Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W5 - Kapta Jorn - Mariedian Unique Hero - Final

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W5 - Kapta Jorn - Mariedian Unique Hero - Final Empty W5 - Kapta Jorn - Mariedian Unique Hero - Final

Post  Lord Kai Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:46 pm

Brainstorming ... too much like Zetacron ... but seems like forever since I designed a custom!!!  very rusty!

CAPTAIN STERLING

Figure: Heroclix, Avengers vs X-Men, Cable #101

General: AQUILLA
    Planet:

Species: Mariedian
    Unique Hero
    Class: Fighter
    Personality: Resolute
    Medium 5

Life: 4
    Move: 5
    Range: 6
    Attack: 2
    Defense: 3
    105 Points

BIONIC BRAWLER
    After attacking an adjacent figure or destructible object, Captain Sterling may attack one additional time.

DEADLY SHOT
    When attacking with Captain Sterling, all skulls rolled count for one additional hit.

TECHNO HATRED
    When attacking a Soulborg, Captain Sterling receives one additional attack die.

Lord Kai wrote:Thought this Heroclix "Cable" is a pretty cool mini.  I picked up 2 and he is nicely sculpted so perhaps a custom is in order.

W5 - Kapta Jorn - Mariedian Unique Hero - Final Avx101

Last edited by Lord Kai on Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:43 pm; edited 5 times in total
    Nomad
    Nomad

W5 - Kapta Jorn - Mariedian Unique Hero - Final Empty Re: W5 - Kapta Jorn - Mariedian Unique Hero - Final

Post  Nomad Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:56 pm

Mariedian indeed.
    Freed from the soulborg process by the resistance fighters part way through the conversion process.
    I could see him having a bit more pop and staying power than your typical Mariedian . . . he is part soulborg after all.

Let the brainstorming begin.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W5 - Kapta Jorn - Mariedian Unique Hero - Final Empty Re: W5 - Kapta Jorn - Mariedian Unique Hero - Final

Post  Lord Kai Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:37 am

Updated OP.

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:21 pm

Trying an idea for a weird power -- Cpt Sterling is a highly trained guerrilla tactics commander and he lays ambushes for unsuspecting players (and their figures):

CAPTAIN STERLING

Planet:

Unique Hero
    Personality: Tricky
    Medium 5

75 Points

DEADLY SHOT
    When attacking with Captain Sterling, all skulls rolled count for one additional hit.

IT'S A TRAP!
    After rolling initiative, add 1 Ambush marker to this Army Card for each opponent that rolled higher than you.  At any time before an opponent would reveal a numbered Order Marker, you may remove 3 Ambush markers to reveal your next numbered Order Marker and take your turn instead.  After taking your turn, play resumes back with the opponent that was interrupted.

TECHNO HATRED
    When attacking a Soulborg, Captain Sterling receives one additional attack die.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:44 pm

I like Deadly Shot and the Techno Hatred powers. Points and stats look good for starters.

It's a Trap! sounds interesting . . . I have a couple of suggestions. This would limit the power to once per round abd removes the necessity of markers, which prevents the stockpiling of those markers (at some point in the game, Sterling might end up with 6 or more markers and could take all three turns in a round before an opponent gets a chance).

GUERRILLA AMBUSH
    At any time before an opponent would reveal a numbered Order Marker, you may reveal your X Order Marker that is on Captain Sterling's Army Card and reveal your next numbered Order Marker if it is on a Mariedian Army Card to take your next turn instead. After taking this turn, the opponent that was interrupted resumes their turn.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:19 am

Nomad wrote:I like Deadly Shot and the Techno Hatred powers. Points and stats look good for starters.

It's a Trap! sounds interesting . . . I have a couple of suggestions. This would limit the power to once per round abd removes the necessity of markers, which prevents the stockpiling of those markers (at some point in the game, Sterling might end up with 6 or more markers and could take all three turns in a round before an opponent gets a chance).

GUERRILLA AMBUSH
    At any time before an opponent would reveal a numbered Order Marker, you may reveal your X Order Marker that is on Captain Sterling's Army Card and reveal your next numbered Order Marker if it is on a Mariedian Army Card to take your next turn instead. After taking this turn, the opponent that was interrupted resumes their turn.

Your version is much more powerful - a guarantee every round - where mine builds up over time if you are losing initiative. Interrupting the flow of an OM is pretty powerful so maybe it is a Once per Game thing like Everan Sunshadow's Fey Step.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:09 pm

Oops, I didn't read the part where you had to remove 3 ambush markers (I thought it was only 1). Yikes, in a two person game that would be once for every three rounds. My mistake. Once a game doesn't sound as fun.

Let's go back to the ambush markers . . . the only difference is the name of the power, a slight tweak in the wording, and that only a Mariedian can use the power.

GUERRILLA AMBUSH
    After rolling initiative, add 1 Ambush marker to this Army Card for each opponent that rolled higher than you. At any time before an opponent would reveal a numbered Order Marker, you may reveal 3 Ambush markers that is on Captain Sterling's Army Card and reveal your next numbered Order Marker if it is on a Mariedian Army Card to take your next turn instead. After taking this turn, the opponent that was interrupted resumes their turn.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:47 pm

Nomad wrote:Oops, I didn't read the part where you had to remove 3 ambush markers (I thought it was only 1). Yikes, in a two person game that would be once for every three rounds. My mistake. Once a game doesn't sound as fun.

Let's go back to the ambush markers . . . the only difference is the name of the power, a slight tweak in the wording, and that only a Mariedian can use the power.

GUERRILLA AMBUSH
    After rolling initiative, add 1 Ambush marker to this Army Card for each opponent that rolled higher than you. At any time before an opponent would reveal a numbered Order Marker, you may remove 3 Ambush markers that are on Captain Sterling's Army Card and reveal your next numbered Order Marker if it is on a Mariedian Army Card to take your next turn instead. After taking this turn, the opponent that was interrupted resumes their turn.

Limiting to Mariedians sounds perfect. Could be fun!
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:57 am

If you didn't want the Guerilla Ambush power to change in it's strength in multi-player games as much, you could go with

"After rolling initiative, add 1 Guerrilla Ambush marker to this Army Card if an opponent rolled higher than you....."

Still more likely to add a marker per round but not 3 per round as to 1 per round in a 2 player game. Also, do you think there should be a limit on the # of Ambush markers that could be added to the card? If you have Initiative roll modifiers (glyph or powers) do you count those or just the roll itself? If you are including modifiers, maybe go with

"After rolling for initiative, add 1 Guerrilla Ambush marker to this Army Card if you did not win initiative...."
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:09 pm

Derek S wrote:If you didn't want the Guerilla Ambush power to change in it's strength in multi-player games as much, you could go with

"After rolling initiative, add 1 Guerrilla Ambush marker to this Army Card if an opponent rolled higher than you....."

Still more likely to add a marker per round but not 3 per round as to 1 per round in a 2 player game.  Also, do you think there  should be a limit on the # of Ambush markers that could be added to the card?  If you have Initiative roll modifiers (glyph or powers) do you count those or just the roll itself?  If you are including modifiers, maybe go with

"After rolling for initiative, add 1 Guerrilla Ambush marker to this Army Card if you did not win initiative...."

This is a great idea! Thank you.

Still needs a playtest - lots of theory/concept right now.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Yes - good ideas.

Other Mariedian heroes are Kira Jax and Jarek Guy.

Maybe a name that fits in with the others: Kapta Jorn?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:17 am

Love the name suggestion and the Guerrilla Ambush idea!  I am expecting heavy resistance from Heroscapers with the whole 'turn interruption' concept.  So, in anticipation of that - had this tweak to the Ambush power.

KAPTA JORN

Planet:

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

75 Points

DEADLY SHOT

GUERRILLA TACTICS
    After rolling initiative, add 1 Guerrilla Ambush marker to this Army Card if an opponent rolled higher than you.  At the beginning of a round, before initiative is rolled and order markers are placed, you may remove 3 Guerrilla Ambush markers to immediately take a turn with one Mariedian unit you control.

TECHNO HATRED
    When attacking a Soulborg, Kapta Jorn receives one additional attack die.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:19 pm

We got in a couple of play tests with Kapta Jorn yesterday. We changed the need to get three markers for Guerilla Tactics down to two. Perhaps dropping points to 70, but decided to keep him at 75 for now. Everything else seemed spot on.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:15 pm

First draft of card. I reworded a few things. Let me know . . .

W5 - Kapta Jorn - Mariedian Unique Hero - Final Y4my9u5eI1A21XtwZWwATcjC3U3MHix2H7_ZUPS_rf7X5A6zH3aKTKY_tGzCSGjECErxHjPkt4Sd2IzAiUjSsnsgvwLY99xg4YTyL9gVaEJRq-H2-CPU-0dPZm1JCzgZqSB180_hagbIlc76NIzX_Q_X3Q2oA6jcdBPaamd87L_qlE4aBhmWIXsb3VUu3yXZ5zS9VfGw0A3F0kas_atWDbgiQ?width=1024&height=961&cropmode=none
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:35 pm

Love the picture on this card!!!

He's a 75 point hero with Deadly Shot which is pretty solid on its own. The Guerilla Tactics isn't going to happen very often so just a bonus over the course of a game.

Thanks for working his card up!
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:58 pm

We have played with Jorn at least 10 times. He seems perfect as is. I vote this figure as final.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:32 pm

Kapta Jorn
    NWHC Wave 5 – Harbingers of Triumph - Heroes of the Spike

W5 - Kapta Jorn - Mariedian Unique Hero - Final Y4mz3bt_hAbTQuOKuMUy-zTxrQztfPZGSy0CsMUHd8t93sg1AL_2OGppDaK1WuwPywOZA6Z-ys7CIm7GGae-68dmrGZLoAchhtU_NzjaH1FFnuEHPGyMLVJtQIVKVCID_S0T98LhWETRZoKR_gyM7aqGLsAyDnaKrdWCu2aS6i8d0MovUVTm2oUGAXcAI6HNPmh-tmJBvlkqw3Y15L5JnULqg?width=1024&height=961&cropmode=none
    W5 - Kapta Jorn - Mariedian Unique Hero - Final Y4mUoBuPUhsMJrHU3XE8zcGcpNBCopVUUcqXq7dVA3sdtEAg3wnxxuhdmhYsWQrlfba7jE6js_AFGuJ6q4g0P_c86jO67NsUHB8QD8QlpiOzjfLan-_uDESMLeoW3lzPRVtlDp3XVlLtvXXyKHxvDsyPKbKnbFlsEG770phpb_zs6Jjz0tsCjOfTY79ec8Avhi83rcxfHb0JjfZAh6Pp03t6w?width=1024&height=966&cropmode=none

PDF DOWNLOAD, front
    PDF DOWNLOAD, back

Figure: Heroclix, Avengers vs X-Men, Cable #101

General: Aquilla
    Planet: Alpha Prime

Unique Hero
    Medium 5

75 Points

DEADLY SHOT
    When attacking with Kapta Jorn, all skulls rolled count for one additional hit.

GUERRILLA AMBUSH
    After rolling for initiative, if an opponent rolled higher than you, add 1 Guerrilla Ambush marker to this Army Card. At the beginning of a round after all order markers have been placed, you may remove 3 Guerrilla Ambush markers to immediately take a turn with one Mariedian hero or squad you control.

TECHNO HATRED
    When attacking a Soulborg figure, Kapta Jorn receives one additional attack die.

Character Bio:
    Coming soon ...

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- N/A

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered

-MARIEDIANS: Guerrilla Ambush
    Mariedian heroes and squads may benefit from Kapta Jorn's GUERRILLA AMBUSH special activation ability. Mariedians include B-11 Resistance Corps, Jarek Guy, Kapta Jorn, Kira Jax, M-43 Resistance Fighters, and Rendar Fy.

-OTONASHI: Tricky Speed 4
    Otonashi may add 4 to her move if she starts adjacent to Agent Scarlett.

Synergy Benefits Received

-M-43 RESISTANCE FIGHTERS: Guerrilla Tactics
    As a Mariedian figure, Kapta Jorn may benefit from M-43 Resistance Fighters' GUERRILLA TACTICS special movement ability.

-SOULBORGS: Techno Hatred
    Kapta Jorn may benefit from his TECHNO HATRED attack bonus when attacking Soulborgs.

Synergy Imposed

- N/A

Last edited by Nomad on Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:04 pm

Nomad wrote:We have played with Jorn at least 10 times. He seems perfect as is. I vote this figure as final.

Been sooo long since I looked at customs ; )

Did the Guerilla Tactics seem *valuable*? I don't know if it played well the one time I tried him out.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:00 pm

We played a 4-person game and Sydney had the Mariedians. Kapta Jorn was able to use Guerilla Tactics in Round 5 but was unable to inflict much damage with the M43s on the extra turn. She was up against some tough defensive units. The Mariedians were wiped from the board before being able to use the power again.

In a few other head-to-head battles, the power was able to be used about half of the time, but it didn't turn out to be a game changer. Kapta Jorn would be killed often before the three markers were accumulated or with three markers sitting on the card and waiting for the next round.

I really love the power.

OOPS! Changed the name of the power back to Guerrilla Ambush. Guerrilla Tactics is the name of the power on the M-43 Resistance Fighters' card.

The book and card have been updated in a previous post.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:55 pm

Should we drop it to 2 markers instead of 3?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:09 am

I don't think so. 3 to get an extra turn is fine, in our opinion given all involved.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun May 17, 2020 1:02 pm

Kapta Jorn has been shared on Heroscapers, 5.17.20
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun May 17, 2020 10:02 pm

And he is quite the hit on heroscapers.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon May 18, 2020 8:02 pm

yes - a very big hit! Kai, they want Kapta Jorn nominated for SoV. Let's come up with a bio and I will nominate him.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue May 19, 2020 9:03 am

I think we might have to come up with an alternate figure as that one is relatively hard to come by.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 9:30 pm