may apply. If Tecer uses Bull Rush this turn, reduce his attack by 1.

are some potential wording changes.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm