Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

+2
Nomad
Lord Kai
6 posters

W3 - Vindicators of Vydar - Final *

Derek S
    Derek S

W3 - Vindicators of Vydar - Final * - Page 2 Empty Re: W3 - Vindicators of Vydar - Final *

Post  Derek S Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:29 am

Have we found out yet what the intent was?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W3 - Vindicators of Vydar - Final * - Page 2 Empty Re: W3 - Vindicators of Vydar - Final *

Post  Lord Kai Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:29 am

We can always move the Guardians of Vydar to Wave 3.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:23 pm

Jacob has dropped interest in being LD on this squad.

Kai - can you delete the other thread that Jacob started? I will take LD and use this thread.

Some initial thoughts . . . a unique squad that isn't.

GUARDIANS OF VYDAR

Figure: Blastatrons modded with the wings of Raelin.

General: Vydar
    Planet: Valhalla

Species: Soulborg
    Unique Squad
    Class: Guard
    Personality: Persistent
    Medium 4

Life = 1
    Move = 4
    Range = 6
    Attack = 2
    Defense = 3
    60 Points

SOULBORG REPAIR 14
    After taking a turn with the Guardians of Vydar, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, you may place one previously destroyed Guardian of Vydar adjacent to any unengaged figure you control.

FLYING
    When counting spaces for Guardians of Vydar’s movement, ignore elevations. Guardians of Vydar may fly over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and fly over obstacles such as ruins. When a Guardian of Vydar starts to fly, if it is engaged it will take any leaving engagement attacks.

Bio: Thoughts – since the Kyrie left Vydar according to HS lore, General Vydar used his tech skills to create this squad utilizing badly injured blastatrons and the wings of dead Kyrie – hence their planet is Valhalla because that is where they are created. General Vydar has the tech team that can put fallen Guardians back together on the battlefield or crank a certain amount out in his underground factories.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:38 pm

That is very cool.  Time to start modding. Since the blastatrons are a four person squad, should we make this an unique 4 person squad?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:10 pm

As a squad of 3, I can see them at 60-70 points with the current numbers.

As a squad of 4, you would be increasing the number of attacks by almost double for the duration of a battle and you would be increasing the opportunities for repair. It would probably bump them to 90-110 points.

I'm good either way. We can play around with numbers, powers, 20-sided roll breakdown, etc.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:31 pm

I might start modding some of these today. If I do I was planning on using Raelin, Raelin2, and Kelda's wings. Would you like me to work on some for you as well?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:27 pm

Nomad wrote:
    GUARDIANS OF VYDAR

Unique Squad
    Medium 4

Life = 1
    Move = 4
    Range = 6
    Attack = 2
    Defense = 3
    60 Points

SOULBORG REPAIR 14
    After taking a turn with the Guardians of Vydar, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, you may place one previously destroyed Guardian of Vydar adjacent to any unengaged figure you control.

FLYING
    When counting spaces for Guardians of Vydar’s movement, ignore elevations. Guardians of Vydar may fly over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and fly over obstacles such as ruins. When a Guardian of Vydar starts to fly, if it is engaged it will take any leaving engagement attacks.

Very cool ideas!!

What do you think of changing the timing of Soulborg Repair to Before taking a turn ... this way if there is one left, you can roll for Repair - return a destroyed Guardian - and then move/attack with 2 instead of 3. More powerful but unique squads need the help.

I could see bumping their stats to = Move 5, Range 7, Attack 2, Defense 4.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:12 pm

kai wrote:Very cool ideas!!

What do you think of changing the timing of Soulborg Repair to Before taking a turn ... this way if there is one left, you can roll for Repair - return a destroyed Guardian - and then move/attack with 2 instead of 3. More powerful but unique squads need the help.

I could see bumping their stats to = Move 5, Range 7, Attack 2, Defense 4.

Thanks. I initially had it at before taking a turn but decided to go with the after to keep points down. I'm good with either. Bumping the stats would bump their points quite a bit - especially if we go with 4 in the squad. With 4 per squad and those stats and a 1/3 chance to bring one back each turn, I think they will end up costing 130+ points. With the flying, it kind of gives them extra move/range/defense/attack compared to Blastatrons because they can ignore elevation and get to prime spots quicker and easier. I open. We can do some more theory-scaping and adjust things during tests, etc.

derek wrote:I might start modding some of these today. If I do I was planning on using Raelin, Raelin2, and Kelda's wings. Would you like me to work on some for you as well?

I will probably just stick with Raelin #1 wings, since that is what I have an over abundance of. I wouldn't mind doing the mod myself, but thanks for the offer. Kai - you already have these, right?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:43 am

Yes I own a set of 3 (as pictured in the OP).

Move 4 Flying would be consistent with Minions, Sentinels, and Protectors.
    Range 7 would be consistent with Blastatrons .. so maybe a +1 there.
    Keeping Attack 2 is good ... keeps them in line with Marro Warriors.
    Defense 3 is as good as Gladiatrons. Since the Guardians can rebirth/repair .. maybe that works.

Pretty cool though.

Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:07 pm

Had a thought, not sure if I like it. What about limited flight instead of flying. So they would have a move of 4 but only 2 spaces could be flying. A different twist to a mechanical figure having organic wings implanted.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:22 pm

This might make them more broken but what about:

Nomad wrote:SOULBORG REPAIR 14
    Before taking a turn with the Guardians of Vydar, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, you may place one previously destroyed Guardian of Vydar adjacent to any unengaged figure you control.

CIRCUITRY SELF-REPAIR 14
    Before taking a turn with the Guardians of Vydar, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, you may place one previously destroyed Guardian of Vydar adjacent to any unengaged soulborg you control.

SOULBORG REPAIR 14
    After moving and before attacking, you may choose one wounded friendly soulborg hero adjacent to at least one Guardian of Vydar and roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, remove 1 wound marker from the chosen figure's Army Card.

Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:20 pm

SOULBORG REPAIR 14
    After moving and before attacking, you may choose one wounded friendly soulborg hero adjacent to at least one Guardian of Vydar and roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, remove 1 wound marker from the chosen figure's Army Card.

I don't really see the Vydar guardians as doing the repair as much as being rebuilt or replaced by a newly constructed figure.  Would love to use something like this power for a figure I got from you:

W3 - Vindicators of Vydar - Final * - Page 2 Pbrr-057

I had originally come up with something like this a long time ago but haven't got around to submitting the design. Maybe I'll do that soon.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:44 pm

Here are a front and back pic the unique squad that I modded. Maybe wish I would have used matte instead of gloss clear coat, but turned out good.

W3 - Vindicators of Vydar - Final * - Page 2 Dsc_0412
    W3 - Vindicators of Vydar - Final * - Page 2 Dsc_0411
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:53 pm

Those look nice, dude. Well done.

Kai wrote:CIRCUITRY SELF-REPAIR 14
    Before taking a turn with the Guardians of Vydar, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, you may place one previously destroyed Guardian of Vydar adjacent to any unengaged soulborg you control.

SOULBORG REPAIR 14

Sounds interesting - so we give them the power to heal and to be repaired. We can mull this over.

Derek wrote:What about limited flight instead of flying. So they would have a move of 4 but only 2 spaces could be flying. A different twist to a mechanical figure having organic wings implanted.

Hmm . . . kind of a wounded flutter? Not so sure.

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:15 am

WOW!  Those mods are FANTASTIC!!!!

I like the different wings for each model .. you rock, Derek!!!
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:56 pm

We had a thought last night with these guys. What do you think about about adding this (clearly some wording is needed)

COMBINED ASSAULT
    When rolling attack die, start with 5 attack die. Every Guardian of Vyadar still in play must utilize at least 1 of those attack die. You may split the remaining attack die amongst your attacking Guardian's of Vyadar.

We also felt they did not fit the name Guardians of ..... So we would like to brainstorm here. The idea of the power is that if you have 3 Guardians in play each starts with a base of 1, and the 3 extra die can go to one of Guardians, so you could have 2 attacks of 1 and an attack of 3, if any of these figures had height, they would get that bonus. Or you could 1, 2, 2 with your attacks. If you only had 2 Guardians left your attacks could be 2,3 or 1,4 with any height or glyph bonus's added. If you had 1 Guardian left you would have 5 base attack.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:12 pm

Derek S wrote:We had a thought last night with these guys.  What do you think about about adding this (clearly some wording is needed)

COMBINED ASSAULT
    When rolling attack die, start with 5 attack die.  Every Guardian of Vyadar still in play must utilize at least 1 of those attack die.  You may split the remaining attack die amongst your attacking Guardian's of Vyadar.

We also felt they did not fit the name Guardians of ..... So we would like to brainstorm here.  The idea of the power is that if you have 3 Guardians in play each starts with a base of 1, and the 3 extra die can go to one of Guardians, so you could have 2 attacks of 1 and an attack of 3,  if any of these figures had height, they would get that bonus.  Or you could 1, 2, 2 with your attacks.  If you only had 2 Guardians left your attacks could be 2,3 or 1,4 with any height or glyph bonus's added.  If you had 1 Guardian left you would have 5 base attack.

That is a really cool idea!!
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:13 pm

FYI ... we can totally change the name for this Unique Squad. "Guardians of Vydar" was the name that they eBay seller gave them .. so I am open to any new name(s).
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:19 am

A bad idea but I thought I'd throw it out there anyways. With the Vyadar's Betrayal going on in the story line how about
    Vydar's (Scourge, bane, menace)........Blacksnakes of Vydar..............Vydar Vindicators
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:33 pm

Derek S wrote:Vydar Vindicators

I like this one!
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:49 pm

Looks like we will pursue with the change in the powers to include the combined assault idea.

After playing with them, they really aren't guardians. They play more like a support unit or reinforcements. Vindicators of Vydar could work. I'll try thinking up some ideas as well.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:37 pm

Looks like it has been 4 months since we've done anything with these. Here is where we ended it. Derek and I got in a few play tests back in March and this is what we came up with. I know that we need to do some word smithing and the like, and that I need to finish the bio.

VINDICATORS OF VYDAR

Figures: Remod/Repaints of Heroscape, Thora's Vengeance/Soulborgs, Blastatrons OR Heroscape, Valkrill's Gambit/ Soulborgs, Blastatrons, AND the wings of Heroscape, Malliddon's Prophecy/Heroes of Bleakwoode, Kelda the Kyrie Warrior; Heroscape, Rise of the Valkyrie Master Set, Raelin the Kyrie Warrior; Heroscape, Swarm of the Marro Master Set, Raelin the Krie Warrior.

Unique Squad
    Medium 4

Life = 1
    Move = 4
    Range = 6
    Attack = 1
    Defense = 3
    60 Points

CIRCUITRY SELF-REPAIR 14
    After taking a turn with the Vindicators of Vydar, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, you may place one previously destroyed Vindicator of Vydar adjacent to any unengaged figure you control.

COMBINED ASSAULT
    Each turn, when rolling attack dice for the Vindicators of Vydar, start with a total of 5 attack dice for the entire squad. Each Vindicator of Vyadar on the battlefield must utilize at least 1 attack die. You may split the remaining attack dice among your attacking Vindicators of Vydar as you choose.

FLYING
    When counting spaces for Vindicators of Vydar movement, ignore elevations. Vindicators of Vydar may fly over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and fly over obstacles such as ruins. When a Vindicator of Vydar starts to fly, if it is engaged it will take any leaving engagement attacks.

Bio: Thoughts – since the Kyrie left Vydar according to HS lore, General Vydar used his tech skills to create this squad utilizing badly injured blastatrons and the wings of dead Kyrie – hence their planet is Valhalla because that is where they are created. General Vydar has had tech team build into the Vindicator circuitry the ability to put themselves back together on the battlefield.

Kai - can you change the name of this thread to "W3 - Vindicators of Vydar - Playtesting"? Thank you.

I am also going to use post #2 in this thread for the official and current information.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:55 pm

Really like these guys. Combined Assault for the power name doesn't really make sense as technically they are splitting/dividing the dice. Assault Advantage, Weakness Assault, Preferred Programming Assault, Iam an Assault- really got nothing better than combined assault at this point. Maybe Divided Assault?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:58 pm

Funny - I don't find you an assault, except to my senses on occasion. I'm up for a new name for that power. I'll give it some thought.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:58 pm

We got in a couple of play tests with the Vyndicators a couple of weeks ago. In my opinion, they were pretty darn fun and they added some strategy for both the controller and the opponent.

Here are my thoughts on the power in question . . .

Bump normal attack from 1 to 2 and change the power to this:

REDIRECTED PROGRAMMING
    Add 1 to the Vindicators of Vydar Attack and Move values on this Army Card for each Vindicator of Vydar you control that is not on the battlefield. A Vindicator of Vydar may not attack other friendly Vindicators of Vydar.

Thoughts? This is similar to the B-11 To the Last Man power.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:14 am