Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W2 Barbery Corsairs- released

Derek S
    Derek S

W2 Barbery Corsairs- released - Page 3 Empty Re: W2 Barbery Corsairs- released

Post  Derek S Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:29 pm

Sounds like we'll save the Pay, Join, or Die for a hero.

Constructs, Soulborgs, and Undead are not affected by Pay, Die, or Join.

Are there any Constructs? How about Elementals and Soulborgs are not affected.
    But I guess we can save that discussion for a hero to come.
    So this is where the Corsairs currently are. The changes to plunder I do not think will need to dismiss previous playtests.

General- Utgar?
    Name- Barbary Corsairs
    common squad
    class- pirates
    species- human
    personality- Maurading
    size- medium
    height- 5
    life- 1
    move- 5
    range- 1
    attack- 3
    defense- 3
    points- 60

PLUNDER
    After moving and before attacking, if at least 2 Barbary Corsairs are engaged with a figure occupying a glyph you may place that glyph on a space that one of the Barbary Corsairs occupies. If at least 2 Barbary Corsairs end their movement engaged with a figure carrying a glyph, you may place that glyph on any empty space adjacent to one of the Barbary Corsairs.

Reckless Hero Bonding
    Before taking a turn with the Barbary Corsairs, you may first take a turn with any Hero you control who has the reckless personality.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:04 pm

Derek S wrote:Sounds like we'll save the Pay, Join, or Die for a hero.

Constructs, Soulborgs, and Undead are not affected by Pay, Die, or Join.

Are there any Constructs?  How about Elementals and Soulborgs are not affected.

Yes, the Elementals are Constructs, and so is the Iron Golem.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:54 pm

I don't think it is a good idea to mix class (construct) and species (soulborg) for immunity to the same power. It should either be class listed or species listed, in this case I think Soulborg and elementals are the best (maybe undead), although maybe there is a precedent set for doing so then we could go Constructs and Soulborgs.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:26 pm

Good point ... it should be Species so Elemental, Soulborg, and Undead.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:56 pm

Although, it isn't so much a special power that affects the opponent as it is a choice for the opposing general to decide to pay a ransom or not, simply be destroyed, or for the defending figure to join the ranks of piracy. So I don't think any figure should be immune.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:34 am

Derek S wrote:Although, it isn't so much a special power that affects the opponent as it is a choice for the opposing general to decide to pay a ransom or not, simply be destroyed, or for the defending figure to join the ranks of piracy.  So I don't think any figure should be immune.

I get the concept of joining the ranks of piracy but I don't think that translates well to the Heroscape game mechanic. I could see this power affecting any Species if it was like Ne-Gok-Sa's Mindshackle - where you take control of the actual figure. Heroscape has not done this with Common figures probably because of the logistics of only one Army card being on the table for the opponent to then place Order Markers on.

So the Zombie-style "replace with a previous pirate" is the way to go ... but since this is not a supernatural or magic power ... I'm having trouble visualizing a Fire Elemental or Quasatch Hunter joining the Pirates.

There is a Pirate figure from Pathfinder that has a glowing energy around one hand - like she's a spell-caster. I could see her having a Mindshackle power that grabs Uniques.

So it is a cool concept but I'm having trouble with this one. Sorry.

Maybe it plays better than I am envisioning it over text/email.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:56 pm

Kai wrote:I get the concept of joining the ranks of piracy but I don't think that translates well to the Heroscape game mechanic. I could see this power affecting any Species if it was like Ne-Gok-Sa's Mindshackle - where you take control of the actual figure. Heroscape has not done this with Common figures probably because of the logistics of only one Army card being on the table for the opponent to then place Order Markers on.

So the Zombie-style "replace with a previous pirate" is the way to go ... but since this is not a supernatural or magic power ... I'm having trouble visualizing a Fire Elemental or Quasatch Hunter joining the Pirates.

There is a Pirate figure from Pathfinder that has a glowing energy around one hand - like she's a spell-caster. I could see her having a Mindshackle power that grabs Uniques.

So it is a cool concept but I'm having trouble with this one. Sorry.

Maybe it plays better than I am envisioning it over text/email.

Elementals becoming Zombies is odd as well, as are a lot of different concepts in heroscape, I don't really see as unimaginable. There certainly might be some qualifications if this thought ever hits the design process- who knows if or when an appropriate mini is found.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:26 pm

Yeah, you can get away with using "magic" to explain just about anything .. which is why the Zombies can "magically" convert Elementals into more Zombies.

I do think that taking control of Common figures is something that hasn't been explored in Heroscape because of the logistics (I grab your Aubrien Archer but I don't get a copy of the Army Card unless I take yours - so how to I put OM's on him). That might be something to explore in a future custom.

If you want to play-test the Pay, Join, or Die ... either squad or hero ... just let me know what wording you want to go with for play-testing.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:40 pm

Yeah, you can get away with using "magic" to explain just about anything .. which is why the Zombies can "magically" convert Elementals into more Zombies.

Zombies kill a figure thus infecting them thus turning them into a zombie is the way I understand the mechanics of heroscape to represent the action that is occurring. I never really considered it "magical" at all, although my interpretation could be wrong. In the pay, die, or join case the opposing general would have a choice to pay ransom for the character, the character would be destroyed, or the character would "choose" to become a pirate. No control of a common or unique as I see it, the figure becomes a pirate. But, we all decided it would fit better for hero and I have no plans at this point of a design for that hero, or the mini for that hero. So it really is a mute discussion at this time.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:46 pm

Mute?

Bummer.

I'm going to chime in anyways. I don't see the power as being magical at all.

The figure that would be destroyed simply becomes a Pirate - no army card transfer is needed. The pirate comes from the crop of previously destroyed pirates. It is not that the pirate is being rebirthed like the Hive does for Marro. It is more like the Zombie action - the figure turns into a zombie by infection, the army card doesn't matter - it is now a zombie. Likewise, when a 18+ or whatever is rolled, the figure ceases to be a 4th Reg. of Foot and now becomes a pirate and has the same powers/stats as the rest of the pirates. That 4th figure has joined the ranks of pirate-hood. With the roll of 18+ or whatever, the 4th decided to become a pirate to spare his own life. No magic involved.

Anyways, I can see the mechanics and think it is a great twist without seeing any issues in HS folklore - but I could be persuaded otherwise. This is just how I perceived the power. We can debate it when it comes up for a pirate hero later.

Mute button pushed.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:45 pm

Mute?

Bummer.

I'm going to chime in anyways. I don't see the power as being magical at all.

The figure that would be destroyed simply becomes a Pirate - no army card transfer is needed. The pirate comes from the crop of previously destroyed pirates. It is not that the pirate is being rebirthed like the Hive does for Marro. It is more like the Zombie action - the figure turns into a zombie by infection, the army card doesn't matter - it is now a zombie. Likewise, when a 18+ or whatever is rolled, the figure ceases to be a 4th Reg. of Foot and now becomes a pirate and has the same powers/stats as the rest of the pirates. That 4th figure has joined the ranks of pirate-hood. With the roll of 18+ or whatever, the 4th decided to become a pirate to spare his own life. No magic involved.

Anyways, I can see the mechanics and think it is a great twist without seeing any issues in HS folklore - but I could be persuaded otherwise. This is just how I perceived the power. We can debate it when it comes up for a pirate hero later.

Mute button pushed.

Yeah, hopefully we can find an appropriate mini for the hero and resume discussion. I took an adequate look a couple of days ago and didn't really find any minis that struck me for this (or some version of it) power.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:26 am

C3V PUBLIC PLAY TEST FEEDBACK COMPREHENSIVE-FORM
    C3V Public Playtest Form

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Barbary Corsairs and Suds.

THEME TEST: Are there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that do not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character should be able to do? Also consider whether or not this character's powers should affect destructible objects.

The Loot power definitely fits the power theme.  Reckless hero bonding is awesome but I am not so sure that some pirate hero's weren't something very different from Reckless. Fail.

Suds theme works very well I think.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play?

The Corsairs are nothing exceptional, but nor are most heroscape units.  They feel like Pirates, look like pirates and were fun to play.  Pass

Suds is fun.  He provides a unique decision in regards to heroscape as how to be played.  I really enjoy him.  Pass

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying?

Corsairs.  Nothing annoying and they are acceptable to play against. Pass

Suds.   Suds is incredibly swingy, he can put a big hurt on in the right situation but can also die easily (after 3 attacks this game).  He could be considered annoying if he was able to survive multiple rounds and throw down multiple big attacks. inconclusive

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable?

Corsairs-  Plunder removed the disengage treasure glyph from Parmenio but it did not matter.  Reckless hero bonding was used every turn.  Being able to plunder a glyph to a more advantagous position is very appealing and I don't think should be underestimated.  Pass, barely

Suds-  His reckless abandon is mandatoraly usable, and very much part of his usefulness.  Pass

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game?

Corsairs- they don't offer or change much to the tactics of existing heroscape figures.  Loot could be game changing in the right circumstances.  Inconclusiv

Suds- his strategy and use are very new on both how to use him and how to play against him.  Pass

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately?  

Corsairs- bond with Evar, Suds, Manuvi, and Martial.  there are no bonding loops.  Pass

Suds- bonds with Corsairs.  Pass.

SYNERGIES TEST: Think of all the current cards that would have synergy with the unit card. Are there any factors that could break the game by making a unit too powerful or too weak?

Not that I can see.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be overamplified and break the game? Each power should define when it takes place, who or what it affects, and what conditions (if any) apply.

Corsairs- the glyphs and their ability to take/move them is very strong.  The order and mechanics of their powers are appropriate.  Pass

Suds- if Suds gets a glyph and height and it is later in the round it is too much what he can do.  Fail.  All of his powers make sense with mechanics of game play.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting?

Corsairs- if you like Pirates.  They are middle of the road at 60-65 points.

Suds- yes, if you are playing other pirates.  

MIRROR TEST: Consider the test unit against itself. Are there any loops that would upset the balance of the Game?

Not that I see.

ARMY TEST 1

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary.

Corsairs-  yes, they performed awesomely.  They destroyed 2 1/4 squads of Sacred Band, Arashara, and put 2 wounds on Parmenio, and 3 on Marcus. They had the +1 defense and defended quite well.  they plundered a treasure glyph from Parmenio.  Their bonding with multiple mid-level point hero's is nice.  That should not be overlooked in pointing them.  I think 65 is right

Suds- He fell to 3 total attacks, although he defended 1 without damage.  He did kill 2 Sacred Band and put 3 wounds on Parmenio.  Even with his limited roll here I think 110 might be right with a base of 2 attack.  

Map: [A stroll through the park-custom 1RoTV, 2 Ticalla Jungle]
    Units: Army 1: [Arashara, Marcus, Parmenio, 3x Sacred Band vs. Martial, Manuvi, Suds, Corsairs x 4]

The Pirates spread out a bit going for the glyphs and moving in backups.  Manuvi got a treasure glyph in the middle and went for a suicide mission killing a Sacred Band and putting a couple of wounds on Marcus before falling and giving his bonus to Martial.  Martial did quite a bit of damage- 4 wounds on Arashara and killing a Sacred Band before being shifted and wiped out.  At this point I thought the Sacred Band were going to roll, but then the Corsairs started taking out Sacred after Sacred without narely losing a Pirate.  Suds got height on one of the rock bridges and threw down some nice attacks but only got 2 Sacred (who had engaged him) and put a few wounds on Marcus.  The pirates reeked havoc on the Band and finished of the hero's, although Parmenio did take out 2 before falling.

Final Thoughts:

The Corsairs win with 2 full squads left- @ 65 pts that is 130pts left.  The game was closer than the final points showed and I am comfortable with 65 points for the Corsairs.  I think Suds should be bumped to 110 with a base attack of 2 or have his attack only be raised a max of 2 for revealed order markers (I like his defense dropping to 1 so I don't want that changed).  Love some input on the results.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:11 pm

C3V PUBLIC PLAY TEST FEEDBACK COMPREHENSIVE-FORM
    C3V Public Playtest Form

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Barbary Corsairs and Suds.

THEME TEST: Are there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that do not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character should be able to do? Also consider whether or not this character's powers should affect destructible objects.

Corsairs are thematic. The changed loot power lets them gain glyphs in often more advantageous positions thus easier to hold. I like the change made here. Martial has been beastly through bonding and that makes me a little nervous.

Suds theme works very well I think, although I thought hard about giving him a cap of +2 on his attack, it really didn't matter this game. I would love some input on this.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play?

The Corsairs have been tough 2 games in a row. I think they are fun. Pass

Suds is fun. He provides a unique decision in regards to hescape as how to be played. I really enjoy him, still not sure if there should be a cap on his + attack, a points bump, or a reduction to 1 on his base attack. Pass

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying?

Corsairs. Nothing annoying and they are acceptable to play against. Pass

Suds. Suds would have been down to 1 life if he hadn't rolled a 16 with the scarab of invulnerability. He is very close if not there already. In the right circumstances he will be a beast, but I think he will fall quickly more often than not. Pass

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable?

Corsairs- Plunder removed the scarab of invulnerability from Parmenio early and Marcus late. Plunder also gave the Pirate team the +1 unique attack glyph from the Band. Hugely influential in this game. Pass

Suds- His reckless abandon is mandatoraly usable, and very much part of his usefulness. Pass

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game?

Corsairs- they don't offer or change much to the tactics of existing heroscape figures. Plunder I think was the difference of the game. Pass

Suds- his strategy and use are very new on both how to use him and how to play against him. Pass

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately?

Corsairs- bond with Evar, Suds, Manuvi, and Martial. there are no bonding loops. Martial can be hugely tough with the +2 move from Manuvi and the bonding. Close but pass.

Suds- bonds with Corsairs. Pass.

SYNERGIES TEST: Think of all the current cards that would have synergy with the unit card. Are there any factors that could break the game by making a unit too powerful or too weak?

Martial is making me a bit nervous after the last 2 tests, but Arashara and Parmenio both have glass jaws. Suds with attack auras could be close to broken.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be overamplified and break the game? Each power should define when it takes place, who or what it affects, and what conditions (if any) apply.

Corsairs- the glyphs and their ability to take/move them is very strong. The order and mechanics of their powers are appropriate. Pass

Suds- if Suds gets a glyph and height and it is later in the round it is too much what he can do. Fail. All of his powers make sense with mechanics of game play.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting?

Corsairs- Proved pretty fun with their plunder. at 65 points I think they are competitive.

Suds- yes, if you are playing other pirates or you load him up with markers.

MIRROR TEST: Consider the test unit against itself. Are there any loops that would upset the balance of the Game?

Not that I see.

ARMY TEST 1

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary.

Corsairs- yes, they performed very well, taking 2 3/4 squads of the Band out, putting a few wounds on Parmenio, a couple on Marcus, Plundering the +1 unique attack glyph and the scarab of invulnerability twice.

Suds- yes, he destroyed 3 Band and put a total of 4 wounds on Marcus. If he hadn't had the Scarab he would have been down to 1 life. He also blocked a few skulls when rolling 2 defensive dice.

Map: [A stroll through the park-custom 1RoTV, 2 Ticalla Jungle]
    Units: Army 1: [Arashara, Marcus, Parmenio, 3x Sacred Band vs. Martial, Manuvi, Suds, Corsairs x 4]

Manuvi did the suicide mission again killing 1 Band and putting 2 wounds on Parmenio before giving the bonus to Martial. Both teams spread out a little more this game creating various skirmishes across the board. Parmenio and a couple of Sacred won the battle for the center of the map but Parmenio (tactical mistake) pulled back while the 2 Band pressed forward to get a few pirates. Parmenio did so to join the bigger number of Band that were moving to protect the Unique attack glyph. This allowed Martial and the pirates to gain advantage, though not #'s in the center. Parmenio took a beating and numerous Band fell. A lone Pirate moved around the backside preventing 3 Band from reinforcing the center. Arashara shifted the sands and her and a few bands started to chip away at Martial, but not quick enough. Martial destroyed Arashara and 3 Band and finished of Parmenio in the exchange before the band finally felled Martial and the 4 pirates that made it to the scuffle. Marcus took out the lone Pirate near their start zone before pushing across the center of the map with 2 Band while the 3 Band protecting the glyph holder situated themselves to assist either the center of the map or the glyph. Meanwhile the Pirates and Suds circled around the side for the glyph while a couple of Pirates took turns harassing and tying down the center guys. This allowed the Pirates to Plunder a glyph after Suds took out a band member that was blocking their way. The pirates and Suds had 1 turn where they blocked all 4 attacks thrown their way (Suds with only 2 defense). The next turn 3 sacred fell leaving 1 and Marcus. The last Sacred fell next turn and Marcus lost a turn. Marcus fought valiantly but fell to Suds and a 6 attack roll. He had 2 attacks on Suds, put 1 wound on him and would have done 2 more if not for the Scarab. A real tight and interesting game.

Final Thoughts:

The Pirates won with 1 squad and a 3 life Suds left for 131 pts. Martial was the real deal in this one. Parmenio deciding to retreat instead of aiding the 2 band and when the Pirates and Suds blocked the 4 attacks were the difference I think. The pirates seem dead on at 65. Suds is close.

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:43 pm

Thanks for the awesome and detailed reports. That second battle sounded like fun, strategic, and "only if . . ." for the Band.

Good to see the Pirates do some plundering! Sounds like they are good to go, and I concur from our previous play tests.

I've seen Suds in action for 4-5 games and with your play test reports, I feel like dropping attack to 2 is good and maybe raising his points to 110, but I'm not sold on that yet. In the three games I played against Suds, I made sure that I went after him first because of his potential. He does have a glass jaw.

I wouldn't worry about the Martial for hire, which I think makes a perfect pirate hero. He is usually only brought in for clean-up when he can pick and choose who to go after while others are tied down. At least that has been my experience. Try running him out first with the pirates as their lead bonder . . . I have a feeling he would get cut down early or end up having to attack his own pirates - very Reckless.

If Manuavi makes you nervous, you can change the bonding option to Reckless Human. This would keep Martial, but eliminate Manauvi and Evar Scarcarver.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:55 am

This is kind of an odd thought and hasn't been done before I think. But what about have their bonding be with Reckless or Ruthless (human?) hero? Currently there are no Ruthless but Red Skull, but I think it would capture both types of eventual Pirate leaders. Another option would be to have a quartermaster figure that can change personality from reckless to ruthless or ruthless to reckless, kind of a liaison between the mates and the captain. Kind of like this idea.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:49 am

You can do something like Parmenio's Disciplined Influence power.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:56 pm

Would you rather have a Quartermaster character that can change personality, or have dual personality options on their card?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:30 pm

Would the Quartermaster be able to change only one hero's personality or more than one hero?

Could the hero's personality change from any personality, or just between reckless and ruthless? Would the hero have to be a human?

I guess at this point, I prefer keeping the Reckless Hero bonding option on the Corsairs, but that does mean making the personality of future pirate heroes Reckless as well.

Maybe have the Quartermaster's power to be able to change any and all Unique Pirate Heroes to Reckless so they could bond with the Pirates.

Also, did you have any thoughts on:

Damon wrote:If Manuavi makes you nervous, you can change the bonding option to Reckless Human. This would keep Martial, but eliminate Manauvi and Evar Scarcarver.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:29 pm

I hadn't put too much thought into the quartermaster yet. I like the idea of any pirate hero being reckless with his change, hopefully I can find an appropriate miniature and we can work on it. As far as Manuavi goes I think a move +2 bonus is hefty, and that fault lies with Manuavi not the Pirates. I like Evarscarver bonding so I would like to keep it all relentless, not just human relentless. The Manuavi/Martial combo has been pretty good though so I would still like a few more tests here.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:37 pm

It was an afternoon of Pirates on the Frozen Tundra : )  It was Dzu-Teh versus Barbary Corsairs (with Cultists as proxy pirates).

MAP:
    Spoiler:

Pirates x3
    “Suds”
    Martial LaHire
    Manauvi
    Isamu

versus

Dzu-Teh Yeti x3
    Frostwolf x3
    Gald’rabock

ROUND 1: Yeti’s win initiative (15, 5)
    Pirates - Pirates OM 1, 2, 3 Suds OM X
    Yeti - Frostwolf OM 1, 2 Gald OM 3 Yeti X

Frostwolf moves up and bonds with Yeti’s to take position.  Pirates have Manauvi lead the way and both armies are within walking distance of a Power Glyph.  The Frostwolf moves into position adjacent to a Glyph and uses its Range 4 to attack a Pirate from height but (0/4 on the attack).  Yeti takes the glyph (Lodin) and then other DzuTeh position near glaciers.  On OM2’s the Pirates are ready to move up.  “Suds” could move and take a shot at the Yeti on the Glyph but since the Frostwolf counts as a glacier, the Yeti Camouflage means no normal ranged attacks.  Instead Mana’ grabs a treasure – a Scarab of Invulnerability.  For OM3, the Ice Devil – Gald’rabock moves out of the start zone and stares down the Wolfen hero.  For the Pirates – Suds moves up to take a big shot on the Frostwolf and rolls 4 out of 5 skulls (Boom!).  The Corsairs move to plunder the glyph, as maybe the Lodin glyph can help Mana’s Battle Frenzy.  The Pirates destroy the Yeti and a 3rd marauder takes the Initiative Glyph to end the round.

ROUND 2: Pirates win initiative (9 + 8 = 17, vs 16)
    Yeti - Frostwolf OM 1, 2 Gald OM 3, X

“Suds” moves into position and more pirates advance.  A new Frostwolf moves out to take a ranged ice-breath at a Pirate for a kill.  A DzuTeh grabs height and takes out the pirate on the Initiative glyph.  The reckless rabble respond with Mana slices up a Yeti and then other pirates moving into position.  The Frostwolves again look for bonding options while sending a 2 skull ice breath blast at Mana.  A perfect defense roll stops the attack on the Wolfen.  The Yeti’s then make a mass glacial traverse though it is risky to move closer to the pirates without any more OM’s.  On OM3 – “Suds” takes point and snipes a Frostwolf with 3/5 skulls.  Pirates move up and make three attacks (all 2 skulls) but only 1 Yeti goes down (very lucky to roll 2/3 shields on two defense rolls).  Now it is the Ice Devil’s turn.  Gald’rabock takes height on both Mana and the pirate on the Initiative glyph.  I decide to go with a normal attack from heigh instead of the Special Ice-Storm attack to take out the initiative glyph pirate.  I roll 3/5 skulls and the pirate scares me with 2/3 shields but he still falls.

ROUND 3: DzuTeh win initiative (7 vs 2 + 1 = 3)
    Yeti - Yeti’s OM 1, 2 Gald OM 3 Frostwolf X

Didn’t risk the Frostwolf OM bonding, so go with DzuTeh OM’s.  Yeti’s pounce scoring 2 kills though a third pirate rolls 2/3 shields to hold out against 5 attack dice.  Mana slides over to the Initiative Glyph and attacks up at the Ice Devil, inflicting a wound and no Battle Frenzy.  A Corsair takes out a Yeti on height but no other kills.  Starting with OM2 – there are 5 Yeti’s and 5 Pirates remaining.  The Yeti’s take out 2 pirates and take a shot on “Suds” who defends successfully.  “Suds” returns fire – point blank at a Yeti so no Camouflage (4/5 skulls!).  For OM3, the Ice Devil leaves engagement with Mana (taking a 2nd wound) to use his Ice Storm SA on “Suds” and a Pirate (then heals 1 for being on an ice space).  “Suds” defends but the pirate squad member rolls 0/4 on shields.  On O3 “Suds” has height and three possible targets – 2 Yeti’s each 2 spaces away next to a glacier and Gald’rabock.  He goes for the big devil – rolling 6 attack dice (2 + 3 OM’s + height) for 3 skulls.  The Ice Devil rolls only 1 shield (down to 2 life).  

ROUND 4: DzuTeh win initiative (18 vs 6 + 8 = 14)
    Pirates - Pirates OM 1, X Suds OM 2 Manauvi 3
    Yeti - Yeti’s OM 2, X Gald OM 3 Frostwolf 1

Lucky Tundra army wins initiative and gets a bonding action with the Frostwolf, but the frozen puppy fails to wound a pirate.  I decide to bond with the Ice Devil to heal a wound this turn.  Gald’rabock goes for a height attack on Mana but only gets one wound (leaving the Wolfen with 4 life and a Scarab).  On OM1 the Pirate go and “Suds” grabs a Cloak of Invisibility that was adjacent to a Yeti.  The DzuTeh is dropped by a 2/3 skull attack, leaving 3 Yeti’s and then the two remaining pirates attack and take out the last Frostwolf.  The Yeti’s move out on OM2 but despite a 5 die attack on “Suds” don’t inflict any wounds.  The pirate captain is up on OM2 and he steps to even ground and chops at a Yeti for 3/4 skulls for a kill.  OM3 is Gald’rabock who is engaged with Mana and a pirate so I go with an Ice Storm SA centered on himself rolling 2/3 skulls.  The pirate rolls a perfect 3/3 shields but Mana whiffs so he pops the Scarab.  Cold Healing brings Gald’rabock to 4 Life.  OM3 is the Reckless Wolfen champion who is on the Initiative glyph.  Mana rolls 2/5 skulls which are block, but he gets a Battle Frenzy for another attack which gets through for one wound but no further frenzies.  

ROUND 5: DzuTeh win initiative (19 vs 2 + 8 = 10)
    Yeti - Yeti’s OM 3, X Gald OM 1, 2

Okay, not sure what the point of the Glyph of Dagmar is for the pirate faction.  Gald’rabock is up and sends another Ice Storm SA, this time for just 1 skull which is easily blocked.  Pirates are up and with only 2 left, one of the pirates retreats to the start zone to keep the flexibility of Order Markers.  Mana does get two slices in on Gald’rabock thanks to one frenzy and puts two wounds through on the Ice Devil.  The other pirate gets a wound in as well.  On OM2, Gald’rabock goes for the single 5-die attack on Mana but only gets 1 wound.  A pirate and Mana respond but no wounds on the Ice Devil.  Now it is the Yeti’s turn.  They drop 1 wound on “Suds” but the second pirate defends.  Manu gets another wound on Gald’rabock (leaving the Ice Devil with 1 Life).

ROUND 6: Pirates win initiative (20 + 8 vs 6)
    Yeti - Yeti’s OM 2, 3 Gald OM 1, X

Mana leaps into the fray with a 4/5 skull attack on Gald’rabock finishing him off, and then Frenzies.  He swipes at one of the two remaining Yeti’s but is stopped by a 3/3 shield roll.  However the nearby pirates rolls 3/3 skulls to slice the Dzu into pieces.  OM1 for the Yeti’s is lost, so “Suds” is up for a point-blank shot at the remaining Yeti but he whiffs.  The Yeti responds with 3 skulls and “Suds” blanks on defense, and is now at 1 Life.  I guess the Reckless captain wanted to make it close – but not too close – so he counters with a 4/5 skull shot to terminate any chances for a Yeti comeback – to end the game.

Winners:  The Pirates! with 2 squaddies, “Suds” with 1 Life, Manauvi with 2 Life, Isamu, and full life Martial LaHire for about 190 points remaining.

==

Gald'rabock was fairly standard for a 100-point hero and he played well.  The Frostwolves were fun but probably worth at least 35 points (maybe 40), and it certainly helped to have them as early game Order Marker Management.  The DzuTeh performed well but it was home field advantage on the ice.  Their glacial camouflage kept "Suds" from dropping big ranged attacks in the early game.

The Pirates were a standard 3 squad bonding group but they did get to pull a Plunder on the Glyph of Lodin.  That was pretty cool actually, but a little dangerous.  It moves the glyph from low-ground to a nice spot on higher ground.  That could be a game changer depending on the glyph but I like how that makes the pirates something to be feared.

"Suds" wasn't too broken in this game, as no glyphs or treasures increased his attack.  He was consistent and the map helped him to stay behind his screen of pirate marauders until later in the game.  Manauvi is pretty awesome with the Corsairs.  Obviously Manauvi wasn't designed with the Corsairs' bonding in mind, but he already bonds via Wolf Pack so I think that was taken into consideration by C3V.  I like the options that "Suds," Manauvi, and Martial give the pirates.  You can get an Ranged attack of 5, a melee attack of 5, or likely two melee attacks of 4 .. so the multiple Reckless hero option is great.  I could see Razorbeak included as a Reckless hero/pirate.  After taking some pics of the Raptorian acrobat this morning - he is totally decked out in pirate gear .. so that makes sense.

Anyway, fun designs Derek!
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:28 pm

Thanks for the playtest. What do you think the Corsairs should be pointed at? I agree that the new version of Plunder is dangerous. Without Plunder they are overcosted at 65 pts I think, but they could be broken if they Plunder the right glyphs to the right locations maybe, so I definitely want to run some more tests to see if 65 is accurate.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:59 am

I could see them at 55-points actually but I haven't done much testing. The Romans/Sacred Band are a 4 person squad with similar stats and bonding. Yes, they are slower with Move 4 and Defense 2 but they have powers that let them get to Defense 3 easily and they are likely played with Marcus to bump their move to 5. Marcus is not as heavy of an offensive threat that say Suds or Martial are. So you are going to average 5 attacks (4 squad figures + 1 hero) compared to 5 attacks (3 squad figures + 2 attacks from Martial/Evar).

They have very situational special powers - treasure glyphs need to be in play and moving a power glyph is great but not really 'broken.'

One clarification - they cannot move the glyph unless any opponent's figure is occupying it, right? So 2 Pirates can't make it to the glyph first and then move it?

But I can also see the similarity with the Dreadgull's who are 65-points. I think that the Berserk Charge of the D'Gulls could be more valuable in some games than the glyph manipulation.

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:47 pm

Plus, the Dreadguls can go to attack of 4 when not bonding.

Maybe, 55-60 for the Pirates, in my opinion. Still some play testing to be done?

Kai wrote:One clarification - they cannot move the glyph unless any opponent's figure is occupying it, right? So 2 Pirates can't make it to the glyph first and then move it?

Right, as it is written now . . . they can only Plunder from another figure.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:42 pm

Let's try these guys at 60 pts and see how they fare. OP updated. While not super strong at 65 I thought they were decent. With the addition of a future Pirate hero or Quartermaster we can choose to tie the points in with a partial squad/hero mix or price the heroes higher than they would do outside of the Corsair build. 60 might be right anyways but I don't see 55 at this point. We'll see though Laughing Maybe 55 is right.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:39 am

A thought I had here, is what about limiting their Reckless Hero Bonding to small or medium. This would currently exclude Manauvi(kind of sadly, maybe small, med, or large). My thought is that some Large or Huge figure could come along that is ultra powerful and break the bonding and theme, while usually small and medium characters are more within reason.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 9:25 am