Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

4 posters

W3 Skerak - released

Nomad
    Nomad

W3 Skerak - released - Page 2 Empty Re: W3 Skerak - released

Post  Nomad Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:21 am

Perhaps it should be reworded. The intent is that if Scarnak destroys a figure, then he must attack again - only getting a wound if he destroys an opponent's figure and then has no one else left to attack. He wouldn't get a wound if he didn't destroy a figure first.

How about this?

TROPHY LUST
    If Scarnak destroys an opponent's figure with his normal attack, he must attack again. After destroying an opponent's figure, Scarnak receives a wound if there are not any adjacent figures to attack.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:24 pm

Derek wrote:Scarnak works. I wouldn't mind a 5 base attack- (just a thought here, not really pushing for it).

I would like to keep his attack at 4 for now. I'm not sure that Scarnak works for me. Varnak, Vornak, Gornak, Marnak, Rornak, Horseshack, Warnak, Wornak, Zornak, Zarnak . . . ? Any of these jump out at you.

I'm updating the 2nd post in this thread with the most recent wording of Trophy Lust.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:00 am

How about this?

TROPHY LUST
    If Scarnak destroys an opponent's figure with his normal attack, he must attack again. After destroying an opponent's figure, Scarnak receives a wound if there are not any adjacent figures to attack.

I like it, although there might be some confusion about attacking his teammates, but that could easily be cleared up in the books if needed.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:29 pm

We can tweak the wording for TROPHY LUST some more . . . or address it in the Q&A.

Kai, do you have any thoughts on the rewording?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:31 am

The way that Trophy Lust is written now, it seems that he wounds himself if he doesn't have anyone else to attack.  I'd be more in favor of borrowing Reckless Swing from Martial LaHire to keep it simple.  Or maybe there is a flaw that if Scarnak *can* end his movement engaged that he must do so.  This way he chooses to fight instead of land on a glyph for example, or he has to charge the closest opponent instead of running through the squaddies and going for the hero.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:20 pm

"After destroying an opponent's figure, Scarnak receives a wound if there are not any adjacent figures to attack," means that if there isn't an adjacent figure to attack he earns a wound only after destroying an opponent's figure.

It seems that the taking of the wound is an issue the way I have presented it. I will look into dropping it and reworking the powers on this figure. Thanks for the feedback.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:05 pm

After destroying an opponent's figure, Scarnak receives a wound if there are not any adjacent figures to attack

After destroying an opponent's figure, Scarnak (or an Orc adjacent to Scarnak, that you control) receives a wound if there are no opponents figures adjacent to Scarnak.

I think this would work for language as you intended it to be (with the adjacent orc thrown in.)
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:08 pm

TROPHY LUST
    When Skerak destroys an opponent's figure with his normal attack, he must attack one additional time, if possible.

Thoughts?

Kind of like La Hires power, but Skerak needs to destroy a figure before getting another attack. He takes no wounds, but could end up attacking one of his adjacent friendlies. And, since he doesn't take a wound in this version of the power, I'm dropping his life from 6 to 5.

Also, I'm changing the name to Skerak after hours of researching. Skera is old Norse for cut, slaughter, dismember . . . so I added a "k" to make it like Nerak.

2nd post updated.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:42 pm

Looks good!!!

And I like the new name. Nice job!
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:01 am

Kai,

Can you rename this thread for me? Pretty please . . .

W3 Skerak - Brainstorming

Thank you, kind sir.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:30 pm

Updated.

And all of the cards you worked on this weekend look awesome!!! Thanks for getting a jump on those!!
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:41 pm

Thanks, Admin.

I changed the TROPHY LUST power to TROPHY MANIA for PC purposes.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:33 pm

I've finally got the paint job done on Skerak and here is my attempt at the card for now . . .

W3 Skerak - released - Page 2 SkerakNWHC

W3 Skerak - released - Page 2 SkerakBasicNWHC
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:06 am

Fantastic Paint Job, and the card looks amazing!!!

.. and nothing like LARGE Orcs to shake things up.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:38 pm

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Skerak

THEME TEST: Are there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that do not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character should be able to do? Also consider whether or not this character's powers should affect destructible objects. PASS.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play? FAIL. He was a bit of tank – rolling across the bridge into Derek’s start zone and creating havoc (Derek was preoccupied with Grimnak). To be honest – Skerak was boring. Nothing new or original with the design.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying? PASS.

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable? PASS.

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game? FAIL. Similar points to Tornak, Ornak, and Grimnak. He is a glorified Heavy Grut with the potential of a double attack. Boring!

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately? PASS. Bonding with Gruts made him worthwhile to play.

SYNERGIES TEST: Think of all the current cards that would have synergy with the unit card. Are there any factors that could break the game by making a unit too powerful or too weak? PASS. The Davions lost numerous dice in attacks due to Frightening presence.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be overamplified and break the game? PASS.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting? INCONLUSIVE.

MIRROR TEST: Consider the test unit against itself. Are there any loops that would upset the balance of the Game? PASS.

ARMY TEST 1

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary. [insert pass/fail, point value, and brief summary] INCONCLUSIVE. He took out numerous Davions and a Warden, all without taking a wound. I chose not to go with Grimnak just to see what Skerak could do – and he did well, but understand – I was on fire with the dice.

Map: Bridging the Fields of Fire

Army 1 (Derek): Alyssa Davion, Michael Davion, Guardians of Davion, Wardens of the Wood = 600 points.
    VS
    Army 2 (Damon): Heavy Gruts x3, Nerak The Glacian Swog Rider, Tornak, Grimnak, Skerak = 590 points.

Battle Report: Derek rolled the dice fairly well – Damon was on fire consistently rolling 75% or higher skulls when attacking and at least 50% shields when defending. Grimnak chomped Michael Davion with a 19 in round 2. Skerak was tough and killed about 140 points worth without taking a wound. He was forced to attack one of the Heavies, but I defended.

Final thoughts: I would like to go back to the drawing board with Skerak. He doesn’t offer anything new – all of the powers are retreads from other figures. What is missing from a Blade/Heavy bonder? A different point breakdown than Ornak, Tornak, and Grimnak. Higher or lower? A figure with a big punch but some weakness? Stay tuned . . .
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:54 pm

You could go with a "Magical Weapon" approach for the Axe ... sort of like Thor's hammer - you can throw it and it boomerang's back and returns to Skerak. I went with a Blue Wyrmling style attack ... I think of the Axe flying out to attack someone and then on the way back to Skerak it chops at something else.

BOOMERANG AXE SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range: 4 Attack: 4
    Choose a non-adjacent figure within range to attack. You may also choose one other figure within 2 spaces of Skerak to be affected by Boomerang Axe Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for both figures. Each figure rolls defense separately. Skerak can only use Boomerang Axe Special Attack once per round.

INTIMIDATION 13
    After moving and before attacking, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, all opponent's figures within 4 clear sight spaces of Skerak roll 1 less defense die. Intimidation lasts until you reveal a numbered order marker.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:48 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Kai. Derek came up with a great idea based on your suggestion . . . and we play tested it a few battles on our camping trip.

Skerak will be keeping the Trophy Mania power and dropping the Frightening Presence and Orc Warrior Enhancement powers.

New power - Skerak throws his axe at a figure and runs to retrieve it. If he kills the figure, he gets to do it again . . . not sure about the name or the wording, but it played really cool.

AXE BARRAGE SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range 3. Attack 3.
    Instead of moving and attacking normally, Skerak may use Axe Barrage Special Attack. When using Axe Barrage Special Attack, Skerak may choose a figure within three clear sight spaces to attack. If Skerak destroys the chosen figure, he must move to the space previously occupied by the figure and may attack again using Axe Barrage Special Attack. If Skerak does not destroy the chosen figure, Skerak must move adjacent to the chosen figure.

Still some questions about the move after the throw . . . yes, he will take leaving engagement. But we haven't specified how much his move would be. Input requested.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:15 pm

Nomad wrote:
    New power - Skerak throws his axe at a figure and runs to retrieve it. If he kills the figure, he gets to do it again . . . not sure about the name or the wording, but it played really cool.

Range 3. Attack 3.
    Instead of moving and attacking normally, Skerak may use Axe Barrage Special Attack. When using Axe Barrage Special Attack, Skerak may choose a figure within three clear sight spaces to attack. If Skerak destroys the chosen figure, he must move to the space previously occupied by the figure and may attack again using Axe Barrage Special Attack. If Skerak does not destroy the chosen figure, Skerak must move adjacent to the chosen figure.

Still some questions about the move after the throw . . . yes, he will take leaving engagement. But we haven't specified how much his move would be. Input requested.

With Axe Barrage .. he can keep attacking as long as he destroys a figure?  If there is no upper limit that could be tough.  He could slice his way through Venoc Vipers or Ashigaru fairly easily.  Maybe a Once per turn limitation on throwing, destroying, retrieving, then attacking again.

So with Trophy Mania .. he can attack twice with a Normal Attack (but he might have to attack a friendly).  What about just making Trophy mania an extra attack .. this way it shortens Axe Barrage too.

Range 3. Attack 3.
    Instead of moving and attacking normally, Skerak may use Axe Barrage Special Attack.  Choose an opponent's figure within 3 clear sight spaces that is also on a space where Skerak could end his movement.  Skerak may choose a non-adjacent figure even if he is engaged.  After attacking, if Skerak destroys the chosen figure, he must move to the space previously occupied by that figure.  If Skerak does not destroy the chosen figure, Skerak must move adjacent to the chosen figure, if possible.

TROPHY MANIA
    When Skerak destroys an opponent's figure, he must attack one additional time, if possible.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:32 pm

That is a great idea! Thank you Kai.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:01 pm

Based on Kai's input and some deliberation, this is what I've come up with for now. The 2nd post in this thread has been updated and the bio has been tweaked. Input desired.

TROPHY MANIA
    When Skerak destroys an opponent's figure with his normal attack, he must attack one additional time, if possible.

AXE HURL AND CHARGE SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range 3. Attack 3.
    Instead of moving and attacking normally, Skerak may use Axe Hurl and Charge Special Attack. When using Axe Hurl and Charge Special Attack, Skerak may choose a figure within 3 clear sight spaces that is also on a space where Skerak could end his movement. After attacking with Axe Hurl and Charge, if Skerak destroys the chosen figure, he must move up to 5 spaces to the space previously occupied by the chosen figure. If Skerak does not destroy the chosen figure, Skerak must move to up to 5 spaces to a space adjacent to the chosen figure. If Skerak destroys a figure, he must attack one additional time with his normal attack, if possible.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:51 pm

OK, it has been over a month since my last post. I am going to assuming that we have no objections. We have done a couple of play tests already, but let's move this guy to play testing, what do you think?

If OK with all, Kai, can you change the title of this thread to:

W3 Skerak - Playtesting
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:46 pm

Like the changes and looking forward to finalizing this guy with a few more playtests.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:23 am

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Skerak

THEME TEST: Are there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that do not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character should be able to do? Also consider whether or not this character's powers should affect destructible objects. PASS.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play? INCONCLUSIVE. He took some wounds, held a glyph and dished out a few double attacks.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying? PASS.

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable? INCONCLUSIVE. In the two battles, Skerak was not able to pull of his special attack.

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game? FAIL. The special attack never happened. If I could have cleared engaged enemies with orcs, then maybe on my next turn, but Kai did a good job of staying outside of Skerak’s range of 3. Having the potential double attack, Kai was careful in how he engaged the big Orc.

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately? PASS. Tried bonding him with Deathchasers in these battles – a nice option.

SYNERGIES TEST: Think of all the current cards that would have synergy with the unit card. Are there any factors that could break the game by making a unit too powerful or too weak? PASS.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be overamplified and break the game? PASS.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting? INCONCLUSIVE.

MIRROR TEST: Consider the test unit against itself. Are there any loops that would upset the balance of the Game? PASS.

ARMY TEST

BATTLE 1
    Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary. [insert pass/fail, point value, and brief summary] INCONCLUSIVE. Skerak’s most valuable game was his first one when he took 3 wounds early and then held the Move+2 glyph the rest of the battle. In the second game, he got into the frey and took out a few Fusiliers while tying down Konrad, and then finally killing him.

Map: Custom by Damon that included RotV, TJ, RttFF, and BftU

Army 1 (Kai): Gorillitroopers x3, Kursus, Laglor, Black Wyrmling = 505 points.
    VS
    Army 2 (Damon): Deathchasers x4, Nerak, Ogre Pulverizer, Swog Rider,
    Skerak = 505 points.

Battle Report: Skerak grabbed the Move +2 glyph in round 2, enabling the now speedy Deathchasers to close ground quickly on the ranged Vydar Army. The Gorillitroopers couldn’t get height against Nerak and the orcs. Damon whittled down Kai’s army after a half dozen rounds or so and won with about 100 points left.

Map: Custom by Damon that included RotV, TJ, RttFF, and BftU

Army 1 (Kai): Konrad Von Bramgur, Shadow Slayers x2, Sacred Fusiliers x2 = 495 points.
    VS
    Army 2 (Damon): Deathchasers x4, Nerak, Ogre Pulverizer,
    Skerak = 480 points.

Battle Report: Konrad was able to place accusation markers on Chasers, Skerak, and the Ogre. The Chasers held the Move+2 glyph most of the battle. Skerak killed a few, tied down Konrad, and finally killed him. Kai had to be cautious in bringing in a Fusilier to provide support for Konrad. It came down to one Fusilier against a few of Damon’s figures and the Fusilier did well. Skerak finally fell, the Ogre fell to his own counter strike, but Nerak and the last Chaser pulled in out for a 68 point win.

Final thoughts: Skerak basically just has a potential double attack. His Axe Throw and Charge Special Attack is tough to pull off. There are also some wording issues that need to be addressed. I think he needs a few tweaks before proceeding. Stay tuned . . .
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:57 pm

How about making his power more like Samuel Brown's and incorporating the 2nd attack into the text?

AXE HURL AND CHARGE SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range Special. Attack Special.
    If Skerak begins his turn unengaged, instead of moving and attacking normally, he may use his Axe Hurl and Charge Special Attack. Choose a figure within 4 spaces of Skerak to attack and roll 3 attack dice. If the defending figure receives any wounds, you may move Skerak up to 5 spaces. If Skerak ends his movement adjacent to any figure or destructible object, he must attack again rolling 4 attack dice.

TROPHY HUNTER

With this version of Axe .. he has 4 range instead of 3 but must start his turn unengaged. If he wounds on the throw, he gets to run up and throw another attack. If he doesn't cause a wound he doesn't move - and could get angry enough to attack his own ally who foolishly stood next to him : P And using full Sam-Brown text, the 2nd attack is built into the power.

For Trophy Lust - I renamed to Trophy Hunter and clarified only 'normal attacks.'
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:02 pm

Sounds promising. Jacob and I are going to give him a play test right now . . .

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 pm