Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W2: Gnoll - Le-Orex - released

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W2:  Gnoll - Le-Orex - released Empty W2: Gnoll - Le-Orex - released

Post  Lord Kai Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:35 am

FINAL - READY FOR RELEASE

Gnoll Hero v. 3

Reaper: Legendary Encounters - 20035 Gnoll Warrior

LE-OREX
    General: VALKRILL
    Species: Gnoll
    Type: Unique Hero
    Class: Brute
    Personality: Merciless
    Size: MEDIUM 5

Stats
    Life: 5
    Move: 6
    Range: 1
    Attack: 5
    Defense: 4

Special Powers
    LEAD THE PACK
    You may add 1 to your die roll when you roll for the Feral Pack or Wild Pack Movement power on any Army card.

CLAW SHIELD COUNTER ATTACK
    When rolling defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent figure, count any excess shields.  For each excess shield you may assign one unblockable hit on the attacking figure or an opponent's squad figure that is adjacent to both Le-Orex and the attacking figure.

HYENA'S TAUNT
    An opponent's Squad figure that ends it's movement engaged with Le-Orex must attack this turn, and must attack Le-Orex.

==
    Nomad wrote:

Anyways, here is an updated card:

W2:  Gnoll - Le-Orex - released Le-OrexNWHC

Besides all of the comments above . . . I just painted my Le-Orex this weekend - he looks great! Nice pick on the sculpt, Kai.

==

Le-Orex

The Gnoll warrior called Le-Orex is a distant descendent of the demon lord of gnolls, Yeenoghu.  As part of the demon bloodline, Le-Orex was blessed with greater intelligence and prowess than his kinsmen.  Rising quickly as a leader, both through brutal bullying and dominance in battle, Le-Orex led the gnolls and daring raids against humans and elves.  He even attacked a wizard’s stronghold, capturing talented weapon-smiths and metalworkers.  Under pain of torture, the smiths created better weapons for Le-Orex’s pack.  He also commanded them to make him a great shield and spiked flail that the demon gods had sent him in a vision.  The weapon and shield were tempered in his blood.  

Armed with his Claw Shield and Flail, Le-Orex continued his assault on the settlements of Eberron.  His attacks brought more gnolls, but other agents of chaos came to share in the ‘kill’ – orcs, giants, and trolls.  There was no grand plan, not strategy for the humans and elves to counter.  Brute force needed to be met with brute force.  In a grand battle, the Gnolls were pushed back by a great cavalry charge of elves of Valenar.  

Le-Orex, refusing to leave the battle, would have been slain if not for the intervention of Valkrill. The Kyrie general pulled Le-Orex and his gnolls to Valhalla to spread more strife and destruction in the Battle of All Time.

==

The Book of Le-Orex

NWHC WAVE 2
    -

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered
    - Le-Orex: Lead the Pack

Figures with the FERAL PACK or WILD PACK MOVEMENT powers on their card may be aided by Le-Orex’s LEAD THE PACK 20-sided die enhancer.  Figures with the FERAL PACK MOVEMENT power include: the Gnoll Raiders.  Figures with the WILD PACK MOVEMENT power include: Marrden Hounds.
    - Dark Ranger : FERAL WAR CRY
    As a Gnoll Unique Hero, Le-Orex may benefit the Dark Ranger in their FERAL WAR CRY activation and attack bonus.

Synergy Benefits Received
    - Skull Demon: VALKRILL ATTACK AURA 1

As a figure that follows Valkrill with a Range of 1, Le-Orex may benefit from the Skull Demon's VALKRILL ATTACK AURA 1 ability.

Synergy Imposed-

==

W2:  Gnoll - Le-Orex - released 20035

Last edited by Lord Kai on Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:48 am; edited 14 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated 4/21)
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W2:  Gnoll - Le-Orex - released Empty Re: W2: Gnoll - Le-Orex - released

Post  Lord Kai Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:43 am

Play-tested Le-Orex with adding +2 to Feral Pack movement with a REVEALED order marker .. but it just wasn't efficient or effective. So now you can drop the "X" OM to make sure that the Gnoll Raiders are at least getting a +1 to their roll.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:25 pm

I believe this guy is almost ready to go out of the gate after play testing yesterday. A few wording suggestions. What do you think about Counter Attack and Taunt only applying to common squad figures and not unique squad figures?

LEAD THE PACK
    If there is at least Order Marker on this Army Card, when you roll the 20-sided die for Feral Pack or Wild Pack Movement, you may add 1 to your die roll.

When rolling defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent attacking figure, all excess shields count as unblockable hits on the attacking figure or an opponent's common squad figure that is adjacent to both Le-Orex and the attacking figure.

HYENA’S TAUNT
    If an opponent takes a turn with a common squad figure that starts or ends its movement adjacent to Le-Orex, that figure must attack Le-Orex if possible.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:18 pm

I have a play test report to share, but I'm wondering about thoughts to my previous post:

Damon wrote:LEAD THE PACK
    If there is at least Order Marker on this Army Card, when you roll the 20-sided die for Feral Pack or Wild Pack Movement, you may add 1 to your die roll.

When rolling defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent attacking figure, all excess shields count as unblockable hits on the attacking figure or an opponent's common squad figure that is adjacent to both Le-Orex and the attacking figure.

HYENA’S TAUNT
    If an opponent takes a turn with a common squad figure that starts or ends its movement adjacent to Le-Orex, that figure must attack Le-Orex if possible.

Hyena's Taunt: The difference between adjacent and engaged I think should be intentional and could be significant. If Le-Orex is adjacent but not engaged with a figure who only has a range of 1, that figure could not attack. Or, we need to discuss this more.

Lead the Pack: I know we agreed to dropping the add 2 for the Lead the Pack to a add 1, but I would like to be sure on the record.

Claw Shied: Again, the difference between adjacent and engaged could be significant. I'm not opposed to adjacent . . . it makes Le-Orex slightly more intriguing, but could cause a whole new round of "wait a minutes." I, personally, would enjoy the wait a minutes because it adds a whole new twist. A FAQ would be necessary to help others understand.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:22 pm

Hyena's Taunt: The difference between adjacent and engaged I think should be intentional and could be significant. If Le-Orex is adjacent but not engaged with a figure who only has a range of 1, that figure could not attack. Or, we need to discuss this more.

I borrowed the wording from Tandros' "Combat Challenge" and his says "adjacent."
    http://www.heroscapers.com/community/gallery/files/2/5/7/7/tandros_787617_original.jpg

My version of Claw Shield is written a little differently. I have the defender counting excess shields and able to divide them up between the attacker and/or other adjacent enemies. Nomad's version could be read as only counter-striking one target.

When rolling defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent figure, count any excess shields. For each excess shield you may assign one unblockable hit on the attacking figure or an opponent's squad figure that is adjacent to both Le-Orex and the attacking figure.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:26 pm

Kai wrote:My version of Claw Shield is written a little differently. I have the defender counting excess shields and able to divide them up between the attacker and/or other adjacent enemies. Nomad's version could be read as only counter-striking one target.

I see the difference. Thanks for the explanation regarding Claw Shield. Your wording is better. What do you think about my proposal to make the counter working on only common squad figures and not unique squad figures?

Kai wrote:I borrowed the wording from Tandros' "Combat Challenge" and his says "adjacent."

I'm good with going with adjacent and I would prefer it, actually. Not that this would ever come up, but there is the potential . . . a Knight of Weston is 5 levels above Le-Orex (or Tandros), therefore they are adjacent but not engaged. That Knight is also two levels above a Gnoll. The Knight could not attack the Gnoll because it is adjacent to Le-Orex (or Tandros) but it couldn't attack Le-Orex (or Tandros) either because they are not engaged. Therefore, the Knight could not attack. I have never thought of this with Tandros. This works for me and I like it.

Nevermind the above. I'm just starting to learn how to play this game.

Damon wrote:
    LEAD THE PACK

Or we good with the rewrite of the Lead the Pack power? I believe this is how we decided to play him after our play testing on January 18.

Last edited by Nomad on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I had this originally ...

LEAD THE PACK
    If there is at least one revealed order marker on this card, you may add 2 to your die roll when you roll for Feral Pack or Wild Pack Movement on any Army card.
    .. but think this is easier, and in line with Khosumet.

LEAD THE PACK
    You may add 1 to your die roll when you roll for the Feral Pack or Wild Pack Movement power on any Army card.

CLAW SHIELD
    Tandros' Cleave power works against any Squad so I'd prefer to keep it in line with that.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:40 pm

From D&D glossary: Figures are adjacent when they occupy spaces that are next to each other, unless one figure's base is on a level equal to or higher than the height of the other figure. (Adjacency usually refers to friendly while engaged refers to unfriendly). see Engagement. So Engagement and Adjacency are the same thing, but referencing (usually) friend or foe.

After a quick glance, Shades of Bleakwook, Manauvi, Hoplitron, Earth, Fire, and Ice elemental all refer to adjacent figures. I am sure there are many more.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:54 pm

Oh my goodness. We've been playing the adjacent v. engaged wrong all of these years. I'm embarrassed, but I swear I read it somewhere. OK, adjacent works. A figure with height of 5 next to another figure on terrain 5 high are not adjacent, nor engaged. The only difference between the two is that engaged only means that the figures are enemies. Wow.

Please disregard the scenario I presented in my last post.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:16 pm

I haven't put any thought here or on the dark rangers and haven't commented. Both look good as far as design goes. In the middle of typing up something for Damon and Jacob's MLK tourney Alysha brought me a box (I had seen it but thought it was an order of checks. Much to my surprise it was the Gnolls! Wow! Wow! Very Cool! Thank You! They look awesome! The Minotaur is awesome! Is it Santa Kai making an appearance in February? Thank you. I will take a close look at the Gnoll faction after a couple of other designs get to final editing (sorry to drag my heels here but I want to get some of the older designs ready to be finished first- and I think these guys are close to ready anyhow.)
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:08 am

Derek S wrote:I haven't put any thought here or on the dark rangers and haven't commented.  Both look good as far as design goes.  In the middle of typing up something for Damon and Jacob's MLK tourney Alysha brought me a box (I had seen it but thought it was an order of checks.  Much to my surprise it was the Gnolls!  Wow!  Wow!  Very Cool!  Thank You!  They look awesome!  The Minotaur is awesome!  Is it Santa Kai making an appearance in February?  Thank you.  I will take a close look at the Gnoll faction after a couple of other designs get to final editing (sorry to drag my heels here but I want to get some of the older designs ready to be finished first- and I think these guys are close to ready anyhow.)

Awesome glad that the Gnolls made it through the SNOW!!!

And Santa Kai is around all year ; )
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:27 pm

Kai,

Can you post the line, set, and figure in the OP of this thread?

Thanks
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:00 am

Done.

Legendary Encounters 20035 Gnoll Warrior
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:22 pm

Damon I play-tested the Gnoll Faction:

Gnoll Raiders x4, Dark Rangers x4, Le-Orex, Raelin, Isamu = 500 points

v.

Heavy Gruts x3, Grimnak, Tornak, Nerak, Jean de Ascalon = 500 points

Great game! Gnolls won with 2 lives left on Le-Orex and Isamu (after 4 vanishes) remaining. Le-Orex missed out in the action until the later rounds, but proved to be a great closer.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:38 am

My tweaks . . . the only thing I changed in the powers is some capitalizing. The rest looked good to me.

LE-OREX
    General: VALKRILL
    Planet: Eberron

Species: Gnoll
    Type: Unique Hero
    Class: Brute
    Personality: Terrifying or maybe Merciless?
    Size: MEDIUM 5

Stats
    Life: 5
    Move: 6
    Range: 1
    Attack: 5
    Defense: 4

Special Powers
    LEAD THE PACK
    If there is at least one revealed Order Marker on this Army Card, you may add 2 to your die roll when you roll for Feral Pack or Wild Pack Movement on any Army Card.

When rolling defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent figure, count any excess shields. For each excess shield you may assign one unblockable hit on the attacking figure or an opponent's Squad figure that is adjacent to both Le-Orex and the attacking figure.

HYENA’S TAUNT
    Opponent’s squad figures adjacent to Le-Orex must attack Le-Orex.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:46 pm

Attempt #1 on Le-Orex's card . . .

W2:  Gnoll - Le-Orex - released Le-OrexBasicNWHC

Last edited by Nomad on Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed master card for editing . . .)
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:45 pm

Merciless Brute would be fine .. that matches the Horned Skull Brutes.  

Card looks awesome, by the way!!!!

But can we go with this version of Lead the Pack? Sorry I did not update the OP, but will do so now:

LEAD THE PACK
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:32 pm

Yep - I will change the Lead the Pack power.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:26 pm

Looks good.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:57 am

How does this look?

W2:  Gnoll - Le-Orex - released Le-OrexNWHC
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:28 am

Awesome!!!
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:37 pm

Looks great.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:06 am

The Book of Le-Orex

NWHC WAVE 2
    -

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered
    - Le-Orex: Lead the Pack

Figures with the FERAL PACK or WILD PACK MOVEMENT powers on their card may be aided by Le-Orex’s LEAD THE PACK 20-sided die enhancer.  Figures with the FERAL PACK MOVEMENT power include: the Gnoll Raiders.  Figures with the WILD PACK MOVEMENT power include: Marrden Hounds.
    - Dark Ranger : FERAL WAR CRY
    As a Gnoll Unique Hero, Le-Orex may benefit the Dark Ranger in their FERAL WAR CRY activation and attack bonus.

Synergy Benefits Received
    - Skull Demon: VALKRILL ATTACK AURA 1

As a figure that follows Valkrill with a Range of 1, Le-Orex may benefit from the Skull Demon's VALKRILL ATTACK AURA 1 ability.

Synergy Imposed
    -

Last edited by Derek S on Tue May 06, 2014 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:47 am

W2:  Gnoll - Le-Orex - released Le-Orex2NWHC

I missed a capitalization on Squads on the card . . . now fixed.

After the bio is completed, I propose that Le-Orex be considered as Final.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:41 pm

Looks good. Should Hyena's Taunt read

Hyena's Taunt
    If an Opponent's squad figure that is engaged with Le-Orex attacks, that figure must attack Le-Orex.

The way it currently reads if 5 figures were engaged with Le-Orex they all would attack.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:42 am