Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

4 posters

W3 Skerak - released

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W3 Skerak - released Empty W3 Skerak - released

Post  Lord Kai Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:24 pm

Here's a new Orc Warboss from Reaper Bones.

I am thinking of a new Orc Champion.  The "Warboss" is much larger than a normal Grut Orc so I am thinking of a high-point figure with strong stats.

W3 Skerak - released OrcWarboss1

W3 Skerak - released OrcWarboss2
    Nomad
    Nomad

W3 Skerak - released Empty Re: W3 Skerak - released

Post  Nomad Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:37 pm

W3 Skerak - released Skerak.NWHC

W3 Skerak - released Skerak2.Basic.NWHC

SKERAK

Figure: Reaper Bones, Orc Warboss (painted)

General: Utgar
    Planet: Grut

Species: Orc
    Unique Hero
    Class: Champion
    Personality: Wild
    Large 6

Life: 5
    Move: 5
    Range: 1
    Attack: 4
    Defense: 4
    110 Points

TROPHY LUST
    When Skerak destroys an opponent's figure with his normal attack, he must attack one additional time, if possible.

AXE HURL AND CHARGE SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range Special. Attack Special.
    If Skerak begins his turn unengaged, instead of moving and attacking normally, he may use his Axe Hurl and Charge Special Attack. Choose a figure within 4 spaces of Skerak to attack and roll 3 attack dice. If the defending figure receives one or more wounds from that attack, you may move Skerak up to 5 spaces. If Skerak moves with Axe Hurl and Charge Special Attack he must move adjacent to the chosen figure or on the space the chosen figure previously occupied. If Skerak ends his movement adjacent to any figure or destructible object, he must attack again rolling 4 attack dice.

Bio:
    Summoned from the primitive, savage world of Grut, Skerak is an orc champion and warboss of the most brutal kind. He plows through the battlefield raising his huge axe high in the air, flailing and chopping at all who come near, and even throwing it at those who don't. After battle, Skerak collects the dismembered parts of his victims and proudly attaches them to his fear-inspiring shield. Those who manage to dodge the vicious swing of Skerak's axe may face his fellow orc warriors, who are wise to stand clear until the powerful axe has completed its swing.

The Book of Skerak
    NWHC WAVE 3

- Rulings and Clarifications

With both Skerak's normal and special attacks, it states that he must attack again under specific circumstances. Does this mean you have to attack figures you control if there aren't any opponents to attack? Yes. In Skerak's lust for trophies to add to his shield, sometimes he gets carried away and he goes after friendlies.

So if Skerak uses his special attack and throws his axe to inflict a wound, what happens if he can't reach his targeted figure with his move of five? Then Skerak can't move to retrieve his Axe and can't attack again. Skerak must be able to reach the chosen figure to pick up his axe to continue with the special attack.

- Combinations and Synergies

Synergy Benefits Offered

Synergy Benefits Received

BLADE GRUTS / HEAVY GRUTS : Orc Champion Bonding
    As an Orc champion, Skerak may benefit from Blade Gruts and Heavy Gruts ORC CHAMPION BONDING activation bonus.

ORNAK : Red Flag of Fury
    As a unique hero that follows Utgar, Skerak may benefit from Ornak’s RED FLAG OF FURY activation synergy.

NERAK THE GLACIAN SWOG RIDER : Orc Defensive Aura 1
    As an Orc, Skerak may benefit from Nerak the Glacian Swog Rider’s ORC DEFENSIVE AURA 1 defense bonus.

DEATH CHASERS OF THESK: Taskmaster Bonding
    As a Large Wild Hero, Skerak may benefit from Death Chasers of Thesk's TASKMASTER BONDING activation synergy.

Last edited by Nomad on Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:50 pm; edited 14 times in total
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:22 pm

Bump.

Derek and I are both planning on getting this figure . . . let's start working on some numbers!

The Blades and Heavies need a new Hero!
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:55 pm

I have two that have been custom painted ... so one is for the Schafte side of the family : )

If each Schafte brother would like one, I can have another painted.

I am happy if someone else would like to take up the design for this figure .. he just seemed too much fun to NOT add to the Orc faction.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:01 pm

I would do a repaint that is less green and more blue . . . to match the Heroscape Orcs a little better. Just me.

I will start thinking about name/numbers/powers. I love the sculpt! And we need something new for the Orcs.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun May 04, 2014 11:49 am

I have some initial thoughts for this sculpt listed in the second post of the thread. Nothing hugely original . . . I'm open to any and all ideas.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun May 18, 2014 10:43 am

Bump. Any thoughts on Severnak?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun May 18, 2014 7:26 pm

Nomad wrote:Bump. Any thoughts on Severnak?

He's a solid design and uses existing powers, and I think that he's balanced with existing Orcs. He's stronger than Tornak but I don't know if I'd take him over Grimnak or Ornak.

Maybe a different power set would help differentiate him from the other Champions.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun May 18, 2014 10:54 pm

I'm totally interested in other power sets to differentiate him from the others. Based on the sculpt I couldn't think of any off the top of my head.

I would love to hear some ideas . . . I'll try to get creative, but this isn't my strong suit. Embarassed
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue May 27, 2014 11:53 am

The guy is pretty straight forward. Orc Warrior Enhancement needs to stay and Flailing Axe is appropriate to the Mini. I kind of like the simple design. If we wanted to spice things up a bit we could add a little Flair to the Flailing Axe power, but I can't think of anything. About the only thing I can think of is losing Orc Warrior Enhancement and making an intimidation or fear power.

Frightening Presence
    All opponents small and medium figures that are within 2 clear site spaces roll 1 less defensive die.

Would it be too much to keep Orc Warrior Enhancement as well? Maybe keep the defensive bonus but lose the attack bonus in Orc Warrior Enhancement?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed May 28, 2014 7:58 pm

I've given this guy some thought. I'm thinking that a squad of 4 heavy's are blades following this guy and his flailing axe special attack could be pretty amazing. Say, Severnak uses his special on a 2-3 figures, and then the heavy's come in with 4 more attacks . . . it could be pretty powerful.

Thanks for the input, Derek. Frightening Presence is already a power on the Skull Demon design, but I think it would work here.

How about the following? Think about how the powers would play off each other.

CRUSHING AXE SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range 1. Attack 7.
    If Crushing Axe Special Attack does not destroy a figure, Severnak receives a wound.

FRIGHTENING PRESENCE
    Common figures attacking Severnak with a normal attack subtract 1 from their attack dice.

drop Orc Warrior Enhancement.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri May 30, 2014 12:13 am

Really like frightening presence. Crushing Axe I like as well, but I don't quite get thematically how he receives a wound if he fails to kill the target. We could do a marker laden release and make it so that if he doesn't kill a figure place a (blue?) Crushing Axe Marker on his card, and he can't use the special attack again until he kills a figure, remove the marker- an Utgar enhanced axe that thrives on blood.

or you could keep this an addition to his normal attack and go something like this

BLOOD POWERED AXE
    If Severnak destroys a figure, add a (blue?) Blood Axe marker to his card. For every Blood Axe Marker on Severnak's card add 1 to his attack. If Severnak fails to destroy a figure, remove all Blood Axe Markers from his card. Start the game with 3 (or 4) blood axe markers.

Maybe still keep Orc warrior enhancement to match the other bonders.?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri May 30, 2014 7:11 pm

Derek wrote:Crushing Axe I like as well, but I don't quite get thematically how he receives a wound if he fails to kill the target.

My thought was that he would swing down confidently with his huge axe . . . if he didn't kill, the stupid orc would get flustered and take a self-inflicted wound, or, because he missed the skull of his opponent, the crushing axe would nick him on the shins are sever a toe on the follow through. This idea was loosely based on Ulfred's Grim Determination power. Coupled with Frightening Presence, this is a figure that needs a hero to defeat it. Plus, none of the other orc warrior bonders have a real big attack. I already have a bio started that would explain this.

I am trying to stay away from the original Flailing Axe design - other figures already have it. This is something new.

I can reinsert the Orc Warrior Enhancement power, but I thought you said that if we added a intimidation or fear power, we should drop it. I'm good with adding it back in.

I'm not overly fond of markers on cards. I'd prefer to stay away from it if that is OK.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri May 30, 2014 8:02 pm

You could go with:

VORPAL AXE SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range: 1  Attack:  6
    If Vorpal Axe Special Attack does not destroy a figure, Severnak receives a wound.

"Vorpal" blades in D&D are magical weapons that can slice off an opponent's limbs.  This would work with the miniature since his shield is decorated with severed hands, etc.

"Vorpal" is also the type of blade that Alice uses to slay the Jabberwocky.

I dropped the Attack to 6.

--
    And if you went with Frightening Presence (which is very cool) I would drop his Defense from 5 to 4.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:41 am

I guess it makes more sense then I originally thought. What do you think about choosing between Severnak and an adjacent orc to receive the wound if he misses his target?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:17 pm

Derek S wrote:I guess it makes more sense then I originally thought.  What do you think about choosing between Severnak and an adjacent orc to receive the wound if he misses his target?

That is an awesome idea, Derek!
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:22 pm

I like the idea of the Vorpal Axe and the using an adjacent orc to receive the wound or Severnak. Good ideas.

If the receiving a wound for failing to kill a figure doesn't make sense, we can drop it. It was just an idea to counter the use of a big attack.

We also need to decide if we want to continue with Orc Warrior Enhancement or not.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:38 pm

How about:

Range: 1 Attack: 6
    If Vorpal Axe Special Attack does not destroy a figure, place a wound marker on Severnak or on a friendly figure adjacent to Severnak.

If you keep the Orc Warrior Enhancement, then it encourages other Orcs to be adjacent to Severnak. With the order of bonding being Hero first, he can probably avoid chopping down fellows Orcs, but then he's taking the wounds himself. In the late game, he can bring Orcs adjacent so that he doesn't destroy himself ; )

The Frightening Presence will keep him alive a bit longer.

I could see it either way, Nomad ... you get to decide : P

Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:58 pm

I like the idea of orc enhancement with frightening presence (it is a little different than I was originally thinking). I think it makes sense for the wound to, I originally just didn't get it.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:43 am

Post #2 in this thread updated to the following . . .

Life = 5
    Move = 5
    Range = 1
    Attack = 4
    Defense = 4
    110 Points

Range 1. Attack 6.
    If Vorpal Axe Special Attack does not destroy a figure, Severnak or an Orc you control adjacent to Severnak receives a wound.

FRIGHTENING PRESENCE
    Common figures attacking Severnak with a normal attack subtract 1 from their attack dice.

ORC WARRIOR ENHANCEMENT
    All friendly Orc Warriors adjacent to Severnak roll an additional attack die and an additional defense die.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:44 pm

He's going to be a one vicious Orc Champion!!!

Sgt Drake RotV has a normal Attack 6 and 5 Life but he doesn't have bonding. Of course, he doesn't take a wound if he fails to destroy a figure ; )

Severnak is probably about 130-150 points with both Frightening Presence and Enhancement but we should play-test him as is to see how disgustingly powerful he is!

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:59 pm

Jacob pointed out to me that all of the orc heroes are 1-syllable-NAK. Severnak doesn't fit. I really appreciate his input.

What do you think about "Scarnak"? I'm very open to other ideas!

The more I've thought about this figure, the more I would like to include the shield of trophies that the sculpt has. Most everything stays the same except for removing the special attack, adding Trophy Lust, and increasing his life. Do Gruts really want to be adjacent to him to benefit from the enhancement?

Life = 6
    Move = 5
    Range = 1
    Attack = 4
    Defense = 4
    110 Points

TROPHY LUST
    If Scarnak destroys a figure with his normal attack, he must attack again. If there are not any adjacent figures to attack, Scarnak receives a wound.

FRIGHTENING PRESENCE
    Common figures attacking Scarnak with a normal attack subtract 1 from their attack dice.

ORC WARRIOR ENHANCEMENT
    All friendly Orc Warriors adjacent to Scarnak roll an additional attack die and an additional defense die.

I'm not sure which version I prefer . . . just brainstorming some more.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:38 am

I like the idea of Trophy Lust. It would be cool if there was a way to limit him to destroying a maximum of 1 friendly. I would hate to see him wipe out an opponent, kill 3 of his friendly Orcs, and then take a wound.

TROPHY LUST
    If Scarnak destroys an opponents figure with his normal attack, he must attack again. If there are not any adjacent figures to attack, Scarnak receives a wound.

I think just adding "an opponents" would do the trick.

Scarnak works. I wouldn't mind a 5 base attack- (just a thought here, not really pushing for it).
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:56 am

I like both of your suggestions. Thanks!
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:18 pm

TROPHY LUST
    If Scarnak destroys a figure with his normal attack, he must attack again. If there are not any adjacent figures to attack, Scarnak receives a wound.

I think the wound for not being adjacent to a figure is pretty harsh.  The first time you move him out of the start zone, he probably takes a wound. Do you want to follow Martial LaHire's Reckless second swing?

RECKLESS SECOND SWING
    When Scarnak wounds a figure with his normal attack, he must attack one additional time, if possible.

It would require him to attack a friendly if he wounds an opponent's figure first.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 pm