Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W2 Stenvar - released

Nomad
    Nomad

W2 Stenvar - released Empty W2 Stenvar - released

Post  Nomad Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:44 am

Stenvar
    NWHC WAVE 2 - Reinforcements of the Taunting Tide - Heroes of Balearia

W2 Stenvar - released StenvarR.NWHC W2 Stenvar - released Stenvar.BasicR.NWHC

PDF DOWNLOAD, front
    PDF DOWNLOAD, back

Figure: Pathfinder, Rise of the Runelords, Stone Giant #39

General: Aquilla
    Planet: Feylund

Species: Giant
    Unique Hero
    Class: Guard
    Personality: Dauntless
    Size: Huge 8
    70 Points

Life: 5
    Move: 4
    Range: 4
    Attack: 3
    Defense: 3
    70 Points

GAIN HIGH GROUND 2
    After taking a turn with Stenvar, you may move Stenvar up to 2 spaces. These spaces may be up to 4 levels higher.

DAUNTLESS SUPREMACY 2
    Anytime you roll the 20-sided die for a Dauntless Army Card, you may add 2 to your die roll.

DAUNTLESS AVENGER
    When a Huge Dauntless figure you control is destroyed, you may place that figure on this Army Card. For each figure on this Army Card, add 2 to Stenvar's Attack value and 1 to Stenvar's Defense value. The maximum number of Huge Dauntless figures that can be placed on this Army Card is 2.

Character Bio:
    Stone giants, shrouded in myth and hidden in the clouds of the high mountains of Feylund, were the custodians of the crag, cliff, and pass. Stenvar followed his champion, Torver, to Valhalla through Aquilla's summoning. Stenvar often shadows and encourages Torver's exploits on the battlefield and is moved to avenge his fallen companions with monumental feats of daring and bravery.

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- N/A

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered

-Stenvar: Dauntless Supremacy
    Dauntless figures may benefit from DAUNTLESS SUPREMACY’S 20-sided die roll bonus. Dauntless figures with a 20-sided roll include: Torver, Greater Ice Elemental.

Synergy Benefits Received

-Gain High Ground Movement Bonding: Torver
    As a figure with the Gain High Ground Special Power, Stenvar may benefit from Torver’s GAIN HIGH GROUND MOVEMENT BONDING movement activation.

-Stenvar: Dauntless Avenger
    As a figure with the Dauntless Avenger Special Power, Stenvar may receive attack and defense dice bonuses when Huge Dauntless figures are destroyed. Huge Dauntless figures include Torver, Greater Ice Elemental.

-Warden 816: Guard Leadership
    As a guard, Stenvar may benefit from Warden 816's GUARD LEADERSHIP movement bonus.

Synergy Imposed

- N/A

Last edited by Nomad on Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:47 pm; edited 19 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated OP)
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W2 Stenvar - released Empty Re: W2 Stenvar - released

Post  Lord Kai Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:32 am

Stenvar is an awesome name : )

But for 70-points - 3 Life and 3 defense could be a risky investment.  I'm guessing you have him at 70-points to have a Torver + 3 Granite Guardians + Stenvar army at 500-points .. so you are keeping the stats down.

The stats are probably right for the point value but I wish he did more.  I don't know if you would invest an OM to move him up for Dauntless Assault, so you'd be relying on Torver to move him up with the Granite Guardians.  Maybe he provides an extra Defense Dice then?  

This is pretty cool though:

DAUNTLESS ENHANCEMENT
    Add 1 to your die roll when you roll for any power on a Dauntless Army Card you control.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:00 am

What would you say to a +2 for Dauntless enhancement?  Make this figure more like Sonya's boost for Cyprien?

Nomad wrote:Stenvar Torverson

General: Aquilla
    Planet: Feylund

Species: Giant
    Unique Hero
    Class: Guard
    Personality: Dauntless
    Size: Huge 8
    70 Points

Life = 3
    Move = 4
    Range = 4
    Attack = 3
    Defense = 3
    70 Points

GAIN HIGH GROUND 2
    After taking a turn with Stenvar, you may move Stenvar up to 2 spaces each. These spaces may be up to 4 levels higher.

DAUNTLESS ENHANCEMENT
    Add 2 to your die roll when you roll for any power on a Dauntless Giant Army Card you control.

AVENGER OF GIANTS
    When a Giant you control is destroyed, you may place that figure on this Army Card. For each Giant on this Army Card, add 2 to Stenvar's normal attack number and 1 to the normal defense number.

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:38 pm

Yes - I was wanting to do +2, but wanted to see feedback. I like that change. If it looks like his points are worth more than 70 to 80, I might want to drop back to +1.

The Avenger of the Giants is a cool power and I like it! I only wish the Greater Ice Elemental was a giant because Torver already boosts his Ice Spikes.

How about:

AVENGER OF GIANTS
    When a Huge figure you control is destroyed, you may place that figure on this Army Card. For each Huge figure on this Army Card, add 2 to Stenvar's normal attack number and 1 to the normal defense number.

I might need to think of a different name, but if someone is looking for a 70 point filler and they have a huge figure or two then Torver might be worth a whirl.

I like the twist to his name "Stenvar Torverson" and will consider it.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:08 pm

only wish the Greater Ice Elemental was a giant because Torver already boosts his Ice Spikes.
    Ooooh, Ice Spikes for the Dauntless Elemental getting boosted sounds Wicked!!!

You could have the "Avenger" power trigger for Huge Dauntless .. any Huge might be hard to explain but I think its cool as well.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:15 am

Neat start here. I personally like just Stenvar (Torver doesn't have a last name so I would like them to be the same.) What about, seeing how he is a guard, using a power like "if an adjacent (dauntless) figure receives one or more wounds you may instead place one wound on Stenvar- maybe give him 4 life. I like the Avenger Giant power but am not real certain that the power should go outside the stone giant species (per the bio and such I see these guys as being pretty seclusive and not real involved if they are a kyrie, human, giant, whatever.) I like the +2 on dauntless giant card. It is too bad this guy couldn't fit on a single space base so he could have the basic gain high ground power and be moved by Torver. Could/should Torver's power be changed to allow for it?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:07 pm

Updated the OP with your ideas and suggestions.

Kept the name the same.

Kept the Dauntless Enhancement power the same (I want the power to work with Greater Ice Elemental and future Dauntless figures that aren't Giants if we develop any).

Added, but renamed the Dauntless Avenger power. This way, he can place either Torver or a Greater Ice Elemental on his card.

Torver's card has been tweaked to allow Stenvar to move on Torver's turn.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:40 pm

Thoughts?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:51 pm

I like this guy. Hopefully he will get some PT in with me soon.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:54 pm

See the OP.

I cleaned up the wording on Stenvar's Gain High Ground 2, changed the wording on the Enhancement power to be similar to Sonya's, and changed the wording on the Avenger power to be similar to Seige's (I also added a bump to his move).
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:20 pm

looks good.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:21 pm

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Stenvar

THEME TEST: Are there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that do not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character should be able to do? Also consider whether or not this character's powers should affect destructible objects. PASS. All powers reflect the sculpt and the theme of Stenvar.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play? INCONCLUSIVE. Didn’t get to take a turn with him.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying? INCONCLUSIVE.

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable? INCONCLUSIVE. At the end, Stenvar had both Torver and a Greater Ice on his cards, bumping his attack by 4 and his move and defense by 2 each. Unfortunately, Stenvar was killed before he could take a turn. Stenvar only had the chance to boost Ice Spikes once and Boulder Throw once, but it didn’t help the rolls.

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game? PASS. Stenvar is a cheerleader for sure. His stats looked pretty nice after the GIE and Torver were killed.

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately? PASS. No bonding loops.

SYNERGIES TEST: Think of all the current cards that would have synergy with the unit card. Are there any factors that could break the game by making a unit too powerful or too weak? PASS.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be overamplified and break the game? INCONCLUSIVE.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting? INCONCLUSIVE.

MIRROR TEST: Consider the test unit against itself. Are there any loops that would upset the balance of the Game? PASS.

ARMY TEST 1

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary. [insert pass/fail, point value, and brief summary] Not sure yet. At the end, Stenvar had both Torver and a Greater Ice on his cards, bumping his attack by 4 and his move and defense by 2 each. Unfortunately, Stenvar was killed before he could take a turn. Stenvar only had the chance to boost Ice Spikes once and Boulder Throw once, but it didn’t help the rolls.

Map: Crytos Maw

Units:

Army 1: Granite Guardians x2, Torver, Greater Ice Elemental, Stenvar = 530 points

VS

Army 2: Q-9, Raelin v1, Rats x2, Stingers x3, Isamu = 530 points.

Rd 1. Rats did their thing on the first two OMs. Gaining the Lucky 20-sider glyph and keeping it with a Scatter after one died from a GG attack. On OM #3, a successful Stinger drain and 10/12 skulls placed 2 wounds on Torver, who had gained the highest ground in the far center of the map.

Rd 2. Stingers win initiative, drain, and promptly kill Torver (who now is on Stenvar’s card) . . . and Team Dauntless loses an OM. GGs defend against three Stingers and then kill 2 Rats. On OM #3, the Stingers drain again, kill a GG and place 2 wounds on the Greater Ice while the GGs kills 2 more Rats.

Rd 3. Stingers kill a GG while the Greater Ice takes out a Stinger and heals. The Stingers drain and roll 3 skulls, killing the Greater Ice who whiffed . . . and they kill two GGs. The Greater Ice goes on Stenvar’s card (now has attack of 7, move of 6, and defense of 5!). Team Dauntless lost another OM. On OM#3, drain fails and a Stinger must die. The GGs close the round by killing a rat.

Rd 4. All OMs on Stenvar – time to see what he can do. Stingers win initiative and roll 5 of 8 skulls while Stenvar rolls 2 of 10 shields. Stenvar is dead without a turn – all OMs lost. The Stingers take the rest of the round to wipe out the rest of the GGs for victory.

Final thoughts: Time for a rematch. The A+ team had 430 points left. Q-9, Raelin, a squad of Stingers, and Isamu did not move. Yikes!
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:58 pm

I would bump his Life to 5. He's 70 points compared to Sonya with 3 Life at 45 points. They both provide a +2 to d20 rolls but she also has Life Drain and Flying. Stenvar only gets more powerful when you have lost figures ... so it should be balanced. And this way - you don't feel bad moving him up with Gain the High Ground to at least staying up with the troops.

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:11 pm

I agree that Stenvar is too flimsy. Martial LaHire is the only other unique at 70 points and he is a 4 by 4 with 5 lives and a potential double attack.

What do you think? Either bump his life to 5 or keep it the same and give him Rock Tough (auto shield) just like Torver? This would give him 4 powers on his card though. They are all pretty short, so it would fit. But do we go to 4 powers with him?

Anyways, wait until you read the battle report for the rematch! EPIC!
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:12 pm

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Stenvar

THEME TEST: Are there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that do not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character should be able to do? Also consider whether or not this character's powers should affect destructible objects. PASS.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play? FAIL. Got to take a couple of turns with him, but he died too early.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying? PASS.

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable? INCONCLUSIVE. Stenvar had the Greater Ice on his card and managed to get an attack in with the boosted stats, but that is all. He did have the chance to bump a couple of Torver throws and did make the difference with his +1 to help the Greater Ice’s Spikes which killed Stinger who stupidly tried to engage.

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game? PASS. Could be an nice addition to the Dauntless faction if only he could hang around a little longer.

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately? PASS.

SYNERGIES TEST: Think of all the current cards that would have synergy with the unit card. Are there any factors that could break the game by making a unit too powerful or too weak? PASS.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be overamplified and break the game? PASS.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting? FAIL – he needs more staying power.

MIRROR TEST: Consider the test unit against itself. Are there any loops that would upset the balance of the Game? PASS.

ARMY TEST 1 – This was as much fun I’ve had with HS in months! And I was playing myself.

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary. [insert pass/fail, point value, and brief summary] FAIL. Stenvar needs more staying power – considering a bump in life or getting the Rock Tough power, which I would prefer to be like Torver.

Map: Crytos Maw

Units:

Army 1: Granite Guardians x2, Torver, Greater Ice Elemental, Stenvar = 530 points

VS

Rd 1. Rats move out and take the Unique Attack +1 glyph in the ice well on the right. Stingers kill a GG on OM#3. Torver, GGs, and the Greater Ice all move out and up from the start zone.

Rd 2. Stingers win and move to attack, one dies from trying to engage the Greater Ice’s spikes (Stenvar’s +1 20-sider was just enough). The Greater Ice kills a Rat on the glyph, only to have another regain it with Scatter. The Stingers kill a GG and place 3 wound on the Greater Ice. Torver tosses a GG for no effect, but kills a Stinger with his spear. The Stingers drain and kill the Greater Ice and another GG. The GGs end the round by doing nothing with their attacks.

Rd 3. The GGs move toward Raelin and Q-9 in the start zone and manage to kill a Stinger, who respond with killing a GG and wounding Stenvar. A boosted Stenvar kills a Rat, while the Stingers place a 2nd wound on Stenvar. The GGs take out another Stinger but they respond by taking out a GG and killing Stenvar. So much for the play test, but I’ll play this out.

Rd 4. The Stingers kill the last GGs and place a wound on Torver – looks like the route is on again. Dauntless lost OM#1 – did I say route? It is Torver v. about 400 points of an A+ army. Torver defends against 3 Stinger attacks. Torver kills a Rat. Torver defends against 3 Stinger attacks. Torver kills a Stinger. That auto shield is nice.

Rd 5. Torver kills a Stinger, and then defends against them. Torver kills a Rat, and then defends against the Stinger-drained Stingers. Torver kills another Stinger while Raelin moves up to offer protection.

Rd 6.  Stingers can’t make headway against Torver, who tosses a Rat to its death, but whiffs in his attack. Torver defends again and then tosses a Stinger for no wounds and whiffs his attack again. Q-9 moves up but can’t see Torver behind the glacier. Torver can’t kill the Raelin boosted Stingers.

Rd 7. Torver whiffs again, but defends against the Stingers. Torver kills a Stinger and defends. Did I say that Rock Tough is great against low attack commons? Torver kills yet another Stinger and then defends with height against 3 Queglix attacks from Q-9.

Rd 8. Torver brushes the Queglix aside and tosses a Stinger to clear a path but fails on his spear throw at Raelin. Q-9 moves up and engages Torver. Q-9 is giving up height, but he is in Raelin’s protection. No more throwing for Torver. Giant v. Machine – let’s see what happens. Queglix fails. Torver slams Q-9 with a perfect 5/5 skull roll, but Q-9 rolls 5/9 shields. Queglix fails, Q9 defends.

Rd 9. Q-9 manages to sneak in a wound on Torver (his 2nd) with the Queglix. Torver slams a 4/5 skull roll for a wound on Q-9. Torver defends and then gets another wound on Q-9. Q-9 wounds Torver and then defends. They both have 2 lives left.

Rd 10. Torver defends a 3/3 skull Queglix attack and then promptly slams 4/5 skulls on Q-9, who only managed to roll 2/9 shields. Q-9 is dead! And so are OM #2 and #3. Smelling blood, Torver leaves his perch to pursue Raelin. Torver throws Raelin for a wound and attacks for another to close out the round, and then regains high ground from whence Raelin once stood.

Rd 11. The last Stinger takes the Unique +1 glyph while Torver defends his measly attack. Torver rolls 3 skulls on Raelin, who graciously whiffed and died. The A+ team lost an OM. Isamu vanishes from a Torver attack. The Stinger makes no dent. Torver jumps into the ice well on the right, tosses the Stinger, kills a Rat, and gains the glyph with his Gain High Ground power. Man, I am starting to really like this giant.

Rd 12. The last Stinger climbs to height on Torver, tries his drain but rolls a 4 and promptly kicks the bucket. Torver tosses the last Rat but fails to wound him, but finishes the poor rodent with a 4/5 skull roll. Isamu moves to height, only to have Torver throw 2 skulls at him . . . no vanish this time with a roll of 6. Game over.

Final thoughts: What fun! Team Dauntless had 52 points and two lives left with Torver. What a beast! Torver killed a total of 430 points. Down with those nasty A+ figures. Time for another rematch, but I’ll be switching maps and making some changes to Stenvar so that he has some staying power. Thanks for reading.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:58 am

Sounds fun, I'll give him a whirl some time this week.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:00 am

WOW!  Go TORVER!!!

Awesome report!!!  And I love those solo playtests that no one is there to witness the glory!  : )

Yeah, definitely bump Stenvar's life to 5.

W2 Stenvar - released 93dc19af3431fd45
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:47 pm

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Stenvar, with life bumped to 5.

THEME TEST: Are there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that do not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character should be able to do? Also consider whether or not this character's powers should affect destructible objects. PASS.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play? INCONCLUSIVE. Stenvar marched right up the hill behind Torver, but didn’t really do much besides provide a screen. I still need how to play him best.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying? PASS.

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable? PASS. Stenvar died before either Torver or the Greater Ice, so I didn’t see his boost in action. He did boost 1 of Torver’s 20-siders enough to help and he did kill a Stinger. All powers were usable.

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game? PASS. Could be an nice addition to the Dauntless faction. He did last longer with life of 5, providing a nice screen for Torver from Stingers trying to flank.

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately? PASS.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be overamplified and break the game? PASS.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting? PASS, but he is a tough nut to crack in terms of how to get the most benefit.

ARMY TEST 1

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary. [insert pass/fail, point value, and brief summary] PASS. His bonus and an attack results in 40 points of enemy death, but as a screen for delaying attacks on Torver, he may have added as many points in protection.

Map: Jungle Hill (the perfect map for Gain High Ground units).

Units:

VS

Rd 1. In a change of pace, A+ team sends Q-9 out, followed and passed by Rats, who engage Torver but there is no need to even bothering with an attack. Torver and the GGs quickly ascend the hill. On OM#3, Torver kills a Rat while 3 GGs line-up to be tossed at the enemy.

Rd 2. Torver tosses a Rat but misses an attack. Q-9 climbs up the hill and rolls 5/9 skulls with the Queglix to get an early wound on Torver, who promptly throws a GG boulder at Q9 for a wound (13+1 with Stenvar’s bonus). Only Stenvar and 2 GGs can gain high ground do the Rat traffic on the hill. Q9 attacks the adjacent GG with his Queglix, but can’t make a dent. The GGs sneak up with height on Raelin for a wound and kill a Rat. The GG easily defends against Q9’s Queglix again.

Rd 3. A GG scales the battlement to engage Raelin, a 4/5 skull roll earns 3 wounds on Rae. Another GG kills another Rat. Things are looking solid for Team Dauntless! Stingers move to protect Raelin and only manage to kill the GG next to Q9. Torver tosses another GG at Q9 but no wound, and then moves up to engage the big soulborg, with Stenvar following close behind. The Stingers move on up, drain, and kill the GGs next to Q9 and Raelin. Torver can’t toss or kill a Rat, oh oh. Q9 rolls 1/3 skulls on the 3 Queglix attacks on Torver, who laughs and doesn’t bother to roll defensive dice.

Rd 4. Two GGs, each with 5 attack dice, can’t kill the same Rat – much Scattering ensues. A couple of Stingers move up to the top of the crowded hill, roll a 2 for drain, killing one in the start zone. Torver can’t kill a Rat or wound Q9, who is still in Raelin’s protection. The Stingers pull a successful drain and can’t kill 2 GGs, but do manage a wound on Torver. Torver fails a toss and then rolls 2/4 skulls on Q9, who whiffs with 9 dice for 2 wounds (Q9 has one life left). Stingers drain again and kill a GG.

Rd 5. The same two GGs can’t kill that same damn Rat despite rolling attacks of 5. That Rat has been the difference maker in the battle. Stingers roll a 3 for drain and another one in the SZ dies. Torver finally tosses a Rat and then kills Q9 who could only roll 1/9 shields. The Stingers drain, 4/4 on Stenvar for 2 wounds and then kill another GG. Torver kills a Stinger and then backs up to protect Stenvar and the last GG. The Stingers drain and get 2 more wounds on Stenvar (1 left) and one on Torver (2 left).

Rd 6. Stenvar takes a turn and crushes a Stinger with a 3/3 skull roll to save his life. The Stingers kill the last GG. Torver can’t throw or kill a Stinger. Stingers drain again, Stenvar defends, but Torver is now down to 1 life. Torver tosses one Stinger and then kills another. The Stingers drain yet another time! And then promptly kill both Torver and Stenvar.

Rd 7. After a couple of rounds, the Stingers kill the Greater Ice from height, who couldn’t manage to kill a Stinger despite a couple of attacks. Game over

Final thoughts: A pretty decent match. It weren’t for that one Rat and the good luck with Stinger drains, it could have gone the other way. The A+ team had 146 points left with 4 Stingers, Isamu, 1-life Raelin, and 4 Rats remaining. Stenvar is going to be a tough figure to play test and get points just right. He is a cheerleader who could turn into a beast given the right circumstances. He boosted Torver once, killed a Stinger, but protected Torver’s back side most importantly from a few Stinger attacks. I’m pretty comfortable with the bump to 5 life. I’m going to give him a rest from play testing. I like him right where he is. More playtests from you all are welcome. Thanks for reading.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:04 am

love the artwork and the playtests. Hopefully I can give some reports soon.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:25 pm

Derek and I got a couple of playtests in with Stenvar, GGs, Torver, and Greater Ice against a 4th Mass Line army build. In the first battle, Stenvar didn't do a whole lot because Torver and hurled GGs pretty much won the day. In the 2nd game, Derek went with 2 Greater Ice, Torver and only one squad of GGs to accompany Stenvar. The 4th made quick work of the GGs, the Greater Ice Elementals, and finally took down Torver. This gave Stenvar 3 figures on his card, which bumped his stats to Move:7, Attack: 9, and Defense: 8. The remaining 6 bluecoats, full-life v2 Drake, Thorgrim, and Eldgrim were wiped out while only placing 1 wound on Stenvar, who became uber powerful.

Our recommendation is to keep his stats as is, but limit the number of Dauntless huge figures that he can put on his card to two. So, the max numbers Stenvar would have is Move: 6, Attack: 7, Defense: 7. I know it would be rare to get 3 or more figures on his card, but he becomes close to invincible if it does happen. I'm also thinking about dropping the additional move for figures on his card. With his range and increased move, he was able to get to just about any one on the map every turn.

So, I would like to propose the following:

DAUNTLESS AVENGER
    When a Huge Dauntless figure you control is destroyed, you may place that figure on this Army Card. For each figure on this Army Card, add 2 to Stenvar's Attack value and 1 to Stenvar's Defense value. The maximum number of Huge Dauntless figures that can be placed on this Army Card is 2.

Thoughts?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:15 pm

Nomad wrote:

So, I would like to propose the following:

DAUNTLESS AVENGER

Thoughts?

I'm glad that you tried Stenvar both ways .. as cheerleader for squads and then avenger of heroes!

Yeah since you guys sometimes play 1,000 point games - a limitation sounds fair.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:19 pm

I think the limitation is the best idea to keep this guy in check, although it was fun rampaging across the board. I also think dropping the move bonus is wise- he completely lost the slow moving stone feel that he should have.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:47 pm

DAUNTLESS AVENGER

DAUNTLESS AVENGER
    When a Huge Dauntless figure you control is destroyed, you may place that figure on this Army Card. For each figure on this Army Card, add 2 to Stenvar's Attack value and 1 to Stenvar's Defense value. A maximum of 2 Huge Dauntless figures can be placed on this card.

Do we want to run some more playtests here or move this guy to final editing?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:09 pm

OP is updated with new wording for Avenger power. I would like to get a few more play tests before going to final editing.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:10 am

The Book of Stenvar

NWHC WAVE 2-

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered
    - Stenvar: Dauntless Enhancement

Dauntless figures may benefit from DAUNTLESS ENHANCEMENT’S 20-sided die roll bonus. Dauntless figures with a 20-sided roll include; Torver, Greater Ice Elemental.

Synergy Benefits Received
    - Gain High Ground Movement Bonding: Torver

As a figure with the Gain High Ground Special Power, Stenvar may benefit from Torver’s GAIN HIGH GROUND MOVEMENT BONDING movement activation.
    -Stenvar: Dauntless Avenger
    Huge Dauntless figure’s may benefit Stenvar’s DAUNTLESS AVENGER attack and defense enhancement special power. Huge Dauntless figures include Torver, Greater Ice Elemental.

Synergy Imposed
    -

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 12:45 am