Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

4 posters

W4 Pulsar Soldiers - Final (released)

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W4 Pulsar Soldiers - Final (released) - Page 3 Empty Re: W4 Pulsar Soldiers - Final (released)

Post  Lord Kai Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:38 pm

VYDAR:
    Major Q10
    Pulsar Soldiers x5

vs

ULLAR:
    Varinn
    Aubrien Archers x2
    Raeza
    Greenscales x2

Map: http://www.heroscapers.com/downloads/sirocco1_I4P.jpg

Ran two playtests to give the Pulsar Soldiers another run as well as try two Ullar units: Raeza (Dragon) and Varinn (Ranger).
    Raeza: concerns that she is over-priced at 150-points. Have only seen a few play-tests.
    Varinn: he was amazing when paired with Kayla Willowsong (Ranger) so trying him solo with Aubriens.

GAME 1: Vydar completely dominated this game, certainly the help of poor luck on Ullar’s side. Raeza moved up early – took a few wounds from Pulsar Soldiers – and then fell to Wrist-Rockets while rolling 0/7 on defense twice in a row (jungle tree + Rampage). Wasn’t much of a play-test for her.

The Pulsar Soldiers were great. The game mechanic for Charge Markers continues to be a fantastic idea (thanks Nomad). As a two-person Squad, I have some concerns about their Attacks per Order Marker – but with an option for a double special attack – they can make up for it.
    Varinn came out for Ullar and had some luck with Over-Extend. The Archers had only 1 frenzy the entire game and when Varinn had 3 wounds, I should have backed him off – as the Pulsars jumped him and he went down without being able to buff his Archers.

GAME 2: Ullar had more luck in this one, and I was more conservative with Raeza (planning to save her for late-game clean-up). The Aubriens had two frenzies (both natural rolls without need for Varinn) and both came late.
    The Pulsar Soldiers put pressure on early, taking an Intercept OM (but not a successful roll) and dropping a few Archers early. Raeza had an opportunity to jump out and take on two Pulsar Soldiers with an initiative switch. It works and she took out one Soldier in the water on the Defense glyph (4 attack vs 6 defense) and then the other with 3 attacks vs 5 defense. The Greenscales jumped on the Defense glyph and held it for the rest of the game (3 full rounds).

Raeza took a few wounds while protecting the Greenscales as Ullar moved up more Archers. The Pulsars tried a few blasts but didn’t take down any Archers. The Archers grabbed an Initiative +8 glyph (and also held it for the rest of the game.
    With Initiative a likely option for Ullar, Raeza flew across the board to take on Major Q-10 (who was just a few spaces out of the start zone but on height). She popped a few wounds on the big Soulborg and then took a few hits back herself. She was at 6 Attack & Defense but only 2 Life remaining for several OM’s. Her tail-whip worked well – swinging as the Major and taking out a Pulsar for a few OM’s. The Greenscales had to take time to catch up to their Dragon Queen but eventually they had 2 around the Major (who was holding on with 1 life).

The Major eventually won the war against Raeza (height helping during the conflict). But the Dragon did enough damage to the Squad and held Vydar’s attacks at bay. The Archers moved up to take shots at the Major and the Pulsars with little effect but then Varinn moved up on the OM switch and destroyed a Pulsar then over-extended to finish the Major. A late game Frenzy by the Archers closed out the game.

Overall, Raeza was hit-and-miss. I don’t think she is worth 150-points (certainly not in the same class as Cyrpien). I would drop her to 120-points to line up with Krug. Her defense does get a boost from Rampage but her double-attack can’t be used on the same figure.

Varinn was average for a supporting Hero. His Frenzy enhancement didn’t come into play before he was destroyed. His over-extended attack was a nice to give a hero two shots. I think he was better with Kayla and other Rangers but he’s a nice filler for an “All-In” Aubrien army.

Pulsar Soldiers were fantastic and fun to play (even in the loss). The game mechanic is excellent and I really like how they play.

Nomad
    Nomad

W4 Pulsar Soldiers - Final (released) - Page 3 Empty Re: W4 Pulsar Soldiers - Final (released)

Post  Nomad Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:25 pm

Thanks for the report.

I think the Pulsars are ready. I know we haven't done a ton of testing, but sometimes things just work. This squad does.

My vote is for final.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:16 am

Nomad wrote:Thanks for the report.

I think the Pulsars are ready. I know we haven't done a ton of testing, but sometimes things just work. This squad does.

My vote is for final.

Agreed!
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:20 am

Rewording:

CHARGE CAPACITORS
    Pulsar Soldiers start each round with a total of 3 Charge Markers on their Army Card.

POWER ARRAY
    Add 1 to the Defense value for each Charge Marker on the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card. After moving, you may remove 1 Charge Marker from the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card to add 1 to the Attack value or add 3 to the Range value for this turn.

PULSE LASER SPECIAL ATTACK
    Range 4. Attack 3.
    Once per turn, after attacking with Pulse Laser Special Attack, you may remove 1 Charge Marker from the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card to attack again with Pulse Laser Special Attack.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:47 am

W4 Pulsar Soldiers - Final (released) - Page 3 PulsarSoldiers.3.NWHC

W4 Pulsar Soldiers - Final (released) - Page 3 PulsarSoldiers.Basic.3.NWHC
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:17 pm

Card looks great!!!
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:50 pm

PULSAR SOLDIERS
    NWHC Wave 4 - Fields of Wildfire - Shadow and Matrix

W4 Pulsar Soldiers - Final (released) - Page 3 PulsarSoldiers.3R.NWHC

Figure: Heroclix Yu-Gi-Oh CYBER SOLDIER OF DARKWORLD #003 (for both members of the squad)

General: Einar
    Planet: Alpha Prime

Species: Soulborg
    Common Squad
    Class: Soldier
    Personality: Disciplined
    Medium 5

Life: 1
    Move: 5
    Range: 5
    Attack: 3
    Defense: 2
    70 points

CHARGE CAPACITORS
    Pulsar Soldiers start each round with a total of 3 Charge Markers on their Army Card (or cards if you have more than one Army Card for these figures).

POWER ARRAY
    Add 1 to the Defense value for each Charge Marker on the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card(s). After moving, you may remove 1 Charge Marker from the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card(s) to add 1 to the Attack value or add 3 to the Range value for this turn.

Range 4. Attack 3.
    When a Pulsar Soldier attacks with Pulse Laser Special Attack, you may remove 1 Charge Marker from the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card to have that Pulsar Soldier attack one additional time.

Bio:
    PULSAR SOLDIERS
    A strange new sight has appeared in the halls of Einar’s Golden Palace on Mirror Lake.  The splendor of the great stronghold remains brilliant and dazzling, but now, amongst the golden pillars stand pairs of indigo, purple and gold Soulborgs.  There are many whispers in courts about Einar’s choice to summon soldiers such as these.  But there are also questions of loyalty that have echoed through the halls for more recent recruits such as the Dreadgulls and Firbolg huntsmen.  With the coming of these more wild and undisciplined factions, and the rise of Valkrill, rumor has it that Einar wanted to ensure the loyalty of his new reinforcements.

The Pulsar Soldiers are deployed in teams of two, working in tandem to take down their foes.  A synchronized Pulsar Matrix powers their array of weaponry and tactical enhancements.  By tapping into the Pulsar Matrix, a soldier can create an energy shield that can repel both physical and elemental attacks.  The Matrix can also divert power to the Soulborg’s energy weapons to increase range or lethality.  As the soldiers channel energy away from shielding, they can become more vulnerable.  But opponents have found that the Pulsar’s capacitors recharge quickly so they need to time their attacks carefully.

The Book of the Pulsar Soldiers

Rulings and Clarifications

- N/A

Combinations and Synergies

Synergy Benefits Offered

- N/A

Synergy Benefits Received

- MARCUS DECIMUS GALLUS : Soldier Leadership
    As Soldiers, Pulsar Soldiers may benefit from Marcus Decimus Gallus’ SOLDIER LEADERSHIP movement bonus.

- MARCUS DECIMUS GALLUS : Soldier Attack Enhancement
    As Soldiers, Pulsar Soldiers may benefit from Marcus Decimus Gallus’ SOLDIER ATTACK ENHANCEMENT.

Synergy Imposed

- N/A

Last edited by Nomad on Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:42 am; edited 3 times in total
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:44 am

I added a Bio to your post above.

I was re-reading the card, and I know we approved these guys in record. Do you mind a few tweaks? I am wondering if people will push back on this wording ..

Personality: DISCIPLINED

CHARGE CAPACITORS
    Pulsar Soldiers start each round with a total of 3 Charge Markers on their Army Card (or cards if you have more than one card for these figures).

Do we need the Card (or Cards ... ) ?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:47 pm

Yes - the Army Card v Army Card(s) debate. We will need to go back and reword Konrad's card as well. I can go either way. Most people understand that commons can be played with one or more army cards. But, maybe we should tweak it. There is room on this card, not so much for Konrad (it is why we deleted it to get the text to fit).

Changing the personality to disciplined is fine by me.

Great bio!
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:53 pm

Nomad wrote:Yes - the Army Card v Army Card(s) debate. We will need to go back and reword Konrad's card as well. I can go either way. Most people understand that commons can be played with one or more army cards. But, maybe we should tweak it. There is room on this card, not so much for Konrad (it is why we deleted it to get the text to fit).

Changing the personality to disciplined is fine by me.

Great bio!

Okay, let's just change the Personality.

And thanks - I had fun with the Bio.

Another question: do you read this power as EACH Soldier can spend 1 charge marker with the special attack or only 1 charge marker can be used total that turn?

Range 4. Attack 3.
    Once per turn, after attacking with Pulse Laser Special Attack, you may remove 1 Charge Marker from the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card to attack again with Pulse Laser Special Attack.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:32 am

Kai wrote:Another question: do you read this power as EACH Soldier can spend 1 charge marker with the special attack or only 1 charge marker can be used total that turn?

Range 4. Attack 3.

Once per turn - if it was more than that, then the once per turn wouldn't be needed. So only one figure can use the double attack. That is the way I've always read it. If that is not the intent:

Range 4. Attack 3.
    After attacking with Pulse Laser Special Attack, you may remove 1 Charge Marker from the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card to attack again with Pulse Laser Special Attack.

This begs the question, if one figure uses the special attack on their first attack, do they both have to? If each figure can use separate attacks (one normal, one special) then this might be a better wording:

Range 4. Attack 3.
    After a Pulsar Soldier attacks with Pulse Laser Special Attack, you may remove 1 Charge Marker from the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card to have that Pulsar Soldier attack again with Pulse Laser Special Attack.

So, I could still use two different attacks (one special, one normal) on my first attacks, but only the figure that attacked with the special can attack again with the special. If they both attack with specials, then two markers could be removed to have them both attack with a special again.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:52 am

Nomad wrote:

This begs the question, if one figure uses the special attack on their first attack, do they both have to? If each figure can use separate attacks (one normal, one special) then this might be a better wording:

Range 4. Attack 3.
    After a Pulsar Soldier attacks with Pulse Laser Special Attack, you may remove 1 Charge Marker from the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card to have that Pulsar Soldier attack again with Pulse Laser Special Attack.

So, I could still use two different attacks (one special, one normal) on my first attacks, but only the figure that attacked with the special can attack again with the special. If they both attack with specials, then two markers could be removed to have them both attack with a special again.

Can we go with this one?  As a 2-figure squad, they could need a little help to stay competitive.  Dropping 2 charge markers in 1 turn (for 4 attacks) is a little risky, but maybe on OM3.

Would you be okay with that?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:32 am

How about this?

Range 4. Attack 3.
    If one or more Pulsar Soldiers attack with Pulse Laser Special Attack, you may remove 1 Charge Marker from the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card to have those Pulsar Soldiers attack again with Pulse Laser Special Attack. Pulse Laser Special Attack can only be used once per turn.

Still not quite there yet . . . but it is getting closer. We also need to add "or army cards" to this power as well.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:29 pm

How about:

Range 4. Attack 3.
    Once per turn, for each Pulsar Soldier that attacks with Pulse Laser Special Attack, you may remove 1 Charge Marker from the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card to have that Pulsar Soldier attack again with Pulse Laser Special Attack.  Each Pulsar Soldier
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:00 am

Long time no lookie, cool stuff I am missing. Sounds like you are going with being able to remove 2 markers in 1 turn. So how about

Range 4. Attack 3.
    After a Pulsar Soldier attacks with Pulse Laser Special Attack, you may remove 1 Charge Marker from the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card, that Pulsar Soldier may attack again with Pulse Laser Special Attack. A specific Pulsar Soldier may not attack more than twice with the Pulse Laser Special Attack in the same turn.

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:54 pm

Kai, help me to clarify your intent.

Do you want only one marker to be removed per turn for the special attack?
    Do you want one or both figures to be able to use the special attack twice per turn?
    If both figures can attack twice with the special, do you have to remove two markers?

I don't think any tweaks will change the points nor make necessary more play-testing.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:27 pm

Bump.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:16 am

Nomad wrote:Kai, help me to clarify your intent.

Do you want only one marker to be removed per turn for the special attack?
    Do you want one or both figures to be able to use the special attack twice per turn?
    If both figures can attack twice with the special, do you have to remove two markers?

I don't think any tweaks will change the points nor make necessary more play-testing.

Sorry about the delay.

This one: If both figures can attack twice with the special, do you have to remove two markers?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:10 pm

I think this is the best wording so far . . . at least it is the clearest to me (modeled on Kaemon's Quick Release Special).

Range 4. Attack 3.
    When a Pulsar Soldier attacks with Pulse Laser Special Attack, you may remove 1 Charge Marker from the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card to have that Pulsar Soldier attack one additional time.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:54 pm

Nomad wrote:I think this is the best wording so far . . . at least it is the clearest to me (modeled on Kaemon's Quick Release Special).

Range 4. Attack 3.

That sounds great! The once per turn won't really matter much since there are only 3 markers.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:01 pm

I think that the language dictates that each Pulsar Soldier can only do it once per turn (can attack one additional time). Same basic text as Kaemon Awa.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:02 am

PULSAR SOLDIERS
    NWHC Wave 4 - Fields of Wildfire - Shadow and Matrix

W4 Pulsar Soldiers - Final (released) - Page 3 PulsarSoldiers.3R.NWHC

Figure: Heroclix Yu-Gi-Oh CYBER SOLDIER OF DARKWORLD #003 (for both members of the squad)

General: Einar
    Planet: Alpha Prime

Species: Soulborg
    Common Squad
    Class: Soldier
    Personality: Disciplined
    Medium 5

Life: 1
    Move: 5
    Range: 5
    Attack: 3
    Defense: 2
    70 points

CHARGE CAPACITORS
    Pulsar Soldiers start each round with a total of 3 Charge Markers on their Army Card (or cards if you have more than one Army Card for these figures).

POWER ARRAY
    Add 1 to the Defense value for each Charge Marker on the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card(s). After moving, you may remove 1 Charge Marker from the Pulsar Soldiers' Army Card(s) to add 1 to the Attack value or add 3 to the Range value for this turn.

Range 4. Attack 3.

Bio:
    PULSAR SOLDIERS
    A strange new sight has appeared in the halls of Einar’s Golden Palace on Mirror Lake. The splendor of the great stronghold remains brilliant and dazzling, but now, amongst the golden pillars stand pairs of indigo, purple and gold Soulborgs. There are many whispers in courts about Einar’s choice to summon soldiers such as these. But there are also questions of loyalty that have echoed through the halls for more recent recruits such as the Dreadgulls and Firbolg huntsmen. With the coming of these more wild and undisciplined factions, and the rise of Valkrill, rumor has it that Einar wanted to ensure the loyalty of his new reinforcements.

The Pulsar Soldiers are deployed in teams of two, working in tandem to take down their foes. A synchronized Pulsar Matrix powers their array of weaponry and tactical enhancements. By tapping into the Pulsar Matrix, a soldier can create an energy shield that can repel both physical and elemental attacks. The Matrix can also divert power to the Soulborg’s energy weapons to increase range or lethality. As the soldiers channel energy away from shielding, they can become more vulnerable. But opponents have found that the Pulsar’s capacitors recharge quickly so they need to time their attacks carefully.

Rulings and Clarifications

- With the special attack, can I remove more than one charge marker to attack more than one additional time? No, not on the same turn. Only one charge marker can be removed to attack ONE ADDITIONAL TIME using the Pulse Laser Special Attack. Think of it like Kaemon Awa's Quick Release, only you have to remove a charge marker to get the second attack.

Combinations and Synergies

Synergy Benefits Offered

- SACRED BAND : Disciplined Army Defense Bonus
    Having a Disciplined personality, the Pulsar Soldiers may aid the Sacred Band with their DISCIPLINED ARMY DEFENSE BONUS.

Synergy Benefits Received

- MARCUS DECIMUS GALLUS : Soldier Leadership
    As Soldiers, Pulsar Soldiers may benefit from Marcus Decimus Gallus’ SOLDIER LEADERSHIP movement bonus.

- MARCUS DECIMUS GALLUS : Soldier Attack Enhancement
    As Soldiers, Pulsar Soldiers may benefit from Marcus Decimus Gallus’ SOLDIER ATTACK ENHANCEMENT.

Synergy Imposed

- N/A
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:09 am

Pulsar Soldiers have been released on Heroscapers. Feel free to post in our NWHC thread every-now-and-then to keep it active over the next couple of months . . . army ideas, impressions of the figures, fun battles you've had, etc.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:22 am

Nomad wrote:Pulsar Soldiers have been released on Heroscapers. Feel free to post in our NWHC thread every-now-and-then to keep it active over the next couple of months . . . army ideas, impressions of the figures, fun battles you've had, etc.

I was *rocked* by the great combo today! Thanks, Nomad

Marcus Decimus ... 100
    Romans x4 ... 300
    Pulsar Soldiers x3 ... 510

A few Marcus bumped attacks for Pulsars at range and a Move 6 Pulsar plus the Legion was Undefeated today.  Ouch.

Thanks for the games.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:58 am