Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

4 posters

W2 Darrin Razorbeak - released

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W2 Darrin Razorbeak - released Empty W2 Darrin Razorbeak - released

Post  Lord Kai Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:16 am

FINAL EDITING

DARRIN RAZORBEAK

Figure: Pathfinder, Skull & Shackles, #026 Jakaw Razorbeak

General: Einar
    Planet: Marr

Species: Raptorian
    Type: Unique Hero
    Class: Rogue
    Personality: Reckless
    Size: Medium 4
    60 Points

Life = 4
    Move = 6
    Range = 1
    Attack = 3
    Defense = 3

DOUBLE STRIKE
    If Darrin Razorbeak starts his turn engaged, he may attack one additional time.

ACROBATIC ASSAULT
    When Darrin Razorbeak attacks an opponent's figure, before rolling attack dice, Darrin Razorbeak may move 1 space. This space may be up to 4 levels higher. When Darrin Razorbeak attacks a figure that he was not adjacent to at the start of the turn he receives 1 additional attack die. Darrin Razorbeak may use Acrobatic Assault each time he attacks.

EVASIVE 1
    When Darrin Razorbeak rolls defense dice against an attacking figure who is not adjacent, add 1 defense die.

==
    Nomad wrote:Try #2. Thanks for the feedback on the first master card attempt. Let me know how this one works out.

W2 Darrin Razorbeak - released DarrinRazorbeakNWHC
    ==

Darrin Razorbeak

The Raptorians are known for both their incredible stealth and incredible desire for wealth.  Some Raptorians, like the Warwitch measures wealth through slaves while others seek greatness through demonstrations of skill and thievery.

The Razorbeak clan is a flock of renown thieves and acrobats, who have mastered a unique fighting style that incorporates elaborate gymnastics with Florentine sword fighting.  The powerful lean muscled Raptorians mix their limited glide ability to dart, dive, soar, and strike in a flurry of motion.  The whirling blade masters strike from many angles and their uncanny speed allows them to flank opponents.

One such master of the Razobeak clan was given the name “Darrin” by General Einar.  Darrin was a wild and reckless member of his clan, constantly pushing the limits of his elders in search of the next treasure and the next daredevil quest.  Darrin had gathered a following of Beakface Sneaks and their raids on Marr were legendary though not coordinated with any cause other than his own.  Unfortunately for Darrin, his luck on Marr ran out when he stumbled on a rockery of Vipers.  The anger of the Viper incited wave upon wave of serpentine rage, and Darrin would have been slain along with his fellow rogue Raptorians if it was not for Einar’s intervention.

Now on Valhalla, Darrin Razorbeak serves Einar as a way to repay the debt of gratitude for giving him another chance.  With his bold leadership and surprising prowess in battle, the Raptorians on Valhalla have new inspiration.  

But Darrin still holds a grudge against the Vipers, and does not trust that his alliance is the right one.  In the recent conflicts in Braunglayde, Darrin has encountered the Corsairs of the Barbary Coast.  His reckless heart and lust for treasure may lure him to a new adventure on the side of Utgar.  After all, there is no honor among thieves.

==

The Book of Darrin Razorbeak

NWHC WAVE 2-

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered
    -

Synergy Benefits Received
    - Beakface Sneaks : Flocking

As a Raptorian, the Darrin Razorbeak can move via the Beakface Sneaks' Flocking special power.
    - Reckless Hero Bonding: Barbary Corsairs
    Being a Small or Medium Hero with the Reckless personality, Darrin Razorbeak may benefit from the Barbary Corsairs RECKLESS HERO BONDING activation bonus.

Synergy Imposed

Last edited by Lord Kai on Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:58 pm; edited 10 times in total
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W2 Darrin Razorbeak - released Empty Re: W2 Darrin Razorbeak - released

Post  Lord Kai Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:57 am

DARRIN RAZORBEAK

Unique Hero
    Personality: Bold
    60 Points

Life = 4
    Move = 6
    Range = 1
    Attack = 3
    Defense = 3

DOUBLE ATTACK

TUMBLING
    Before attacking Darrin Razorbeak may move 1 space.  This space may be up to 4 levels higher.  When Darrin Razorbeak attacks a figure that he was not adjacent to at the start of the turn he receives 1 additional attack die.

Last edited by Lord Kai on Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:04 am

Very cool mini- almost picked it up the other day. I would be curious to see it next to the beakface to see if it has the right feel for that species. It sure looks like it would.

Looks like a good start for the design.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:23 am

So, he would get a move of 6 and then tumble up 4 levels? This would essentially give him a move of up to 11 if he ends adjacent to an enemy figure.

I like that he only gets to do his double attack if he starts engaged. So, if he leaves engagement, moves 6 and does his tumble, he would now have a double attack of 4? At least that is how I would read it.

Nice start. I think the mini works as a Raptorian - there seems to be quite a bit of diversity in the Raptorian species when comparing the Sneaks with the Warwitch.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:36 pm

Yeah, he could have a potential move of 11 (move 6 straight then up a 4 level). You can imagine this as part Glide (Beakface) part Flutter (Warwitch) and the tumbling of an elite Gymnast. In D&D there is a character class called a Thief-Acrobat that using tumbling to flank opponents, move in & out of combat, and give some defensive adjustments.

I can see Darrin being moved by Beakface 'Flocking' (moving him just 6 spaces) up into engagement. If you timed your OM's right, then Darrin makes an Attack of 3 - destroys that figure - moves 1 space adjacent to a new target and makes a second attack of 4.

He's sort of a cheap double-attacker much like Martial LaHire but with less Life, Attack and Defense but higher Move.

Might be fun ... though I haven't had much success with Beakface Sneaks.

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:56 pm

I can see Darrin being moved by Beakface 'Flocking' (moving him just 6 spaces) up into engagement. If you timed your OM's right, then Darrin makes an Attack of 3 - destroys that figure - moves 1 space adjacent to a new target and makes a second attack of 4.
    But his power says he gets to move 1 space before attacking, so this wouldn't be possible.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:56 pm

Before attacking Darrin Razorbeak may move 1 space. This space may be up to 4 levels higher. When Darrin Razorbeak attacks a figure that he was not adjacent to at the start of the turn he receives 1 additional attack die.

I read that he could move 6 then 1 more space (up to 4 levels higher) if he started engaged, attack, move 1 more space ( up to 4 levels higher, and attack again).

Wouldn't mind if tumbling had a more bird like name, maybe flicker or flyer or soar or such.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:59 pm

I'm going to order 3 of these guys from eBay so we can each have one ... let the Play-Testing begin : )

Derek S wrote:Wouldn't mind if tumbling had a more bird like name, maybe flicker or flyer or soar or such.
    Tumbling is a D&D term for Thieves/Rogues.  We can certainly change it to something more avian.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:02 am

I threw this one up on Pre-SoV for some 2nd opinions. Made some tweaks on the names and powers. Might be simple enough to actually get nominated and pass : P

---
    DARRIN RAZORBEAK

Unique Hero
    60 Points

Life = 4
    Move = 6
    Range = 1
    Attack = 3
    Defense = 3

DOUBLE STRIKE
    When Darrin Razorbeak attacks a figure that he was not adjacent to at the start of the turn he receives 1 additional attack die. If Darrin Razorbeak starts his turn engaged, he may attack one additional time.

ACROBATIC ASSAULT
    Before attacking Darrin Razorbeak may move 1 space. This space may be up to 4 levels higher.

Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:41 pm

had some thoughts here, but it looks like it is out of our design process. Pre sov looks like it is getting Darrin to where you want. Looking forward to playtesting this guy.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:00 am

Yeah, the Pre-SoV guys are Waaaaaay over-thinking it, in my opinion. I think they took a simple concept and really are over-complicating it. Sometimes I want to see what they have to say when there is a figure with good availability that I think might get approved : P

I received the actual figure and he's pretty small actually (though he's about the same size as the Beakface). His small size has me questioning his Attack: 3.

And of course your ideas are welcome - even if I chime in with those guys. I'm not sold on the design yet .. I just sit in front of a computer ALL day for work, so sometimes I get in a posting frenzy.

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:37 pm

Kai wrote:ACROBATIC ASSAULT
    Before attacking Darrin Razorbeak may move 1 space. This space may be up to 4 levels higher.
    Just so I understand. I can to my move of 1 space (up four levels) and then do the normal move of 6, and then attack? This move would be before attacking.

If it is meant to be normal move, acrobat assault, and then attack it might be better to have it read "After moving normally and before attacking, . . ."

I am good with it being either way.

I like what you did with the Double Strike!
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:10 am

ACROBATIC ASSAULT
    to something like

Acrobatic Assault
    After moving and before attacking Darrin Razorbeak may move 1 space. This space may be up to 4 levels higher.

which means he could only do Acrobatic Assault before his first attack. If you wanted Razorbeak to be able to do it again, how about something like

Acrobatic Assault
    After moving and before attacking Darrin Razorbeak may move 1 space. This space may be up to 4 levels higher. If Razorbeak starts his turn engaged he may use Acrobatic Assault 1 additional time after attacking. Razorbeak (does or doesn't) receive any leaving engagement attacks when using Acrobatic Assault.

Although if he does receive leaving engagement attacks I don't know if we need to specify.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:15 am

Let's not forget this guy in our next wave. I really, really like what Darrin brings the table and the potential. I think he is must to push forward . . . please.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:55 am

Let's not forget this guy in our next wave. I really, really like what Darrin brings the table and the potential. I think he is must to push forward . . . please.

I agree here, here.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:10 pm

Cool. Yeah I really like the stats and the way this guy would play. I just wish the miniature was a little larger .. but the Beakface are sort of small/thin.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:36 pm

DARRIN RAZORBEAK

Unique Hero
    60 Points

Life = 4
    Move = 6
    Range = 1
    Attack = 3
    Defense = 3

DOUBLE STRIKE
    When Darrin Razorbeak attacks a figure that he was not adjacent to at the start of the turn he receives 1 additional attack die. If Darrin Razorbeak starts his turn engaged, he may attack one additional time.

ACROBATIC ASSAULT

I think this is where this guy is at? I would like to playtest this guy but I am too uncertain regarding Acrobatic Assault wording and the desired intention as previously discussed.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:14 am

Yes those are the stats. The wording is super simplified and probably needs some help.

To clarify, if he starts his turn engaged - he can attack twice. Which means he can move twice with Acrobatics.

Starts unengaged ... he can move 6 regularly and then move 1 space with Acrobatics and have a base attack of 4.

Starts engaged ... he can move 1 space with Acrobatics and attack, then move 1 space with Acrobatics again and attack.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:08 pm

How about something like
    ACROBATIC ASSAULT
    Darrin Razorbeak may target figures up to 2 spaces away.  After Darrin targets a figure, he may move 1 space.  This space may be up to 4 levels higher than the space Darrin occupies. Darrin must end adjacent to the targeted figure when using Acrobatic Assault.

I think this clarifies when the mechanic takes place for both attacks.

DOUBLE STRIKE

I don't think the name Double Strike fits the first line of the power and would like to see something more in line with the power.  But my silly brain can't come up with any ideas.  Battle prowess, Combat Expert,???.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:29 pm

Razorbeak had a little play-test action this weekend in a three player, 400-point army match.  He faired pretty well.

Derek, we looked at Razorbeak's figure and he looks a lot like a Pirate so we were wondering if you want him to be a Reckless Hero for the Pirate faction?  He'd be awesome with Bonding.

Changing the order and wording on the powers a bit.

DARRIN RAZORBEAK

Unique Hero
    Personality: Bold  (change to Reckless?)
    60 Points

Life = 4
    Move = 6
    Range = 1
    Attack = 3
    Defense = 3

ACROBATIC ASSAULT
    Before attacking an opponent's figure or destructible object, Darrin Razorbeak may move 1 space. This space may be up to 4 levels higher. When Darrin Razorbeak attacks a figure or destructible object that he was not adjacent to at the start of the turn he receives 1 additional attack die.

DOUBLE STRIKE
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:42 pm

If he feels like a Reckless personality to you guys I am all for it, but I don't want to make stuff seem off/strange to have the character meet a certain criteria for bonding/synergies. This idea could allow him to potentially bond with them if he stayed bold

Another option would be to have a quartermaster figure that can change personality from reckless to ruthless or ruthless to reckless, kind of a liaison between the mates and the captain. Kind of like this idea.
    But could make it for non valiant/disciplined heroes to become Reckless.

I like the new wording of the powers. Although I think some rules lawyers out there (not me) are going to say that

ACROBATIC ASSAULT
    Before attacking an opponent's figure or destructible object, Darrin Razorbeak may move 1 space. This space may be up to 4 levels higher. When Darrin Razorbeak attacks a figure or destructible object that he was not adjacent to at the start of the turn he receives 1 additional attack die.

means he can only move 1 space if he is going to attack. So unfortunately, I think we need to specify when this happens, either after moving and before attacking or after targeting or something of the sorts.

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:51 am

Derek S wrote:

I like the new wording of the powers.  Although I think some rules lawyers out there (not me) are going to say that

ACROBATIC ASSAULT

means he can only move 1 space if he is going to attack.  So unfortunately, I think we need to specify when this happens, either after moving and before attacking or after targeting or something of the sorts.

Yes this new wording requires him to actually be able to attack a figure in order to use Acrobat Assault. If he can't attack a figure - he can't move the 1 extra space.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:31 am

I think people might interpret it to mean if he is to attack he can move only 1 space and not use his normal move at all.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:49 am

Would this be better then?

ACROBATIC ASSAULT
    After moving and before attacking an opponent's figure or destructible object, Darrin Razorbeak may move 1 space. This space may be up to 4 levels higher. When Darrin Razorbeak attacks a figure or destructible object that he was not adjacent to at the start of the turn he receives 1 additional attack die.

Months back I had posted Razorbeak to the Pre-SoV workshop and they had some wording ideas .. especially clarifying that you only get to move the 1 space before attacking a figure (not just before the 'attack phase').
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:24 pm

Kai wrote:ACROBATIC ASSAULT
    After moving and before attacking an opponent's figure or destructible object, Darrin Razorbeak may move 1 space. This space may be up to 4 levels higher. When Darrin Razorbeak attacks a figure or destructible object that he was not adjacent to at the start of the turn he receives 1 additional attack die.

This works for me, or maybe even . . . After moving normally and before attacking an opponent's figure or destructible object, Darrin Razorbeak may move 1 additional space.

I agree with Derek's observation on how it was written previously. The first time I read the power, I thought Darrin could only move 1 space if he was going to attack.

I had a lot of fun playing with Mr. Razorbeak. He took out a couple of Fire Elementals in our 3-way battle, so he barely got his points worth. I think he is just about ready with a little more playtesting.

I'm all for making him Reckless . . . but the bonding with the Pirates will depend on if that power is changed on the bonding card.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:07 pm