Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

4 posters

W2: Gnoll - Dark Ranger - released

Derek S
    Derek S

W2:  Gnoll - Dark Ranger - released - Page 2 Empty Re: W2: Gnoll - Dark Ranger - released

Post  Derek S Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:11 am

Getting ready to do the book for these guys and one thing I noticed with the current wording

FERAL WAR CRY
    After taking a turn with a squad of Gnolls or a unique Gnoll Hero, if at least two Gnolls you control are engaged, you may immediately take a turn with one Dark Ranger you control.  If that Dark Ranger attacks an opponent's figure that is engaged with another Gnoll you control add 1 attack die.

is that if there is ever a bonding hero or squad you would be able to take multiple turns with the Dark Rangers per one order marker.  Is that something we should consider in the way it is worded?

The Book of Dark Ranger

NWHC WAVE 2-

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered
    - Dark Ranger: Flanking Archer

As a Dark Ranger, Dark Rangers may benefit from the Dark Rangers FLANKING ARCHER activation synergy:
    Synergy Benefits Received
    - Dark Ranger: Flanking Archer

As a Dark Ranger, a Dark Ranger may benefit from the FLANKING ARCHER activation synergy.
    -Dark Ranger: Feral War Cry
    After taking a turn with a Gnoll Squad or Gnoll Unique Hero, if at least 2 Gnolls are engaged, a Dark Ranger may benefit from the FERAL WAR CRY activation synergy. Gnoll Squads include: Gnoll Raiders. Gnoll Unique Hero’s include: Le-Orex
    - Dark Ranger: Feral War Cry
    A Dark Ranger may benefit from a Dark Ranger’s FERAL WAR CRY attack bonus when attacking a figure engaged with a Gnoll you control. Current Gnolls include: Gnoll Raiders, Le-Orex, Dark Ranger.

Synergy Imposed
    -
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W2:  Gnoll - Dark Ranger - released - Page 2 Empty Re: W2: Gnoll - Dark Ranger - released

Post  Lord Kai Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:16 pm

is that if there is ever a bonding hero or squad you would be able to take multiple turns with the Dark Rangers per one order marker.  Is that something we should consider in the way it is worded?

I wanted to have the War Cry work even if you just took a turn with Le-Orex.  I was staying away from bonding with Le-Orex to keep the points of the squad down (and bonding can be overused sometimes).  But if a player was going to invest an OM in Le-Orex, at least the Dark Rangers could back him up.

We don't have a Bonding Gnoll hero planned at this point .. but if we made the Gnoll Archer Unique Hero - we'll just have to make sure that he doesn't have a Bonding loop.

I haven't seen any Gnolls in C3V's upcoming projects so we should be good.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:09 pm

I'm good with staying away with bonding Hyena Gnolls. If C3V does come out with a bonding Gnoll, we can always go back and change this wording, but I think we are safe as well.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:45 pm

COOL.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:37 am

After the bio is completed, I propose that we consider the Dark Ranger as Final.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:02 pm

I was thinking these guys should be lower cost than a Wyrmling because (a) they don't fly and (b) no special attack.

I did some playtests last night, and he was pretty good when bonding with the Gnoll Raiders. I was able to get to height and drop some attacks of 5 (3 + 1 for engaged target + 1 height). Granted its only one attack of five but it seemed powerful.

Do you think that the Ranger should be bumped to 30 points?

It shouldn't affect army builds. This is my favorite mix:

Gnoll Raiders x4 ... 220
    Dark Ranger x6 ... 370 @ 25 each
    Le-Orex ... 460

or

Gnoll Raiders x4 ... 220
    Dark Ranger x6 ... 400 @ 30 each
    Le-Orex ... 490

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:24 pm

I think we already settled on their points at 25.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:46 pm

I agree this guy is ready to move to final.  They are a good 25 pt character which is fine by me.  The only thing I think we could do better is the wording on

FERAL WAR CRY
    After taking a turn with a Gnoll Squad or a Unique Gnoll Hero, if at least two Gnolls you control are engaged, you may immediately take a turn with one Dark Ranger you control. If that Dark Ranger attacks an opponent's figure that is engaged with one other Gnoll you control, add 1 attack die.

I think "you control" is used more than needed.  I can live with the wording if you all want as it is clear and easy to understand.

Feral War Cry
    After taking a turn with a Gnoll Squad or an Unique Gnoll Hero, if at least two Gnolls you control are engaged, you may take a turn with this Dark Ranger.  If this Dark Ranger attacks an opponent's figure that is engaged with one other Gnoll figure, add 1 attack die.  No more than 1 Dark Ranger may be activated per turn when using Feral War Cry.

Not sure if it is any better.  The only change would be if you attacked a figure engaged with a friendly Gnoll figure you would still get the +1 attack die.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:30 pm

Excellent, 25 points it is!

For the "you control" part of the bonding ... the Mohican River Tribe uses "you control" so I recommend we stay consistent with them (since I totally stole it from them).
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:29 pm

I'm good with keeping it as written.

"A unique" is the correct usage rather than "an unique." I did have to triple check it though.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:24 pm

I'm wondering if the Gnolls should all come from the planet Toril.

In the Lost Realms, they are said to come from the east on the main continent of that planet. This would also fit with most of the other Valkrill units . . . except for the Horned Skull Brutes, which come from Eberron. I don't know. Maybe we should just keep it as Eberron.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:58 pm

Nomad wrote:I'm wondering if the Gnolls should all come from the planet Toril.

In the Lost Realms, they are said to come from the east on the main continent of that planet. This would also fit with most of the other Valkrill units . . . except for the Horned Skull Brutes, which come from Eberron. I don't know. Maybe we should just keep it as Eberron.

Yes, from Eberron, as they are a D&D original monster type.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun May 04, 2014 3:57 pm

First pass at BIO for the Gnolls:

==

Dark Rangers

Hailing from Eberron with the Gnoll Raiders, the Dark Rangers of Droaam are slightly more civilized and cunning than their cousins, though just as ferocious. The Dark Rangers act as mercenaries, trading their services as scouts, raiders, and assassins for more advanced weapons and armor, and dark delights of food and rare treasures.

As rangers, they are skilled archers and trackers, and with their keen senses and relentless disposition, they can stalker and slay any prey. They often follow packs of raiders, who rush into battle with their insidious hyena’s howls and merciless rage. The Dark Rangers follow, picking off targets that are flushed from their hiding places. And since the Raiders care little about formations or protecting their flanks, the Rangers take the role of guardians and snipers.

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun May 04, 2014 5:28 pm

Perfect . . .

" . . . they can stalker and slay any prey."
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun May 04, 2014 5:52 pm

Nomad wrote:Perfect . . .

" . . . they can stalker and slay any prey."

Updated:

Dark Rangers

Hailing from Eberron with the Gnoll Raiders, the Dark Rangers of Droaam are slightly more civilized and cunning than their cousins, though just as ferocious. The Dark Rangers act as mercenaries, trading their services as scouts, raiders, and assassins for more advanced weapons and armor, and dark delights of food and rare treasures.

As rangers, they are skilled archers and trackers, and with their keen senses and relentless disposition, they can stalk and slay any prey. They often follow packs of raiders, who rush into battle with their insidious hyena’s howls and merciless rage. The Dark Rangers follow, picking off targets that are flushed from their hiding places. And since the Raiders care little about formations or protecting their flanks, the Rangers take the role of guardians and snipers.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon May 05, 2014 7:26 am

sounds good.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed May 07, 2014 11:33 pm

Nomad wrote:How is this?

W2:  Gnoll - Dark Ranger - released - Page 2 DarkRangerNWHC

Should Feral War Cry be:

If that Dark Ranger attacks an opponent's figure that is engaged with another Gnoll you control, add 1 attack die.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu May 08, 2014 12:01 am

OP Updated with Stats and Bio.

Need confirmation on wording change to the Card.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu May 08, 2014 12:41 am

Kai wrote:Should Feral War Cry be:

If that Dark Ranger attacks an opponent's figure that is engaged with another Gnoll you control, add 1 attack die.

Doesn't matter to me. I've just been going with the powers as written. I can make the change - let me know.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed May 28, 2014 12:36 am

For Final Editing, could we please go with:

FERAL WAR CRY
    After taking a turn with a squad of Gnolls or a unique Gnoll Hero, if at least two Gnolls you control are engaged, you may immediately take a turn with one Dark Ranger you control.  If that Dark Ranger attacks an opponent's figure that is engaged with at least one other Gnoll you control add 1 attack die.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed May 28, 2014 7:17 pm

How does this look?

W2:  Gnoll - Dark Ranger - released - Page 2 DarkRanger2NWHC
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed May 28, 2014 8:21 pm

Awesome, thank you! I added this card to the OP.

Does this mean we are ready for a release of the Gnolls : P
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri May 30, 2014 12:15 am

Looks good to me.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri May 30, 2014 7:13 pm

I should have some time tomorrow to get the Gnoll faction up on HS.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat May 31, 2014 10:14 am

Kai, I didn't see figure information for the Dark Ranger.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 1:00 pm