Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W5 - Corpse Tormentors, FINAL

Nomad
    Nomad

W5 - Corpse Tormentors, FINAL Empty W5 - Corpse Tormentors, FINAL

Post  Nomad Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:31 am

Corpse Tormentors
    NWHC Wave 5 – Harbingers of Triumph - Spirits and Mummies

W5 - Corpse Tormentors, FINAL Y4mcBNHWOiEmjLgtiYpz3YbUE-vc2ioIpBFiMt3EggIEHnX_AH5HOunun9DyVXsOrv9f7J70k1DsT5vA4eOe0feXx7Qr-ms3CQO_FIWhvR75A4rJvgfKTJ0yUOQ0VRsFUQELLKzshWUhoy5RFj0937WEM6AzJYKCkwP8e9FT2v07tuZBJWRfJeZzXDTU8Sc4dD-0tCod66usrn-HudgYL3xdg?width=1024&height=961&cropmode=none
    W5 - Corpse Tormentors, FINAL Y4mJ1pXtn80ZwPftwwa8C_KQXzY02y9CAPZR-MiFKzCyWCOpM67CpqOs8IoHTWtVsvNY1-KDM7b6oDsdQRyK2djrEv2SFmozhgD_hHgikq1vW783GPvQt3S9Sr9CFk2Id0gEoFDNUC2Wz85nsOSyyeBc7ZGxUAhLBQz9tpgttvIga7d4nCt6twcvQoQ5NegmgzrN_3P-jleTM640Y3n2mBkAg?width=1024&height=966&cropmode=none

PDF DOWNLOAD, front
    PDF DOWNLOAD, back

Figure: The Adventurers, The Pyramid of Horus - Fantasy Flight Games

General: Vydar
    Planet: Feylund

Species: Undead
    Unique Squad
    Class: Devourer
    Personality: Tormenting
    Medium 5

Life: 1
    Move: 4
    Range: 1
    Attack: 2
    Defense: 6
    90 Points

SCREECH OF THE UNDEAD
    All figures within 3 spaces of a Corpse Tormentor subtract 1 die from their normal attack and 1 die from their defense. Undead figures are not affected by Screech of the Undead.

CONTAGIOUS DESICCATION
    At the end of each round, you must roll the 20-sided die for each figure adjacent to a Corpse Tormentor. If you roll a 15 or higher, that figure receives 1 wound. Undead figures and Soulborgs are not affected by Contagious Desiccation.

Character Bio:
    More of Queen Sudema's minions join the battle of Valhalla. The Corpse Tormentors are tightly-wound, moisture-free mummies ... and their ailment is contagious! Beware their piercing screech as they slowly saunter in search of victims. A screech so painful to the ear it is enough to diminish the energies of the most stalwart.

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- N/A

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered

- N/A

Synergy Benefits Received

-ZOMBIE HULK: Paralyzing Fear
    As Undead figures, Corpse Tormentors may be aided by Zombie Hulks's PARALYZING FEAR special ability.

-DUMUTEF GUARD: Devourer Attack Enhancement
    As Devourers, Corpse Tormentors may benefit from Dumutef Guard’s DEVOURER ATTACK ENHANCMENT.

-CRYPT GUARDIAN : Curse of the Mummy
    As an Undead figures, Corpse Tormentors may benefit from the Crypt Guardian's CURSE OF THE MUMMY d20 enhancement.

-MURAZATH: Crown of Bleakewoode
    As Devourers, Corpse Tormentors may benefit by Muzarath's CROWN OF BLEAKEWOODE attack die re-roll and d20 enhancement.

-MURAZATH: Undead Movement Bonding
    As Undead squad figures, Corpse Tormentors may benefit by Muzarath's UNDEAD MOVEMENT BONDING special ability.

Synergy Imposed

-ANA KARITHON: Turn Undead Special Attack
    As Undead figures, Corpse Tormentors are subject to Ana Karithon’s TURN UNDEAD SPECIAL ATTACK.

-VAN NESSING: Divine Mission
    As Undead figures, Corpse Tormentors are subject to Van Nessing’s +2 attack die when Van Nessing takes another turn using DIVINE MISSION.

-SHADOW SLAYERS OF KRESNIK: Study of the Dark Arts
    As Undead figures, Corpse Tormentors are never receives height, terrain, or special power dice bonuses when attacking or defending against a Shadow Slayer of Kresnik.

-SHADOW SLAYERS OF KRESNIK: Mastery of the Dark Arts
    A Shadow Slayer of Kresnik may never have his attack or defense reduced by a Corpse Tormentor, and can reduce a d20 roll by the Corpse Tormentor.

Last edited by Nomad on Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:46 pm; edited 12 times in total
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W5 - Corpse Tormentors, FINAL Empty Re: W5 - Corpse Tormentors, FINAL

Post  Lord Kai Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:26 pm

Mummies!! Look awesome! Can't wait for some cool new powers.

Will they be a Unique Squad?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:31 pm

Here we go for starters. I've put a lot of thought into these guys and I am pretty excited to play them. Points and defense are up in the air.

CORPSE TORMENTORS

Unique Squad
    Class: Mummy
    Medium 5

100 Points

SCREECH OF AGONY
    All friendly Undead figures adjacent to a Corpse Tormentor add 1 die to their attack when attacking a figure within 3 spaces and 1 die to their defense when defending against a figure within 3 spaces.

CONTAGIOUS DESICCATION
    At the end of each round, you must roll the 20-sided die for each figure adjacent to a Corpse Tormentor. If you roll a 17 or higher, that figure receives 1 wound. Undead figures and Soulborgs are not affected by Contagious Desiccation.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:34 pm

Nomad wrote:Here we go for starters. I've put a lot of thought into these guys and I am pretty excited to play them. Points and defense are up in the air.

CORPSE TORMENTORS

SCREECH OF AGONY
    All friendly Undead figures adjacent to a Corpse Tormentor add 1 die to their attack when attacking a figure within 3 spaces and 1 die to their defense when defending against a figure within 3 spaces.

CONTAGIOUS DESICCATION
    At the end of each round, you must roll the 20-sided die for each figure adjacent to a Corpse Tormentor. If you roll a 17 or higher, that figure receives 1 wound. Undead figures and Soulborgs are not affected by Contagious Desiccation.

Screech of Agony is cool but the wording is a little confusing. It might be easier to make them +1 attack and +1 defense for being adjacent to the Tormentors. That +1 attack can be broken with ranged figures (like Marcus and the 10th Reg) but I think it is okay with Undead. I am trying to think of ranged Undead .. guess there are the new Tomb Skeleton Archers (who are terrible!) and our W4 Damien Evershade (archer hero).

Desiccation (great name btw!) is cool. I could see it like the Marrden Hound plague each turn. If it is only at the end of each round, it isn't very powerful so the d20 roll should be much lower like a 9+ (in my opinion).
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:47 am

Kai wrote:Screech of Agony is cool but the wording is a little confusing. It might be easier to make them +1 attack and +1 defense for being adjacent to the Tormentors. That +1 attack can be broken with ranged figures (like Marcus and the 10th Reg) but I think it is okay with Undead. I am trying to think of ranged Undead .. guess there are the new Tomb Skeleton Archers (who are terrible!) and our W4 Damien Evershade (archer hero).

I'm not quite sure I understand the confusing part. It is +1 attack and +1 defense for the Undead attacker/defender being adjacent to Tormentors. Marcus and 10th Reg can't get the bonus - they are not undead. Skeleton Archers and Evershade, both undead, only get the bonus if attacking a figure within 3 spaces (which I thought would be good to minimize the impact of ranged figures, now and for future figs). I am happy to revisit this with more clarification of the concern and reword as needed. The figures all have mouths agape - the screeching noise that limit ones ability to attack and defend seem fitting due to the piercing noise emitted from these mummies.

kai wrote:Desiccation (great name btw!) is cool. I could see it like the Marrden Hound plague each turn. If it is only at the end of each round, it isn't very powerful so the d20 roll should be much lower like a 9+ (in my opinion).

Yes - I'm thinking only at the end of the round at this point. It takes some time for the desiccation to take hold and suck the fluids out. The Crypt Guardians will add a +2 to the roll, so I didn't want to make the roll too low. I was basing the 20-sider on Kee-Mo-Shi's Toxic Skin power . . . I could see lowering to 15 or higher for now until play-tests prove otherwise.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:41 pm

Nomad wrote:
    Kai wrote:Screech of Agony is cool but the wording is a little confusing. It might be easier to make them +1 attack and +1 defense for being adjacent to the Tormentors. That +1 attack can be broken with ranged figures (like Marcus and the 10th Reg) but I think it is okay with Undead. I am trying to think of ranged Undead .. guess there are the new Tomb Skeleton Archers (who are terrible!) and our W4 Damien Evershade (archer hero).

I'm not quite sure I understand the confusing part. It is +1 attack and +1 defense for the Undead attacker/defender being adjacent to Tormentors. Marcus and 10th Reg can't get the bonus - they are not undead. Skeleton Archers and Evershade, both undead, only get the bonus if attacking a figure within 3 spaces (which I thought would be good to minimize the impact of ranged figures, now and for future figs). I am happy to revisit this with more clarification of the concern and reword as needed. The figures all have mouths agape - the screeching noise that limit ones ability to attack and defend seem fitting due to the piercing noise emitted from these mummies.

Sorry my words didn't communicate all of the thoughts in my head : P  

Let me try that again:

Screech of Agony is cool but the wording is a little confusing - with the limitation of attacking or defending within 3 spaces.  It might be easier to make them +1 attack and +1 defense for being adjacent to the Tormentors - like Grimnak's Orc Warrior enhancement.  A +1 attack can be broken with ranged figures (for example, how Marcus gives the 10th reg +1), but I think a +1 attack - even at range - for Undead is okay.  

In other words - I'm okay with a flat +1 attack and + 1 defense for any Undead without the 3 space restriction.

And these guys don't bond with Crypt Guardians, right? so setting up a Unique Squad to really maximum effect will be a challenge.

For Desiccation - Kee-Mo-Shi's Toxic Skin is "after attack" each turn, so just like Marrden Hounds. I'd be okay with that at 16+ as a starting point (and then Crypt Guardians could potentially bump it).

Do you see these Mummies as working with Sudema then?

Army Idea:
    Sudema ... 140
    Crypt Guards x4 ... 380
    Mummy Squad ... 480
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:43 pm

OK, I think I understand the concern a little better. Thanks for your input.

The reason I'm thinking not to give it +1 attack and defense without the space restriction is purely thematic. The mummies are doing their undead screech thing to the point that it debilitates their opponent and their ability to attack a defend . . . hmm, how about this? It might even get to the theme I was trying for better. It could hurt your own figures just as much.

SCREECH OF AGONY
    All figures within 3 spaces of a Corpse Tormentor subtract 1 die from their attack and 1 die to their defense. Undead figures and Soulborgs are not affected by Screech of Agony.

And with the Desiccation power, it can affect your own figures as well, unless undead or soulborg. We could make it after every turn they take, but I kind of like just at the end of a round for now. Lowering the roll to 15 or 16 for now sounds good.

CONTAGIOUS DESICCATION
    At the end of each round, you must roll the 20-sided die for each figure adjacent to a Corpse Tormentor. If you roll a 15 or higher, that figure receives 1 wound. Undead figures and Soulborgs are not affected by Contagious Desiccation.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:13 pm

Nomad wrote:OK, I think I understand the concern a little better. Thanks for your input.

SCREECH OF AGONY
    All figures within 3 spaces of a Corpse Tormentor subtract 1 die from their attack and 1 die to their defense. Undead figures and Soulborgs are not affected by Screech of Agony.

Okay, I like that even better now!!!
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:15 am

Pretty awesome here, and I do like these figures. Are you considering touching up the 1 to make it a bit more like the other 2, or leaving as is (we talked about this once a long time ago)? Thematically I never thought of Mummies and screeches, but it is kind of cool. "Howl of the Undead" "Haunting Howl"? When I first glanced at the name CONTAGIOUS DESICCATION I read Deficcation and thought oh brother! Laughing
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:34 pm

Derek S wrote:Pretty awesome here, and I do like these figures.  Are you considering touching up the 1 to make it a bit more like the other 2, or leaving as is (we talked about this once a long time ago)?  Thematically I never thought of Mummies and screeches, but it is kind of cool.  "Howl of the Undead"  "Haunting Howl"?  When I first glanced at the name CONTAGIOUS DESICCATION I read Deficcation and thought oh brother! Laughing

LOL!

Howl of the Undead sounds cool!
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:54 pm

I laughed as well.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:08 am

The screeching of the mummies actually came from a 1960's B movie. I am good with changing it to "Screech of the Undead"

I would prefer to leave that 3rd mummy as is.

How about this:

CORPSE TORMENTORS

Unique Squad
    Class: Mummy
    Medium 5

100 Points

SCREECH OF THE UNDEAD
    All figures within 3 spaces of a Corpse Tormentor subtract 1 die from their attack and 1 die to their defense. Undead figures and Soulborgs are not affected by Screech of the Undead.

CONTAGIOUS DESICCATION
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:21 pm

Even with 6 defense and reduction of attack/defense die these mummies might be a bit overpriced. They can hurt your own figures as well as opponents, and they are only a 3 person squad. I agree with leaving the 3rd figure alone. Neat so far.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 pm

Play Test Report

Murazath, Shades x3, Corpse Tormentors, Marcu Esenwein = 520 points
    v.
    Marcus DG, Legionnaires x3, 10th Reg x2, Mogrimm = 520 points
    @ Thaeberian Wellsprings

Einar won it with 2 Romans, 3 Redcoats, and a full life MDG remaining. Marcu took out three Romans in the last couple of rounds to make it look closer, until he betrayed and then got hammered. MDG jumped on the Glyph of Kelda when he had three wounds to prevent Murazath from Stealth Flying onto it later in the battle. Fun battle in all.

The Corpse Tormentors were a blast to play with! They put 3 wounds on MDG and killed 2 Romans and a Redcoat with the Desiccation power at the end of rounds to earn about 90 points. They only attacked a couple of times and didn't place any wounds. Their real power was in subtracting an attack and defense die when within three spaces of figures. It didn't affect their own army because they were all undead, but it really impinged the effectiveness of the Einar army. They are slow, but Murazath's movement bonding brought them into the battle by the third round. If you have to spend markers on them to move them forward, they might not be as good. Combined with Murazath, they were great. Their defense of 6, plus reducing many attacks by 1, gave them tremendous staying power.

The Tormentors are really fun and will see action often, particularly in undead army builds. After the play test, I cannot see changing anything - maybe a drop to 90 if Murazath and his movement bonding is not in the army.

OP has been updated with current stats, powers, and new cards.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:35 pm

I could see bumping their Move to 5. 4 is really slow.

And yeah _ I imagined their reduce attack/defense would be awesome. They'd be interesting with the Crypt Guardians.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:46 am

Three play tests.

Shades Of Bleakwoode x2, Murazath, Corpse Tormentors, Rechets Of Bogdan, Iskra Esenwein = 500 points

Battle #1 v. Red Ants of Aunstrum x3, Marcus Decimus Gallus, Pulsar Soldiers x2, Master of the Hunt = 500 points
    @ Thaeberian Wellsprings

Summary:
    The battle took 10 rounds to complete. The Shades were 0-15 on Soul Devour d20 rolls. Murazath was instrumental in swooping in and picking off a couple of Pulsars when they're defense was low. He brought the Tormentors into the fray early with the movement bonding, rendering the ants pretty useless by reducing they're attack and defense to just 1. Murazath fell in the 9th round to the Master of the Hunt. Granted, the Undead army rolled defense pretty well, but this was pretty much a route. After Murazath fell, Iskra and the Rechets cleaned up. A Rechet even ended the battle by taking out MDG with a perfect 3/3 roll. The Undead army had 183 points remaining.

W5 - Corpse Tormentors, FINAL Y4mUeMH7raDewpxYv6MuRyivX2_tGdXHMFnIbF1rbhnq8zTjS2urICxaE4hG8w6BmHqUV-_oprn9anjrEEMV8aL2Qj8cZwPSEqXEmYejCAH_BAiDKbMK9o3D57PwBbyqbegdy9rsZB2o7nJ7WGTlMU0q7kc4os06EguQkYef90jW09bAipc0l9fclbCENj9hyscmq6kb5SXjc-T5OSZx8NstQ?width=1024&height=576&cropmode=none

Thoughts: The Corpse Tormentors powers rendered the Ants to be nothing more than toys. They also diminished the effectiveness of the Pulsars by reducing their attack and defense. They rolled really well when attacked and were able to take out a few ants with Contagious Desiccation. They were worth every point. I'm thinking of dropping their defense or increasing their points. The powers are pretty fun and thematic so I don't want to change those.

Battle #2 v. Thorgrim, MacDirk Warriors x2, Alastair MacDirk, Tarn Viking Warriors, Eldgrim, Finn = 510 points
    @ Savage Corridor

Summary: What a different battle this was. The MacDirks played flawlessly. Alastair got his wound total up quickly enough to give the MacDirks some pop in their attacks. The MacDirks were rolling mostly skulls. The battle was over on turn three in the 3rd round. The Shades were only able to attempt one Soul Devour. Murazath fell to a couple of big Alastair attacks and a clean-up roll by a MacDirk on the first turn in the second round (the Undead army lost an OM). Iskra fell before should could summon the Retchets. The MacDirks had an incredible 352 points left on the battlefield.

Thoughts: Alastair and big attacking MacDirks didn't seem too concerned with the reduction of defense and attack forced upon them by the Tormentors. Contagious Desiccation worked on 1 out of 2 attempts. Stark contrast to the first battle.

Battle #3 v. Sujoah, Fyorlag Spiders x3, Wyvern, Estivara, Jean de Ascalon = 505 points
    @ Falcon

Summary: Sujoah went for the glyph on turn one, and then fell to Murazath and friends. Things started on a positive note for the Undead army. Enter Estivara, the Wyvern, and some pretty tough Spiders. Estivara's +1 attack bonus for the spiders enabled them to do damage. The Wyvern was invincible. Iskra was dead before the Rechets could be summoned. The Shades were 0-6 on Soul Devour rolls. It didn't feel like a complete route, but the Aquilla army had 273 points left, including 7 of the 9 spiders.

Thoughts: Only one Tormentor was brought into the fray early enough to have any impact, but a 0/6 defense roll knocked out the mummy out too early. The other two were taken care of by the Wyvern and an Estivara special attack. After three play tests with the Corpse Tormentors, I like were they are at. Maybe drop their points to 90? I like that they have a move of 4 - mummies are kind of slow, right?

A couple of small changes:

SCREECH OF THE UNDEAD
    All figures within 3 spaces of a Corpse Tormentor subtract 1 die from their normal attack and 1 die from their defense. Undead figures and Soulborgs are not affected by Screech of the Undead.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:33 am

Do you think that Screech should affect Soulborgs?

I can see the Contagion not affecting Soulborgs but is the Screech a supernatural effect that targets the mind?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:02 am

Kai wrote:Do you think that Screech should affect Soulborgs?

I can see the Contagion not affecting Soulborgs but is the Screech a supernatural effect that targets the mind?

When designing the mummies, I didn't really consider affecting Soulborgs. I just went with the limitation on Cyprien's chilling touch. I think it would be good to take out that limitation.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:00 pm

Here are a few updates from previous playtests and posts. Lowered points to 90 and changed the Screech so that it would affect Soulborgs. More play tests needed, but I think they are close

Unique Squad
    Class: Mummies
    Personality: Tormentor
    Medium 5

90 Points

SCREECH OF THE UNDEAD
    All figures within 3 spaces of a Corpse Tormentor subtract 1 die from their normal attack and 1 die from their defense. Undead figures are not affected by Screech of the Undead.

CONTAGIOUS DESICCATION
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:01 am

Looks good. I'd like to see these guys in action but they seem solid to me.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:17 pm

Kai and I got in a couple of play tests with the Corpse Tormentors. In the first battle, they were all picked off from range by Mariedians. In the second battle, the proved useful in reducing defense/attack on a few rolls and even pulled off a couple of some desiccation against B-11's. It seems like powers and stats are good and this unit is ready to go, except the class of Mummy doesn't really work because it is more of a species. Let's brainstorm some options - Kai suggested Guards, Lords . . .
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:48 pm

Nomad wrote:Kai and I got in a couple of play tests with the Corpse Tormentors. In the first battle, they were all picked off from range by Mariedians. In the second battle, the proved useful in reducing defense/attack on a few rolls and even pulled off a couple of some desiccation against B-11's. It seems like powers and stats are good and this unit is ready to go, except the class of Mummy doesn't really work because it is more of a species. Let's brainstorm some options - Kai suggested Guards, Lords . . .

I'd say go with Devourer. That is in line with other Undead like Marcu, the Rechets and Shades and goes with Murazath.

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:38 pm

I vote this squad as final. I have played with them at least a dozen times.

Unique Squad
    Class: Devourer
    Medium 5

90 Points

SCREECH OF THE UNDEAD

CONTAGIOUS DESICCATION
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:21 pm

Card and book are completed in the OP.

Let me know if you notice anything in error or missing.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:59 pm

Looks good!

I think CONTAGIOUS DESICCATION could be lowered to a 13+ instead of 15. It is only once per round, so rarely used. I guess you don't need an OM for it .. so it has some flexibility but I think a little boost for them since they are Unique would be cool.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 9:13 pm