Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

4 posters

W2 Aristeos - Released

Huskies16
    Huskies16

W2 Aristeos - Released Empty W2 Aristeos - Released

Post  Huskies16 Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:48 am

W2 Aristeos - Released Aristeos3NWHC
    W2 Aristeos - Released Aristeos2BasicNWHC

ARISTEOS

Figure: Figure: Dungeons and Dragons, Under Dark, Satyr #022

General: Ullar
    Planet: Feylund

Species: Satyr
    Unique Hero
    Class: Protector
    Personality: Tricky
    Medium 4

Life: 5
    Move: 6
    Range: 6
    Attack: 3
    Defense: 3
    90 Points

FLUTE ENCHANTMENT
    Instead of moving, you may choose a figure within 4 spaces of Aristeos. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-10, nothing happens. If you roll an 11-16 remove 1 Order Marker from the chosen figure's Army Card at random (or cards if your opponent has more than one Common Army Card for that figure). If you roll a 17 or higher, remove 2 Order Markers from the chosen figure's Army Card (or cards if your opponent has more than one Common Army Card for that figure). If Aristeos attacks the same figure that he chose with Flute Enchantment this turn, that figure subtracts 1 from their defense dice.

NATURE'S AURA
    Aristeos and all adjacent figures you control that follow Ullar may roll one additional defense die against normal non-adjacent attacks.

Bio:
    Bounding through the forests of Feylund, the satyr Aristeos was renown as a protector of the woods and a trickster of the those who entered. Ullar summoned Aristeos to provide cover for his fellow warriors of Ullar through his synergy with nature and to create havoc with his enchanted flute that, when the soft notes were heard, would temporarily put his foes into a state of drowsiness or even sleep.

The Book of Aristeos
    NWHC WAVE 2- TAUNTING TIDES

Rulings and Clarifications

Combinations and Synergies

Synergy Benefits Offered
    -Otonashi: Tricky Speed 4
    Having the Tricky Personality, Aristeos may aid Otonashi’s TRICKY SPEED 4 ability.
    -Ullar figures: Nature’s Aura
    All Ullar figures adjacent to Aristeos roll an additional defense die against non-adjacent normal attacks.

Synergy Benefits Received
    -Elaria the Pale: Queen of Theives
    Having a Tricky Personality, Aristeos may benefit from Elaria the Pale’s QUEEN OF THEIVES 20-sided dice bonus.
    -Myrddin: Mystic Sacrifice
    Being a Medium Unique Hero, Aristeos may benefit from Myrddin’s MYSTIC SACRIFICE 20-sided dice boost.
    -Jean de Ascalon: When the Bell Tolls
    Being a Unique figure, Aristeos may benefit from Jean de Ascalon’s WHEN THE BELL TOLLS 20-sided dice boost.
    -Acolarh: Ullars Amulet
    Being a figure that follows Ullar, Aristeos may benefit from Acolarh’s ULLAR’S AMULET movement bonus.

Synergy Imposed
    -

Last edited by Huskies16 on Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:10 pm; edited 11 times in total (Reason for editing : Added book)
    Huskies16
    Huskies16

W2 Aristeos - Released Empty Playtesting p1.

Post  Huskies16 Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:26 am

Pan-Ashrax3-Sidhex4

Pan Vs. Gladiators
    R1: Pan wins, natures protection was way to strong for a unique so i'll drop that power
    R2: Warriors and Sidhe to tough for melee...

Pan Vs. Gorillinators
    R1: Pan wins, barely, thanks to his flute, his aura saved a few Ashra
    R2: Gorillas win, pretty close though

More Playtesting to be continued...
    Derek S
    Derek S

W2 Aristeos - Released Empty Re: W2 Aristeos - Released

Post  Derek S Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:29 am

Pan-Ashrax3-Sidhex4

Pan Vs. Gladiators
    R1: Pan wins, natures protection was way to strong for a unique so i'll drop that power
    R2: Warriors and Sidhe to tough for melee...

Pan Vs. Gorillinators
    R1: Pan wins, barely, thanks to his flute, his aura saved a few Ashra
    R2: Gorillas win, pretty close though

What were the armies they played against. R1 I think means playtest 1, R2 means playtest 2? or does it mean round 1 and round 2.

Flute Enchantment 14:
    Instead of moving you may choose a figure within 3 spaces of Pan, roll the 20-sided die, 14 or higher remove one order marker, if you roll a 20 you may remove one unrevealed order markers from the chosen figures card at random. If you attack the figure you just successfully used sleep enchantment on, you may add one to your attack.

so you choose a figure within 3 spaces, roll the 20-sided die and if you roll a 14 or higher remove one order marker, if you roll a 20 (or higher I assume) I don't get what happens- you still remove one unrevealed order marker from which chosen figure.
    I like adding 1 to your attack on a figure that was sleep/flute enchanted. I need to understand what the intent is a little better before making suggestions.

Natures Aura:
    Pan and all adjacent common figures under Ullar that you control may roll one additional defense die against all normal non-adjacent attacks.

I kind of like the idea here. I am not so sure it should only be common figures or figures that follow Ullar for that matter. Maybe friendly figures? Doesn't seem to powerful at all to me, not near as much as Raelin and her Auras.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:39 pm

Sounds like a good start.

I'll be doing a Miniature Market order soon, and they have this guy in stock. I'll pick up 2 for our Seattle group.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ddud22.html#.UtRq3mB3tKg
    Huskies16
    Huskies16

Post  Huskies16 Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:11 pm

Oops, right... i'll fix that special power, typo...
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:26 pm

Hey Jacob - great ideas! Let's work on the wording of the powers together and then redo the OP. We have found that a little conversation goes a long way.

I'm also e-mailing you the play-testing form. Great start on this figure!

Love,
    Your Father Very Happy 
    Huskies16
    Huskies16

W2 Aristeos - Released Empty Playtesting p1.

Post  Huskies16 Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:08 am

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Pan

THEME TEST: Are there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that do not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character should be able to do? Also consider whether or not this character's powers should affect destructible objects. PASS.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play? PASS.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying? PASS. Well losing order markers sucks…

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable? PASS.

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game? PASS. Keeping your figures around him for extra protection and sending him out at the right time to try and get rid of an order marker.

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately? PASS.

SYNERGIES TEST: Think of all the current cards that would have synergy with the unit card. Are there any factors that could break the game by making a unit too powerful or too weak? PASS.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be overamplified and break the game? PASS.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting? NOPE. It depends on the army you are drafting, but not really, he’s more of better version of dund… sort of

MIRROR TEST: Consider the test unit against itself. Are there any loops that would upset the balance of the Game? PASS.

ARMY TEST 1

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary. [insert pass/fail, point value, and brief summary] PASS. Worth about 100, 110. Pans order marker removing from the Gladiators gave the Sidhe an extra charge.

Map:… it had trees

Units:

Army 1: Pan, Warriors of Ashrax3, Sidhex4 = 410 points (with pan at 100)

VS

Army 2: Capuansx3, Priscus, Retarious, = 400 points.

…Pans team slaughtered them in both games, warriors and sylvan next to trees was to tough for melee gladiators…
    Huskies16
    Huskies16

Post  Huskies16 Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:09 am

Nomad wrote:Let's work on the wording of the powers together and then redo the OP

redo the over-powered...?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:15 am

Flute Enchantment 14:
    Instead of moving you may choose a figure within 3 spaces of Pan, roll the 20-sided die, 14 or higher remove one order marker from the chosen figures card at random. If you attack the figure you just successfully used sleep enchantment on, you may add one to your attack.

I really like the theme of this power. Instead of moving and all works well. One thought is why would only 1 figure be affected by this? A thought I have is going with 3 flute enchantment markers. So the power would read something like this.

FLUTE ENCHANTMENT 16

Pan starts the game with 3 (color) Flute Enchantment Markers. If Pan has a flute enchantment marker you may roll the 20-sided dice for each figure within 3 clear site spaces. If you roll a 16 or higher place a flute enchantment marker on the chosen figure's army card. Pan adds 1 automatic skull for each flute enchantment marker on an opponents card. An opponent cannot move or attack while a flute enchantment marker is on its card. After a figure's move phase that is flute enchanted return 1 flute enchantment marker to Pan.

Probably would be cleaner if Pan could put a maximum of 1 marker on a card. Just some thoughts.

Natures Aura:
    Pan and all adjacent common figures under Ullar that you control may roll one additional defense die against all normal non-adjacent attacks.

I still wouldn't mind if this was extended to all Ullar figures. It's still vulnerable to special attacks and melee and is limited to adjacent figures. Maybe small or medium figures that follow Ullar (or and large to match the jungle terrain).

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:45 am

Sounds cool, maybe all Ullar tricky? and i really do like the flute enchantment
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:46 am

oops, i just posted on my dady's... oh well
    Huskies16
    Huskies16

Post  Huskies16 Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:04 pm

With move of 6 and range of 6, that's quite the threat range, should we lower range down one? Or move down one? Or keep it how it is?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:27 am

Huskies16 wrote:[
    Pans Flute Enchantment:
    Instead of moving you may choose a figure within 3 spaces of Pan, roll the 20-sided die, 11 or higher remove one order marker from the chosen figures card at random. If you roll a 17 or higher, you may remove up to 2 order markers from the figures card. If you attack the figure you just targeted for sleep enchantment, you may add one to your attack.

Did you decide if this figure can Move and use the Flute Enchantment? I think we playtested that tonight .. and it wasn't too broken (but certainly better than Dund).
    Huskies16
    Huskies16

Post  Huskies16 Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:09 am

I'm still not sure, maybe so, and bump the range on it from 3 to 4 on the flute
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Here is my input and some suggestions on the format for the OP and wording.

ARISTEOS (just a suggestion on a different spelling - pronounced R-EAST-E-OS, which is more Greek than Latin)

Figure: Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures - Under Dark - Satyr #022 ($2.65 at MM)

Unique Hero
    Class: Sentinel
    Medium ? (we will need to see the scuplt)

Life = 5
    Move = 6
    Range = 6
    Attack = 2
    Defense = 3
    110 Points

FLUTE ENCHANTMENT (Suggest removing "Pan" from the power and a bit of rewording)
    Instead of moving, you may choose a figure within 4 spaces of Aristeos. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-10, nothing happens. If you roll an 11-16 or higher remove 1 Order Marker from the chosen figure's Army Card at random. If you roll a 17-20, remove 2 Order Markers from the chosen figure's Army Card. If you attack the figure that you targeted for Flute Enchantment, you may add one to your attack.

NATURE'S AURA (Just a little rewording)
    Aristeos and all adjacent figures you control that follow Ullar may roll one additional defense die against normal non-adjacent attacks.

Bio:
    Huskies16
    Huskies16

Post  Huskies16 Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:25 pm

Protector not sentinel, I'll fix that...
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:11 pm

Damon wrote:Here is my input and some suggestions on the format for the OP and wording.

ARISTEOS (just a suggestion on a different spelling - pronounced R-EAST-E-OS, which is more Greek than Latin)

Figure: Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures - Under Dark - Satyr #022 ($2.65 at MM)

Unique Hero
    Class: Sentinel
    Medium ? (we will need to see the scuplt)

Life = 5
    Move = 6
    Range = 6
    Attack = 2
    Defense = 3
    110 Points

FLUTE ENCHANTMENT (Suggest removing "Pan" from the power and a bit of rewording)
    Instead of moving, you may choose a figure within 4 spaces of Aristeos. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-10, nothing happens. If you roll an 11-16 or higher remove 1 Order Marker from the chosen figure's Army Card at random. If you roll a 17-20, remove 2 Order Markers from the chosen figure's Army Card. If you attack the figure that you targeted for Flute Enchantment, you may add one to your attack.

NATURE'S AURA (Just a little rewording)

Bio:

Jacob, what do you think of my suggestions . . . ?
    Huskies16
    Huskies16

Post  Huskies16 Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:20 pm

I think they're lovely
    Huskies16
    Huskies16

Post  Huskies16 Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:02 am

Changed Flute Enchantment so instead of +1 attack for you it it -2 defense from defending figure
    Should I still raise Aristeos's attack by 1?
    Also bumped points down 10, should I bump it down 10 more points, or is it good?
    questions comments concerns critique, anything is much appreciated...
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:34 pm

Thanks, Jacob. Derek and I got four play tests in with ARISTEOS and we have some recommendations. I will post the tests in a day or two, but here is what we came with. Suggested changes are in red.

Life = 5
    Move = 6
    Range = 6
    Attack = 2 3
    Defense = 3
    110 90 Points

FLUTE ENCHANTMENT
    Instead of moving, you may choose a figure within 4 spaces of Aristeos. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-10, nothing happens. If you roll an 11-16 remove 1 Order Marker from the chosen figure's Army Card at random. If you roll a 17-20, remove 2 Order Markers from the chosen figure's Army Card. If you attack the figure that you targeted for Flute Enchantment, you may add one to your attack the defending figure reduces its defense by 1.

NATURE'S AURA
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:29 pm

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Aristeos

THEME TEST: Are there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that do not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character should be able to do? Also consider whether or not this character's powers should affect destructible objects. PASS.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play? PASS.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying? PASS. Could be annoying if the 20-sider could work to remove OMs, but Aristeos either didn’t find himself in position too often to get the chance to play his flute or couldn’t pull off the roll.

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable? PASS.

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game? PASS. A very subtle new strategy to the game. Aristeos doesn’t work well in an army with a huge number of unique figure OM hogs, but does pose a threat when in the right spot at the right time. His additional dice to ranged attacks for adjacent Ullar might be his biggest quality.

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately? PASS.

SYNERGIES TEST: Think of all the current cards that would have synergy with the unit card. Are there any factors that could break the game by making a unit too powerful or too weak? PASS.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be overamplified and break the game? PASS.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting? PASS. A very thoughtful design and and a nice addition to any army.

MIRROR TEST: Consider the test unit against itself. Are there any loops that would upset the balance of the Game? PASS.

ARMY TEST

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary. [insert pass/fail, point value, and brief summary] INCONCLUSIVE. We played two games based on his stats of last month before we changed them to the stats listed in the previous post. If those stats are approved, Derek and I think he is about ready to go.

Map: All five battles were on Derek’s custom map of BftU and TTx2.

Battles 1 and 2:
    Army 1 (Derek): Aristeos, Wardens of the Wood, Arkmer, Morsbane, Kwyntela, Haduc = 490 points.
    VS
    Army 2 (Damon): Skahen, Krav Maga, Vindicators of Vydar, Microcorp Agents x2, Otonashi = 490 points.

Battle #1: Damon rolled really well, Derek did not. Battle was over who would control the Attack +1 glyph. Morsbane negated the Vindicators early on. The Wardens fell quickly. Aristeos did nothing. Krav Maga were incredibly awesome. Damon won with 470 points left with only one dead Vindicator.

Battle #2: Much closer battle in this one, but multiple attacks won out. Skahen was negated early by Morsbane. The Wardens faired better in providing defense and attacking when necessary. Aristeos proved some cover from the ranged attacks but was taken out before he could do much. Damon won with 217 points left, mostly Microcorp.

Battle 3 After the first two battles, we tweaked the stats for Aristeos.
    Army 1 (Derek): Aristeos, Wardens of the Wood, Haduc Aubrien Archers x3 = 510 points.
    VS
    Army 2 (Damon): Skahen, Krav Maga, Vindicators of Vydar, Microcorp Agents x2, Otonashi, Jean de Ascalon = 510 points.

Battle #3: Again, Aristeos didn’t do much except for providing some ranged cover for the Archers. The Wardens provided much needed defense for the Archers, but they still didn’t have much luck rolling. The Wardens killed about 90 points worth of figures and saved a fair amount of points. This was a very close and exciting match-up, but Damon’s forces came out on top with 1 Microcorp and Jean remaining for a total of 53 points.

Battles 4 and 5:
    Army 1 (Damon): Aristeos, Charros, Greenscales x3, Theracus = 520 points.
    VS
    Army 2 (Derek): Doggin Trackers, Master of the Hunt, Deathchasers x3, Dund = 525 points.

Battle #4: This was our most exciting and down to the wire battle the whole weekend. Very fun! Charros got caught in the middle of the map and was hammered by the fourth round. Theracus dropped Aristeos on a glyph on OM #1. Aristeos was an interesting threat – reducing defense and removing OMs – more of threat than anything else. The 20-sider was working real well, but being in position to remove OMs after the first won is hard to do. With 1 Chaser and 2-life Dund remaining, Derek came out on top with 73 points left.

Battle #5: Damon did a better job of protecting Charros early so that he would become a beast later in the game. Theracus dropped Aristeos on a glyph on OM#1 in the first round (pit trap). Aristeos would get OM#1 each round to be a threat for OM removal while the Greenscales and Charros would do the rest of the round. It was a good strategy as team Ullar won with 295 points in the bank.

Final thoughts: After 5 play tests, Derek and I recommend dropping Aristeos’s points to 90, changing the flute to reducing opponent’s defense by (more thematic for falling asleep), and increasing his attack by 1. Still, Aristeos needs to be in an army where he can get some OM love or keep him as a clean-up figure. He might possibly need another tweak or two but we feel he is pretty darn close with the stats posted in the previous post. Jacob, what do you think?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:31 pm

W2 Aristeos - Released AristeosNWHC

W2 Aristeos - Released AristeosBasicNWHC

First attempt at the card for Aristeos. It is a pretty dark figure without much color - I played with brightness, hue, and contrast. Your feedback is welcome.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:47 pm

FLUTE ENCHANTMENT
    Instead of moving, you may choose a figure within 4 spaces of Aristeos. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-10, nothing happens. If you roll an 11-16 remove 1 Order Marker from the chosen figure's Army Card at random. If you roll a 17-20, remove 2 Order Markers from the chosen figure's Army Card. If you attack the figure that you targeted for Flute Enchantment, you may add one to your attack the defending figure reduces its defense by 1.

This would follow the Fyorlorg Spiders wording. Should be 17 or higher to account for 20-sided die Modifications?

FLUTE ENCHANTMENT
    Instead of moving, you may choose a figure within 4 spaces of Aristeos. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-10, nothing happens. If you roll an 11-16, remove one unrevealed order marker at random from the chosen figure's army card (or cards if your opponent has more than one Common Army Card for that figure). If you roll a 17 or higher, remove two unrevealed order markers at random from the chosen figure's army card (or cards if your opponent has more than one Common Army Card for that figure).

The card looks a little more grainy than normal, but that could be my eyes as I am having issues there. It also looks like there might be some white background along the bottom of his arrow pack or sword on his back. Thanks for the tremendous amount of work on all these cards Damon. Next wave I will help.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:58 pm

Thanks for the input, Derek. With your suggestions and a thing or two I caught, how does this read?

FLUTE ENCHANTMENT
    Instead of moving, you may choose a figure within 4 spaces of Aristeos. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-10, nothing happens. If you roll an 11-16 remove 1 Order Marker from the chosen figure's Army Card at random (or cards if your opponent has more than one Common Army Card for that figure). If you roll a 17 or higher, remove 2 Order Markers from the chosen figure's Army Card (or cards if your opponent has more than one Common Army Card for that figure). If Aristeos attacks the same figure that he chose with Flute Enchantment this turn, the defending figure rolls one less defense die.

I changed to "17 or higher", included the "or cards . . . " part, and reworded the last sentence to be more clear. Kai, what do you think?

It sounds like NATURE'S AURA is OK?

The Ullar figure background does appear a little more grainy. I will take a new pic of Aristeos and see what I can come up with. As I said, Aristeos is a pretty dark figure without much color - I played with brightness, hue, and contrast on this one. I will try again. The "background" is actually the light edges of the arrow pack. I will try to adjust for it in the future pic, but . . .
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:19 pm

rewording looks good. I am still not 100% sure if it should be 17 or higher or 17-20. Both Dund and Cyprien reference higher, so higher should be good.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:56 am