Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W1 Kyrllin RELEASED

Derek S
    Derek S

W1 Kyrllin RELEASED Empty W1 Kyrllin RELEASED

Post  Derek S Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:50 pm

Kyrllin

NWHC Wave 1 – The Faithful and the Fallen - Heroes of Braunglayde

W1 Kyrllin RELEASED KyrllinR.NWHC

Note- This figure requires the white 2nd edition dice to be used.

Figure- Confrontation, Lions Manilia Hero Box

General- Ullar
    Planet- Toril

Species: Human
    Unique Hero
    Class: Illusionist
    Personality: Tricky
    Medium 5

Life-5
    Move-5
    Range-1
    Attack-4
    Defense-2
    Points-140

Dragon Sting
    After moving and before attacking, you may choose any figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Kyrlin. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 15 or higher, the chosen figure receives 1 wound.  If the chosen figure is small or medium, you may continue to roll for Dragon Sting on the chosen figure until you do not inflict a wound.

Phantasm Special Attack range 5 attack 2
    When attacking with Phantasm Special Attack, each shield rolled counts as 2 additional hits.

Conceal
    When defending with Kyrlin, each skull rolled counts as 1 additional block.

bio-
    Hailing from the harsh world of Toril, Kyrllin is a renowned master of magic specializing the School of Illusions.  As an illusionist, Kyrllin can cast spells that affect all of an opponent’s senses – full visual images to mimic the animate and inanimate as well as hallucinations that only affect the mind of a specific target.  With his ability to overwhelm a target’s senses, opponents find attacking Kyrllin to be incredibly challenging, as he can conceal his true location and movements.  As an experienced combat-mage, Kyrllin can also weave a series of illusionary strikes, which keeps his enemies off balance. For example, an attacker might rush forward and swing, only to find his blade passing through a mirror image of Kyrllin. Or his assailants might hear the roar of a dragon behind them and whirl to find nothing there.  

In battle, Kyrllin focuses his magic through his mystic staff.  When illusions are channeled through the staff start as harmless tricks of the mind and become lethal psychic attacks.  The source of these strikes originates with Kyrllin but the attack often comes from within the target’s own mind.  This makes defending against the phantasmal forces extremely difficult.

To compliment his sorcerous powers, Kyrllin travels with a diminutive but powerful magically familiar named Zadarra.  An off-shoot of the dragonkin of Toril, Zadarra has leathery wings and scales, and a deadly poisonous sting that can drop the most powerful enemies in one strike.

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered
    -Otonashi: Tricky Speed 4
    Having the Tricky Personality, Kyrllin may aid Otonashi’s TRICKY SPEED 4 ability.
    Ebon Armor: Animated Materiel/Eternal War
    Being a Unique Human Hero or Squad figure, if an Ebon Armor figure is destroyed you may place that Ebon Armor on Kyrllins Card.  If Kyrllin is destroyed by a normal or special attack, or by a leaving engagement attack, you may replace Kyrllin with that Ebon Armor on the battlefield.
    Ebon Armor: Animated Materiel/Eternal War
    Being a Unique Human Hero or Squad figure, if an Ebon Armor figure is destroyed you may place that Ebon Armor on Kyrllins Card.  If Kyrllin is destroyed by a normal or special attack, or by a leaving engagement attack, you may replace Kyrllin with that Ebon Armor on the battlefield.

Synergy Benefits Received
    -Elaria the Pale: Queen of Theives
    Having a Tricky Personality, Kyrllin may benefit from Elaria the Pale’s QUEEN OF THEIVES 20-sided dice bonus.
    -Myrddin: Mystic Sacrifice
    Being a Medium Unique Hero, Kyrllin may benefit from Myrddin’s MYSTIC SACRIFICE 20-sided dice boost.
    -Jean de Ascalon: When the Bell Tolls
    Beinga Unique figure, Kyrllin may benefit from Jean de Ascalon’s WHEN THE BELL TOLLS 20-sided dice boost.
    Aristeos: Nature's Aura
    As a figure that follows Ullar, Kyrllin may benefit from Aristeos' NATURE'S AURA defense bonus.
    Alcolarh: Ullar's Amulet
    As a figure that follows Ullar, Kyrllin may benefit from Alcolarh's ULLAR'S AMULET movement bonus.

Synergy Imposed

Last edited by Derek S on Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:16 pm; edited 26 times in total (Reason for editing : changed class to Illusionist.)
    Derek S
    Derek S

W1 Kyrllin RELEASED Empty Re: W1 Kyrllin RELEASED

Post  Derek S Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:04 pm

Added original ideas to OP.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:47 am

Okay, this sounds pretty awesome, dude!!

Illusion
    When rolling attack dice for Wizard, all sheilds rolled count as 2 hits. When Rolling defensive dice for Wizard, all skulls rolled count as shields.
    Probably very confusing, but I love the idea of messing with the mechanic.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:59 pm

Yea, don't pick up the dice early with this guy.  Blanks are is only problem- the intent being that defensively shields still count as shields and offensively skulls still count as skulls.  Originally I toyed around with the idea of Dragon Sting being a 2 die attack, and if all skulls the defender couldn't roll defense.  I'm not sure which is better (or worse).
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:24 am

So the results could be:

ATTACK 2:

1 Skull + 1 Blank = 1 hit
    2 Skulls = 2 hits
    1 Skull + 1 Shield = 3 hits

1 Shield = 2 hits
    2 Shields = 4 hits

His probability of scoring a hit is pretty awesome - basically a 5 in 6 chance of getting at least 1 skull per Attack die (about 83%).  Damon is much better at math, so maybe he can figure out the probabilities with multiple dice.  His base attack is low though, so its sort of like Deadly Strike.

DEFENSE 3:

1 Shield + 2 Blanks = 1 Shield
    1 Shield + 1 Skull + 1 Blank = 3 Shields
    1 Shield + 2 Skulls = 5 Shields

1 Skull + 2 Blanks = 2 Shields
    2 Skulls + 1 Blank = 4 Shields
    3 Skulls = 6 Shields

Same probability on defense of getting at least 1 shield.

With his 5 Life and the chance for multiple Dragon Stings - and his high probability for success on Attack/Defense - I'm guessing he's a very high-point character (in the 150 point range).

Very interesting!!!
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:34 am

Yes, he will be relatively high pointer.  The only thing with your probabilities is that skulls for defense only count as one, unlike on offense where shields count as two.  so

DEFENSE 3:

1 Shield + 1 Skull + 1 Blank = 3 Shields = 2 shields
    1 Shield + 2 Skulls = 5 Shields = 3 shields

1 Skull + 2 Blanks = 2 Shields = 1 shield
    2 Skulls + 1 Blank = 4 Shields = 2 shields
    3 Skulls = 6 Shields   = 3 shields

With shields being more a higher likelihood I thought one was sufficient.  We could change his defense to 2 and double skulls ( or not) as shields are doubled on his defense.  Interesting idea.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:57 am

Aaah, sorry read that wrong.

I like him .. would like to see how he plays.  The ILLUSION mechanic is pretty cool.

I could also see using Valkyrie dice if it gets too confusing during playtesting.
    Nomad
    Nomad

W1 Kyrllin RELEASED Empty Wizard

Post  Nomad Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:30 am

Nice sculpt! Creative and inspiring!

I better not play with this guy after a couple of barley-pops, I would get lost in the reversal of dice and counting/seeing double.cyclops

I think he is an awesome design. On the first power - right now it reads that you could keep on doing the dragon attack whether or not the first attack was successful. Where you intending that he only got to attack again if the first was successful? Or just keep on attacking?

I imagine the points would be on the upper end. Keep rolling with it . . . and we can fine tune things.

Again - great idea!

I don't know how you guys are so creative . . . I am so envious.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:56 am

If you roll a 15 or higher, the chosen figure receives one wound and you may roll again for Dragon Sting.

The intent is to have to roll a 15 or higher and give a wound to be able to roll again.  This continuing until you do not roll a 15 or higher (like Sujuoh).  Perhaps it should only be used twice, or 16 or higher.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Since you are sort of messing with the Skulls = Shields on defense and Shields = Skulls on attack ~ I would recommend keeping the mechanic the same.  Meaning - if you want one Shield to becomes two Skulls, you should use the same math to make one Skull becomes two Shields.  I think it will be easier to remember for when the Wizard rolls combat dice.

As for Dragon Sting .. maybe something like:

If you inflict a wound with Dragon Sting, you may attack again with Dragon Sting.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:50 pm

kai wrote:Since you are sort of messing with the Skulls = Shields on defense and Shields = Skulls on attack ~ I would recommend keeping the mechanic the same.  Meaning - if you want one Shield to becomes two Skulls, you should use the same math to make one Skull becomes two Shields.  I think it will be easier to remember for when the Wizard rolls combat dice.
    Part of the reason I didn't do this  was because of the likelihood of getting skulls over shields.  So, if we did do this I think his defense should be 2 as well.  This guy is going is going to get tough with height or bonuses so I have no problem with it as long as we all think dropping his D to 2 is good (I do).  I do want to keep it easy as possible so thanks for the brainstorming!

Kai wrote:As for Dragon Sting .. maybe something like:

If you inflict a wound with Dragon Sting, you may attack again with Dragon Sting.

I think this is perfect.  OP updated with changes.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:49 am

Doh!  Makes sense with Skulls coming up more frequently.

Part of the reason I didn't do this  was because of the likelihood of getting skulls over shields.  So, if we did do this I think his defense should be 2 as well.  This guy is going is going to get tough with height or bonuses so I have no problem with it as long as we all think dropping his D to 2 is good (I do).  I do want to keep it easy as possible so thanks for the brainstorming!

Yeah, I think this character is coming along well.  Point-wise, seems to be in the neighborhood of SONLEN but with one less Life and Range, maybe 140-points?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:02 am

Yeah, 140 might be close.  Dragon sting is better than Dragon Swoop.  No Dragon Healing though.  If this guy gets to roll 3 dice or more he is going to be tough.  We'll start him at 140- OP updated.

Name, Planet, and General still need starting thoughts.
    Nomad
    Nomad

W1 Kyrllin RELEASED Empty Nice

Post  Nomad Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:02 am

I like all the suggested changes and the points. This guy might fly through the process!

Derek - are you ready to do some play testing tomorrow?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Damon wrote:Derek - are you ready to do some play testing tomorrow?

Why yes Sir.  I am ready today.  Bring down your Templars so we have 4 squads if you would.

Having his defense at 2, or should we even go to 1 with this guy?  Wizard or Mage?  Ullar or Jandar or Einar?  Toril, Feylund, or other?  Any suggested names?
    Nomad
    Nomad

W1 Kyrllin RELEASED Empty more

Post  Nomad Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:36 pm

Mage - enough Wizards already (plus he doesn't need any defensive/20-sider bonuses . . .)

Ullar - because of the green dragon on his back.

2 defense

Will think about the name
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:42 pm

With his defense being 2, do you guys want skulls to count as 2 shields as Kai suggests, keeping the illusion mechanic the same, or do we want to keep him a little more vulnerable and have skulls count as 1 shield. I am a little nervous of this guy within Raelins aura rolling 4 defensive dice and skulls counting as 2 myself.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:35 am

Illusion
    When rolling attack dice for Wizard, all sheilds rolled count as 2 hits. When Rolling defensive dice for Wizard, all skulls rolled count as shields.

I got to thinking . . . they way this is worded I would argue that when attacking shields count as 2 hits and skulls still count as 1 hit. Same holds true when rolling defense.

This needs to be reworded in my opinion. Or, what if we did all blanks count as 2 hits/2 shields in addition to normal skulls and shields. Just a thought.

I am OK with having each skull count as two shields if we stay with what was intended. His base attack his pretty weak, so having the extra shields will give him more staying power.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Damon wrote:Illusion

I got to thinking . . . they way this is worded I would argue that when attacking shields count as 2 hits and skulls still count as 1 hit. Same holds true when rolling defense.

This needs to be reworded in my opinion. Or, what if we did all blanks count as 2 hits/2 shields in addition to normal skulls and shields. Just a thought.

I am OK with having each skull count as two shields if we stay with what was intended. His base attack his pretty weak, so having the extra shields will give him more staying power.

I am confused.  Here is the intent

Derek wrote:DEFENSE 3:

1 Shield + 1 Skull + 1 Blank = 3 Shields = 2 shields
    1 Shield + 2 Skulls = 5 Shields = 3 shields

1 Skull + 2 Blanks = 2 Shields = 1 shield
    2 Skulls + 1 Blank = 4 Shields = 2 shields
    3 Skulls = 6 Shields   = 3 shields

With shields being more a higher likelihood I thought one was sufficient.  We could change his defense to 2 and double skulls ( or not) as shields are doubled on his defense.  Interesting idea.

Kai wrote:ATTACK 2:

1 Skull + 1 Blank = 1 hit
    2 Skulls = 2 hits
    1 Skull + 1 Shield = 3 hits

1 Shield = 2 hits
    2 Shields = 4 hits

His probability of scoring a hit is pretty awesome - basically a 5 in 6 chance of getting at least 1 skull per Attack die (about 83%).  Damon is much better at math, so maybe he can figure out the probabilities with multiple dice.  His base attack is low though, so its sort of like Deadly Strike.

We could go the blank route, but blanks aren't as likely to occur so we would be looking at base stats and points a fresh.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:49 pm

My bad for having a preset mindset. I was assuming the shields and skulls switched on defense and attacks. Doh!

Forgive me. I will rethink the numbers, but at a 2 attack and 2 defense figure, this guy will be pretty awesome when all but blanks count as positive for the roller . . .

I still like it! Great design Derek!
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:37 pm

Still looking for same name/planet suggestions. Any other thoughts on the stats/powers, or should this guy get ready for playtesting?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:47 pm

Although I'm not sure if the mini has pointy ears like Sharwin and Erevan, here are my thoughts.

Name: Zarius Wyrmelder (I can explain the name, but it would take too long to type it up).

Species: Eladrin (same as Sharwin and Erevan, this comes from D&D lore), OR, Azatas (which is what the Eladrin are called in Pathfinder), OR Half-Elf (Like Brandis Skyhunter).

Planet: Toril . . . same as Sharwin, Erevan and Brandis.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:01 pm

No pointy ears. I don't know much about D&D lore so I am looking forward to the explanation.

Would it be unreasonable to have it from early earth? Merlin is fictional but there is some truth to all fiction. Not that I want him to be Merlin. I just don't know. Maybe his hair is covering his pointy ears and that is the best way to go.

Are Azatas part of D&D lore and from planet Toril?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:23 pm

No pointy ears?

Then I vote for Half-Elf. This will give Brandis a companion.

Toril is the D&D planet. Pathfinder is a knock-off of D&D - I'm not sure of the planet. Since D&D has already been included in Heroscape lore, I would vote for Toril.

Zarius is a play on a name of a Half-elf in D&D land . . . I just changed a couple of vowels. Wyrm (short for Wyrmling) and Elder (old dude with a baby dragon as a companion) were combined to make Wyrmelder. It works with Wildborne, Skyhunter, and Sunshadow as an elven family name (I did some reading up on the conventions of how half-elves are named).
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:01 pm

I can go with that unless Kai has something to offer.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:02 am