Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

4 posters

W2 Darrin Razorbeak - released

Derek S
    Derek S

W2 Darrin Razorbeak - released - Page 2 Empty Re: W2 Darrin Razorbeak - released

Post  Derek S Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:42 am

ACROBATIC ASSAULT
    After moving and before attacking an opponent's figure or destructible object, Darrin Razorbeak may move 1 space. This space may be up to 4 levels higher. When Darrin Razorbeak attacks a figure or destructible object that he was not adjacent to at the start of the turn he receives 1 additional attack die.

ACROBATIC ASSAULT
    After Darrin Razorbeak moves and before he makes any attack(s) on an opponent's figure or destructible object he may move 1 (additional) space. This space may be up to 4 levels higher. When Darrin Razorbeak attacks a figure or destructible object that he was not adjacent to at the start of the turn he receives 1 additional attack die.

I think that just "after moving and before attacking" means he could only do it once so I thought about how to make it work on the long drive home and hope the any part erases any doubt as to what you are supposed to be able to do with the power.

Also, I am not completely convinced (please convince me) that his acrobatic assault attack should affect DO's. I kind of see the reason he gets the extra attack die for it is because he is surprising the opponent with his acrobaticness, and I am not sure a door would be surprised by it. So I could see keeping the first part with destructible object (where he uses his acrobaticy...acrobativeness [I really don't have a proper idea of the right word to us] to get to the DO) but not the additional attack die part. Acrobacy? I give.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W2 Darrin Razorbeak - released - Page 2 Empty Re: W2 Darrin Razorbeak - released

Post  Lord Kai Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:12 am

Acrobatic Assault is based on a D&D special feat/power that allows a character to add strength and power to an attack with jumping, tumbling, leaping attacks, etc. So yes - it could be a 'surprise' attack but it is also based on generating power from "acrobatics."

I think the reason I originally dropped the "Before moving" .. and just had it "Before attacking .. " was to allow Razorbeak to attack & move, and then attack & move (if he started his turn engaged).

The Pre-SoV workshop had a whole bunch of issues with the wording - and they wanted to turn it into a Special Attack (like Kumiko's Ninjitsu Barrage). Seemed like overkill to me, but if you guys are thinking the wording is confusing ... maybe that is a way to go.

Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:48 am

I thought I had wording that worked as a normal attack in my previous post, but if it doesn't work I think we can still come up with something. If you want to make it a special attack or keep it a normal attack is up to you. I am trying to help us come up with clearly defined wording for what the intention of the power is, not trying to change anything. Be it a special attack or normal attack we are still going to want the power to be clearly defined S to when and how the mechanics work. The added force of acrobatic assault makes sense for DO's after the explanation My I give was trying to find the right word for acrobaticness, not anything to do with the power or wording if it came across wrong.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:50 pm

With the Quorik Warwitch and her special attack I kind of prefer this to remain a normal attack.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:03 pm

I think that the language is simpler if we drop the "After moving .. " part. The "Before attack a figure .. " sets the timing (by standard rules you attack after you move normally). Since Razorbeak can attack more than once (exception to the rule) he can use Acrobatic Assault twice - but I added a clarifying statement.

DARRIN RAZORBEAK

ACROBATIC ASSAULT
    Before attacking an opponent's figure or destructible object, Darrin Razorbeak may move 1 space. This space may be up to 4 levels higher. When Darrin Razorbeak attacks a figure or destructible object that he was not adjacent to at the start of the turn he receives 1 additional attack die. Darrin Razorbeak may use Acrobatic Assault each time he attacks.

DOUBLE STRIKE
    If Darrin Razorbeak starts his turn engaged, he may attack one additional time.

Seem better?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:01 pm

OK with me, I guess.

Hoplitron, Heirloom, Horned Skulled Brutes, Ogre Warhulk, Ne-Gok-Sa, Me-Burq-Sa, Marro Stingers, Omnicron Repulsors, and many, many more, all use "After moving and before attacking . . . " By omitting the "After moving and" part, it does shorten it by three words, but I'm not sure if it makes it simpler. I think the intent of all of these cases are to clearly denote that the action occurs in a specific sequence during a turn.

But this doesn't seem to be the intent with Acrobatic Assault.

Regardless of making it simpler or not, I understand the need to clarify that it can only be used when Darrin attacks. Perhaps removing the "Before" and going with "When" might do the trick? The move of 1 space is part of his acrobatic attack, after all. Numerous other cards employ this wording as well.

ACROBATIC ASSAULT
    When attacking an opponent's figure or destructible object, Darrin Razorbeak may move 1 space. This space may be up to 4 levels higher. When Darrin Razorbeak attacks a figure or destructible object that he was not adjacent to at the start of the turn he receives 1 additional attack die. Darrin Razorbeak may use Acrobatic Assault each time he attacks.

So, the move of 1 and attack all become part of the same event, kind of like the actual acrobatic assault.

What do you think?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:50 pm

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Darrin Razorbeak

THEME TEST: Are there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that do not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character should be able to do? Also consider whether or not this character's powers should affect destructible objects. PASS. I really like the theme, the powers and the stats. Very fitting for the sculpt, very fitting for the Beakfaced faction. A great addition in my opinion.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play? PASS. I could really imagine how fun he could be . . . but, I had to ignore him for a few rounds while the Warwitch went into action against Raelin so I didn’t have as much fun as I was hoping for.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying? PASS. Nobody complained.

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable? PASS. I think I got one double attack off on a Fire Elemental. I used the extra move once to get higher ground on an attack.

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game? PASS. Yes to strategy and yes to tactics. New territory with powers here.

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately? PASS. No issues as he stands.

SYNERGIES TEST: Think of all the current cards that would have synergy with the unit card. Are there any factors that could break the game by making a unit too powerful or too weak? PASS.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be overamplified and break the game? PASS.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting? PASS. I would take him with Beakfaced and even as a 60 point filler figure over Zetacron in some army builds depending on what I needed.

MIRROR TEST: Consider the test unit against itself. Are there any loops that would upset the balance of the Game? PASS.

ARMY TEST 1

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary. [insert pass/fail, point value, and brief summary] PASS.

Map: A three player, free construction using one RoTV and 3 RttFF.

Units:

Army 1: Cathar Spearmen x3, Count Raymond, Jean de Ascalon, Raelin v1 = 400 points

VS

Army 2: Darrin Razorbeak, Beakfaced Sneaks x3, Kyrllin, Quorik Warwitch = 400 points.

VS

Army 3: Kurrak, Fire Elemental x3, Water Elemental x2, Earth Elemental, Dumetef = 390 points.

No detailed round by round comments. Darrin moved around a bit, benefiting from the Sneaks’ Flocking. He did manage to kill two Fire Elementals, so he earned his points. He ran to high ground while the Warwitch did her thing, only to get clobbered by Kai’s Kurrock and friends while hanging out in Kai’s startzone.

Final thoughts: I found Darrin Razorbeak to be an extremely fun 60-point hero. His potential should not be underestimated, neither should his staying power be overestimated. In my opinion, he could use a few more playtests just to be sure we aren’t missing anything, but I’m close to suggesting he is ready for final editing. I can’t suggest any changes at this point to his points, more playtesting will tell, but 20 seemed about right.

Please see comments about rewording the Acrobatic Assault power in my previous post.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:07 am

ACROBATIC ASSAULT
    When attacking an opponent's figure or destructible object, Darrin Razorbeak may move 1 space. This space may be up to 4 levels higher. When Darrin Razorbeak attacks a figure or destructible object that he was not adjacent to at the start of the turn he receives 1 additional attack die. Darrin Razorbeak may use Acrobatic Assault each time he attacks.

Best wording so far.

Darrin Razorbeak may use Acrobatic Assault each time he attacks
    makes it sound like it is a special attack.  Would this work

ACROBATIC ASSAULT
    When attacking an opponent's figure or destructible object, Darrin Razorbeak may move 1 space.  This space may be up to 4 levels higher.  If Darrin Razorbeak attacks a figure or destructible object he was not adjacent to at the start of this turn he receives 1 additional attack die.

or with a little twist

When attacking an opponent's figure or destructible object, Darrin Razorbeak may move 1 space.  This space may be up to 4 levels higher.  If Darrin Razorbeak attacks a figure or destructible object he was not adjacent to at the start of this attack, he receives 1 additional attack die.  (Not so sure this would work)
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:27 pm

C3V Public Playtest Form

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Darrin Razorbeak

THEME TEST: Are there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that do not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character should be able to do? Also consider whether or not this character's powers should affect destructible objects.

All powers on the card reflect what the character should do. Although I see the extra attack as part of the force behind acrobatic assault I am not 100% sold (maybe 95%) that it is not the element of surprise that results in the extra attack die, thus I am not sure destructible objects should be affected- although obviously with 95% percent agreement I have no real reservations here.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play?

N/A. Never put an order marker on him before he died so nothing to gain here.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying?

yes and no in this game

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable?

No, Darrin died from 2 attacks of wait then fire before an order marker was placed on him.

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game?

Quorik provides a special attack so I like his powers being normal. If things hadn't gone so bad for him I can imagine the interest or strategy relying on whether or not to leave engagement to gain the +1 attack.

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately?

I am not 100% sure of what all the current stats are so I am not going to start with Bonding or bonding loops.

SYNERGIES TEST: Think of all the current cards that would have synergy with the unit card. Are there any factors that could break the game by making a unit too powerful or too weak?

I am not 100% sure of where he currently is so I am not going to take the time to explore synergies.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be overamplified and break the game? Each power should define when it takes place, who or what it affects, and what conditions (if any) apply.

Not that I see. The powers on his card lead to this;
    Kai wrote:I think that the language is simpler if we drop the "After moving .. " part. The "Before attack a figure .. " sets the timing (by standard rules you attack after you move normally). Since Razorbeak can attack more than once (exception to the rule) he can use Acrobatic Assault twice - but I added a clarifying statement.

DARRIN RAZORBEAK

ACROBATIC ASSAULT
    Before attacking an opponent's figure or destructible object, Darrin Razorbeak may move 1 space. This space may be up to 4 levels higher. When Darrin Razorbeak attacks a figure or destructible object that he was not adjacent to at the start of the turn he receives 1 additional attack die. Darrin Razorbeak may use Acrobatic Assault each time he attacks.

DOUBLE STRIKE

here is my concern with starting with "before attacking"; One of the biggest things you hear about card/rule interpretation is to do what the card says, not what it doesn't. The powers listed on a card supersede normal mechanics of gameplay. In this case the card is telling you Darrin Razorbeak may move 1 space before attacking. Following the card, that is all he can move if he attacks. While I/we understand the intention there is suggested language that could keep it feeling like a normal attack and addresses do what the card says, not what it doesn't. This needs to be addressed.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting?

N/A I would think so but this test showed nothing.

MIRROR TEST: Consider the test unit against itself. Are there any loops that would upset the balance of the Game?

Not that I see.

ARMY TEST 1

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary.

No. Inconclusive. Darrin moved twice for 12 total spaces before wait then fire wiped him out. An order marker was never placed on him. Quorik got 1 turn with an order marker on her, but fell thus burning an order marker and allowing the 4th to get Darrin before it made sense to put a marker on him.

Map: [Stroll in the park (1 rotv 2 ticalla jungle)]
    Units: Army 1: [Quorik Warwitch, Darrin, Vulcanmech, Beakface x5] VS Army 2: [Sgt. Drake (110), Orrick, Samuel, 4th x 4.]
    Both armies at 500.

Beakface moved and captured both glyphs, one was the intercept order glyph and the other the glyph of brandar. They succeeded in dumping a 4th order marker in round 2. Vulcanmechs moved out and battled the opposition until they were gone via Drake's big attack of 6 (2 Vulcanmechs and 1 redundant marker he got). The 4th took to redundant markers and got the last Incendioborg. Quorik and Darrin moved out a couple of times without the Incendiaborgs left. Quorik got of 1 special attack but the 4th blocked all 3 attacks on even height and then took her and Darrin out the subsequent attack. The beakface surprised me putting the final wound on Drake (incendiaborgs did 4 damage), putting 3/4 wounds on Samuel, getting Orrick, and taking out 7 4th. They ended up with 5 beakface left for 75 points.

Final thoughts: Nothing really other than Darrin can go quickly, which is fitting for a 60 pt character.

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:31 pm

Yeah the language on this power has always seemed tricky : )

ACROBATIC ASSAULT

The language "Before attacking ... " is common in Heroscape but the full text is "Before attacking an opponent's figure ..."   The key difference is that Before Attacking is just clarifying the 'when' (which phase) but "Before attacking a figure .. " specifies that you can only use the Special Power if you can attack an opponent's figure.  

Here is the language from the Warforged:

Tacitcal Switch
    When a Warforged Soldier you control attacks an opponent's small or medium figure, before rolling attack dice, you may switch that Warforged Soldier with the defending figure.  After switching spaces, the Warforged must continue that attack ..

So maybe something like:

ACROBATIC ASSAULT
    When Darrin Razorbeak attacks an opponent's figure, before rolling attack dice, Darrin Razorbeak may move 1 space. This space may be up to 4 levels higher. When Darrin Razorbeak attacks a figure that he was not adjacent to at the start of the turn he receives 1 additional attack die. Darrin Razorbeak may use Acrobatic Assault each time he attacks.

Sound better?

As for Bonding stats/loops - Derek - it is up to you if you want to have Razorbeak be Reckless (for Pirate bonding).

Dropped the Destructible Object part.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:50 pm

Kai wrote:ACROBATIC ASSAULT
    When Darrin Razorbeak attacks an opponent's figure, before rolling attack dice, Darrin Razorbeak may move 1 space. This space may be up to 4 levels higher. When Darrin Razorbeak attacks a figure that he was not adjacent to at the start of the turn he receives 1 additional attack die. Darrin Razorbeak may use Acrobatic Assault each time he attacks.

Sound better?

Sounds good to me!

I'm not opposed to keeping the destructible object in there. I have no issues with it staying and it makes sense to me . . . if I am trying to break down a door I would give it a running start and slam against it with all my weight, which seems to be what Darrin would be trying to do.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:03 pm

ACROBATIC ASSAULT

Sounds real good. After the explanation I could see DO's being affected as well, but can still see it the other way- I am happy with which ever way decided.

As for being Reckless or not I say I am all for it as long as you both think he has a relentless feel to him (I don't want to force things to create synergy). I am on the fence on whether or not reckless fits. Bold certainly does, I am not 100% sure reckless does and I don't want to suggest changing him to reckless to get they synergy, but like the thought of him being reckless. If he does go Reckless I will probably make a suggestion or two to his accrobatic assault power. (nothing major) You all decide what is best.

The change suggested might be as simple as if Darrin starts his turn engaged he must attack twice using acrobatic assault, he can not attack the same figure twice unless it is the only figure possible to attack. Obviously just an idea to make him feel reckless, no wording considered.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:06 pm

Round 2 between Beakface Sneaks x5, Quorik Warwitch, Darrin Razorbeak, and Vulcanmech Incendiaborgs vs. Sgt Drake (110), 4th Mass x4, Sir Orrick, and Samuel Brown.

Another close game but this time the 4th were able to weaken the Vulcanmech enough for Drake to survive the encounter.  Drake was then able to get the last 4 Beakface, winning with 2 life left and a full life Orrick.  Darring moved twice via flocking and attacked  uphill at a previously unengaged 4th for a kill.  But then promptly fell to a wait n fire by 2 4th.  Darrin lost an order marker here and was a pretty pivotal moment in the game.  I wouldn't mind if Darrin had 4 life from what I have seen so far. I am going to get a few playtests vs the knights next.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:42 am

He does have 4-Life. Did you mean Defense 4?

Perhaps he should have Evasive 3 like the Beakface Sneaks for defense against Ranged?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:46 pm

I can't figure how I had 3 life for him, which I was referring to, and not 4 life. Might be part of the reason Darrin fell short. I swear my printout said 3 life. Anyways, I'll test with 4 life from here on out.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:18 pm

His charging assault is kind of reckless. If he doesn't do some killing, he is in deep trouble and will probably die quickly. But, getting him into position and strategizing with him to get the most out of his points may not be so reckless, nor bold. I could go either way. I do think he would be a fun addition for the pirates.

Kai, can you send me a high-quality pic of Darrin of how you would like him portrayed on the card?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:30 am

Razorbeak is so photogenic ... I wish that the miniature was larger : P

W2 Darrin Razorbeak - released - Page 2 Razorbeak1crop
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:17 am

After 4 playtests with Darrin and the suggestion to be reckless here are my thoughts;

-I would love for him to be reckless and bond with the Pirates
    -He has only once had an order marker placed on him in the Beakface build that he actually attacked with before dying (lost 2 order markers so 1 out of 3 for order marker placement- not good). This leads me to think he should be 4 defense. Also, to make him feel reckless I think his defense should be reduced by 1- (back to 3) when an opponent starts his turn engaged with Darrin. This fits his feel pretty well, shouldn't change his cost too much, and fits the bill (pun) of the beakface race and their anti-range statistics.
    -I think that 3 powers might help with wording issues, although your last wording would pass with a thumbs up from me.
    -If he does go with the reckless personality I would love to have multiple more playtests with him (I still think he could be worth 60 pts as is in the beakface build.
    -would like this guy to reach finality as he is a pretty crafty little design.

And for the Mini itself he is right on with the beakface, although the Quorik Warwitch seems a bit bigger, but I think that is because of the wings and elevation feeling evoked. A good looking figurine that is closer to working for me than many that have been used in D&D, C3V, and such. I like Darrin quite a bit.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:54 pm

I agree/like all of Derek's suggestions:

Excellent design, very cool figure.
    Change to Reckless.
    Increase Defense to 4.
    Subtract one from defense if he starts engaged . . . this could easily be embedded in the Double Strike power, which could be renamed to Reckless Double Strike or something.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:55 pm

How about this version:

DARRIN RAZORBEAK

General: Einar
    Species: Raptorian
    Unique Hero
    Class: Rogue
    Personality: Reckless
    Size: Medium 4
    60 Points

Life = 4
    Move = 6
    Range = 1
    Attack = 3
    Defense = 3

DOUBLE STRIKE

ACROBATIC ASSAULT

EVASIVE 1
    Add 1 to Darrin Razorbeak's defense value when he rolls defense dice against attacks from non-adjacent figures.

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:08 pm

Perfect!
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:30 am

He was a pretty neat addition to the pirates in their battles with the Heavy Orcs. He did get chomped by Grimnak in one test, but in both he was more than just a sideline figure. Really enjoyed him and hope he is ready for final editing.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:12 pm

Yes - Kai, can we move this guy to final editing? And change the name of the thread?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:21 am

Thanks for changing the name of the thread.

I have read through his powers and I have no suggestions for improvement. I vote that the Razorbeak is done. I really love this guy and could become one of my favorites - the sculpt, the theme, the powers . . . very nice!

Can we add this to the OP for easy access?

DARRIN RAZORBEAK

Figure: Pathfinder, Skull & Shackles, #026 Jakaw Razorbeak

General: Einar
    Planet: Marr

Species: Raptorian
    Unique Hero
    Class: Rogue
    Personality: Reckless
    Size: Medium 4
    60 Points

Life = 4
    Move = 6
    Range = 1
    Attack = 3
    Defense = 3

DOUBLE STRIKE

ACROBATIC ASSAULT

EVASIVE 1
    Add 1 to Darrin Razorbeak's defense value when he rolls defense dice against attacks from non-adjacent figures.

Bio: Pending
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:55 am

A sneak peak at my first efforts on Darrin's card:

W2 Darrin Razorbeak - released - Page 2 DarrinRazorbeakBasicNWHC

Last edited by Nomad on Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Redo done on Darrin's master card . . . see later post.)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:04 pm