Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

4 posters

W2 "Suds" Merrick- released

Derek S
    Derek S

W2 "Suds"  Merrick- released - Page 2 Empty Re: W2 "Suds" Merrick- released

Post  Derek S Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:45 pm

Marrakesh "Suds" Merrick, where "Suds" Merrick is what is on the card is what I am leaning towards.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:43 pm

Derek and I got a play test in with the Pirates and "Suds". We pointed him at 100 to start with. Derek's army consisted of Piratesx4, Pirate hero "Suds", Evar Scarcarver, and Martial LaHire for 520 points. I went with Elaria, Drowx3, Pelloth, and Moltenclaw for 540 points. The Pirate army won with about 170 points left or so.

"Suds" was pretty cool. His increase of 1 attack and decrease of 1 defense for each OM revealed on a pirate card was very interesting and changed the strategy for this figure through out a round. Suds took care of Moltenclaw and a couple of Drow before falling. I would play against Suds differently now that I know what he can do.

Conclusion: I really like his powers as written and wouldn't change a thing and 100 points seems about right for now. Of course, more play tests are needed.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:39 pm

We all happy with moving this guy to playtesting?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:23 pm

Play testing sounds good to me. I really like this guy.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:55 pm

Suds proved well worth his 100 pts in a playtest. Sent Evar and Martial out holding Suds back until most of the opponents were tied down or close to being tied down by the Pirates.

What General do you guys see Suds falling under?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:25 pm

The Pirates and Suds seem more like UTGAR to me.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:33 am

Did a play-test against "Suds" and the Pirates today with Huskies16 and Nomad.

"Suds" rolled up and got a +1 Attack Glyph and Height and was dropping HUGE attacks at Range. His base of 3 attack - became 4 attack with the 1st OM + Height + Treasure = 6 attack, then 7, and then 8. With the Pirates as a screen he was crushing it.

He killed the Gnoll Hero in one shot (7 attack against 4 defense/4 life), and basically annihilated the Squad figures with each attack. He finally went down after the Gnolls won initiative and got 3 figures around him for attacks. By OM2 he was down.

I think he should start at 2 attack - which will become 3 attack on the 1st OM. Still powerful, but it balances out. I'd put him around 120 points, though maybe the Squad needs to drop by 5 points.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:32 pm

After the play testing, I concur with Kai regarding a drop to 2 on his attack. I'm not so sure that his points should be bumped to 120. More play testing is needed to flesh out the points.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:10 am

OP updated with Utgar and attack dropping to 2. Left points at 100 for now.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:42 pm

Could change this guys class to Captain. Then have the Barbary Corsairs bond with Captains and have the future pirates bond with relentless heros. What do you all think.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:02 pm

I like the Reckless Hero Bonding. I'm not sure why we would change it, but I am not totally opposed. See my comments for Corsairs.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:59 pm

Would you guys like Suds to have the pay, die, or join power, or save it for a future hero. I don't want both powers and think Suds current power is fitting for the sculpt.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:54 pm

My opinion is to keep Suds the way he is and use the pay, die, or join power for a different pirate captain.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:28 am

See the Corsairs for a report. Was thinking to limit his + attack to 2 and/or bumping his points to 110.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:27 am

From input and playtests bumped his points to 110. Still needs some playtests to accurately point.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:14 am

OP changed to final editing.  Here is where he is currently at.

General- Utgar
    Planet- Earth
    Name- "Suds" Merrick
    unique Hero
    class- Pirate
    species- Human
    personality- Reckless
    size- medium
    height- 5
    life- 5
    move- 5
    range- 5
    attack- 2
    defense- 4
    points- 110

RECKLESS ABANDON

For every revealed Order Marker on a Pirate card you control, add 1 to "Suds" Merrick's attack and subtract 1 from his defense.

Utgar seems to work a little better for me here than with the Corsairs, although I could see him being Valkrill or Vyadar as well.  110 pts. or 100 pts is the only other real question.  I am good either way or even splitting the difference.  He sure doesn't seem to be in Sir Denrick, Alastair MacDirk, Van Nessing, Brunak, or some of the other 110 pointers class, so I would probably prefer the 100 pt cost.

The Book of “Suds” Merrick

NWHC WAVE 2-

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered
    -

Synergy Benefits Received
    -Reckless Abandon: “Suds” Merrick

For every revealed order marker on a Pirate army card you control add 1 to “Suds” attack.  Pirate army cards include “Suds” Merrick, Barbary Corsairs.
    - Ornak: Red Flag of Fury Aura
    As a Unique Hero that follows Utgar, “Suds” Merrick may benefit from Ornak’s RED FLAG OF FURY activation synergy.
    -Reckless Hero Bonding: Barbary Corsairs
    Being a Small or Medium Hero with the Reckless personality, “Suds” Merrick may benefit from the Barbary Corsairs RECKLESS HERO BONDING activation bonus.

Synergy Imposed
    - Reckless Abandon: “Suds” Merrick

For every revealed order marker on a Pirate army card you control subtract 1 from “Suds” defense.  Pirate army cards include “Suds” Merrick, Barbary Corsairs.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:50 pm

Maybe we should just split it at 105 and call it good. I see him as strong as Dendrick, but not the others. I am also happy with keeping him at 100.

I think all of the pirates should be either Utgar or Valkrill, but I'd vote for Utgar. There seems to be more of an organized badness to them rather than chaotic evilness.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:36 am

"Suds" really kicked my butt in a few play-tests against Huskies16 so that made me think he was uber-powerful. But that was when he was at Attack 3 to start. "Suds" did have the benefit of an Attack glyph, so that probably skewed the play-test but I think he's more balanced now.

He's hard to compare to other figures, because "ranged Hero" bonders with a melee screen makes me mostly think of Greenscales.

At Attack 2 .. leading to Ranged attacks of 3, then 4, then 5 ... I can see "Suds" at 100 points (especially with his defense flaw).
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:49 am

Sounds like 100 pts and Utgar to me, or 105 and Utgar. With no glyphs he is 2 attack 4 defense, 3 attack 3 defense, 4 attack 2 defense, 5 attack 1 defense with a range of 5, life of 5, and only 1 attack. He should probably be 100 pts and still won't be too playable outside the Pirate faction.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:36 pm

100 points once, 100 points twice, 100 points . . . gone!

Hit him on the 3rd OM and he'll fall overboard like a drunken pirate.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:48 pm

OP should be good and the bio is coming.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:29 pm

Bio- Merrick was well respected for his unquenchable desire for plunder and his fearlessness to achieve the goals of the ship and crew.  Soon Merrick was captain of one of the most profitable ships.  But it was not enough for Merrick and soon he would awake to an Ale in his hand.  The crew dubbed him "Suds" Merrick but still loved the Plunder that their fearless captain won, but over time rumors whirled about the crew that "Suds" did not really care if he survived their mission.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:13 pm

Derek wrote:Bio- Merrick was well respected for his unquenchable desire for plunder and his fearlessness to achieve the goals of the ship and crew. Soon Merrick was captain of one of the most profitable ships. But it was not enough for Merrick and soon he would awake to an Ale in his hand. The crew dubbed him "Suds" Merrick but still loved the Plunder that their fearless captain won, but over time rumors whirled about the crew that "Suds" did not really care if he survived their mission.

Awesome and fitting bio. My suggestions . . .

To his pirate mates, Merrick became respected for his unquenchable desire for plunder and his fearlessness to achieve the goals of the ship and crew. Merrick quickly rose to become captain of one of the most profitable pirate ships scourging the waters of the Mediterranean. Merrick was always driven with the need for more and increasingly found himself with pint in hand to soothe his passions. The crew dubbed him "Suds," but still loved the loot that their fearless captain won. Over time, rumors whirled about the crew that "Suds" may not really care if he survived their exploits on the high seas.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:33 pm

Thanks for the suggestions on the bio, OP updated. I may still do a little work on the bio but may not either.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:14 pm

Sounds good. I will try to get to his card in the next day or two.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:25 am