Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

W2 - Gnoll Raiders - released

Lord Kai

Re: W2 - Gnoll Raiders - released

Post  Lord Kai on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:22 pm

Are we at the point where I should start writing a BIO for the Squad & Heroes?
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:23 pm

I certainly think it is safe to start writing up bios. I can only envision a tweak in points after Derek play tests them, and that wouldn't affect the bio.

Kai, can you snap some high-quality pics of each figure in the Gnoll squad, the Arrow Gnoll, and the hero? Send them to me and I'll start working on the cards.

I do realize that we are still in playtesting mode and that some final editing will need to be done. But, whatever ground work I can get done with the cards will be advantageous.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:22 pm

Damon I play-tested the Gnoll Faction:

Gnoll Raiders x4, Dark Rangers x4, Le-Orex, Raelin, Isamu = 500 points

v.

Heavy Gruts x3, Grimnak, Tornak, Nerak, Jean de Ascalon = 500 points

Great game! Gnolls won with 2 lives left on Le-Orex and Isamu (after 4 vanishes) remaining.

After some brainstorming and various suggestions . . . we both think the Gnoll faction are good to go as is to final editing.

"Fun" . . . "Strategic" . . . "Different ways to play them" . . .

Kai, this is a great design. It is the first and will probably be the last that enters and exits with the same stats and powers.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:15 am

My suggestions on the wording of the Gnoll Raiders special powers:

FERAL PACK MOVEMENT
    Before moving, roll the 20-sided. If you roll a 1-3, you may move 1 Gnoll Raider. If you roll 4-9, you may move 2 Gnoll Raiders. If you roll 10-15, you may move 3 Gnoll Raiders. If your roll 16-19, you may move 6 Gnoll Raiders. If you roll a 20, you may move 9 Gnoll Raiders. After moving, you may attack with 3 Gnoll Raiders that either moved this turn or started this turn engaged.

AURA OF CHAOS
    When an opponent rolls the 20-sided die for a figure’s special power, if that figure is adjacent to at least 1 Gnoll Raider you control, your opponent subtracts 1 from the roll.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:34 am

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:54 am

Any feedback on the card and rewording of the powers that I put forth last month, anyone?

I have scoured the card and the wording again and it looks good to me, but I would appreciate another look.

If it meets your approval, and after the bio is done, I propose we consider the Gnoll Raiders as Final.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:59 pm

Looks awesome, I used this card last night for some games ... and it read well.

Go Hyena faction!!
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:22 pm

missed "die" after 20-sided on the card's 1st line, which looks great.

FERAL PACK MOVEMENT
    Before moving, roll the 20-sided. If you roll a 1-3, you may move 1 Gnoll Raider. If you roll 4-9, you may move 2 Gnoll Raiders. If you roll 10-15, you may move 3 Gnoll Raiders. If your roll 16-19, you may move 6 Gnoll Raiders. If you roll a 20, you may move 9 Gnoll Raiders. After moving, you may attack with 3 Gnoll Raiders that either moved this turn or started this turn engaged.

I also think the power should specify Gnoll Raider's that you control.  I don't think the last line is right either- you can't attack with a non-adjacent Gnoll Raider so I think the last part should be dropped.

FERAL PACK MOVEMENT
    Before moving, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-3, you may move 1 Gnoll Raider you control. If you roll 4-9, you may move 2 Gnoll Raiders you control. If you roll 10-15, you may move 3 Gnoll Raiders you control. If your roll 16-19, you may move 6 Gnoll Raiders you control. If you roll a 20, you may move 9 Gnoll Raiders you control. After moving, you may attack with any 3 Gnoll Raiders you control.

AURA OF CHAOS
    When an opponent rolls the 20-sided die for a figure’s special power, if that figure is adjacent to at least 1 Gnoll Raider you control, your opponent subtracts 1 from the roll.

not as big of a deal here, but how about

AURA OF CHAOS
    When an opponent rolls the 20-sided die for a figure’s special power, if that figure is adjacent to at least 1 Gnoll Raider you control, your opponent must subtracts 1 from that roll.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:41 pm

[quote="Derek S"]missed "die" after 20-sided on the card's 1st line, which looks great.

FERAL PACK MOVEMENT
    FERAL PACK MOVEMENT
    Before moving, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-3, you may move 1 Gnoll Raider you control. If you roll 4-9, you may move 2 Gnoll Raiders you control. If you roll 10-15, you may move 3 Gnoll Raiders you control. If your roll 16-19, you may move 6 Gnoll Raiders you control. If you roll a 20, you may move 9 Gnoll Raiders you control. After moving, you may attack with any 3 Gnoll Raiders you control.

Good catch, this matches the Marro Drones language much better. And I like your simplification of the attack language. The Zombies of Morindan language does have a "... You may attack with any 3 Zombies, even Zombies that you did not move this turn" clause. This is the same with the Gnolls. Do you think we need something like this to be consistent?

http://www.hasbro.com/common/images/heroscape/characters/master/B0A96B35-D56F-E112-4D0ADA4790FCE586.jpg

not as big of a deal here, but how about

AURA OF CHAOS
    When an opponent rolls the 20-sided die for a figure’s special power, if that figure is adjacent to at least 1 Gnoll Raider you control, your opponent must subtracts 1 from that roll.

Cool.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:31 pm

I don't know. If you want to move any 9 that you control and then attack with any other 3, Probably. If you move any 9 and must attack with 3 of those then no. If you move only 1 or 2 then I think the proposed language is defined enough. So it depends if you want to be able to attack with figures that didn't move when you move 6 or 9.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:17 am

Derek S wrote:I don't know.  If you want to move any 9 that you control and then attack with any other 3, Probably.  If you move any 9 and must attack with 3 of those then no.  If you move only 1 or 2 then I think the proposed language is defined enough.  So it depends if you want to be able to attack with figures that didn't move when you move 6 or 9.

Yes, I want to be able to attack with figure that did not move.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:23 am

Here is the updated language:

FERAL PACK MOVEMENT
    Before moving, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-3, you may move 1 Gnoll Raider you control. If you roll 4-9, you may move 2 Gnoll Raiders you control. If you roll 10-15, you may move 3 Gnoll Raiders you control. If your roll 16-19, you may move 6 Gnoll Raiders you control. If you roll a 20, you may move 9 Gnoll Raiders you control. After moving, you may attack with any 3 Gnoll Raiders you control, even Gnoll Raiders that did not move this turn.

AURA OF CHAOS
    When an opponent rolls the 20-sided die for a figure’s special power, if that figure is adjacent to at least 1 Gnoll Raider you control, your opponent must subtract 1 from that roll.

Updated OP.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:40 pm

I'm good with that change, although it is different than the 10 or so play tests that I was a part of. I really don't think it matters though. I was thinking these guys were borderline 50-55 anyways.

Derek, thanks for catching the missing "die."

So, here is the new card with the reflected changes. I did change a "your control" to a "you control" somewhere in there.

Derek S

Post  Derek S on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:55 pm

didn't know if you missed it for the card or preferred original wording, but

AURA OF CHAOS

Kai wrote:Cool.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:09 pm

Sorry.

I just missed it. Thanks for catching it. I am sure I would make a hundred mistakes without your eyes.

Try again?

Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Sun May 04, 2014 3:58 pm

First pass at BIO for the Gnolls:

==

Gnoll Raiders

Valkrill’s legion grows as he summons the Gnolls of Eberron to his sinister cause.  The jackal-headed Gnolls, with her dirty yellow fur and their savage countenance and wicked fangs have the perfect temperament for the general of chaos.  The Gnolls are known for their brutal methods and they have terrorized all races with their lust for blood and scavenging ways.  Well-muscled and merciless, the Gnollls are bullies and tyrants from an early age.  They constantly struggle even with each other over food, plunder, and power.  When there is a common purpose, or a common enemy, they can sometimes be rallied by a powerful leader, but they are far from controlled – merely directed down a path – weaving destruction in their wake.

Gnolls are naturally tall and strong, able to wear heavy plate armor and metal shields.  They prefer cleaving weapons such as battle axes, but are just as skilled with spears and their own talons can serve as weapons too.

Among the tribes there will be a few Gnolls that are share a latent demon heritage.  This demonic taint manifests in battle, when the Gnolls are whipped into their bloodlust.  The taint warps the battlefield, creating a mystical blight of confusion and misfortune for their enemies.

Last edited by Lord Kai on Mon May 05, 2014 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Sun May 04, 2014 5:26 pm

Sounds awesome to me. Well done, Sir Kai.
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Sun May 04, 2014 5:59 pm

Nomad wrote:Sounds awesome to me. Well done, Sir Kai.

Thanks for your patience while I worked on the Bio's.

We are looking good for release on Heroscapers!!!
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Mon May 05, 2014 7:24 am

bio looks good.
    Derek S

Post  Derek S on Tue May 06, 2014 7:49 am

The Book of Gnoll Raiders

NWHC WAVE 2- TAUNTING TIDE

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered
    - Dark Ranger : FERAL WAR CRY

As a Gnoll common squad, the Gnoll Raiders may benefit the Dark Ranger in their FERAL WAR CRY activation and attack bonus.

Synergy Benefits Received
    - Skull Demon: VALKRILL ATTACK AURA 1

As a figure that follows Valkrill with a Range of 1, the Gnoll Raiders may benefit from the Skull Demon's VALKRILL ATTACK AURA 1 ability.
    - Le-Orex: Lead the Pack
    As figures with the FERAL PACK MOVEMENT, the Gnoll Raiders may benefit from Le-Orex’s LEAD THE PACK 20-sided die enhancer.

Synergy Imposed
    -

I think all the books are done for Wave 1 and Wave 2. If I missed someone or something let me know.
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Tue May 06, 2014 7:34 pm

Thanks Derek!
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Thu May 08, 2014 12:02 am

OP Updated with Stats and Bio.

Nomad

Post  Nomad on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:34 pm

Gnoll Raiders
    NWHC WAVE 2- Reinforcements of the Taunting Tide - Pirates and Gnolls

PDF DOWNLOAD, front
    PDF DOWNLOAD, back

Figures: D&D, Aberrations, #51 Gnoll (C); D&D, Dungeons of Dread #31 Gnoll Maruader (C); D&D, Blood War #46 Demonic Gnoll Priestess (U)

General: Valkrill
    Planet: Eberron

Species: Gnoll
    Common Squad
    Class: Raider
    Personality: Wild
    Medium 5

Life: 1
    Move: 5
    Range: 1
    Attack: 3
    Defense: 4
    55 Points

FERAL PACK MOVEMENT
    Before moving, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-3, you may move 1 Gnoll Raider you control. If you roll 4-9, you may move 2 Gnoll Raiders you control. If you roll 10-15, you may move 3 Gnoll Raiders you control. If your roll 16-19, you may move 6 Gnoll Raiders you control. If you roll a 20, you may move 9 Gnoll Raiders you control. After moving, you may attack with any 3 Gnoll Raiders you control, even Gnoll Raiders that did not move this turn.

AURA OF CHAOS
    When an opponent rolls the 20-sided die for a figure’s special power, if that figure is adjacent to at least 1 Gnoll Raider you control, your opponent must subtract 1 from that roll.

Character Bio:
    Valkrill’s legion grows as he summons the Gnolls of Eberron to his sinister cause. The jackal-headed Gnolls, with her dirty yellow fur and their savage countenance and wicked fangs have the perfect temperament for the general of chaos. The Gnolls are known for their brutal methods and they have terrorized all races with their lust for blood and scavenging ways. Well-muscled and merciless, the Gnollls are bullies and tyrants from an early age. They constantly struggle even with each other over food, plunder, and power. When there is a common purpose, or a common enemy, they can sometimes be rallied by a powerful leader, but they are from controlled – merely directed down a path – weaving destruction in their wake.

Gnolls are naturally tall and strong, able to wear heavy plate armor and metal shields. They prefer cleaving weapons such as battle axes, but are just as skilled with spears and their own talons can serve as weapons too.

Among the tribes there will be a few Gnolls that are share a latent demon heritage. This demonic taint manifests in battle, when the Gnolls are whipped into their bloodlust. The taint warps the battlefield, creating a mystical blight of confusion and misfortune for their enemies.

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- N/A

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered

-Dark Ranger : FERAL WAR CRY
    As a Gnoll common squad, the Gnoll Raiders may benefit the Dark Ranger in their FERAL WAR CRY activation and attack bonus.

Synergy Benefits Received

-Skull Demon: VALKRILL ATTACK AURA 1
    As a figure that follows Valkrill with a Range of 1, the Gnoll Raiders may benefit from the Skull Demon's VALKRILL ATTACK AURA 1 ability.

-Le-Orex: Lead the Pack
    As figures with the FERAL PACK MOVEMENT, the Gnoll Raiders may benefit from Le-Orex’s LEAD THE PACK 20-sided die enhancer.

Synergy Imposed

- N/A

Last edited by Nomad on Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:24 pm; edited 4 times in total
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai on Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:28 pm

You have Apeo instead of the Gnoll card : )
    Nomad

Post  Nomad on Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:42 pm

oops - that is what happens in when you are in a hurry. I hope I uploaded the correct PDFs to Heroscapers.com.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:03 am