Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W5 - Kooko-makwa - Owlbear Totem Spirit - Final

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W5 - Kooko-makwa - Owlbear Totem Spirit - Final Empty W5 - Kooko-makwa - Owlbear Totem Spirit - Final

Post  Lord Kai Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:34 pm

So I saw this figure and had some ideas:

W5 - Kooko-makwa - Owlbear Totem Spirit - Final Pathfinder-battles-rusty-dragon-inn-32-beaky-uncommon-beaky-32-uncommon-5

01-15-2017 Update:

Different direction - recording for brain-storming, not sure this works : P

OWL SPIRIT
    Figure: Pathfinder, Rusty Dragon Inn, Beaky

General: Aquilla
    Planet: Earth

Species: Spirit
    Unique Hero
    Class: Tribesman
    Personality: Fearsome
    Large 8

Life: 5
    Move: 6
    Range: 1
    Attack: 5
    Defense: 3
    120 Points

AVENGING SPIRIT
    Once per turn when a Fearsome Human you control is destroyed, you may place a Spirit marker on this Army Card.  

FRENZY
    After you take a turn with Owl Spirit, roll the 20-sided die.  If you roll a 16 or higher, you may take another turn with Owl Spirit.  Add 1 to your roll for each Spirit marker on this Army Card.

INSUBSTANTIAL 3
    Owl Spirit adds 3 additional defense die when rolling defense against a normal attack from a figure who is not adjacent.

Original Post:
    Spoiler:
    Needs some work and a real name : )  but jotting down some ideas.

Last edited by Lord Kai on Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:42 pm; edited 6 times in total
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W5 - Kooko-makwa - Owlbear Totem Spirit - Final Empty Re: W5 - Kooko-makwa - Owlbear Totem Spirit - Final

Post  Lord Kai Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:19 am

Game play would be something like 3 Mohican River Tribesmen are destroyed and placed one at a time on Owl Spirit. Now with 3 Tribesmen on Owl Spirit, you can summon the Owl Spirit onto the battlefield. He'll have 3 Life but also able to ignore 3 wounds (so more equivalent to 6 Life).

You could wait until two squads of Mohican's are destroyed, leaving 6 figures on the Owl Spirit so 3 Life but 6 wounds to ignore (more equivalent of 9 life).

This could get really powerful with say 3 squads of Mohicans leading to a 12 wound (3 life + 9 ignore wounds) clean-up figure. Might need to limit it to just 3 Tribesmen (so 3 life + 3 ignore wounds).
    Nomad
    Nomad

W5 - Kooko-makwa - Owlbear Totem Spirit - Final Empty Re: W5 - Kooko-makwa - Owlbear Totem Spirit - Final

Post  Nomad Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:44 pm

Very interesting . . . and much to think about with this totally different type of figure.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:21 pm

Nomad wrote:Very interesting . . . and much to think about with this totally different type of figure.

Thanks. I ordered the figure earlier this week, so I am curious to see how big it is compared to normal Heroscape figures.

And I might be trying too hard on the Powers : ) he could just be a fun hybrid beastie for Aquilla.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:40 pm

Speak of the devil ... he arrived today and is HUGE!!!

W5 - Kooko-makwa - Owlbear Totem Spirit - Final Owlbear
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon May 23, 2016 10:10 pm

Weird - the owl in the first pic is different from the figure in the last pic (angle of head).

Also, the only Tribesman in the game is Brave Arrow. The Mohicans are Scouts. I know that the powers on the Mohican's card refers to them as Tribesman, but it is not their species, class or personality. Some wording needs to be considered here.

And, the last power states that when the last Tribesman is removed from the card, then the Totem is destroyed. But he has 3 lives. We need to discuss how this would be worded, because I'm a bit confused on how it works when comparing to your "Game play . . ." post. Do you put wound markers on the Owl first, and then start pulling off dead Mohicans?

Moon tribe? Mohicans are of the River Tribe.

My two cents (OK, you get a nickels worth). Changes and suggestions in red.

Unique Hero
    Huge 10

. . .

I started rewording powers, but realized that it would take more time than I have right now . . . stay tuned, but please consider my earlier observations/suggestions. It may also be interesting to see what C3V comes up with in their new native squad, but that could be a year or two down the line.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue May 24, 2016 6:20 pm

Ha! I thought the Mohicans were Tribesman .. I'll have to update that wording then but I think you got the idea.

Nomad wrote:And, the last power states that when the last Tribesman is removed from the card, then the Totem is destroyed. But he has 3 lives. We need to discuss how this would be worded, because I'm a bit confused on how it works when comparing to your "Game play . . ." post. Do you put wound markers on the Owl first, and then start pulling off dead Mohicans?

Think of the Mohicans as exo-skeleton markers. You are deciding to take wounds or remove Mohicans. I might need to work on wording here too.

Moon Tribe .. I was going with a sort of werewolf style "lunar" transformation. I'd write up some sort of Bio to talk about the magic of the Moon Tribe working with the River Tribe.

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue May 24, 2016 6:40 pm

Lord Kai wrote:Ha! I thought the Mohicans were Tribesman .. I'll have to update that wording then but I think you got the idea.

Nomad wrote:And, the last power states that when the last Tribesman is removed from the card, then the Totem is destroyed. But he has 3 lives. We need to discuss how this would be worded, because I'm a bit confused on how it works when comparing to your "Game play . . ." post. Do you put wound markers on the Owl first, and then start pulling off dead Mohicans?

Think of the Mohicans as exo-skeleton markers.  You are deciding to take wounds or remove Mohicans.  I might need to work on wording here too.

Moon Tribe .. I was going with a sort of werewolf style "lunar" transformation.  I'd write up some sort of Bio to talk about the magic of the Moon Tribe working with the River Tribe.

re-wording:

OWL SPIRIT

Unique Hero
    Large 8

Life: 3
    Move: 5
    Attack: 6
    70 Points

AVENGING SPIRIT
    Owl Spirit does not begin the game on the battlefield.  He must be summoned onto the battlefield with the AVATAR OF THE MOON TRIBE special power.  

If Owl Spirit is not on the battlefield, once per turn when a Human Scout you control is destroyed, you may place a Moon marker on this Army Card.  At the start of each round, before order markers are placed, if there are at least 3 Moon markers on this card, you must place Owl Spirit on any space adjacent to a figure you control that follows Aquilla.  

PROTECTED SOUL
    When Owl Spirit would receive a wound marker, you may instead remove a Moon marker from this Army Card to ignore that wound.

Last edited by Lord Kai on Mon May 30, 2016 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat May 28, 2016 11:13 am

You would rather use Moon Markers instead of Mohicans on the card?

No limit to the number of Moon Markers? So if I run an army of Mohicans x5, Owl Spirit, and Brave Arrow (470 points), Owl Spirit could have basically 18 lives?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon May 30, 2016 6:13 pm

Nomad wrote:You would rather use Moon Markers instead of Mohicans on the card?

No limit to the number of Moon Markers? So if I run an army of Mohicans x5, Owl Spirit, and Brave Arrow (470 points), Owl Spirit could have basically 18 lives?

Ha! I totally messed that up ... I updated the language.

If Owl Spirit is not on the battlefield, once per turn when a Human Scout you control is destroyed, you may place a Moon marker on this Army Card.  At the start of each round, before order markers are placed, if there are at least 3 Moon markers on this card, you must place Owl Spirit on any space adjacent to a figure you control that follows Aquilla.  

I made it a requirement that after there are at least 3 Moon markers than you have to put him on the battlefield.  You might be able to min-max it so there are more than 3 but certainly not 18 : )

The limit of adding a Moon marker once-per-turn will mean that the fastest way to an Owl Spirit is a Mohican dying each turn. Since adding markers is optional, you could let the Owl Spirit sit at 2 markers at the end of a round and then hope that multiple Mohicans are destroyed the following round (maybe 3 .. one per OM's) to get the Owl Spirit up to 5 markers. You could also lose more Mohicans if your opponent has bonding turns (Grimnak chomp one then the blades kill one each turn .. that could be 6 in a round).

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon May 30, 2016 6:47 pm

I like it! We will have to add your description to the clarifications, but I like opportunities for decisions . . . when do I put Moon Markers on the Owl-Bear.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue May 31, 2016 1:49 am

Nomad wrote: . . . when do I put Moon Markers on the Owl-Bear.

Once per turn when a Human Scout is destroyed.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:06 pm

Got that . . . I was just stating what the player would have to decide when playing the Owl-Bear.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:29 am

Cool. We can leave this guy for Wave 5.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:50 am

Different direction - recording for brain-storming, not sure this works : P

OWL SPIRIT

Unique Hero
    Large 8

120 Points

AVENGING SPIRIT
    Once per turn when a Fearsome Human you control is destroyed, you may place a Spirit marker on this Army Card.  

FRENZY
    After you take a turn with Owl Spirit, roll the 20-sided die.  If you roll a 16 or higher, you may take another turn with Owl Spirit.  Add 1 to your roll for each Spirit marker on this Army Card.

INSUBSTANTIAL 3
    Owl Spirit adds 3 additional defense die when rolling defense against a normal attack from a figure who is not adjacent.

Army Ideas:
    # 1
    Mohican River Tribe x3 ... 210
    Zetacron ... 270
    Saar Whisper-Scout x2 ... 380
    Owl Spirit ... 500

# 2
    Mohican River Tribe x3 ... 210
    Venoc Warlord ... 330
    Owl Spirit ... 450
    Brave Arrow ... 500
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:39 pm

Like this new version a bit better. I don't think not being able to start a figure on the battlefield is a good idea if it is reliant on other figures- (the only time the figure will be played is when the depended upon figure is used). How does the Owl Bear fit in the D&D universe?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:01 pm

Derek S wrote:Like this new version a bit better.  I don't think not being able to start a figure on the battlefield is a good idea if it is reliant on other figures- (the only time the figure will be played is when the depended upon figure is used).  How does the Owl Bear fit in the D&D universe?

The D&D Owlbear is basically just a 'monster' that is magical hybrid of a bear and an owl. It is not a 'spirit' like I was trying to do here.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:41 am

So, the big question at this point in the development of this Owl-bear, is what C3V is planning on doing with their Owl-bear to be released in their current wave . . . but that may take awhile. What to do?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:04 pm

Nomad wrote:So, the big question at this point in the development of this Owl-bear, is what C3V is planning on doing with their Owl-bear to be released in their current wave . . . but that may take awhile. What to do?

I am okay shelving our Owlbear until they come out with theirs .. we have enough figures in the pipeline.

Unless one of us has a crazy-good ideas, of course!
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:51 pm

Started to work on the card, but would like to provide some input and ask for clarification.

OWL SPIRIT

Species: Spirit (Do we want to go with Owlbear like Kozil?)
    Unique Hero
    Large 8

120 Points

AVENGING SPIRIT
    Once per turn when a Fearsome Human you control is destroyed, you may place a Spirit marker on this Army Card. (Should there be a maximum number? If I have 5 squads of Mohicans/Makwa and they all get wiped out, getting a plus 15 on Frenzy would be overpowered and make Owl Spirit the best clean-up figure ever).

FRENZY
    After you take a turn with Owl Spirit, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, you may take another turn with Owl Spirit. Add 1 to your roll for each Spirit marker on this Army Card. (Should we add that last sentence to the power above so that Frenzy stays Frenzy? Something like: Add 1 to your roll for Frenzy for each Spirit marker on this Army Card.)

INSUBSTANTIAL 3
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:52 pm

Great suggestions on wording here. For Spirit Markers, since you can only gain 1 per turn (even if 3 Mohicans are destroyed), I didn't think there would be a limit. But who know if someone is playing a 1,000 point game or something.

AVENGING SPIRIT
    Once per turn when a Fearsome Human you control is destroyed, you may place a Spirit marker on this Army Card. Add 1 to your die roll for Frenzy for each Spirit marker on this Army Card (to a maximum of +5).

FRENZY
    After you take a turn with Owl Spirit, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, you may take another turn with Owl Spirit.

And we might need a better name than Owl Spirit since it is a unique figure. I could look into some mythology for a good name.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:33 am

I plan on giving this guy some play tests soon.

Koo-makwa (did some research, this could mean owl-bear in Ojibwa/Algonquin. Gookooko means "owl" and Makwa means "bear").

Species: Spirit Owlbear (to keep it consistent with Kozil and C3V)
    Unique Hero
    Large 8

120 Points

AVENGING SPIRIT
    Once per turn when a Fearsome Human you control is destroyed, you may place a Spirit marker on this Army Card. Add 1 to your die roll for Frenzy for each Spirit marker on this Army Card up to a maximum of +5.

FRENZY
    After you take a turn with Koo-makwa, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, you may take another turn with Koo-makwa.

INSUBSTANTIAL 3
    Koo-makwa adds 3 additional defense die when rolling defense against a normal attack from a figure who is not adjacent.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:25 pm

We got in three play tests. This unit does not do well as a screen for the Teeth of Makwa, but it shines as a cleanup figure. With 5 Teeth on his card, Kooko-makwa was hitting frenzy over half of the time and rolled through 6 opposing figures in four turns to win a battle. I am going to make some suggested changes. I don't see this figure as a Tribesman. Yes, it will lose advancing the Teeth and War Cry from the Mohicans, but I think it will still be a great figure and fits nicely with the Fearsome faction. More play tests are in order.

Kooko-makwa

Species: Owlbear
    Unique Hero
    Class: Totem
    Large 8

120 Points

AVENGING SPIRIT
    Once per turn when a Fearsome Human you control is destroyed, you may place a Spirit marker on this Army Card. Add 1 to your die roll for Frenzy for each Spirit marker on this Army Card up to a maximum of +5.

FRENZY
    After you take a turn with Kooko-makwa, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, you may take another turn with Kooko-makwa.

INSUBSTANTIAL 3
    Kooko-makwa adds 3 additional defense die when rolling defense against a normal attack from a figure who is not adjacent.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:41 pm

Yeah being a Totem makes more sense. And I'm glad he/she/it was kicking some butt! Lots of plastic to make that figure : )

Do you think a +3 Frenzy max bonus is in order? You only accumulate one per turn if there is a bad turn where multiple squad figures go down you are only getting 1 marker.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:27 pm

Let's give the figure more play tests with the cap still at 5. We played it as only one figure per turn could be placed on the card.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 9:35 pm