Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming - Page 2 Empty Re: W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming

Post  Lord Kai Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:08 pm

I had another mechanic for Pay, Join, or Die. It keeps some of the same ideas (bring back Pirates) but uses the "Pay" in a different way.

CAPTAIN’S CURRENCY
    At the beginning of the game, choose a Unique Hero or Unique Squad controlled by an opponent and place 3 gold Currency markers on that Army Card.

RANSOM
    Once per turn, when a figure attacked by Kapudan Barbaros or a Pirate you control within 8 clear sight of Kapudan Barbaros receives enough wounds to be destroyed, an opponent may move 1 Currency marker to this Army Card to ignore those wounds.

RECRUITS
    Before taking a turn with Kapudan Barbaros, you may remove 1 Currency marker to activate Recruits. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1 – 5, nothing happens. If you roll a 6 – 11, place 1 previously destroyed common squad pirate you control in your start zone. If you roll 12 – 16, place 2 pirates. If you roll, 17 – 20, place 3 pirates.
    Nomad
    Nomad

W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming - Page 2 Empty Re: W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming

Post  Nomad Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:44 pm

Wow, that is pretty creative!

I really like the simplicity (in comparison) of the original power "Pay, Die, or Join" and would like to pursue it further in play-testing. Not that I'm trying to squash the idea . . .
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:21 am

Nomad wrote:Wow, that is pretty creative!

I really like the simplicity (in comparison) of the original power "Pay, Die, or Join" and would like to pursue it further in play-testing. Not that I'm trying to squash the idea . . .

Thanks, it needs a little wording help. And I'm sure the concept of giving Currency to another player is odd at first - but it makes your opponent have to decide if they want to loose a figure to give you a chance to bring back more Pirates. Certainly has an effect late-game : )

Let's try it next time.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:47 am

I know that Derek really wanted to put out a Quartermaster pirate figure that would have allowed for Barbarossa to bond with the pirates . . . should we wait, put forward our own Quartermaster, or pursue developing this figure without the Quartermaster.

I am thinking to pursue without the Quartermaster. The Quartermaster would be added on its own merits and with its own additional points to an army build.

What do you think. I've painted the figure - and it looks really cool. I have a figure for you as well and will paint when ready.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:07 am

I think he should be able to bond with the Pirates now : )  

This is the Quartermaster, right?

https://crypticalliance.forumotion.com/t151-quartermaster
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:14 am

Nomad wrote:Wow, that is pretty creative!

Cool, let's go back to the original version : )
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:13 am

Regarding a couple of posts ago. Yes, that is the current figure being considered as the Quartermaster . . . the thread for the Quartermaster reveals that he might be a defector from the British navy. But, Derek wasn't sold on that and was thinking about finding a different figure for the Quartermaster. I really liked the figure and I really like the possible backstory.

Bonding now is fine with me . . . but I think Derek was thinking that this figure's personality was "Persuasive" rather the "Reckless".

What pirate isn't Reckless? If we changed his personality to reckless, he would bond with the pirates right now.

I understand Derek's thought about the Quartermaster having a Parmenio type of power to name one other figure as Reckless to bond with the pirates. This opens up potentially more alternative bonders.

I am at an impasse. I initially wanted Babarbossa to bond right away with the pirate but I want to be respectful of Derek's design wishes.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:38 pm

Nomad wrote:Regarding a couple of posts ago. Yes, that is the current figure being considered as the Quartermaster . . . the thread for the Quartermaster reveals that he might be a defector from the British navy. But, Derek wasn't sold on that and was thinking about finding a different figure for the Quartermaster. I really liked the figure and I really like the possible backstory.

Bonding now is fine with me . . . but I think Derek was thinking that this figure's personality was "Persuasive" rather the "Reckless".

What pirate isn't Reckless? If we changed his personality to reckless, he would bond with the pirates right now.

I understand Derek's thought about the Quartermaster having a Parmenio type of power to name one other figure as Reckless to bond with the pirates. This opens up potentially more alternative bonders.

I am at an impasse. I initially wanted Babarbossa to bond right away with the pirate but I want to be respectful of Derek's design wishes.

Good with me. Let's keep the Quartermaster as a Parmenio like figure = who makes other folks Reckless to bring them into the Pirate bonding circle.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:13 pm

I am good with the other figure as a quartermaster. If Barbarossa has class pirate, we can limit pirates to getting the reckless designation (or pirates/(some other fitting designation) to open up possibilities.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:41 am

Here are my suggestions . . .

W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming - Page 2 BarbarosEinar.3.NWHC

Kapudan Barbaros (I could also see the name as just Barbaros)

General: Einar (I like the idea of spreading the pirates out over the generals, like the cowboys. His color scheme seems to fit Einar)
    Planet: Earth

Species: Human
    Unique Hero
    Class: Pirate
    Personality: Persuasive
    Medium 5

Life: 5
    Move: 5
    Range: 1
    Attack: 4
    Defense: 4
    100 Points

PAY, DIE, OR JOIN
    When a small or medium figure attacked by Kapudan Barbaros or a Pirate you control within clear sight of Kapudan Barbaros receives enough wounds to be destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1-7 your opponent may reveal a numbered Order Marker to ignore any wounds received. If you roll 8-14 destroy the defending figure. If you roll a 15 or higher, destroy the figure and place a previously destroyed Common Squad Pirate you control adjacent to Kapudan Barbaros, if possible.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:37 pm

First draft of the card . . .

W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming - Page 2 Y4mHDjUIACXkvQbiG4QTNtsf1cNs5VnL82OzADwWCvHkLIuKlYbPHOfiFN6mW-gL-DZDsAK-o2nX-H22Cmj4piv85dqpx4PgTtvv7umVPNrWVo0-ATD-UUkfDNkSpKSVI-u_av9U93qBoJjtLyjRizuAf-HJRJGELZkgPmG3Y1WrjI9bw1WkxX8QuxDWus5DxG64dEqpokAz2jnkb8TQE0BcA?width=1024&height=961&cropmode=none
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:59 pm

We have done 6+ play tests with this figure. He is very good. I am not going suggest any changes, but I am thinking we might want to subtract one from his life, attack, or defense. I also wonder if we could tweak his power to work with the Buccaneers of Tortuga as well.

Kapudan Barbaros

General: Einar

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

Defense: 4
    100 Points

PAY, DIE, OR JOIN
    When a small or medium figure attacked by Kapudan Barbaros or a Pirate you control within clear sight of Kapudan Barbaros receives enough wounds to be destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1-7 your opponent may reveal and remove a numbered Order Marker to ignore any wounds received. If you roll 8-14 destroy the defending figure. If you roll a 15 or higher, destroy the figure and place a previously destroyed Common Squad Pirate you control adjacent to Kapudan Barbaros, if possible.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:33 pm

Very interesting figure! I like the interaction with the other player making a choice on the die roll.

I could see dropping Defense to 3, since he's not heavily armored for a human.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:33 pm

All in favor of dropping defense to 3. We could include rogue with pirate for power to include Buccaneers of Tortuga. Also makes me wonder if we include rogue or pirate for Nathaniel Ward to increase some options there, with maybe a size restriction?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:41 pm

Something like this?

Kapudan Barbaros

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

Defense: 3
    100 Points

PAY, DIE, OR JOIN
    When a small or medium figure attacked by Kapudan Barbaros, a Pirate, or a Rogue you control within clear sight of Kapudan Barbaros receives enough wounds to be destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1-7 your opponent may reveal and remove a numbered Order Marker to ignore any wounds received. If you roll 8-14 destroy the defending figure. If you roll a 15 or higher, destroy the figure and place a previously destroyed Common Squad Pirate or Rogue you control adjacent to Kapudan Barbaros, if possible.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:59 pm

I like. What do you think about changing roll to 1-5 and 16 or higher? Don't think it would effect cost and might balance out addition of rogues.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:00 pm

I like. What do you think about changing roll to 1-5 and 16 or higher? Don't think it would effect cost and might balance out addition of rogues.

In all of my playtests, the revealing an order marker didn't come into play much for a variety of reasons - no numbered order markers to reveal (end of round), the figure wasn't worth saving to lose a turn (usually a common), or the roll just didn't land on a 7 or less. I wouldn't change it. My 2 cents.

On the other end, a 16 or higher might be worth considering. In the battles that Barbaros and friends rolled, the usually got a couple of Corsairs back into the battle. It really doesn't happen that often, but it can be a big bonus. And with various glyphs and powers out there that give d20 bonuses, this is a good idea.

PAY, DIE, OR JOIN
    When a small or medium figure attacked by Kapudan Barbaros, a Pirate, or a Rogue you control within clear sight of Kapudan Barbaros receives enough wounds to be destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1-7 your opponent may reveal and remove a numbered Order Marker to ignore any wounds received. If you roll 8-15 destroy the defending figure. If you roll a 16 or higher, destroy the figure and place a previously destroyed Common Squad Pirate or Rogue you control adjacent to Kapudan Barbaros, if possible.

By the way, I still think this is one of the coolest powers!
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:20 pm

Kapudan Barbaros
    NWHC Wave 5 – Harbingers of Triumph - Heroes of the Banner

W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming - Page 2 Y4mweIKDuF4RulJlrZEplRxBk2CzUvkEbdqOiaq8RHzwMEV9_XX6fgn5uPAXitLxd3U-lOtxFy4QuokY-QZAhz5w4yL4lPukcc0UaETyH34DmxFtZUkb-_0FUxmrQFxy34OYZy5bkxYumlKp8RNxLdy-JIc_MQ7YxbgKy6JHiyzfrBGfLNvCrZPcyB5wmHsNWeMw3WcEnZK_LhbL06WO6dOOA?width=1024&height=961&cropmode=none

W-5 Kheir ed-Din Barbarossa- pirate hero brainstorming - Page 2 Y4mzQrmYxkHN6lAjZw-0LJN15YknExEqQKvaBwkepXnO4w6_dXOrfUqHZEv_Msp_6zY9AIlLtBhPfVIcNSEKq36yAUqjgtFnjbTNTtN8udePwdENBoAWBb7Pmmsiuj9rEhqDklqMErkavo5JGjnCegaKNGidyOKPGZDvbPcvAybVgcCtdd62cmn7BDeC_rzgvIW8Zo7pVv_gRkrx8neUy3tKA?width=1024&height=966&cropmode=none

PDF DOWNLOAD, front
    PDF DOWNLOAD, back

Figure: Reaper, Dark Heaven Legends Bones, Barnabus Frost, Pirate Captain (painted)

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

Defense: 3
    100 Points

PAY, DIE, OR JOIN
    When a small or medium figure attacked by Kapudan Barbaros, a Pirate, or a Rogue you control within clear sight of Kapudan Barbaros receives enough wounds to be destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1-7 your opponent may reveal and remove a numbered Order Marker to ignore any wounds received. If you roll 8-15 destroy the defending figure. If you roll a 16 or higher, destroy the figure and place a previously destroyed Common Squad Pirate or Rogue you control adjacent to Kapudan Barbaros, if possible.

Character Bio:
    Curled up in the finest velvet, he dreamed of the sea; the cunning invasions of distant shores, the plunder of immense value, the respect and wealth and adventure that accompanied his former days. In the morning his servants could not find him when calling him for breakfast. Einar had summoned the great Barbaros to ensure victory through his persuasive powers of negotiation on the seas of Valhalla.

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- N/A

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered

-EBON ARMOR: Animated Materiel/Eternal War
    As a Unique Human Hero, if an Ebon Armor figure is destroyed you may place that Ebon Armor on Kapudan Barbaros' Card. If Kapudan Barbaros is destroyed by a normal or special attack, or by a leaving engagement attack, you may replace Kapudan Barbaros with that Ebon Armor on the battlefield.

-HATAMOTO TARO: Adjacent Tough 1
    As a figure who follows Einar, Kapudan Barbaros causes an adjacent, friendly Hatamoto Taro to add one automatic shield to his defense roll using his ADJACENT TOUGH special power.

-PIRATE or ROGUE COMMON SQUAD FIGURE: Pay, Die, or Join
    Destroyed Pirate or Rogue common squad figure may rejoin the battle via Kapudan Barbaros' PAY, DIE, OR JOIN special power. Pirate and Rogue common squads include Barbary Corsairs, Beakface Sneaks and Buccaneers of Tortuga.

Synergy Benefits Received

-COUNT RAYMOND: Maneuver 9
    As a Human that follows Einar, Kapudan Barbaros may benefit from Count Raymond’s MANEUVER 9 leaving engagement roll.

-NATHANIEL WARD: Pirate Leader
    As a Pirate, Kapudan Barbaros may benefit from Nathaniel Ward’s PIRATE SUPREMACY d20 enhancement.

Synergy Imposed

- N/A

Last edited by Nomad on Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:41 am

looks good.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:49 pm

OK, are we happy to make Barbaros final?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:54 am

Yes. Don't really care too much, but if I was able to get a decent picture of the paint job I did could an alternate card get made? Only if it was as simple as substituting picture and not redoing hit zones and the more time consuming stuff.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:06 pm

Sure - please take the pic with a white background.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:16 am

Barbaros has been shared on Heroscapers (3/16/20). Derek, I will do the alternate card per our conversation.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:11 am

Curled up in the finest velvet, he dreamed of the sea; the cunning invasions of distant shores, the plunder of immense value, the respect and wealth and adventure that accompanied his former days. In the morning his servants could not find him when calling him for breakfast. Einar had summoned the great Barbarossa to ensure victory on the seas of Valhalla.

Improve if you like.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:42 pm

Very nice. Just adding a line if that is OK.

Curled up in the finest velvet, he dreamed of the sea; the cunning invasions of distant shores, the plunder of immense value, the respect and wealth and adventure that accompanied his former days. In the morning his servants could not find him when calling him for breakfast. Einar had summoned the great Barbaros to ensure victory through his persuasive powers of negotiation on the seas of Valhalla.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 12:12 am