Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W4- Bellochar - FINAL

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W4- Bellochar - FINAL - Page 2 Empty Re: W4- Bellochar - FINAL

Post  Lord Kai Mon May 30, 2016 11:17 am

What do you think of adding a second power?

Either:

SHADOW MASTERY
    If Bellochar is on a shadow space, he rolls 1 additional defense die and 1 additional attack die.

or

LURK IN SHADOWS
    If Bellochar is on a shadow space, opponent's figures must be adjacent to attack him with a normal attack.

or

SHADOW AMBUSH
    If Bellochar starts his turn unengaged and on a shadow space, for this turn add 1 to Bellochar's movement and add 3 to his attack value.

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon May 30, 2016 1:35 pm

What do you think?

Force Flame Special Attack
    Range 5. Attack 3.
    Choose an opponent's figure to attack. Any figures adjacent to the chosen figure is also affected by Force Flame Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. Figures with the Lava Resistant special power are not affected by Force Flame Special Attack.

This would probably bump his points back up to 90?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon May 30, 2016 6:01 pm

Nomad wrote:What do you think?

Force Flame Special Attack
    Range 5. Attack 3.
    Choose an opponent's figure to attack. Any figures adjacent to the chosen figure is also affected by Force Flame Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. Figures with the Lava Resistant special power are not affected by Force Flame Special Attack.

This would probably bump his points back up to 90?

I like the concept of an Area of Effect Special Attack - and the Lava Resistant flaw is neat too.  It would make him more competitive but you could probably keep him at 80-points.

Maybe change the name to Eldritch Flame Special Attack.  

Eldritch is an Old English derived word used to describe that which is otherworldly, often by being weird, ghostly, or uncanny. The Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue also associates the word with elven things, but that connection has been shown to be a misuse or appropriation.[1] The word was often used in Scottish poetry and literature from the 1600s.[2] In the 1900s, the word became more widely used in English after gaining popularity in books by H. P. Lovecraft and C. S. Lewis.[1][3]

Army Builds:

Deepwyrm Drow x3 ... 210
    Bellochar ... 290
    Khorvairian Assassins x2 ... 470 (Shadow Assassins by Derek)
    Drow Chain-Fighter ... 495

or

Deepwyrm Drow x2 ... 140
    Bellochar ... 220
    Khorvairian Assassins x3 ... 490 (Shadow Assassins by Derek)
    Isamu .. 500

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon May 30, 2016 6:42 pm

How about Fashka Chath Special Attack, which, in the Drow language, means Force Flame? Or maybe just Chath Special Attack?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:05 pm

Here are the stats and powers that I'm going with to play-test this figure.

BELLOCHAR

Species: Drow
    Unique Hero
    Class: Arachnomancer
    Personality: Tricky
    Medium 5

Life: 4
    Move: 6
    Range: 5
    Attack: 3
    Defense: 3
    80 points

CHATH SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range 5. Attack 3.
    Choose an opponent's figure to attack. Any figures adjacent to the chosen figure is also affected by Chath Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. Figures with the Lava Resistant special power are not affected by Chath Special Attack.

SHADOW CAST
    All friendly Drow and Arachnid figures that are within 4 clear sight spaces of Bellochar are considered to be on a shadow space. Bellochar is not affected by Shadow Cast.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:52 am

I got in two play-tests with Bellochar, Pelloth, Drow x3, Chainfighters x2, and Elaria. I was crushed by Kai's Firestorm army and by Joseph's Mok/Axegrinder army.

I wanted to test Bellochar's new special attack but didn't get the opportunity. Kai's army was Lava Resistant and a huge figure in Shurrak led the charge into Bellochar. Mok and the Axegrinders took out Bellochar in the second round. I played Bellochar poorly in both battles. More play-tests are needed.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:22 am

Nomad wrote:I got in two play-tests with Bellochar, Pelloth, Drow x3, Chainfighters x2, and Elaria. I was crushed by Kai's Firestorm army and by Joseph's Mok/Axegrinder army.

I wanted to test Bellochar's new special attack but didn't get the opportunity. Kai's army was Lava Resistant and a huge figure in Shurrak led the charge into Bellochar. Mok and the Axegrinders took out Bellochar in the second round. I played Bellochar poorly in both battles. More play-tests are needed.

Why not give Bellochar Hide in Darkness, too? There is precedence with Darrak:

HIDE IN DARKNESS
    If Darrak Ambershard is attacked with a normal attack and at least 1 skull is rolled, roll the 20-sided die. If Darrak Ambershard is on a dungeon space, add 3 to your die roll. If he is on a shadow space, add 6 to your die roll. If you roll 1-15, roll defense dice normally. If you roll a 16 or higher, ignore all damage that would be inflicted by the attack.

--
    BELLOCHAR

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

80 points

CHATH SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range 5. Attack 3.
    Choose an opponent's figure to attack. Any figures adjacent to the chosen figure is also affected by Chath Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately.

HIDE IN DARKNESS
    If Bellochar is attacked with a normal attack and at least 1 skull is rolled, roll the 20-sided die. If Bellochar is on a dungeon space, add 3 to your die roll. If he is on a shadow space, add 6 to your die roll. If you roll 1-15, roll defense dice normally. If you roll a 16 or higher, ignore all damage that would be inflicted by the attack.

SHADOW CAST
    All friendly Drow and Arachnid figures that are within 4 clear sight spaces of Bellochar are considered to be on a shadow space. Bellochar is not affected by Shadow Cast.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:16 pm

Nomad wrote:I got in two play-tests with Bellochar, Pelloth, Drow x3, Chainfighters x2, and Elaria. I was crushed by Kai's Firestorm army and by Joseph's Mok/Axegrinder army.

I am assuming "considered to be on a shadow space" means the Drow get + 1 defense, right? Nomad - were you using that in our game? I know you were up against a few special attacks so you couldn't Hide in Darkness but they should have a + 1 defense too, right?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:48 am

I am assuming "considered to be on a shadow space" means the Drow get + 1 defense, right? Nomad - were you using that in our game? I know you were up against a few special attacks so you couldn't Hide in Darkness but they should have a + 1 defense too, right?

Yes, I was using the +1 defense as well.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:58 am

Play test report from Montana with Damon, Jacob, James, and Joseph. Bellochar got six games of play tests.

Deepwyrm x4, Bellochar, Pelloth, and Chainfighters x2 (Marro Warriors in one battle instead of chainfighters)

Head to Head
    My Drow vs Joseph's Axegrinders x4, Mok = Loss in a wipeout
    My Drow vs Joseph's Axegrinders x3, Mogrimm, Migol = Loss in a wipeout
    My Drow vs Joseph's Braxus, Greenscales x3, Marro Warriors = Loss in a close one
    James ran the Drow vs Joseph's 4th Mass x3, Charros, Thorgrim = Loss in a wipeout

3-way Battle
    My Drow with the Marro Warriors vs Joseph's Arrow Gruts x4, Swog x3, Krug, Mimring vs Jacob's 4th Mass x3, Charros, Thorgrim in a three-way battle = WIN! Joseph and I ganged up on Charros and the 4th. After knocking out Jacob, my Drow rolled to victory.

Team Battle
    300 points per player, fathers vs sons. Jacob ran Deepwyrm x3, Bellochar, Isamu and Joseph went with Thorgrim, 4th Mass x3. The Dads had me with Sneaks x3, Quorik, Tearik Drako and James with Migol, Mogrimm, Axegrinders x1. This was a blow out. The sons rolled to victory due mainly to the 4th and Jacob rolling hide in darkness with great ability.

Conclusion:
    Bellochar needs some tweaks. In all the battles he only got off two of his special attacks and rolled no skulls in both of them. He is a great support figure for the Drow, but still does not make them competitive. He falls far too quickly in head-to-head battles because he is the target. I think if we incorporate the Drider figure that provides some multiple turns with heroes and or a squad, Bellochar might be made better, but until then:

BELLOCHAR

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

Range: 1 (changed from 5)
    70 points (dropped from 80)

SHADOW CAST

CHATH SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range 5. Attack 3.
    Choose an opponent's figure to attack. Any opponent's figures adjacent to the chosen figure is also affected by Chath Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. (this will increase the likelihood of being able to use the attack)

HIDE IN DARKNESS (Good idea Kai, I'm going to include it to give him a chance at staying alive)
    If Bellochar is attacked with a normal attack and at least 1 skull is rolled, roll the 20-sided die. If Bellochar is on a dungeon space, add 3 to your die roll. If he is on a shadow space, add 6 to your die roll. If you roll 1-15, roll defense dice normally. If you roll a 16 or higher, ignore all damage that would be inflicted by the attack.

This should be close. Thoughts before more play tests?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:24 pm

I would keep him at 80-points because he is almost better than Heirloom with the Hide in Darkness, and Heirloom is 90-points.

BELLOCHAR

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

Range: 1
    80 points

SHADOW CAST

CHATH SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range 5. Attack 3.
    Choose an opponent's figure to attack. Any opponent's figures adjacent to the chosen figure is also affected by Chath Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately.

HIDE IN DARKNESS
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:18 pm

Someone on the Pre-SoV workshop had a power worded almost exactly like Bellochar.  Scytale had this comment, so we might want to consider re-wording:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showpost.php?p=2121743&postcount=1484

Or! keep it as a nice "side-effect" of the power.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:32 pm

I never thought of having the Drow travel over lava and really be on shadow due to Bellochar's power. We will need to reword this. Thanks for the warning.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:23 pm

I have reworded both powers. Bellochar can attack his own figures with his special and the shadow cast only works when defending. Thoughts?

BELLOCHAR

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

80 points

CHATH SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range 5. Attack 3.
    Choose a figure to attack. Any figures adjacent to the targeted figure are also affected by Chath Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. Bellochar and figures with the Lava Resistant special power are not affected by Chath Special Attack.

SHADOW CAST
    All friendly Drow and Arachnid figures that are within 4 clear sight spaces of Bellochar are considered to be on a shadow space when defending against a normal or special attack. Bellochar is not affected by Shadow Cast.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:27 am

Nomad wrote:I have reworded both powers. Bellochar can attack his own figures with his special and the shadow cast only works when defending. Thoughts?

BELLOCHAR

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

80 points

CHATH SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range 5. Attack 3.
    Choose a figure to attack. Any figures adjacent to the targeted figure are also affected by Chath Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. Bellochar and figures with the Lava Resistant special power are not affected by Chath Special Attack.

SHADOW CAST
    All friendly Drow and Arachnid figures that are within 4 clear sight spaces of Bellochar are considered to be on a shadow space when defending against a normal or special attack. Bellochar is not affected by Shadow Cast.

HIDE IN DARKNESS

Looks good. Do you want to keep Hide In Darkness?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:30 pm

Ha - I forgot about the addition of Hide in Darkness. I guess I haven't play-tested him since early July.

Dropping his range from 5 down to 1 which I also forgot (he still has range with his special). How about this?

BELLOCHAR

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

80 points

CHATH SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range 5. Attack 3.

SHADOW CAST

HIDE IN DARKNESS

Last edited by Nomad on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:38 pm

OK, I've been working on Bellochar's card with the three powers. The text gets pretty tiny - ala Chela, Richter, and Torver. I don't think this guy is that integral to go with tiny text or three powers.

Therefore, I am suggesting all the previous incantation and 70 points.

BELLOCHAR

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

70 points

CHATH SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range 5. Attack 3.

SHADOW CAST
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:36 pm

Nomad wrote:OK, I've been working on Bellochar's card with the three powers. The text gets pretty tiny - ala Chela, Richter, and Torver. I don't think this guy is that integral to go with tiny text or three powers.

Therefore, I am suggesting all the previous incantation and 70 points.

BELLOCHAR

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

70 points

CHATH SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range 5. Attack 3.

SHADOW CAST

Sounds good to me! 70 points is solid. He has a 'Shotgun' power and Shotgun Sullivan is 65-points. The Shadow Cast really helps the Deepwyrm Drow but they are over-priced in my opinion so I'm Good!
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:31 pm

Book and bio are done. Check out the OP.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:44 pm

I was pretty sure I had the repaint (I didn't do it myself), do either of you remember giving him to me. Can't find him but don't want to repaint if I have it somewhere.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:01 pm

This is from the original thread for this figure. I am pretty sure you have one.

Kai wrote:
    I am having Orgsbane repaint one for each of you : )

And we are considering doing another "Custom Contest" on Heroscapers.com - since the Marro contest was pretty successful (24 entries).
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:07 pm

Thanks, yeah I thought so, just need to find him.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:52 pm

Bellochar has been released on Heroscapers, 1/14/17.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:21 pm