Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W5 - Murazath, FINAL

Nomad
    Nomad

W5 - Murazath, FINAL Empty W5 - Murazath, FINAL

Post  Nomad Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:57 pm

Murazath
    NWHC Wave 5 – Harbingers of Triumph - Heroes of the Shadow

W5 - Murazath, FINAL Y4meM-VkArtVoPn-mn5kfxN6ojmrXx2dz_v5x3Pw_uSswNtMLGPGRrCqIXHS1N3Qk4egt7xDRSGGXrsOnf28fgOMhfNK_wzvXT2amZHEwHIFD789K_J92BfBLmOmQiMqqQbFA1Jom43d3tusLrKZGC9voqOmxo-oNR7ds8L2ZuX25FzfZJ0kHYvTaFh4HKWF5GoaGtT7_LNa-airBMFWyu5HQ?width=1024&height=961&cropmode=none
    W5 - Murazath, FINAL Y4mPRCYFIlBaBfdWJPHfrce_fqxAq9EylUX2oowotU-i93jn2muIiFCpeYgWrxKrAwRVJd44lwX6Jh3srxUN3VAvgYLskf13YsPPEW__rvI7Op0SHe7-9eo9SuOielpr-i-6Wjh8quip3jk7VcsTASlvsd1CSWEu5wCZ6PqagMIXz_9CRu0xfHe18IkeMrDvQAwlWXS7WKHLdqIj_WLOCoN8Q?width=1024&height=966&cropmode=none

PDF DOWNLOAD, front
    PDF DOWNLOAD, back

Figure: Combat Hex, Lord of the Rings, 037 Twilight Ringwraith

General: Utgar
    Planet: Toril

Species: Undead
    Unique Hero
    Class: Duke
    Personality: Tormented
    Medium 5

Life: 4
    Move: 7
    Range: 1
    Attack: 3
    Defense: 5
    100 Points

CROWN OF BLEAKWOODE
    When a Devourer you control attacks a figure engaged with Murazath with a normal attack, before defense dice are rolled, you may re-roll one attack die that did not show a skull. When a Devourer you control within 6 clear sight spaces of Murazath rolls the 20-sided die for a special power, you may add 1 to your roll.

UNDEAD MOVEMENT BONDING
    When revealing an order marker on Murazath's Army Card, after taking his turn, you may take a turn with three Undead Squad figures you control. The Undead Squad figures cannot attack during this turn.

STEALTH FLYING
    When counting spaces for Murazath’s movement, ignore elevations. Murazath may fly over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and fly over obstacles such as ruins. When Murazath starts to fly, if he is engaged he will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

Character Bio:
    Like the Phantom Knights, Muzarath was righteous in a previous life, but he is tormented by his new ethereal form. Muzarath showed leadership skills beyond his fellow wraiths and was bestowed the crown of Bleakwoode and the title of Duke by Utgar. With his new powers that came with that crown and title, Muzarath now inspires the Undead in battle and leads the Shades of Bleakwoode to increased prowess.

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- N/A

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered

-UNDEAD SQUAD FIGURES: Undead Movement Bonding
    Undead squad figures may benefit from Muzarath's UNDEAD MOVEMENT BONDING. Undead squad figures include: Corpse Tormentors, Death Knights of Valkrill, Phantom Knights, Shades of Bleakewoode, Skeletons of Annellintia, Tomb Skeleton Archers, Tomb Skeletons, Zombies of Morindan.

-DEVOURERS: CROWN OF BLEAKWOODE
    Devourer figures may benefit by Muzarath's DEVOURER ENHANCEMENT attack die re-roll and d20 enhancement. Devourer figures include Anubian Wolves, Ashi-Dhulu, Corpse Tormentors, Marcu Esenwein, Minotaurs of Nullondia, Rechets of Bogdan, Shades of Bleakewoode, The Varja.

-SKELETONS OF ANNELLINTIA: Necromancy
    As a Unique Duke, Skeletons of Annellintia can be placed on Muzarath's Army Card after being destroyed using the Skeletons of Annellintia NECROMANCY special ability.

Synergy Benefits Received

-ZOMBIE HULK: Paralyzing Fear
    As an Undead figure, Murazath may be aided by Zombie Hulks's PARALYZING FEAR special ability.

-TORIN: Evil Eye Protection
    As a Medium figure that follows Utgar, Murazath may benefit from Torin's Evil Eye Protection defensive ability.

Synergy Imposed

-ANA KARITHON: Turn Undead Special Attack
    As an Undead figure, Muzarath is subject to Ana Karithon’s TURN UNDEAD SPECIAL ATTACK.

-VAN NESSING: Divine Mission
    As an Undead figure, Muzarath is subject to Van Nessing’s +2 attack die when Van Nessing takes another turn using DIVINE MISSION.

-SHADOW SLAYERS OF KRESNIK: Study of the Dark Arts
    As an Undead figure, Muzarath can never receive height, terrain, or special power dice bonuses when attacking or defending against a Shadow Slayer of Kresnik.

Last edited by Nomad on Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:43 pm; edited 9 times in total
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W5 - Murazath, FINAL Empty Re: W5 - Murazath, FINAL

Post  Lord Kai Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:09 pm

Can we give him Move 7?

Any bump to the d20 for the Shades for their Possession?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:15 pm

Sure - I was just throwing out some ideas to get started. A bump for taking possession of a hero could be significant.

Do you think straight bonding is too boring? I tried to limit it so that this figure has to be engaged. What do you think if it was a movement bonding instead. This would help with shades get more rolls for soul possession. Since both the shades and the phantoms have stealth flying, movement bonding might just be enough, and it would keep this figure's points lower.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:22 pm

Nomad wrote:Sure - I was just throwing out some ideas to get started. A bump for taking possession of a hero could be significant.

Do you think straight bonding is too boring? I tried to limit it so that this figure has to be engaged. What do you think if it was a movement bonding instead. This would help with shades get more rolls for soul possession. Since both the shades and the phantoms have stealth flying, movement bonding might just be enough, and it would keep this figure's points lower.

The Phantom Knights are pretty good already.  The Shades need the most help - and I would be okay with straight Bonding for the Shades.  

Hmmm ... lots of options.

1. Engaged Bonding -
    When revealing an Order Marker on Murazath's Army Card, after taking his turn, if Murazath is engaged, you may immediately take a turn with any Undead Devourer or Undead Knight Squad you control.

2.  Unengaged Bonding -
    When revealing an Order Marker on Murazath's Army Card, if Murazath is unengaged, you may first take a turn with any Undead Devourer or Knight Squad you control.  [sort of like the Zombie Hulk]

3.  Movement Bonding -
    When revealing an Order Marker on Murazath's Army Card, before taking his turn, you may move 3 Undead squad figures with the Stealth Flying ability up to 6 spaces each.

Perhaps bump his Defense from 3 to 5 and drop Insubstantial in favor of another power.

How about something like:

NECROMANTIC AURA
    When a Devourer you control who follows Utgar attacks a figure engaged with Murazath with a normal attack, before defense dice are rolled, you may re-roll one attack die that did not show a skull.  When a Devourer you control within 6 clear sight spaces of Murazath rolls the 20-sided die for a special power, you may add 1 to your roll.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:33 am

Good ideas. I would still like to keep the Rechets involved, so I would vote against a movement bonding only being for stealth flyers, but I love the idea of re-rolling an attack (especially to help the Rechets) . . . how about this? I think he might be a little strong even when bumping to 100 points.

Unique Hero
    Class: Wraith
    Medium 5

100 Points

CROWN OF BLEAKWOODE
    When a Devourer you control attacks a figure engaged with Murazath with a normal attack, before defense dice are rolled, you may re-roll one attack die that did not show a skull. When a Devourer you control within 6 clear sight spaces of Murazath rolls the 20-sided die for a special power, you may add 1 to your roll.

UNDEAD TRANSLATION
    When revealing an Order Marker on Murazath's Army Card, after taking his turn, you may immediately move three Undead Squad figures you control up to 4 spaces each.

STEALTH FLYING
    When counting spaces for Murazath’s movement, ignore elevations. Murazath may fly over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and fly over obstacles such as ruins. When Murazath starts to fly, if it is engaged it will not take any leaving engagement attacks.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:24 am

Crown of Bleakwoode is awesome. Great figure, need to get it, and really like whats going on here.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:29 am

Derek S wrote:Crown of Bleakwoode is awesome.  Great figure, need to get it, and really like whats going on here.

It is a cool figure! I can grab one for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOTR-TMG-Combat-Hex-FE-037-Twilight-Ringwraith-RARE-/401071834704?hash=item5d61be8650:g:cswAAOSwQYZWwOK3
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:08 am

Nomad wrote:Good ideas. I would still like to keep the Rechets involved, so I would vote against a movement bonding only being for stealth flyers, but I love the idea of re-rolling an attack (especially to help the Rechets) . . . how about this? I think he might be a little strong even when bumping to 100 points.

Unique Hero
    Class: Wraith
    Medium 5

100 Points

CROWN OF BLEAKWOODE

UNDEAD TRANSLATION
    When revealing an Order Marker on Murazath's Army Card, after taking his turn, you may immediately move three Undead Squad figures you control up to 4 spaces each.

STEALTH FLYING
    When counting spaces for Murazath’s movement, ignore elevations. Murazath may fly over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and fly over obstacles such as ruins. When Murazath starts to fly, if it is engaged it will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

I like this version!! Wouldn't mind play-testing. I could see bumping the Undead Translation movement bonding to 5 spaces. That's still short for Phantom Knights and Shades but helps if folks move Zombies or Skeletons. And you want to keep him a Wraith - and not give him a title since he could then work with Skeletons of Annellintia?

DEVOURERS
    Anubian Wolves
    Marcu Esenwein
    Rechets Of Bogdan
    Shades Of Bleakwoode
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:47 pm

Crown of Bleakwoode implies he is a king/ruler. Undead Translation doesn't quite work for me, but I could go with it. How about Follow the Undead Crown (lame) or something along those lines. Undead Orders?

That would be awesome!
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:31 am

Crown of Bleakwoode implies he is a king/ruler. Undead Translation doesn't quite work for me, but I could go with it. How about Follow the Undead Crown (lame) or something along those lines. Undead Orders?

I am not sure why Undead Translation doesn't work with Crown of Bleakwoode. Or is it just the name of the power that doesn't work?

Which is kind of what I am thinking.

How about "Undead Advance"?

And you want to keep him a Wraith - and not give him a title since he could then work with Skeletons of Annellintia?

I don't think I considered that. Are you proposing that Murazath also rebirth Skeletons? I'm OK with that, with even more of bump in points. It would read something like this then:

Unique Hero
    Class: Duke or Lord?
    Medium 5

120 Points
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:28 am

PLAY TEST REPORT

Murazath, Shades x4 = 520 points
    Gilbert, Thorgrim, Orrick, KoW x4 = 515 points
    @ Savage Corridor (Swamp, Jungle, FotA)

I played this game over a couple of weeks (10 minutes here and there). The battle took many rounds due to the high number of defense dice each army was rolling. The Shades benefited from the movement bonding with Murazath, but not with the +1 on their twenty sider. I rolled for Soul Possession 12 times in the battle, but was only able to pull it off with the last Shade on Sir Gilbert. Gilbert got off one lame attack as part of the Shade army before getting destroyed in a couple of turns by Orrick and the KoW (which were nearly surrounding Gilbert at the time of Soul Possession). Losing the last Shade also resulted in a lost turn for the Shade Army. The Knights won with 5 KoW and full life Orrick and Thorgrim left.

Murazath impressions:
    - I liked the way he played in general. His stealth flying, d20 bonus to shades, and stats seemed good. His defense gave him plenty of staying power.
    - The Shades are still terrible. A measly attack of 2 (bumped to 3 a few times thanks to Murazath) took forever to put a dent into the KoW.
    - The soul possession power is really overrated. Take control of a hero, lose a shade and 33 points from your army but gain the hero from the other army. Now you have one more army card to manage for a figure that usually won't have synergy with your army. Plus, many times when you do take control of the hero, it is in a spot that easily attacked by that hero's former army.

Conclusion: Murazath is going to take many play tests to get right. I think he needs a few tweaks to make the Shades better with making the Phantoms or other undead figures better. Stay tuned . . .
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:44 pm

Yeah, the Shades are not very good compared to the Phantom Knights. The Shades should probably be 80-points.

But - they are one of the fastest, most mobile squads in the game with Stealth Flying at Move 7. They are just way over-priced. The ability to permanently steal a Unique is awesome, though it only works 10% of the time and it takes 2 order markers to set up. Still if you grab a Marro Hive or Charos, it can be devastating.

At least Murazath can help with the OM part of it with his move. I tried that with Damien Evershade at our March event (trying to use Cover-Fire) but my targets were never close enough and risking the OM wasn't worth it.

Maybe instead of moving figures 4 spaces, he allows movement bonding - like the Blastrons moving Glads or Nakitas moving Gorillas. This way the Shades could move their full 7 spaces. That might also act as the 'trigger' for Soul Devour. "Before moving ... "

Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:37 am

Just a couple of thoughts here.
    UNDEAD TRANSLATION

What about adding or 1 undead hero to the mix.

Damon wrote:- The Shades are still terrible. A measly attack of 2 (bumped to 3 a few times thanks to Murazath) took forever to put a dent into the KoW.

The Shades attack is the real problem, so if they need some help on that end what about increasing Murazath's attack to 4 or 5. I could see dropping his defense and upping his life as well if you feel he would be too spendy. Although I could see no problems if he was a higher than 100 point hero.

This is a pretty cool figure as is though. Maybe we could look into designing a good undead unique squad with a high attack that could address that issue? I might start looking for some figurines.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:48 am

Derek S wrote:

Damon wrote:- The Shades are still terrible. A measly attack of 2 (bumped to 3 a few times thanks to Murazath) took forever to put a dent into the KoW.

The Shades attack is the real problem, so if they need some help on that end what about increasing Murazath's attack to 4 or 5. I could see dropping his defense and upping his life as well if you feel he would be too spendy.  Although I could see no problems if he was a higher than 100 point hero.

This is a pretty cool figure as is though.  Maybe we could look into designing a good undead unique squad with a high attack that could address that issue?  I might start looking for some figurines.

We do have the Corpse Tormentors as a new Unique Undead Squad. Had not thought of the connection until you mentioned it, Derek. They are low-attack but they do decrease target's defense.

Nomad wrote:The screeching of the mummies actually came from a 1960's B movie. I am good with changing it to "Screech of the Undead"

I would prefer to leave that 3rd mummy as is.

How about this:

CORPSE TORMENTORS

Unique Squad
    Class: Mummy
    Personality: Tormenting
    Medium 5

Life: 1
    Move: 4
    Attack: 2
    Defense: 6
    100 Points

SCREECH OF THE UNDEAD
    All figures within 3 spaces of a Corpse Tormentor subtract 1 die from their attack and 1 die to their defense. Undead figures and Soulborgs are not affected by Screech of the Undead.

CONTAGIOUS DESICCATION
    At the end of each round, you must roll the 20-sided die for each figure adjacent to a Corpse Tormentor. If you roll a 15 or higher, that figure receives 1 wound. Undead figures and Soulborgs are not affected by Contagious Desiccation.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun May 07, 2017 10:58 am

Derek wrote:What about adding or 1 undead hero to the mix.

I would go for that, but I don't want to give Cyprien the boost.

Yes - the Corpse Tormentors might be just what would be good to add to this army to provide the boost. I like the synergy there.

Slight tweaks before my next play test will be in the next post.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun May 07, 2017 11:14 am

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

120 Points

CROWN OF BLEAKWOODE (boosts Rechets, Shades, Anubians, Marcu)

UNDEAD MOVEMENT BONDING (kind of like Zaeus. Works with Rechets, Shades, Phantoms, Death Knights, Skeletons of A, Tomb Skeletons, Tomb Archers, Zombies, Mummies)
    When revealing an Order Marker on Murazath's Army Card, after taking his turn, you may take a turn with three Undead Squad figures you control. The Undead Squad figures cannot attack during this turn.

STEALTH FLYING
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue May 09, 2017 10:15 am

Nomad wrote:General: Utgar

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

120 Points

CROWN OF BLEAKWOODE (boosts Rechets, Shades, Anubians, Marcu)

UNDEAD MOVEMENT BONDING (kind of like Zaeus. Works with Rechets, Shades, Phantoms, Death Knights, Skeletons of A, Tomb Skeletons, Tomb Archers, Zombies, Mummies)
    When revealing an Order Marker on Murazath's Army Card, after taking his turn, you may take a turn with three Undead Squad figures you control. The Undead Squad figures cannot attack during this turn.

STEALTH FLYING

Looks good! The Corpse Tormentors are not Devourers so they cannot get the boost from Crown of Bleakwoode but their ability to be 'movement bonded' could certainly help them.

Move 7 and Stealth flying with the a 'move bond' with the Shades makes this group very quick glyph grabbers. Still, the Shades are way over-priced. Could we drop Murazath's price to an even 100?

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:31 pm

100 points?

Hmm, his stats fall in line with other 100 pointers, but with the extra powers he should be a little more. How about 110? If he still isn't quite there, we could drop to 100.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:24 am

Nomad wrote:100 points?

Hmm, his stats fall in line with other 100 pointers, but with the extra powers he should be a little more. How about 110? If he still isn't quite there, we could drop to 100.

As written, he's worth 110 points as a B or B+ character but I'm taking into consideration that the Shades are way over priced. That might mean other combinations open up that make him closer to an A- or A figure but I'm okay with that. I want figures that help bring our collection 'off the shelf' so as long as he isn't a Raelin, I think we're okay.

And play-testing will help. I'd like to see him with the Corpse Tormentors : )
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:30 pm

OK, let's start him at 100 points and see where he falls with more playtests.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:21 pm

OP has been updated with current stats and powers. I have changed the name of the Crown of Bleakwoode power to Devourer Enhancement. I really like Crown of Bleakwoode, but the change made the name more consistent to other Heroscape powers.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Cool, for Devourers =

* Anubian Wolves
    * Marcu Esenwein
    * Rechets of Bogdan
    * Shades of Bleakewoode

These guys might be interesting with DEATH KNIGHTS. The movement bonding will help a 2-person squad and there could be synergy with a Dumetef (Devourer) working with Murazath.

Better with Shades since you coordinate Movement Bonding and Devourer enhancement.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:50 pm

Play Test Report

Murazath, Shades x3, Corpse Tormentors, Marcu Esenwein = 520 points
    v.
    Marcus DG, Legionnaires x3, 10th Reg x2, Mogrimm = 520 points
    @ Thaeberian Wellsprings

Einar won it with 2 Romans, 3 Redcoats, and a full life MDG remaining. Marcu took out three Romans in the last couple of rounds to make it look closer, until he betrayed and then got hammered. MDG jumped on the Glyph of Kelda when he had three wounds to prevent Murazath from Stealth Flying onto it later in the battle. Fun battle in all.

Murazath was very good with lots of staying power with only one wound until late - then he whiffed against a couple of Roman attacks to get knocked out. The movement bonding with the Shades and Tormentors was impressive. The Shades had 12 attempts to Soul Devour MDG and Mogrimm, but never quite got it (rolled 18 three times). Murazath picked off at least his point total in the game, allowed the Shades to re-roll a die a few times on their attack, and really brought those mummies in to create havoc. I would say that Murazath was worth more than his points . . . but those Shades still couldn't quite pull it out against this very good army. One Soul Devour probably would have been enough to turn the tide.

I think Murazath will really help out other undead squads. After the play test, I cannot see changing anything.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:32 pm

Nomad wrote:Play Test Report

Murazath, Shades x3, Corpse Tormentors, Marcu Esenwein = 520 points
    v.
    Marcus DG, Legionnaires x3, 10th Reg x2, Mogrimm = 520 points
    @ Thaeberian Wellsprings

Einar won it with 2 Romans, 3 Redcoats, and a full life MDG remaining. Marcu took out three Romans in the last couple of rounds to make it look closer, until he betrayed and then got hammered. MDG jumped on the Glyph of Kelda when he had three wounds to prevent Murazath from Stealth Flying onto it later in the battle. Fun battle in all.

Murazath was very good with lots of staying power with only one wound until late - then he whiffed against a couple of Roman attacks to get knocked out. The movement bonding with the Shades and Tormentors was impressive. The Shades had 12 attempts to Soul Devour MDG and Mogrimm, but never quite got it (rolled 18 three times). Murazath picked off at least his point total in the game, allowed the Shades to re-roll a die a few times on their attack, and really brought those mummies in to create havoc. I would say that Murazath was worth more than his points . . . but those Shades still couldn't quite pull it out against this very good army. One Soul Devour probably would have been enough to turn the tide.

I think Murazath will really help out other undead squads. After the play test, I cannot see changing anything.

YAY! Shades play-test. You rolled three 18's?! You know they Devour on 19-20 normally? I'm guessing they were not in Murazath's range : (

But glad it was a good game against an A+ army.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:40 pm

One was a natural 18, but out of Murazath's range. The other two were 17s bumped to 18.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:42 pm