Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W2 Jean de Ascalon - Released

Nomad
    Nomad

W2 Jean de Ascalon - Released Empty W2 Jean de Ascalon - Released

Post  Nomad Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Jean de Ascalon
    NWHC WAVE 2 - Reinforcements of the Taunting Tide - Heroes of Balearia

W2 Jean de Ascalon - Released JeandeAscalonR.NWHC W2 Jean de Ascalon - Released JeandeAscalon.BasicR.NWHC

Figure: Confrontation, Griffins of Akkylannie Templars Attachment Box

General: Einar
    Planet: Earth

Species: Human
    Unique Hero
    Class: Knight
    Personality: Inspiring
    Medium 5

Life: 2
    Move: 5
    Range: 1
    Attack: 2
    Defense: 4
    20 Points

WHEN THE BELL TOLLS
    For each unrevealed Order Marker on Jean de Ascalon's Army card you may add 1 when rolling the 20-sided die for initiative and for any special power on a Unique Army Card of a figure you control within 8 spaces of Jean de Ascalon.

Character Bio:
    Jean fought with determination at the battle of Ascalon, often inspiring his brethren with his own courage and words of bravery, but he found himself mortally wounded from an arrow to his throat. Jean was summoned to Valhalla with Baron Sebastion, Bishop Thaddeus, and his fellow Templars. Once in Valhalla, Jean was healed from his wounds but could no longer speak. General Einar, aware of Jean's unique abilities, bestowed to Jean an enchanted bell so that heroes of Valhalla who could hear its ring rather than Jean's voice would be inspired to greater feats on the battlefield.

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- N/A

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered

-When the Bell Tolls: Unique Army card’s with a 20-sided roll.
    Unique Army Card’s with a 20-sided roll may add 1 for every unrevealed Order Marker with Jean de Ascalon’s WHEN THE BELL TOLLS 20-sided roll enhancer. Unique Army Card’s with a 20-sided roll include: Grimnak, Ne Goksa, Kelda, Me Burqsa, Dund, DW 7000, Saylind, Deadeye, James Murphy, Sudema, Parmenio, Morsbane, Braxas, Jotun, Retarius, Kee moshi, Runa, Cyprien, Iskra, Isamu, Marcu, Hive, Sonlen, Torkulna, Arkmer, Emiroon, Dupious, Atlaga, Brave Arrow, Sujoah, Wosaga, Ana, Darrak, Estivara, Greater Ice, Morgrimm, Kurrok, Mind Flayer, Rhogar, Shurrak, Werewolf Lord, Warhulk ogre, Frost Giant, Ice Troll, Master of the Hunt, Elite Onyx, Sir Hawthorne, Arashara, Elaria, grigor & Rogirg, Manuvi, Mok, Gammacron, Torver, Uvall, Mistress Isadora, Tarn Viking Warriors, Ninja's of the Northern Wind, Elite Onyx Vipers, Marro Warriors.

-Ebon Armor: Animated Materiel/Eternal War
    Being a Unique Human Hero or Squad figure, if an Ebon Armor figure is destroyed you may place that Ebon Armor on Jean de Ascalons Card. If Jean de Ascalon is destroyed by a normal or special attack, or by a leaving engagement attack, you may replace Jean de Ascalon with that Ebon Armor on the battlefield.

Synergy Benefits Received

- Concan the Kyrie Warrior: Knight and Sentinel Enhancement
    As a Knight, Jean de Ascalon may benefit from Concan the Kyrie Warrior’s KNIGHT AND SENTINEL ENHANCEMENT attack and defense bonus.

-COUNT RAYMOND: Maneuver 9
    As a human who follows Einar, Jean de Ascalon may benefit from Count Raymond's MANEUVER 9 power to ignore leaving engagement attacks.

Synergy Imposed

- N/A

Last edited by Nomad on Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:05 pm; edited 19 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated OP)
    Nomad
    Nomad

W2 Jean de Ascalon - Released Empty Re: W2 Jean de Ascalon - Released

Post  Nomad Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:43 pm

that +1 on a 20-sider might be too powerful when teamed with Braxas, Cyprien, or Nilf with a 10 point figure.

Another option would be +1 for initiative, terrain effects (lava), and glyph powers . . . so, just excluding special powers on cards.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:26 pm

Love the simplicity. I think 10 pts is OK for a 1 life hero without any defensive abilities. Maybe 20 pts if playtesting deems it. The only other option I could see would be limiting it to non Valkrill/Utgar units but I like another 10 pt hero filler option for all factions.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:26 pm

Yeah for 10-points this guy would be in every army with a d20 roll : P

Imagine him boosting Frenzy, or Skeleton's Necromancy, or worse yet - Stinger Drain. Yikes!!!

I appreciate the idea of inexpensive filler units but not sure on this miniature for that purpose.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:04 pm

Kai wrote:I appreciate the idea of inexpensive filler units but not sure on this miniature for that purpose.
    What about?

Damon wrote:Another option would be +1 for initiative, terrain effects (lava), and glyph powers . . . so, just excluding special powers on cards.
    Any ideas strike you as plausible for this miniature?

The "bell tolls" and the beginning of each round in boxing . . . so the +1 initiative seems to fit, I think.

Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:36 pm

To keep his value in check you could go with something like

When the Bell Tolls

You may add 1 to your 20-sided initiative roll and for any special power 20-sided roll for any unique hero within 8 clear sight spaces.

Makes him get out of the safety zone to be used where his low life would come into play. I wouldn't mind seeing him with 2 life at 20 pts. I like helping the commons but you could still hide him in the corner with 1 squad member to gain the bonus. I like the enchanted bell idea and the figurine.

Another idea would be for each order marker placed on Jean's card you may add or subtract 1 to your 20-sided roll.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:50 pm

Derek wrote:Another idea would be for each order marker placed on Jean's card you may add or subtract 1 to your 20-sided roll.
    I like that idea. I will theory-scape it a bit.

Do a range on his +1 20-sider might limit the points, but I'm worried that he might end up boosting Braxas and Nilf . . . which I don't want. Maybe we just make it for humans or something?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:08 am

I don't think Nilf has a 20-sided roll, so I am curious who you meant? A magic bell that might give Braxas or Cyprien an extra number is ok with me. It happens to miss a die roll by one but not that much in my playing. Kill the bum first (shouldn't be too hard) if you are that worried about the extra # for the roll. I still don't see this guy as as much of a game change as Isamu and his 10 pts, I like the idea and it can be tweaked if playtesting shows (although brainstorming first).
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:58 am

You could have the d20 boost be only for Small, Medium, and Large figures.  C3V did that with Myrrdin so that he couldn't boost Braxas.

I also like the Order Marker placement as being the boost.  Maybe like Concentrated Will ... you get +1 on the d20 rolls for each Unrevealed Order Marker on Jean.  So likely it will just be the "X" but you could get a +2 if you have OM3 on him.

I could also see him as 2-Life and 20 points like Kyntela.

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Derek wrote:I don't think Nilf has a 20-sided roll, so I am curious who you meant?
    Just typing without thinking. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the input, fellows. I will type up a new version of the power in a bit.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:36 pm

I've updated the OP based on suggestions. Let me know what you think.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:11 am

He's growing on me. The +1 isn't so bad.

So normally, Jean will have the "X" OM on his card. You would need to invest another OM (probably OM3) to get him to +2 on the d20. He can certainly help Baron Sebastian so he fits in well as filler for the Templars of Ascalon build.

Because he is a Cleric, he can bond with the Sacred Fusiliers. That means they can move him up into the 8-range position for his bonus without a 2nd OM on him.

What if he was added to a Viper Army? As long as he is with 8-spaces of a Viper left in the start zone, they'll have + 1 on Frenzy. Same for Aubrien Archers.

What do you think of extending his +1 to Large and Huge? I guess you are worried about Braxas or Grimnak .. but he could boost Dund or a Frost Giant, or even the new Wolfen Hero - Manauvi.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:25 pm

I meant to include large. OP changed.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:17 pm

I wouldn't mind if huge was included as well. Cuts down on the language, costs an investment of order markers so I don't think it would be overpowering. I like this guy.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:44 am

If you both want to include huge figures, we can do that.

What do you think if we made the d-20 work for only unique cards? This would prevent the add on to Frenzy that Kai was concerned about.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:55 am

What do you think if we made the d-20 work for only unique cards?
    Good thought here, keeps you from leaving him in the start zone to get the bonus.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:31 pm

Keeping it to just Unique Heroes will certainly keep the points down.

Powerful combos with Commons:
    Skeletons of Annellintia
    Venoc Vipers
    Aubrien Archers
    Fire Elemental

Cool Unique Combos:
    Braxas
    Marro Hive
    Kurrok

Fun to try:
    Baron Sebastian ... helps Forced March
    Parmenio ... maybe a +1 will help "Defy Death" : P
    Sonlen ... Mr. d20 roll
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:45 pm

OP updated with latest input.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:51 pm

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Jean de Ascalon

THEME TEST: Are there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that do not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character should be able to do? Also consider whether or not this character's powers should affect destructible objects. PASS.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play? PASS – about as much fun as a 20-point filler unit can be.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying? PASS.

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable? PASS. Jean’s army rolled the 20-sider a total of 12 times, but the +1 didn’t make a difference on any of the rolls.

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game? PASS. Not any real strategy. The range of 8 with the bell is pretty lengthy, so Jean stayed in the start zone until he was the last figure left.

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately? PASS. Can bond with the Fusiliers, but there aren’t any loops.

SYNERGIES TEST: Think of all the current cards that would have synergy with the unit card. Are there any factors that could break the game by making a unit too powerful or too weak? PASS. I don’t think we need to worry about Jean being too powerful.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be overamplified and break the game? PASS.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting? PASS. I think he would be preferred over Marcu as a 20-point filler when you have some unique units in your army that has a 20-sided roll, maybe.

MIRROR TEST: Consider the test unit against itself. Are there any loops that would upset the balance of the Game? PASS.

ARMY TEST 1

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary. [insert pass/fail, point value, and brief summary] PASS. Jean didn’t get his 20 points worth, but he was involved in every round with the bell power.

Map: Jungle Hill

Units:

Army 1: Jean de Ascalon, Sonlen, Master of the Hunt, James Murphy, Deadeye Dan = 455 points

VS

Army 2: Q-9, Raelin v1, Stingers x3, Isamu = 450 points.

Sonlen and Dead-eye died within the first 3 rounds by Stingers without doing much. James Murphy and the Master of the Hunt took care of all but one Stinger in the battle over the hill. The highlight was having the Master throw a 5/5 skull roll on Raelin for four wounds and then finishing her with his Mortal Strike power. Q-9 then took over the game killing the last three figures. Jean and Q-9 went face to face to end the battle leaving no questions. The A+ team finished with 210 points left.

Final thoughts: I am happy with Jean de Ascalon after the play test. With his When the Bell Tolls special power, it should only be of benefit once every 20 rolls. He is not a game change, but a 20 point filler shouldn’t be.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:03 pm

If he was a Valiant Warrior - he would have Bonding with the Templars of Ascalon.  That might help get him out of the Start Zone and keeping up with Baron Sebastian.  Saylind is also a hero that bonds with the Templars .. so she would benefit from The Bell.

You could also go with Human Champion, sort of like Eldrimm, and then keep Jean close to Sir Hawthorne to avoid the Backstab : P

I'd also recommend a bump to 5 Move.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:33 pm

I like him as a Cleric given his sculpt. He boosts Ana's Healing Word, bonds with Fusiliers, and as Devout he has some synergy going on with the Templars of Ascalon faction already. But I might be able to be talked out of it - Derek, what do you think?

An increase to a move of 5 is a good idea. Thanks for the feedback.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:28 pm

I think I wish I was up there playtesting with you. The bell feels more clericy than valiant warriory but I am not struck by one so much over the other one. Let's roll with him a bit more and see if one or the other or something else would feel more appropriate.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:22 pm

The more I have thought about it . . . I would like him to be a cleric only because it fit into my previous design of the Fusiliers. But they only really benefit Ana in that faction. He looks like a Templar, so I'm thinking he should be Valiant Warrior - more bonding options for the Templars . . . Clerics can and will be designed another time. My goal was really to create a 20 point filler and use a figure that we already have purchased, so that doesn't mess with my goal.

So . . . I'm going to change the OP (also increasing move to 5). We still got play testing and final editing to do, so this isn't a done deal.

Blessings!
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:22 am

Just kind of a thought here, but maybe his personality could be Inspiring. But then unfortunately you would lose some of the bonding options.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:04 pm

Q: Does QUEEN OF THIEVES help squad figures outside the aura if there is a squad figure from the same Army Card within range of the aura?

A: No, only figures inside the Aura benefit from Elaria's bonus.

This is a ruling on Elaria the Pale's card. So the Frenzy bonus or such would only work for characters within his range (so if the bonus was needed to get frenzy and you only had one Venoc Viper within his range, you only get to move the one..... I guess.) Just something I noticed.

I got the army pulled to playtest him, hopefully I get a chance today. Thank you for having the stats in the OP, it makes it a lot easier to see where they are at than digging through the thread to get the current stats.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 12:09 am