Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

Ursala, Dwarf on Bear

Derek S
    Derek S

Ursala, Dwarf on Bear Empty Ursala, Dwarf on Bear

Post  Derek S Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:10 am

I couldn't resist a Dwarf riding a Bear for $3.19.  Ursala, Dwarf on Bear Rpr77353

BORVUND

General: Aquilla
    Planet: Feylund

Species: Dwarf
    Unique Hero
    Class: Warrior
    Personality: Resolute
    Size: Large 6

Life: 6
    Move: 6
    Range: 1
    Attack: 4
    Defense: 4
    140 points

BEAR MAUL
    SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range 1 Attack 3
    When Borvund attacks with Bear Maul Special Attack, the defending figure rolls 1 less defense dice for each skull rolled. If Borvund rolls a skull with every die, the defending figure receives a wound for every skull, and cannot roll any defense dice.

WILD DISTRACTION
    All friendly Dwarf figures within five spaces of Borvund do not take leaving engagement attacks.

Character Bio:
    Copy text here.

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- N/A

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered

-Borvund: Wild Distraction
    All friendly Dwarf figures that start their move within five spaces of Borvund do not take leaving engagement attacks.  Dwarves include:
    Axegrinders of Burning Forge
    Mogrimm Forgehammer
    Migol Ironwill
    Darrak Ambershard
    Ulfrid Hornwrangler
    Shieldsmiths of Granite Keep

Synergy Benefits Received

-Axegrinders of Burning Forge: Dwarven Strategic Bonding
    As a Dwarf Hero, Borvund may benefit from the Axegrinders of Burning Forge Dwarven Strategic Bonding activation synergy.

Synergy Imposed

Last edited by Derek S on Fri May 06, 2022 4:36 pm; edited 7 times in total
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Ursala, Dwarf on Bear Empty Re: Ursala, Dwarf on Bear

Post  Lord Kai Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:47 pm

Okay, that is pretty awesome!!!
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon May 23, 2016 9:33 pm

I like the idea of another dwarf hero. Any thoughts on stats and powers?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:54 pm

little and lots of thoughts here. Maul, distraction for other dwarfs to leave engagement, inspiration, protection. Lots of room to explore avenues here. Lets throw out some ideas and see what sticks.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:30 am

Helping dwarves leave engagement sounds good!
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:06 am

BEOR VOLUND = Bear Eternal Fighter in dwarfish from on-line translator

My suggestion for the name:

BORVUND

Unique Hero
    Class: Fighter (like the Axegrinders)
    Personality: Resolute (like the Shieldsmiths)
    Size: Not sure - need to stack some tiles next to the figure

Attack: 5
    Defense: 5
    A Lot of Points

BEAR SWIPE AND SWORD POKE SPECIAL ATTACK (dumb name, but the here is the idea)
    The Bear hits first with an attack of 5, and then you get a second attack of 3. You must attack figures that were not adjacent when starting the turn. (These attacks could be diminished with each wound marker on the card)

TREMBLE IN FEAR (just a starter name)
    All friendly Dwarf figures that start their move within five spaces of Borvund do not take leaving engagement attacks. (The idea is that the defenders are preoccupied fearing the bear that the let those little dwarves escape from their grasp. This could be a huge power for all Dwarves - Migol, Morgrim, Axegrinders, and the C3V dwarves. The range of this power could be diminished with each wound marker on the card).

Nothing more - keep it simple, but powerful.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:36 am

BORVUND  Like the name

Unique Hero
    Class: Fighter (like the Axegrinders)  Fighter, Maiden, or any name for a female dwarf
    Personality: Resolute (like the Shieldsmiths)  Resolute, Indimidating, wild- lots of possibilities here

Attack: 5 (3)
    Defense: 5  With 6 life I could see defense of 4
    A Lot of Points

BEAR SWIPE AND SWORD POKE SPECIAL ATTACK (dumb name, but the here is the idea)
    The Bear hits first with an attack of 5, and then you get a second attack of 3. You must attack figures that were not adjacent when starting the turn. (These attacks could be diminished with each wound marker on the card)

CLAW AND SWORD SPECIAL ATTACK
    RANGE 1 ATTACK 5
    When Borvund attacks with the claw and sword special attack, she may attack one additional time with an attack of 3.

or

BLOOD SCENT SPECIAL ATTACK
    If Borvund inflicts a wound with her normal attack she may attack again with BLOOD SCENT SPECIAL ATTACK.  Roll 4 attack die, for each skull rolled, the defending figure rolls one less defensive die.

this would be with her having a normal attack of 3, and is kind of a play on maul

TREMBLE IN FEAR (just a starter name)
    All friendly Dwarf figures that start their move within five spaces of Borvund do not take leaving engagement attacks. (The idea is that the defenders are preoccupied fearing the bear that the let those little dwarves escape from their grasp. This could be a huge power for all Dwarves - Migol, Morgrim, Axegrinders, and the C3V dwarves. The range of this power could be diminished with each wound marker on the card).

Intimidating Presence
    All friendly Dwarf figures that start their move within five spaces of Borvund do not take leaving engagement attacks.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:10 pm

The Dwarf army does lack a Special Attack (unless they go Big with Mok) - so I lean towards Blood Scent Special Attack. Maybe a normal attack of 4 and then a Special Attack of 3 that reduces defense for each skull. You can follow the Quickblade's power:

LIGHTNING SLASH SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range 1. Attack 3.
    A Varkaanan Quickblade that did not attack normally may use Lightning Slash Special Attack. Defending figures that were not adjacent to this Varkaanan Quickblade at the start of its turn subtract 1 from their defense dice for each skull rolled with Lightning Slash Special Attack.

URSA'S MAUL SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range 1. Attack 3.
    Once per turn, if Borvund inflicts a wound with a normal attack, she may immediately attack with Ursa's Maul Special Attack. When rolling defense, the target subtracts 1 from the defense dice for each skull rolled with Ursa's Maul Special Attack.

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun May 07, 2017 10:45 am

I am good with either special attack - Blood Scent or Claw and Sword. It seems that the difference is with who attacks first - the dwarf or the bear.

Intimidating Presence sounds too similar to Frightening Presence from the Skull Demon, to me. Count Raymond has a similar power (Maneuver 9), but figures need to roll a nine or higher to ignore wounds. Maybe something similar to that?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:21 am

BORVUND  

Unique Hero
    Class: Fighter
    Personality: Resolute (like the Shieldsmiths)  Resolute, Indimidating, wild- lots of possibilities here

Attack: 5 (3)
    Defense: 5  With 6 life I could see defense of 4
    A Lot of Points

CLAW AND SWORD SPECIAL ATTACK
    RANGE 1 ATTACK 5
    If Borvund attacks a figure that was not adjacent at the start of the turn, she may use Claw and Sword Special Attack. After attacking she may attack one additional time with an attack of 3.

SWORD AND CLAW SPECIAL ATTACK
    If Borvund attacks a figure she was adjacent to at the start of the turn, she may use Sword and Claw Special Attack. If Borvund inflicts a wound with her normal attack she may attack again with Sword and Claw Special Attack .  Roll 3 attack die, for each skull rolled, the defending figure rolls one less defensive die.

WILD DISTRACTION
    All friendly Dwarf figures that start their move within five spaces of Borvund do not take leaving engagement attacks.

A couple of thoughts here, needs some clean up.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:36 pm

Two special attacks, depending on if the bear starts adjacent or not . . . I likey. I'll put some theory-scaping into it.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:40 am

Cool design. WILD DISTRACTION is a cool name.

I think the two Special Attack names are too similar and that could read as confusing.

Maybe SWORD AND CLAW is when Borvund starts the turn engaged and another name for when he moves into engagement (CHARGING BEAR?).
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:00 pm

BORVUND

Unique Hero
    Class: Fighter
    Personality: Resolute (like the Shieldsmiths) Resolute, Indimidating, wild- lots of possibilities here

Attack: 3
    Defense: 5
    160 points

BEAR CHARGE AND SWORD SPECIAL ATTACK
    RANGE 1 ATTACK 5
    If Borvund attacks a figure that was not adjacent at the start of the turn, she may use Charging Bear and Sword Special Attack. After attacking she may attack one additional time with an attack of 3.

SWORD AND MAUL SPECIAL ATTACK
    RANGE1 ATTACK 3
    If Borvund attacks a figure she was adjacent to at the start of the turn, she may use Sword and Maul Special Attack. If Borvund inflicts a wound with her normal attack she may attack again with Sword and Maul Special Attack . Roll 3 attack die, for each skull rolled, the defending figure rolls one less defensive die.

WILD DISTRACTION

A couple of wording changes and got rid of options (not that anything is finalized). Started the painting of this character, hopefully done soon.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:42 pm

What about changing the name slightly because the Sword part isn't part of the special attack? Also, I think that it could be a little clearer. Just some suggestions.

MAUL SPECIAL ATTACK
    RANGE 1 ATTACK 3
    After attacking normally and inflicting a wound on a figure that was adjacent at the start of the turn, Borvund may use Maul Special Attack. Roll 3 attack die, for each skull rolled, the defending figure rolls one less defensive die.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:06 am

Was thinking the sword part was the normal attack which needs to happen for special attack to occur. Definitely think your wording is clearer.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:13 am

OP updated, and what do you think of this?

BEAR CHARGE AND SWORD SPECIAL ATTACK
    RANGE 1 ATTACK Special
    If Borvund attacks a figure that was not adjacent at the start of the turn, instead of attacking normally, she may use Bear Charge and Sword Special Attack. Roll 5 attack dice. If Borvund is still engaged she may attack again by rolling 3 attack dice.

SWORD AND BLOOD SCENT SPECIAL ATTACK
    RANGE1 ATTACK Special
    If Borvund attacks a figure she was adjacent to at the start of the turn, she may use Sword and Blood Scent Special Attack. Roll 3 attack dice. If Borvund inflicts a wound she may attack again by rolling 3 attack dice and for each skull rolled the defending figure rolls one less defensive die.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:57 pm

I like the way the powers are written. Do bears have a scent of blood? Maybe. I dunno.

There is only one figure in all of HS that can attack with both a normal and special on the same turn . . . Mok. I was basing my suggestion for the title of the attack on his - Gunners Special Attack, which doesn't include the normal attack part in the name of the special. I am good either way and I don't think it matters at all.

But, I have reread your latest suggestion . . . they both become part of the special attack. No mention of a normal attack. Ah, got it. I like it.

I think we are ready to put this figure into the PLAY TESTING category.

Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:30 am

Not sure on blood scent.  Maul is where defender can't roll defensive dice, so name is open for change.  We could drop the sword part from the special attacks.
    Bear Charge
    Range 1 Attack 5
    If Borvund attacks a figure that was not adjacent at the start of her turn she may use Bear Charge and Sword Special Attack. Roll 5 attack dice. After attacking with Bear Charge, Borvund may attack normally.

Bear Swipe
    Range 1 Attack 3
    If Borvund attacks a figure she was adjacent to at the start of her turn and inflicts a wound she may use Bear Swipe Special Attack. Roll 3 attack dice. For each skull rolled, the defending figure rolls one less defensive dice.

I am not sold on anything here, but could see playtesting to see if she is a worthy addition.  For class I am thinking Warrior (like Ulfrid) and for personality Resolute.  Changing OP to reflect this.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:23 pm

Not to take this into a totally different direction but could you borrow from "Mok" to get the idea of 2 figures in one card.  You'll always have a "normal attack" with the Dwarf but then the Bear gets a Special Attack?  It is a way to have Double Attack of sorts.

https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=47038

GUNNER SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range 5. Attack 3.
    After attacking normally, Mok may attack with Gunner Special attack once for each Dwarf figure on this card. While engaged, Mok may target and attack non-adjacent figures with Gunner Special Attack. Mok cannot attack the same figure twice with Gunner Special Attack.

==

MAUL SPECIAL ATTACK
    RANGE 1 ATTACK 3
    After attacking normally, if Borvund inflicted a wound, she may use Maul Special Attack. Roll 3 attack die. For each skull rolled, the defending figure rolls one less defensive die.

BEAR CHARGE SPECIAL ATTACK
    RANGE 1 ATTACK 4
    Instead of attacking normally, if Borvund attacks a figure that was not adjacent at the start of the turn, she may attack twice using Bear Charge Special Attack. Borvund cannot attack the same figure twice with Bear Charge Special Attack.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:56 am

Not going a different direction at all, pretty close to the same idea as currently written. The Maul name doesn't work unless we changed our power to if "roll all skulls the defending figure may not roll defensive dice". I am wondering if we want to make the adjacent special attack conditional to inflicting wound or not.?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:26 pm

Derek S wrote:Not going a different direction at all, pretty close to the same idea as currently written.  The Maul name doesn't work unless we changed our power to if "roll all skulls the defending figure may not roll defensive dice".  I am wondering if we want to make the adjacent special attack conditional to inflicting wound or not.?

Doh forgot about the Deathstalkers .. yeah name change is in order : )
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:50 pm

Updated the OP with name of SA's and changed wild distraction to within 5 spaces instead of starting within 5 spaces. Borvund is getting close after several playtests.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:44 pm

Ursala, Dwarf on Bear Y4mZZiMo0sVexm7kzWxr6Wsxi8mA07LWqkvY267DqN06w2Ud644IUINNargESLoF6XpXHNCcli7gjdTtrUfEMnLTcSyD0_TUwYw8mz4Mpgl8LZ5_G4pBerNTd9w72tnyPFOxPLLt6_a2p2nhkIft30-Me1YN_T82YxaCwDPLsBmM4rKzT-HAAC15vN8KEYQp6-K?width=1024&height=961&cropmode=none

Ursala, Dwarf on Bear Y4mrOpOpKeABmW9oogZSsGjzLwhOcVe6AS8e6UQfh8PUTyag1gvq2u_lalYFSBg2yjILS8ks3EHpKA3DP2nHlez9hnd8nnph35Cbj_JM3DEo7sqvk4hhAh5xxmh4S4pDKR30m2XYB6wBsLVECL1VlvWI3_gkngmgvl0Am7X9o2-W2hADm_ssO7YgDUnmBz-rsbg?width=1024&height=966&cropmode=none
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:57 am

We had talked about upping points to 150. I would be okay with that.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:18 pm

Thinking she is too much. What do you think about dropping bear charge and making
    BEAR MAUL
    Range 1. Attack 3.
    If Borvund inflicts a wound with her normal attack she may use Bear Maul Special Attack. Roll 3 attack dice. For each skull rolled the defending figure rolls 1 less defensive dice.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 8:00 am