Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

Bulette - brainstorming

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Bulette - brainstorming Empty Bulette - brainstorming

Post  Lord Kai Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:25 am

Picked up this mini on a whim from eBay.  Seems pretty cool - is basically a nice burrowing/tunneling monster that takes up a full, large - round base so the whole hex.  Idea is that the Bulette can travel underground and *stay* underground (represented by a Pit Trap glyph on the board - though we'll customize a glyph to represent this).

==

BULETTE

Figure: D&D Icons of the Realm Monster Menagerie 32/45 Bulette

General: Aquilla
    Planet: Eberron

Species: Bulette
    Unique Hero
    Class: Hunter
    Personality: Tricky
    Large 6

Life: 5
    Move: 4
    Range: 1
    Attack: 6
    Defense: 3

110 Points

ERUPTION SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range 1.  Attack 4
    Any non-flying figure(s) adjacent to Bulette is affected by Eruption Special Attack.  Roll attack dice once for all affected figures.  Each figure rolls defense separately.  

TUNNEL
    Begin the game with one black Pit Trap glyph on this card to represent Bulette tunneling underground.  When the black Pit Trap glyph is on the board, consider it a level 1 figure with the entire glyph a hit zone.  While Bulette is tunneling, reduce its Attack value by 3 and increase its Defense value by 3.  Bulette cannot use its special attack while underground.  Opponent's figures on the black Pit Trap are considered engaged and cannot move unless a friendly figure is adjacent to them prior to moving.  [/color]

UNDERGROUND TRAVEL
    If Bulette ends its normal movement unengaged on a non-water space, you may immediately place it on any non-water space within 5 spaces that is no more than 1 level above Bulette's height or 3 levels below Bulette's base.  If there is a figure on that space, place the black Pit Trap glyph on that space and move Bulette to its Army Card.  [color=#993300]Before taking a turn with Bulette, if there is a black Pit Trap glyph on the board, you may move using Underground Travel, as if Bulette started on that space, without taking any leaving engagements.

Pic available:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/D-D-Icons-of-the-Realm-Monster-Menagerie-32-45-Bulette/291739583869?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Background:
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Bulette

Last edited by Lord Kai on Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Nomad
    Nomad

Bulette - brainstorming Empty Re: Bulette - brainstorming

Post  Nomad Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:13 pm

I can't believe that it has been 3 months since we have had action here. This fall has been busy for all of us.

LANDSHARK!

Love the idea and the powers. Very creative!

I would love a conversation to get my head around the intent of some the powers/mechanics. I think I get it . . . but have many clarifying questions.

I'm not sure I see a Landshark as Aquilla.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:08 pm

Nomad wrote:I can't believe that it has been 3 months since we have had action here. This fall has been busy for all of us.

LANDSHARK!

Love the idea and the powers. Very creative!

I would love a conversation to get my head around the intent of some the powers/mechanics. I think I get it . . . but have many clarifying questions.

I'm not sure I see a Landshark as Aquilla.

Does this help? Using an Earth Elemental as a proxy since I can't find my Landshark : P

https://1drv.ms/p/s!AvcyCK-agTwrh-lfm-lC5Ls2BMKV7Q
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:51 am

That helps, very much. If the Bulette is underground (as noted by the glyph) can he only attack the figure on the glyph, or can he attack another figure adjacent to the glyph? I'm thinking it would have to be the figure on the glyph.

Can Bulette only use Eruption Special Attack after emerging from his tunnel?

Can we just leave the pit trap glyph a regular glyph? I am not sure we would need to paint it black, or specify that it is black. I think we should state that the glyph is placed power side up.

Did you order two Landsharks? You gave me one back in August. If you only ordered one, then I have yours.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:14 pm

Thanks for the questions. Certainly trying something different here and it needs some brainstorming and Q&A.

If the Bulette is underground (as noted by the glyph) can he only attack the figure on the glyph, or can he attack another figure adjacent to the glyph? I'm thinking it would have to be the figure on the glyph.

If he is underground (represented by the glyph), he is a Level 1 figure so he could attack adjacent but since he is Level 1 they'd have to be on the same level.

Can Bulette only use Eruption Special Attack after emerging from his tunnel?
    No, as written he can SA at any time. Could be re-written though - that maybe he can only use it after Underground Travel and/or Tunnel.

Can we just leave the pit trap glyph a regular glyph? I am not sure we would need to paint it black, or specify that it is black. I think we should state that the glyph is placed power side up.

For now the black Pit Trap is just a placeholder. The glyphs in Planeswalker are black so I have ones that don't need to be painted. I had thought about putting a picture/sticker of the Bulette on the glyph (if I can figure out how to do that) : )
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:23 pm

I can come up with the picture/glyph for the figure, no problem.

Please consider some suggestions. Feels more Valkrill to me. In my research, a bulette doesn't seem to have the mind to be tricky and as a hunter there would be many synergies with other figures. I have taken liberty to reword the powers a bit as well. I move of 4 and then underground for 5 would give the Bulette a total of nine movement. Should this be instead of moving normally? This is a lot of text and may be difficult to fit on a card.

BULETTE

Figure: D&D Icons of the Realm Monster Menagerie 32/45 Bulette

General: Aquilla Valkrill
    Planet: Eberron

Species: Bulette
    Unique Hero
    Class: Hunter Devourer
    Personality: Tricky Ravenous
    Large 6

Life: 5
    Move: 4
    Range: 1
    Attack: 6
    Defense: 3

110 Points

ERUPTION SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range 1. Attack 4.
    Any non-flying figure adjacent to Bulette is affected by Eruption Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense separately.

TUNNEL
    Begin the game with one Tunnel glyph on this Army Card. When the Tunnel glyph is on the board, Bulette has a height of 1 and the glyph is the hit zone. While Bulette is tunneling, reduce its Attack value by 4 and increase its Defense value by 3. Bulette cannot use Eruption Special Attack while tunneling. An opponent's figure on the Tunnel glyph are considered engaged and cannot move unless a friendly figure is adjacent to them prior to moving. When Bulette is destroyed, remove the Tunnel glyph from the game.

BURROW BELOW
    Instead of moving normally with Bulette, you may immediately place him on any non-water space within 5 spaces that is no more than 1 level above his height or 3 levels below his base. You may keep Bulette below ground by placing the Tunnel glyph on that space and moving Bulette to this Army Card. If there is a figure on that space, place the Tunnel glyph under the figure. Before taking a turn with Bulette, if there is the Tunnel glyph on the board, you may move using Burrow Below without taking any leaving engagement attacks.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:16 am

Yeah this guys needs a little work. I'm probably trying to be TOO fancy and tricky with his power. Maybe hold for now on him since he needs more development and focus on cards we can release.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:27 pm

Got this figure recently so would love to see him progress.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:48 am

I have the card started.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:56 am

I could see Burrow Below just being Burrow.  I have some glyphs from Planeswalker as well. Like the ideas of Valkrill and Devourer.  Not sure how to word it or if idea is liked, but with Tunnel, if a figure is standing on the glyph I could see a 20-sided die roll for small and medium figures to be destroyed (devoured) and large/huge figures take a wound.  With this idea maybe instead of reducing attack value when underground, Bulette cannot attack by any other means than 20-sided roll. With the Eruption power, I can see it only working when he emerges from Tunneling.

Lord Kai likes this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:30 pm