Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

+2
Nomad
Lord Kai
6 posters

W3 - Vindicators of Vydar - Final *

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W3 - Vindicators of Vydar - Final * - Page 3 Empty Re: W3 - Vindicators of Vydar - Final *

Post  Lord Kai Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:51 pm

I think the power change is pretty good. It simplifies the attack value and synergy, and makes them a little stronger. I like it.

3 Figures = Move 4 Attack 2 Defense 3
    2 Figures = Move 5 Attack 3 Defense 3
    1 Figure = Move 6 Attack 4 Defense 3

All with Range 6
    Nomad
    Nomad

W3 - Vindicators of Vydar - Final * - Page 3 Empty Re: W3 - Vindicators of Vydar - Final *

Post  Nomad Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:09 pm

Thanks. I would like to run a few play tests with them still at 60 points, but we may need to bump them up a bit.

Updating OP.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:45 pm

1st attempt on the card . . . the points may need to go up after further play testing.

W3 - Vindicators of Vydar - Final * - Page 3 VindicatorsofVydarNWHC

W3 - Vindicators of Vydar - Final * - Page 3 VindicatorsofVydarBasicNWHC
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:05 pm

Nomad wrote:
    REDIRECTED PROGRAMMING
    Add 1 to the Vindicators of Vydar Attack and Move values on this Army Card for each Vindicator of Vydar you control that is not on the battlefield. A Vindicator of Vydar may not attack other friendly Vindicators of Vydar.

Thoughts? This is similar to the B-11 To the Last Man power.

TO THE LAST MAN
    Add 1 to the B-11 Resistance Corps' Attack and Defense values for each previously destroyed B-11 Resistance Corps fighter on this Army Card. A B-11 Resistance Corps fighter may not attack other
    friendly B-11 Resistance Corps fighters.

I am not sure if you "control" figures that have already been destroyed.  Looking closers at the B-11 power, should the power read:

REDIRECTED PROGRAMMING
    Add 1 to the Vindicators of Vydar Attack and Move values for each Vindicator of Vydar on this Army Card. A Vindicator of Vydar may not attack other friendly Vindicators of Vydar.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:43 pm

I tried to word redirected programming just in case a figure was removed from the battlefield in the case of, oh, say Mistress Isadora, and taking into consideration that whole issue of previously destroyed and back in the game

But I agree the wording needs fixing.

I think your wording is the way to go for now. OP updated.

REDIRECTED PROGRAMMING
    Add 1 to the Vindicators of Vydar Attack and Move values for each Vindicator of Vydar on this Army Card. A Vindicator of Vydar may not attack other friendly Vindicators of Vydar.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:10 pm

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Vindicators of Vydar

THEME TEST: Are there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that do not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character should be able to do? Also consider whether or not this character's powers should affect destructible objects. PASS.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play? PASS. They fell fast against hot rolls and a lack of order markers on them.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying? PASS. Opponent’s strategy was to take them in one turn so that they didn’t have an opportunity to bump their stats or get rebuilt. It worked.

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable? PASS. Although Derek wasn’t able to get them repaired.

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game? PASS. These guys are going be difficult to play well, but they offer new strategy. Do you save them for clean-up when you can put multiple OMs on them? Do you send them out early to see what you can do and how many repairs you can get? The problem is if your opponent is able to take them out in a turn or two, that whole repair power is negated.

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately? PASS.

SYNERGIES TEST: Think of all the current cards that would have synergy with the unit card. Are there any factors that could break the game by making a unit too powerful or too weak? PASS. Derek used them Laglor to bump their range for a couple of rounds. But their attack was low enough with all three that they didn’t do a ton of damage.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be overamplified and break the game? PASS.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting? PASS. I like them! They can be very swingy – which was the point for their design. A nice filler for a Vydar army.

MIRROR TEST: Consider the test unit against itself. Are there any loops that would upset the balance of the Game? PASS.

ARMY TEST

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary. [insert pass/fail, point value, and brief summary] INCONCLUSIVE. Even with the recent change in the powers, I left the points at 60. Because they can be difficult to play and because they are so swingy, 60 points might just be right on. But, more playtests are needed.

Map: Bridging the Fields of Fire.

Army 1 (Derek): Laglor, Dund, Krav Maga Agents, Agent Carr, Doggin Trackers, Vindicators of Vydar = 580 points.
    VS
    Army 2 (Damon): Rechets Of Bogdan, Iskra Esenwein, Preyblood Thrall x4, Deathstrike Thrall x4, Nicholas Esenwein, Brunak = 590 points.

Battle Report: This was an incredibly fun battle. Damon won with only a 2-life Brunak left. The Thralls won with 74 points left, but was only able to pull it off after Nikolas killed all three Krav which rebirthed Thralls. Nikolas killed Laglor in one roll of the dice, but Agent Carr killed Nick in one roll of the dice – lots of skulls! The Vindicators did some damage early, shooting from range to take out a couple of thralls with Laglor’s range bonus. But, they got extended a bit and then Damon sent in Thralls to wipe them out in a couple of turns before they had a chance to repair or inflict more damage. Different OM placement could have changed their impact immensely.

Final thoughts: Keep all the stats and powers the same. Conduct more play tests.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:23 pm

Derek and I got a few more play tests in our camping trip.

The Vfj[Cooool, bon ben je vais me le toper dès que j'aurais un peu de sous à mettre la dedans ^^
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:26 pm

Great design .. let's get these guys Finalized!
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:07 pm

I'm not sure what happened to my previous post from a couple of weeks ago . . . looks like it was translated into French or something.

Whatever, I proposed that these guys go into final editing.

Not hearing any objections, here is my stab . . . a little rewording of the self-repair power to match the Marro Warriors and a slight change to the second power to more closely match the language of the B-11.

General: Vydar
    Planet: Valhalla

Species: Soulborg
    Unique Squad
    Class: Guard
    Personality: Persistent
    Medium 4

Life: 1
    Move: 4
    Range: 6
    Attack: 2
    Defense: 3
    60 Points

CIRCUITRY SELF-REPAIR 14
    After taking a turn with the Vindicators of Vydar, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, place a previously destroyed Vindicator of Vydar adjacent to any unengaged figure you control.

REDIRECTED PROGRAMMING
    Add 1 to the Vindicators of Vydar Attack and Move values for each previously destroyed Vindicator of Vydar on this Army Card. A Vindicator of Vydar may not attack other friendly Vindicators of Vydar.

FLYING
    When counting spaces for Vindicators of Vydar movement, ignore elevations. Vindicators of Vydar may fly over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and fly over obstacles such as ruins. When a Vindicator of Vydar starts to fly, if it is engaged it will take any leaving engagement attacks.

If these wording changes are acceptable, I vote we move the Vindicators to FINAL.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:10 pm

Any thoughts on the wording changes?

Final?
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:32 am

Nomad wrote:Any thoughts on the wording changes?

Final?

Looks good. I will update to Final Editing.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:49 pm

Thanks, Kai. One more vote needed to make them final. I have updated the 2nd post in this thread to reflect the changes in the wording.

Here is the bio - comments and suggestions requested.

Bio: As the battle of all-time waged, all of the Kyrie left the camp of General Vydar in disagreement over the direction and goals of Vydar's ambitions. Deep in his underground vaults, Vydar used the skills of his technical scientists to create a squad of hybrid soulborgs and Kyrie. Vydar had his Vindicators created from the spare parts of destroyed Blastatrons and the wings of dead, or mostly dead, Kyrie. Reclaiming the skies for Vydar, the Vindicators have been programmed with the ability to repair on the battlefield and direct their programming when most beneficial to Vydar's cause.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:27 pm

Updated card . . .

W3 - Vindicators of Vydar - Final * - Page 3 VindicatorsofVydarNWHC
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:51 pm

Looks really good!!!
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:52 pm

Looks awesome and error free, I agree these guys are ready for release.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:50 pm

OK - Kai, can you move change the Vindicators thread title to Final. If you have any thoughts on the bio, let me know.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:33 pm

I found a typo on the previous card. Here it is fixed and I made the background of the card lighter. I think I may go back and do that with other cards as well.

W3 - Vindicators of Vydar - Final * - Page 3 VindicatorsofVydarNWHC-1
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:46 pm

I kind of liked the "you may" part in there so that you may choose to play with 2 or 1 if desired, rather than having a mandatory roll. But I am good either way.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:55 pm

The "you may" part was dropped a few months ago to match the Marro Warriors cloning power. I think it is kind of implied that you don't have to roll if you don't want to, just as you don't have to roll for the Marro Warriors. Mostly, I just printed the card and don't want to change it Very Happy
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:33 pm

I think the big difference is "instead of attacking" which is where the choice lies for the Warriors. Here I see it as mandatory. I think we can live with it on our cards, but before we release I think we should make it clear that it is a choice if we want it that way, or leave it as is without the choice. Sorry I missed this earlier, when I read the "you" I intuitively added may.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:11 pm

The more I have thought about it, the more that I want to keep the text as is. I think after taking a turn with the Vindicators, you should have to roll for Circuitry Repair . . . because it is built into the programming of these Soulborgs. I have play tested these guys 10-12 times, and there has never been a case were I didn't want to try to repair a fallen one.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:25 am

Cool beans. Kai, I will work on a squad for you when time permits.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:39 pm

2nd post in thread updated with "Book of" information - let me know if I missed anything.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:48 pm

I cleaned up the card and improved the fogging. Please read through the second post in the thread to see if I missed anything or if you have any questions.

In my opinion, the Vindicators are ready for release.

W3 - Vindicators of Vydar - Final * - Page 3 VindicatorsofVydar2.NWHC

W3 - Vindicators of Vydar - Final * - Page 3 VindicatorsofVydar.Basic.NWHC

Last edited by Nomad on Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:14 am

Book looks good, didn't check against ours, newest c3v, and 3 (or 2) new SOV.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:52 am