Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming

Derek S
    Derek S

W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming Empty W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming

Post  Derek S Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:21 pm

Kheir ed-Din, Barbarossa, or full combo
    NWHC Wave ? – Wave Title - Pack Title

W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming Rpr77132

PDF DOWNLOAD, front
    PDF DOWNLOAD, back

Figure: Reaper, Dark Heaven Legends Bones, Barnabus Frost, Pirate Captain

General: Utgar
    Planet: Earth

Species: Human
    Unique Hero
    Class: Lieutenant General, Captain, Pirate
    Personality: Daring
    Medium 5

Life: 6 (or 5)
    Move: 5
    Range: 1
    Attack: 4
    Defense: 3 (or 4)
    ? Points

PAY, DIE, OR JOIN
    When a figure attacked by Barbarossa or a pirate you control within clear site of Barbarossa receives enough wounds to be destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1-5 your opponent may reveal a numbered Order Marker to ignore any wounds received. If you roll 6-15 destroy the defending figure. If you roll a 16 or higher, destroy the figure and replace it with a previously destroyed common squad Pirate you control.

Character Bio:
    Copy text here.

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- N/A

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered

-Figure Name: Power
    Plain Text

Synergy Benefits Received

Plain Text

Synergy Imposed

Plain Text
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming Empty Re: W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming

Post  Lord Kai Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:33 pm

PAY, DIE, OR JOIN
    When a figure attacked by Barbarossa or a pirate you control within clear site of Barbarossa receives enough wounds to be destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1-5 your opponent may reveal a numbered Order Marker to ignore any wounds received. If you roll 6-15 destroy the defending figure. If you roll a 16 or higher, destroy the figure and replace it with a previously destroyed common squad Pirate you control.

Should this be:  "When a small or medium figure .... " so you can't destroy a Marrden Hound and replace with a Pirate, for example.
    Nomad
    Nomad

W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming Empty Re: W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming

Post  Nomad Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:58 pm

Do you want to make him Reckless, so that he bonds with the Corsairs. If not, his points will be much lower. I see the merits of both.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:48 pm

I do want him to bond with the Corsairs, but Reckless is not close to his real personality, so this is where I think a quartermaster may come into play a la Parmenio's disciplined. I also think there are some other Captain's out there that may not be Reckless. It is OK if he doesn't bond though. Without a figure for the quartermaster I don't know if I should proceed on write up, and then when suitable figurine found we release him, or just treat them separately and build any associated cost into the quartermaster at a later point. Thoughts?

Should this be: "When a small or medium figure .... " so you can't destroy a Marrden Hound and replace with a Pirate, for example.

I could see excluding huge, but I am not sure about that even. This is definitely something to discuss though. Perhaps placing the new Pirate adjacent to Barbarossa or a Reckless personality might help with the idea that a new Pirate is brought into their ranks, not so much that the Marrden Hound becomes a Pirate Marrden Hound.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:18 pm

Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:32 pm

I eventually want to do a unique squad of Pirates- all female, so one if not both of those will be used. The green guy could work with a paint job to his skin at minimum, although he could be a different race Pirate without any painting as well.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:03 pm

Here is the perfect figure for the quarter master (in my mind of what a quarter master might look like)

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/pbsk-027.html

I love the PAY, DIE, OR JOIN power . . . where did you get the Kheir ed-Din name?

I'm intrigued about placing the new pirate next to Barbarossa and seems thematic. I am leaning towards just doing small/medium at this point . . .

Are you finished painting him yet? Pics of progress so far?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:09 am

where did you get the Kheir ed-Din name?

Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa is the actual name of one of the Barbarossa "RedBeard" brothers.

Are you finished painting him yet?

Not done yet, I haven't worked on him in a while. I will post pics of him (where he is at) and the cowboy I have finished soon.

I do think that might make a good quartermaster and I already have the figure to boot.

Hopefully soon I'll get back to working on some of our customs, been real busy of late.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:51 pm

W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming Dsc_0612W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming Dsc_0613

This guy is still pretty rough, hopefully I'll finish him soon.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:09 pm

Wow!!! Looking good, Derek!!!
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:11 pm

Very sweet! A little black-wash should finish him up.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:49 am

W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming 52511W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming 52411
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:17 am

Looks good, sir!!!
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:39 pm

Unique Hero
    Class: Lieutenant General
    Personality: Daring
    Medium 5

Life: 5
    Defense: 4
    110 Points

PAY, DIE, OR JOIN
    When a small or medium figure attacked by Kheir ed-Din or a pirate you control within clear site of Kheir ed-Din receives enough wounds to be destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1-5 your opponent may reveal a numbered Order Marker to ignore any wounds received. If you roll 6-15 destroy the defending figure. If you roll a 16 or higher, destroy the figure and place a previously destroyed common squad Pirate you control adjacent to Kheir ed-Din, if possible.

This is where I think we have him at so far. I am not so sure his stat line is where we want it though, but I will start with the Quartermaster soon.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Kheir ed-Din is real close to the actual/historical name . . . do we want to change it to be something similar, but fictitious per Heroscape norms?

Unique Hero
    Class: Lieutenant General sounds too official for pirates . . . how about Captain or Admiral?
    Personality: Daring sounds too daring considering his power . . . how about Persuasive?
    Medium 5

110 Points

Some slight suggested changes in the text follows:

PAY, DIE, OR JOIN
    When a small or medium figure attacked by Kheir ed-Din or a Pirate you control within clear site of Kheir ed-Din receives enough wounds to be destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1-5 your opponent may reveal a numbered Order Marker to ignore any wounds received. If you roll 6-15 destroy the defending figure. If you roll a 16 or higher, destroy the figure and place a previously destroyed Common Squad Pirate you control adjacent to Kheir ed-Din, if possible.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:39 pm

Kheir ed-Din is real close to the actual/historical name . . . do we want to change it to be something similar, but fictitious per Heroscape norms?

You are right here.

Class: Lieutenant General sounds too official for pirates . . . how about Captain or Admiral?
    Personality: Daring sounds too daring considering his power . . . how about Persuasive?

Maybe his name becomes Admiral (Kheir ed-Din) with Pirate as class. Kind of like SGT. Drake being a soldier.

Personality- Persuasive might work and then Quartermaster power becomes any one with the persuasive personality is also considered reckless. Maybe?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:45 pm

I'm cool with Pirate as the class and either admiral/captiain in the title of the name.

Will the only way to get him to bond with the Barbary Corsairs mean that you have to draft the quarter master in your army? If so, I am wondering what the potential 450-550 army builds might look like. Will the quarter master be able to convert just pirate class heroes, or others as well (see quarter master's thread)? Does the quarter master add Reckless to any Persuasive figure AND get to change one other figure to Reckless?

Many questions, which could be quickly discussed if we were face to face.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue May 31, 2016 2:34 am

Bump for Wave 4
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:35 pm

Done painting the figures and card is ready to go. We just need to formalize some stuff to begin the playtesting stage.

My proposal after research and theorizing:

Kapudan Barbaros

Unique Hero
    Class: Captain
    Personality: Persuasive
    Medium 5

100 Points

PAY, DIE, OR JOIN
    When a small or medium figure attacked by Kapudan Barbaros or a Pirate you control within clear site of Kapudan Barbaros receives enough wounds to be destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1-5 your opponent may reveal a numbered Order Marker to ignore any wounds received. If you roll 6-15 destroy the defending figure. If you roll a 16 or higher, destroy the figure and place a previously destroyed Common Squad Pirate you control adjacent to Kapudan Barbaros, if possible.

I dropped the points by 10 because this would option would require the addition of the Quartermaster in order to bond with the pirates. We will need to define the Quartermaster's powers. But, I love the power for this figure!

Thoughts?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:13 am

Play test would be in order with the change proposed, and playtest in general. Not real fond of the suggested name. Look forward to seeing your less gold version on the paint job. Other than that the stats and powers are real close.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:38 am

Kapudan = Captain in Arabic, Barbaros = Red Beard in Italian understanding of the Arabic real name of the person in the 1500s.

I just went to the wiki, and this is what I came up with. Just to get the ball rolling.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:27 am

I painted the figures (Kai, I have one for you that Derek purchased for you). Here is the first attempt at the card, pending name/powers/stats/playtesting/etc.

W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming BarbossaPirate.NWHC

W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming BarbossaPirate.Basic.NWHC
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:12 am

You have "clear site" instead of "clear sight" in the text.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:51 am

Ha! Thanks for proof reading. The OP needs to be changed as well, or else I might miss it again. I will change the card.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:04 pm

Here is the version that I would like to start play-testing with (pending an acceptable name).

KAPUDAN BARBAROS

Unique Hero
    Class: Captain
    Personality: Persuasive
    Medium 5

100 Points

PAY, DIE, OR JOIN
    When a small or medium figure attacked by Kapudan Barbaros or a Pirate you control within clear sight of Kapudan Barbaros receives enough wounds to be destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1-5 your opponent may reveal a numbered Order Marker to ignore any wounds received. If you roll 6-15 destroy the defending figure. If you roll a 16 or higher, destroy the figure and place a previously destroyed Common Squad Pirate you control adjacent to Kapudan Barbaros, if possible.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 1:21 am