Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

4 posters

W2 Aristeos - Released

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W2 Aristeos - Released - Page 2 Empty Re: W2 Aristeos - Released

Post  Lord Kai Thu May 01, 2014 1:13 am

Some interesting combos with Aristeos from the NW Customs:

As a Protector - he has synergies with the Guardians of Davion and Michael/Alyssa Davion.

His Nature's Aura works with The Wardens of the Wood who also provide a defense bonus with Ritual of Oakenshield.  Since Aristeos is a unique Ullar figure, he can combo with the Wardens as well.  Since Natura's Aura and Ritual of Oakenshield can stack -- that is two Ullar units that we'll release that provide defensive dice (albeit one is Ranged defense and the other is defense against anything).

... Aristeos adjacent to a Warden of the Wood would have +2 defense against ranged normal attacks (Defense 3 + 2 = 5).
    ... The same Warden of the Wood would have +1 defense against ranged normal attacks (Defense 4 + 1 = 5).

I certainly don't think that Aristeos & the Wardens of the Wood are a broken combo .. but they might need some play-testing together. Looks like the last Nomad play-testing included both Aristeos and the Wardens.

Army ideas:
    Aristeos ... 90
    Wardens of the Wood ... 200
    Warriors of Ashra x3 ... 350
    Emirroon .. 430
    Kyntela ... 450
    Arkmer ... 500
    = 500

With this build, the Wardens have 4 unique Ullar figures for their Strength of Ullar power.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu May 01, 2014 3:26 pm

ULLAR:
    Aristeos … 90
    Wardens of the Wood … 200
    Emirroon … 280
    Kyntela … 300
    Aubrien Archers x3 … 510
    = 510

versus

VYDAR:
    Laglor … 110
    Raelin RotV … 190
    MicroCorp Troopers (c3v) x3 .. 510
    = 510

I lead out with the Wardens of the Wood to have defensive positions for the Aubriens.  Unfortunately the MicroCorp Troopers with a Range 8 were able to take shots at the Wardens and with a 2/2 skull roll, the Warden went 0/4 on defense.  Archers moved up and rocked three turns in a row with 2 frenzies.  They picked off a few Troopers and angled to hit Raelin in the start zone for 3 wounds.  I have to say that the Archers aren’t great with just 2 dice – since they can’t leverage height advantage against the MicroCorp Troopers : P

By Round 2, Raelin was toasted (never moved) but the Aubriens started to fall.  I was consistently rolling 2/2 skulls with the Troopers for some surprising offense.  And another Warden went down with a whimper (guess that is the danger of Unique Squads).  Luckily another frenzy gave the Archers a double-turn to get into a nice position on height (only for defense at this point) but the Troopers with only a defense of 2 (or 3 with jungle), were falling quickly.  The Troopers ability to make 4 attacks (one as a Special with 4 dice) was starting to win the battle of attrition against the Archers (and there were no more frenzies for the rest of the game).

Laglor moved up on Round 3 and pulled a double-attack with Autoload Special taking out an Archer and giving his range boost to the Troopers again.  Emirroon moved up adjacent to the last Warden and Summoned Kyntela to create a pod of elves.  Aristeos moved up and managed a Flute Enchantment to remove OM3 from the Troopers.  This helped, and the satyr was a pretty solid assassin (Range 6, Attack 3 with the target losing a defense).

Ullar won initiative on Round 4 and I went all out with Aristeos.  Unfortunately he didn’t succeed at any other Flute Enchantments.  I had him positioned next to the last Warden so he was rolling 5 defense against Range but all of the Troopers were on Height (rolling 3 attack versus 5 defense, and the occasion 4 die Special vs 4 Defense).  After some bad defense rolls, Aristeos was taken down and lost OM3.  If I would have made at least 1 of my 2 attempts that round, it would have really helped.

Now it was up to Emirroon and Kyntela (since the last Warden was taken out).  Emirroon moved up – summon Kyntela for defense and cut down a Trooper.  This worked for OM1 and 2, and then I missed the Summon on OM3.  Kyntela went down and Emirroon started taking wounds.

Round 6 was over fast as Troopers took out the elf Wizard with some solid attack rolls.

Winner: Vydar with 190 points remaining (full life Laglor, full squad of MicroCorp Troopers)

--

Lessons Learned:
    The Wardens of the Wood are not well suited for keeping up with frenzying Archers : (

Aristeos performed well.  His Move 6 and Range 6 are solid, and with 3 attack, he’s a consistent hero.  His Flute makes him a fantastic Hero killer though … he’d be great against heroes that don’t bond – like the Majors, Cyprien, Kaemon Awa, and maybe the Hydra.  At 90-points he could really cripple an opponent if he had a hot d20 since his chance is basically 50/50.

How about dropping his life to 4, or making the d20 for the Flute starting at 13+ ?

Though I guess he can't use his power if he moves, so that has some limitations.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu May 01, 2014 6:52 pm

Kai wrote:
    Aristeos performed well. His Move 6 and Range 6 are solid, and with 3 attack, he’s a consistent hero. His Flute makes him a fantastic Hero killer though … he’d be great against heroes that don’t bond – like the Majors, Cyprien, Kaemon Awa, and maybe the Hydra. At 90-points he could really cripple an opponent if he had a hot d20 since his chance is basically 50/50.

How about dropping his life to 4, or making the d20 for the Flute starting at 13+ ?

Though I guess he can't use his power if he moves, so that has some limitations.

The thing with the flute is that he can only use it when he doesn't move, he needs to use it early in a round to be the most effective. As for Aristeos himself, you would have to use order markers to make him somewhat effective, which diminishes the opportunities to use the strength of your army. I found that he is good as threat more than anything else but he could be effective as a clean-up figure. He does provide that extra defense die, but he can't really keep up with an army because you would have to burn OMs on him. And, his own defense isn't super great, so opponents usually will try to take him out first if he is part of a pod.

I don't know. Let's do some more play testing. To me, his stats and points felt about right. Maybe dropping his life to 4 if he seems too powerful.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu May 01, 2014 8:01 pm

Yeah, the limitation to only be allowed to use Flute Enchantment if he does NOT move makes a difference. I don't think I used him that way for my entire play-test. That means he probably needs 2 OM's to just set up his power ... the first to move into position and then the second to be in the middle of the action already and not move.

Is a Range 4 for his power too short then
    ? Or is that part of the limitation to keep his points down?

And I think I'm okay with 5-Life. That lines up with Brandis Skyhunter.

Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu May 01, 2014 10:57 pm

In the couple of games I got in with Aristeos I thought he was about right as well. He never did seem to live up to expectations, but there was still some promise- but you have to give up a couple of order markers to get that promise, which ultimately hurt more than it helped.

If we wanted to reduce his effectiveness, rather than dropping his life, I could see Soulborgs being immune to the flute- as Kai pointed out the most powerful non-bonding heroes seem to be Soulborg (unfortunately a few lesser non-bonding heroes wouldn't benefit from this restriction.)
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri May 02, 2014 1:37 pm

After more thought, I am fine with the way Aristeos is designed/costed.

The restriction on the Flute Enchantment of not being able to move is a solid limitation. Dund is similar in that he can't move and then use Crippling Gaze .. but at least he gets to move after attempting Crippling Gaze.

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:40 am

Aristeos and I did a photo shoot this morning. Here is my second attempt for the card. I also changed the text of the Flute power. Feedback appreciated.

W2 Aristeos - Released - Page 2 Aristeos2NWHC

W2 Aristeos - Released - Page 2 Aristeos2BasicNWHC

I will have Jacob update the OP today.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:27 pm

Very good looking card. On the last line of flute enchantment, would this sound better?

If Aristeos attacks the same figure that he chose with Flute Enchantment this turn, that figure rolls 1 less defense die.
    Huskies16
    Huskies16

Post  Huskies16 Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:04 pm

How about this? We matched it the last clause to the Death Knights.

FLUTE ENCHANTMENT
    Instead of moving, you may choose a figure within 4 spaces of Aristeos. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-10, nothing happens. If you roll an 11-16 remove 1 Order Marker from the chosen figure's Army Card at random (or cards if your opponent has more than one Common Army Card for that figure). If you roll a 17 or higher, remove 2 Order Markers from the chosen figure's Army Card (or cards if your opponent has more than one Common Army Card for that figure). If Aristeos attacks the same figure that he chose with Flute Enchantment this turn, that figure subtracts 1 from their defense dice.

Bio:
    Bounding through the forests of Feylund, the satyr Aristeos was renown as a protector of the woods and a trickster of the those who entered. Ullar summoned Aristeos to provide cover for his fellow warriors of Ullar through his synergy with nature and to create havoc with his enchanted flute that, when the soft notes were heard, would temporarily put his foes into a state of drowsiness or even sleep.

Thoughts?

OP updated with new wordings, bio, and new card.

Derek, can you do your magic with the book for Aristeos?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:34 pm

Bio sounds good, so does the last sentence, and I should be able to do the bio in the a.m.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:42 pm

I'm going to try to get Aristeos up on HS tomorrow AM, along with Jean and Ellessar. Let me know if we have a thumbs up on the wording and the card.

Thanks
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:27 pm

Awesome, thanks for all the hard work on the Army Cards!!!
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:46 am

Thanks for the compliments on the card.

Jacob, thank you for the ideas and the initial design! Aristeos ended up very close to your original thoughts and he is great addition to our customs.

Well done.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:33 pm

I still need to do the books here and will get to as soon as I have a chance.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:58 pm

The Book of Aristeos

NWHC WAVE 2- TAUNTING TIDES

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered

-Otonashi: Tricky Speed 4
    Having the Tricky Personality, Aristeos may aid Otonashi’s TRICKY SPEED 4 ability.
    -Ullar figures: Nature’s Aura
    All Ullar figures adjacent to Aristeos roll an additional defense die against non-adjacent normal attacks.
    -Zogross Hardscale: Tribal Protection
    Being a Protector that follows Ullar, Aristeos prevents an engaged figure from attacking Zogross Hardscale.

Synergy Benefits Received
    -Elaria the Pale: Queen of Theives
    Having a Tricky Personality, Aristeos may benefit from Elaria the Pale’s QUEEN OF THEIVES 20-sided dice bonus.
    -Myrddin: Mystic Sacrifice
    Being a Medium Unique Hero, Aristeos may benefit from Myrddin’s MYSTIC SACRIFICE 20-sided dice boost.
    -Jean de Ascalon: When the Bell Tolls
    Being a Unique figure, Aristeos may benefit from Jean de Ascalon’s WHEN THE BELL TOLLS 20-sided dice boost.
    -Acolarh: Ullars Amulet
    Being a figure that follows Ullar, Aristeos may benefit from Acolarh’s ULLAR’S AMULET movement bonus.

Synergy Imposed
    -

Sorry it took so long, hopefully I didn't miss anything.

Last edited by Derek S on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Huskies16
    Huskies16

Post  Huskies16 Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:15 pm

Thanks for the book. Updated OP and on Heroscapers.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:57 pm

updated books with
    Being a Protector that follows Ullar, Aristeos prevents an engaged figure from attacking Zogross Hardscale.

The Book of Aristeos

NWHC WAVE 2- TAUNTING TIDES

Synergy Benefits Offered

Having the Tricky Personality, Aristeos may aid Otonashi’s TRICKY SPEED 4 ability.
    All Ullar figures adjacent to Aristeos roll an additional defense die against non-adjacent normal attacks.
    -Protector: Dimensional Leap
    Being a Protector, Aristeos may aid figures with the DIMENSIONAL LEAP placement power. Figures with the DIMENSIONAL LEAP power include Alyssa Davion, Michael Davion.

Having a Tricky Personality, Aristeos may benefit from Elaria the Pale’s QUEEN OF THEIVES 20-sided dice bonus.
    Being a Medium Unique Hero, Aristeos may benefit from Myrddin’s MYSTIC SACRIFICE 20-sided dice boost.
    Being a Unique figure, Aristeos may benefit from Jean de Ascalon’s WHEN THE BELL TOLLS 20-sided dice boost.
    Being a figure that follows Ullar, Aristeos may benefit from Acolarh’s ULLAR’S AMULET movement bonus.

Synergy Imposed

Last edited by Derek S on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:04 pm

Aristeos
    NWHC WAVE 2 - Reinforcements of the Taunting Tide - Heroes of Balearia

W2 Aristeos - Released - Page 2 AristeosR.NWHC  W2 Aristeos - Released - Page 2 Aristeos.BasicR.NWHC

Figure: Figure: Dungeons and Dragons, Under Dark, Satyr #022

General: Ullar
    Planet: Feylund

Species: Satyr
    Unique Hero
    Class: Protector
    Personality: Tricky
    Medium 4

Life: 5
    Move: 6
    Range: 6
    Attack: 3
    Defense: 3
    90 Points

FLUTE ENCHANTMENT
    Instead of moving, you may choose a figure within 4 spaces of Aristeos. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-10, nothing happens. If you roll an 11-16 remove 1 Order Marker from the chosen figure's Army Card at random (or cards if your opponent has more than one Common Army Card for that figure). If you roll a 17 or higher, remove 2 Order Markers from the chosen figure's Army Card (or cards if your opponent has more than one Common Army Card for that figure). If Aristeos attacks the same figure that he chose with Flute Enchantment this turn, that figure subtracts 1 from their defense dice.

NATURE'S AURA
    Aristeos and all adjacent figures you control that follow Ullar may roll one additional defense die against normal non-adjacent attacks.

Character Bio:
    Bounding through the forests of Feylund, the satyr Aristeos was renown as a protector of the woods and a trickster of the those who entered. Ullar summoned Aristeos to provide cover for his fellow warriors of Ullar through his synergy with nature and to create havoc with his enchanted flute that, when the soft notes were heard, would temporarily put his foes into a state of drowsiness or even sleep.

Synergy Benefits Offered

-Protector: Dimensional Leap
    Being a Protector, Aristeos may aid figures with the DIMENSIONAL LEAP placement power. Figures with the DIMENSIONAL LEAP power include Alyssa Davion, Michael Davion.

-Wardens of the Wood: Ritual of Oakenshield
    As a figure that follows Ullar, Kyrllin may benefit from the Wardens of the Wood RITUAL OF OAKENSHIELD defense bonus.

Synergy Imposed

- N/A

Last edited by Nomad on Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:03 pm

Aristeos has his own post on HS . . .

http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showpost.php?p=2001564&postcount=151

Jacob, you can update the OP by copying the previous post. Thanks.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:46 pm