Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W4 - Obsidian Wyldfire - ready for final

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W4 - Obsidian Wyldfire - ready for final - Page 2 Empty Re: W4 - Obsidian Wyldfire - ready for final

Post  Lord Kai Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:58 pm

Bio:

PRIMORDIALS
    The Primordials: For over a century, a secret order of sorcerers of Eberron sought to master the arcane arts of elemental magic. The order divided their pursuit among five elements: Air, Earth, Fire, Water, and Wood. Members of the order researched rituals and spells that would help them harness and command their chosen elemental “school.” The highest ranking member of each school carried the title of Prime Master, or Primordial. The Primordials passed on their knowledge to different apprentices, and those aspiring magicians were dispatched on quests across Eberron and the other realms to increase the knowledge and power of the Primordials.

Recently on Valhalla, the Generals of each faction have summoned a Primordial of each Elemental school. Now armed with new methods of magic, the Generals are tasking the Primordial sorcerers to use their powers in the Battle of All Time.

VADIK HOLLESTURM
    From an early age and during his apprenticeship, the elven sorcerer Daelak, was fascinated by fire magic.  He was certainly a talented pyrokinetic, but his experiments to channel and control greater volumes of mystical flame often had disastrous results.  And playing with fire in a land where ancient trees were not just your home but were also sacred was frowned upon.  Daelak’s teachers guided him to other (safer) schools of magic.

While traveling with his master in search of new spell components, Daelak met the human wizard Anzunden.  There was a palpable magical connection between the two but, following the etiquette of his upbringing, Daelak remained silent.  As his master and Anzunden bartered over the ingredients, Daelak was surprised to find that *he* was traded by his master for a very rare, and once lost, tome on elvish herbology.  His master apologized but the recovery of the lore was too important to his people.

Before too much shock set in, Anzunden assured Daelak that this was not an indentured servitude.  He was actually being ‘freed’ from the closed minds of the elves and that his inner power would finally be realized.  Unsure of his future, Daelak now traveled with him new master.

Over time, Daelak came to understand that his new ‘lessons’ and ‘tests’ were just as much Anzunden learning from him as he was learning from his master.  And Anzunden quite enjoyed the destructive magics that Daelak had always sought to control.  With Daelak’s refined skills as weaving enchantments and Anzunden’s potent invocations, the two made an excellent team.  But as a human, with perceived little time to master magic compared to the more patient elves, Anzunden took many short-cuts to find more mystical power.

These short-cuts included bartering with other humans but also the dabbling of demon binding.  Daelak started to understand his role now – that he would provide protective magicks for his master and that his natural pyrokinetic skills would be used to control the hellfire that often accompanied a botched summoning.  The first few conjurations were a modest success.  New spells were gleaned by both master and apprentice but Anzunden wanted more.

The next summoning attempted was a successful, the capturing of a lesser named demoness.  That ritual was successful but she called for her lord to save her and that dark prince heard her call.  An eruption of hellfire consumed Anzunden and nearly destroyed Daelak.  The young sorcerer contained the unholy fire as best he could but it came by channeling the necromantic energies of his dying master.  The ritual, which was meant to take power from demon, was tapped to steal part of the soul of his master.
    In the fiery explosion that followed, Anzunden was incinerated and Daelak’s elven body was transmutated.  His face became sunken in, bearing a death like appearance, and he bore a burning halo of fire.  He was stronger and the mystical energies that coursed through him were a combination of human, sylvan, and demonic magicks.  

It was clear to Daelak that he was no longer an apprentice nor an elf.  As he was something different, he took on the name Vadik Hollesturm, using the language of his master.  Using minor glamours to hide his appearance, the now master sorcerer sought others to help tame his newfound powers.

In time, Vadik joined the Order of Primordials, though his elemental fire was markedly different than his fellow members.  In his time with the Primordials, Vadik found that he could create and increase existing flames.  He was also invulnerable to even the most extreme natural heat and fire, though in a dangerous experiment he learned quickly that he was not immune to dragon-fire.  

Though Vadik found his time with the Primordials to be fruitful, he was never quite accepted among them.  He continued to experiment with his powers and in his dabbling with binding and outerplanar rituals, he sought to create his own elementals.  As he reached out into the other planes, he was contacted by Utgar, a being of unique power from another world.  Vadik heeded the call and was summoned to Valhalla.

Vadik was impressed with the Arch-Kyrie and the world of Valhalla.  He could sense that his new leader was much like Anzunden, and therefore dangerous but also a source of knowledge.  Utgar granted Vadik lands in Volcarren to do with has he saw fit.  In return, Vadik would guard the Searing Pass and also seek the sacred Lava Stone of Volcarren to appease the Moltarns.

The primitive and superstitious Moltarns embraced the arrival of Vadik.  His halo of fire and his immunity to the harsh environment marked him as a sacred spirit.  Amongst them, Vadik found a new homeland and purpose.  Deciphering their shamantic rites, and combined with his own alchemical rituals, he created a process to transmute a Moltarn into a new form.  After being encased in magically forged stone and immersed in their sacred lava pool, a chrysalis would occur that transformed the Moltarn into a pure elemental form.  
    This new “Wyldfire” Moltarn retained its sentience and was truly a Living Flame.  

Many Moltarns volunteered to go through the sacramental transmutation from Obsidian Guard to Obsidian Wyldfire.  Though not as strong, the new bodies of the Obsidians could unleash their fire as jets of flame.  With practice, the Wyldfire guards could launch those flames a great distance but, as the ritual is still experimental, sometimes a Wyldfire loses control and tears free from its form.

With Vadik as their new spiritual and military leader, the Moltarns have rejoined the armies of Utgar.  Others have assembled in Volcarren now – with Brunak and Shurrak and even Moltenclaw joining with Vadik Hollesturm.  The Fields of Fire have been reinforced.
    Nomad
    Nomad

W4 - Obsidian Wyldfire - ready for final - Page 2 Empty Re: W4 - Obsidian Wyldfire - ready for final

Post  Nomad Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:59 pm

Obsidian Wyldfire have been released, 2/4/17
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:40 pm

What do you think about submitting the Obsidian Wyldfire to SoV? They seem to be only producing Unique Heroes and I think the low-cost of the Wyldfire and some good availability might give them a chance at induction.

Thoughts?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:29 pm

Are you sure you want to go down that path again? They might find something they don't like.

I like the Wyldfire and promise with Shurrak, Brunak, and Moltenclaw. I will be happy to submit them on our behalf if you would like.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:53 pm

Nomad wrote:Are you sure you want to go down that path again? They might find something they don't like.

I like the Wyldfire and promise with Shurrak, Brunak, and Moltenclaw. I will be happy to submit them on our behalf if you would like.

I know, right! The psychological damage probably isn't worth it. I love our customs work! and probably don't need the distraction. We just did such amazing work this time, and some of the S o V figures going in for review aren't nearly as cool as ours : P

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:19 pm

Well, let's do it. I think that they might be interested in Raeza as well . . . a ferocious dragon, anyways. There are others I think they might entertain, but they might be too much for the limitations that they seem willing to pursue.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:56 am

Nomad wrote:Well, let's do it. I think that they might be interested in Raeza as well . . . a ferocious dragon, anyways. There are others I think they might entertain, but they might be too much for the limitations that they seem willing to pursue.

Naaah, it's okay. Maybe someday I'll get to the Online Heroscape version of our customs but that will take a lot of time and effort. Rather spend it having a blast with you and the Schafte Clan.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:27 pm

Yes - my philosophy is that I want to create customs that we enjoy playing. If others want to play them, then great. I don't want to be worried about whether or not someone in Ohio wants to put his stamp of approval on it.

We need to decide how we want to proceed with the 5th wave. I will move the conversation to that thread.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:12 am

On Saturday, March 25, Derek played Wyldfire x3, Hollesturm, and Shurrak on the Thaechatka map (fire and ice).

Game 1 v Nomad's Aubrien Archers x4, Haduk, Venoc Warlord. Derek was rolling shields on defense and skulls on attack. Shurrak stormed into my start zone and crushed Haduk and the Warlord while little arrows were bouncing off him. The Archers frenzied once in many turns. This was a route.

Game 2 v Nomad's Kurrok, AEx3, FEx3, WEx3, EEx3. Derek didn't roll nearly has well this game. My strategy was to try to keep the Wyldfire off of the lava field to prevent the 20-sider bonus. Mission accomplished mostly. Kurrok only tried to rebirth Elementals a couple of times toward the end of the battle (successful once). The Elemental army came out on top with around 200 points left.

After the first game, we were worried that the Wyldfire might be too powerful, but Derek was hot with the dice. The second game proved the variance in Heroscape. Derek even lost attacks on two turns because of poor rolls with the 20-sider.

Fun army - nice design!
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:40 am

Nomad wrote:On Saturday, March 25, Derek played Wyldfire x3, Hollesturm, and Shurrak on the Thaechatka map (fire and ice).

Game 1 v Nomad's Aubrien Archers x4, Haduk, Venoc Warlord. Derek was rolling shields on defense and skulls on attack. Shurrak stormed into my start zone and crushed Haduk and the Warlord while little arrows were bouncing off him. The Archers frenzied once in many turns. This was a route.

Game 2 v Nomad's Kurrok, AEx3, FEx3, WEx3, EEx3. Derek didn't roll nearly has well this game. My strategy was to try to keep the Wyldfire off of the lava field to prevent the 20-sider bonus. Mission accomplished mostly. Kurrok only tried to rebirth Elementals a couple of times toward the end of the battle (successful once). The Elemental army came out on top with around 200 points left.

After the first game, we were worried that the Wyldfire might be too powerful, but Derek was hot with the dice. The second game proved the variance in Heroscape. Derek even lost attacks on two turns because of poor rolls with the 20-sider.

Fun army - nice design!

Excellent! I am really enjoying the Wyldfire! Playing them even for 1 game in our March event was fun. They were up against Stingers & Phantom Knights and they did well (though my Stinger opponent lost 2 turns attacking from failed drain rolls). It was an interesting match because it was Drain against Drain - but my Wyldfire had some lava tiles to get a boost to their roll.

And they look great on the battlefield with the awesome re-basing you did!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 10:55 am