Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W3 Goblin Slashers- released

Derek S
    Derek S

W3 Goblin Slashers- released Empty W3 Goblin Slashers- released

Post  Derek S Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:34 am

Goblin Slashers

NWHC WAVE 3-ASCENT OF THE GOBLINS- GOBLINS AND GUARDIANS

W3 Goblin Slashers- released GoblinSlashers.NWHC
    W3 Goblin Slashers- released GoblinSlashers.Basic.NWHC

Figures- We Be Goblins #001 Goblin Warrior (C), We Be Goblins #004 Goblin Warchanter (C), We Be Goblins #002 Goblin Hero (C), We Be Goblins #003 Goblin Commando (C)

Planet- Eberron
    General- Utgar

Species- Goblin
    Common Squad
    Class- slasher
    Personality- Menacing
    Size- Small 3
    Life- 1
    Move- 6
    Range-1
    Attack- 2
    Defense- 2
    Points- 55

GOBLIN MOB STRATEGIC BONDING
    Before taking a turn with the Goblin Slashers, you may first take a turn with a Goblin Hero you control. If you do not take a turn with any Goblin Hero you control, you may move up to 8 small or medium Goblins you control. You may attack with any 4 Goblin Slashers that moved this turn.

STRENGTH IN NUMBERS
    When attacking with the Goblin Slashers, if there are at least 2 other Goblin Slashers engaged with the defending figure, add 1 die to the attack.

SCALE
    When moving up or down levels of terrain, Goblin Slashers may add 2 to their height.

Bio-
    Michael Davion looks around, feeling uncomfortable, uneasy... and out of nowhere comes a smallish green horde, overwhelming him with sheer numbers.

The Book of Goblin Slashers

NWHC WAVE 3- Ascent of the Goblins- Goblins and Guardians

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered
    Goblin Slashers: Goblin Mob Strategic Bonding
    -As Goblin Heroes, the following may benefit from the Slashers’ GOBLIN MOB STRATEGIC BONDING activation bonus.
    Zard Manstabber, Runk Battlesinger, Goblin Dog Rider.
    Goblin Slashers: Goblin Mob Strategic Bonding
    -As small or medium Goblins, the following may benefit from the Slashers’ GOBLIN MOB STRATEGIC BONDING  movement synergy.
    Goblin Slashers, Goblin Cutters, Horned Skull Brutes, Zard Manstabber, Runk Battlesinger, Goblin Dog Rider.
    Horned Skull Brutes: Expendable Rabble
    - Because the Goblin Slashers  are small Goblin figures, a Horned Skull Brute may use EXPENDABLE RABBLE to sacrifice a Goblin Cutter in order to ignore a wound.

Synergy Benefits Received
    Zard Manstabber: Goblin Defense Aura
    Being a small Goblin, the Goblin Slashers may benefit from Zard Manstabber’s GOBLIN DEFENSE AURA defense bonus.
    -Being a Goblin, the Goblin Slashers may benefit from Runk BattleSinger’s BATTLE CHARGE  movement bonus.
    Goblin Dog Rider: Secluded Prey
    -Being a Goblin,  the Goblin Slashers may benefit from the Goblin Dog Rider’s SECLUDED PREY attack bonus.
    Torin: Evil Eye Protection
    As Small Utgar figures, the Goblin slashers  may benefit from Torin's EVIL EYE PROTECTION Defensive Ability.

Synergy Imposed

Last edited by Derek S on Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:24 pm; edited 10 times in total
    Nomad
    Nomad

W3 Goblin Slashers- released Empty Re: W3 Goblin Slashers- released

Post  Nomad Tue May 06, 2014 8:13 pm

Let's get moving on these guys. My thoughts/questions in red below. Do we want to develop the heroes at the same time?

Name- Goblin Slashers

Planet- Eberron
    General- Utgar

Common Squad (4)

Species- Goblin
    Class- Slasher
    Personality- Pullulating
    Size- Small 3

Life- 1
    Move- 6
    Range-1
    Attack- 2
    Defense- 2
    Points- 60

MOB MOVEMENT - Just so I'm clear - you can move 8 of the Cutters and then attack with 4 of the Slashers you didn't move?
    When moving the Goblin Slashers, you may move up to 8 small Goblins you control. You may attack with any 4 Goblin Slashers you control, even if they did not move this turn.

STRENGTH IN NUMBERS - It would be pretty easy to get other Slashers engaged with the Mob Movement, what about "2 other", which would mean you would need a total of 3. I hesitate adding an additional defense die.
    When attacking with the Goblin Slashers, if there are 2 or more Goblin Slashers engaged with the defending figure, add 1 die to the attack. (thought about adding to their defense here as well, could go either way)

SCALE
    When moving up or down levels of terrain, Goblin Slashers may add 2 to their height.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue May 06, 2014 10:02 pm

Do we want to develop the heroes at the same time?

Probably wouldn't hurt.  Wouldn't mind making 2 unique heros and 1 common hero out of the cheapest figure.  Or could make them a unique squad.  Feel free to throw out any ideas on any or all of them.

MOB MOVEMENT - Just so I'm clear - you can move 8 of the Cutters and then attack with 4 of the Slashers you didn't move?
    When moving the Goblin Slashers, you may move up to 8 small Goblins you control. You may attack with any 4 Goblin Slashers you control, even if they did not move this turn.

I was actually thinking about this the other day and thought about limiting it to Goblin Slashers you moved.  What do you think here?

STRENGTH IN NUMBERS - It would be pretty easy to get other Slashers engaged with the Mob Movement, what about "2 other", which would mean you would need a total of 3. I hesitate adding an additional defense die.
    When attacking with the Goblin Slashers, if there are 2 or more Goblin Slashers engaged with the defending figure, add 1 die to the attack. (thought about adding to their defense here as well, could go either way)

Agree about the defense part.  I definitely like the 2 other part.

What is Pullalating?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed May 07, 2014 7:25 pm

Do you plan for the Heroes to have Bonding with the Squad?

Maybe you could change Mob Movement to reflect that you can take a turn with a Unique Goblin Hero, or move an additional 4 Goblin Slashers.

Original:
    MOB MOVEMENT

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed May 07, 2014 8:05 pm

pullulate - it is a synonym for mob . . .

1. (Biology) (of animals, etc) to breed rapidly or abundantly; teem; swarm.

Maybe you could change Mob Movement to reflect that you can take a turn with a Unique Goblin Hero, or move an additional 4 Goblin Slashers.

I kind of like this idea.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu May 08, 2014 12:29 pm

Pullulating works. I am not 100% sold on Goblin Slashers as the name.

MOB MOVEMENT (GOBLIN STRATEGIC BONDING)
    Before taking a turn with the Goblin Slashers, you may first take a turn with a Goblin Hero you control. If you do not take a turn with any Goblin Hero you control, you may move up to 8 small or medium Goblins you control. You may attack with any 4 Goblin Slashers that moved this turn.

STRENGTH IN NUMBERS
    When attacking with the Goblin Slashers, if there are at least 2 other Goblins engaged with the defending figure, add 1 die to the attack.

Opened up the restriction of Goblin Slashers to all Goblins engaged with the defending figure, but added needing 2 other, instead of 1 other. With the way Goblin Strategic Bonding is heading we will want to make it a hard choice on which way to go. So we will probably want to avoid straight aura bonuses for the Goblin Heroes. Maybe something like this for one of the Hero powers.

After taking a turn with (such and such), any Goblins that end their movement within 2 spaces of (such and such) add 1 to their attack this turn.

Before taking a turn with (such and such), any Goblins adjacent to (such and such) may add 2 to their movement.

Anyways, something along those lines.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat May 17, 2014 1:41 pm

I did make it so you had to attack with Goblin Slashers that moved here. I really like the title "Mob Movement" but "Goblin Strategic Bonding" fits like powers. Any thoughts here on keeping the theme of Mob Movement in the title? GOBLIN BONDING OR MOB MOVEMENT?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun May 18, 2014 12:24 pm

How about this?

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed May 21, 2014 1:35 pm

Here's an idea - Maybe this could be two separate powers:

GOBLIN STRATEGIC BONDING
    Before taking a turn with the Goblin Slashers, you may first take a turn with a Goblin Hero you control.

MOB MOVEMENT
    After moving and before attacking with the Goblin Slashers, you may move 3 small or medium Goblins you control up to 6 spaces.

I reduced the Mob Movement from 8 to a total of 7, but it is really 8 because of the Goblin Hero bonding.  This makes it so that you have to activate 4 Slashers and any 3 other Goblins.  This could be powerful because the Horned Skull Brutes are Goblins - and their "Barge Into Battle" can be very well set up with Mob Movement.

I didn't specify Goblin "squad" figures in Mob Movement - so there could be a charge of the Goblin Heroes as well. It could result in the same Goblin Hero moving twice (once with Bonding and again with Mob Movement).

Last edited by Lord Kai on Wed May 21, 2014 5:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed May 21, 2014 1:58 pm

Second note:

Is this a good ARMY Build? Or do you see Horned Skulls or Cutters in the same army?

Goblin Slashers x4 ... at 60 each = 240
    Goblin Dog Rider x3 .. at 40 each = 360
    Runk Wolf Rider ....... at 60 pts = 420
    Zark Warchief .......... at 80 pts = 500
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue May 27, 2014 10:53 am

Here's an idea - Maybe this could be two separate powers:

GOBLIN STRATEGIC BONDING
    Before taking a turn with the Goblin Slashers, you may first take a turn with a Goblin Hero you control.

MOB MOVEMENT
    After moving and before attacking with the Goblin Slashers, you may move 3 small or medium Goblins you control up to 6 spaces.

Not against this at all, but I am not in favor of having 4 powers. They need scale and I think strength in numbers is pretty fitting and would like to keep some version of it. So I would probably prefer to keep the goblin strategic mob movement as one power, although I do like the way your suggestion sounds so I could be swayed.

Is this a good ARMY Build? Or do you see Horned Skulls or Cutters in the same army?

Goblin Slashers x4 ... at 60 each = 240
    Goblin Dog Rider x3 .. at 40 each = 360
    Runk Wolf Rider ....... at 60 pts = 420
    Zark Warchief .......... at 80 pts = 500

I think that army would be good. The Horned Skulls and Cutters provide a lot of different choices and I think the Horned Skulls will benefit quite a bit from the Mob Movement, but so will the Cutters.

I think this will work if we decide to keep the power close to the way it is written.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:43 am

I ran a super-quick play-test and the 'Slashers were victorious!!

Question on Mob Movement though:

I think the C3V folks would question this power as a "turn-within-a-turn." Since you could move a Hero - is that Hero "taking a turn" or just moving? Not that we are trying to pass C3V standards, but I know that Scytale would question this one {since he's pointed out some similar problems with one of my Xmas customs}.

I think you are fine if you state that the Goblins moving only move 6 spaces (like how the Nakita's Movement Bond with the Gorillinators).

Also the way it is written now, I was able to move 4 Heroes (Wolf, Dog x2, War Chief) and then 4 Slashers. This was a nice surge forward but then I left too many Slasher back and needed to pull them up.

I played against the Elf Wizards (because what do Goblins hate the most?) : P

GOBLINS:
    Goblin Slashers x3
    War Chief
    Wolf Rider
    Goblin Dog Rider x2

versus

WIZARDS
    Ulginesh
    Arkmer
    Chardis
    Jorhdawn
    Kyntela

The Elves podded up right near their start zone. Jorhdawn got a lucky 2 wounds on the Wolf Rider and later the Wolf Rider went down after he was engaged. Arkmer was the MVP rolling 5 for 7 on Engagement Strikes (killing 4 Slashers, and wounding the War Chief).

Secluded Prey did come into play a few times and it helped. Strength in numbers was helpful too, but the Elves had a few choke points established and Arkmer was rockin' the Engagement Strike. Eventually Ulginesh went down from a 4 skull Rain of Fire gamble that killed the War Chief, a Slasher, and wounded a Dog Rider - but Ulgie took 2 wounds and then was pounced. When he went down, the Elves lost an OM and that helped the Goblins to pull out a victory.

I never had to use "Mount" on the Dog Rider .. though the pair ended the game with 1 Life and 2 Life respectively. The Goblins ended with the 2 Dog Riders and 2 Slashers.

Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:46 am

Thanks for the playtest.  Hopefully they are fun units that are semi-competitive.

I think the C3V folks would question this power as a "turn-within-a-turn." Since you could move a Hero - is that Hero "taking a turn" or just moving? Not that we are trying to pass C3V standards, but I know that Scytale would question this one {since he's pointed out some similar problems with one of my Xmas customs}.

I think you are fine if you state that the Goblins moving only move 6 spaces (like how the Nakita's Movement Bond with the Gorillinators).

I guess I am not quite following you here.  I think if there are wording issues we can look at the axegrinders card for direction.  I haven't played any scape since visiting Damon and I need to get back in to the mode and start testing some of our designs.

On Mob Movement, do you think it would be better to only be able to Move common Goblins if you don't bond with a hero?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:46 pm

I think the concern from the Heroscapers.com folks would be moving figures from other Army cards without specifying a set number of spaces (like Blastatrons moving Gladiatrons).  If you just get to "Move" a figure with the Slashers than that figure can benefit from Road bonus or Glyphs, etc.  If it is movement bonding, then the number is fixed.

I think you are going for Bonding OR the Zombie-style Horde Movement.  Horde Movement would work except that you are moving figures from other Army Cards.

When I was play-testing, I was wondering if I could move the Wolf Rider or Dog Riders 7 spaces.  The wording on Mob Movement was allowing the Hero to move whatever the Hero normally moves.  There was no Road, so it wasn't a problem, but when the Wolf Rider was engaged - the Slashers were moving 7 now {which is awesome btw}.

Maybe Omegacron's Mobilization is a good example:

OMNICRON MOBILIZATION
    Instead of moving with Omegacron, you may move up to 3 other Soulborg figures you control who follow Jandar up to 5 spaces each.

Omegacron:
    http://www.heroscapers.com/community/gallery/files/1/omegacron___master_original.jpg

Totally splitting hairs here ... I understand the concept that you are going with, but you know how picky some 'Scapers can get.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:57 am

Tried another play-test:

GOBLINS:
    Goblin Slashers x3
    War Chief
    Wolf Rider
    Goblin Dog Rider x2

versus

DWARVES:
    Migol
    Darrak
    Axegrinders x3

The Goblin Slashers moved out in a nice Mob.  Since the Dwarves are slower, I lead out with 4 dwarves without Hero bonding.  There we random glyphs on opposite sides of the board.  A Slasher made it to the Move +2 Glyph and the Dwarves hit a Glyph of Kelda (Healing).  I was playing Mob Movement as a fixed 6 spaces if the Slashers didn't bond, but now that the Glyph was in play - the Heroes all had Move 8-9 and the Slashers were 8.  The Wolf Rider moved up and engaged an Axe-Grinder and didn't take him out - so the Slashers then moved 9 spaces (Glyph + 'Rider) - it was awesome.  They zipped around and took 2-die shots on Dwarves and had early luck.  Migol was eventually surrounded by 3 Slashers but One-Shield Defense was saving him.

The Secluded Prey was again really nice to make the Dog Rider more effective.  The War Chief's defense aura wasn't helping much (as going from 2 defense to 3 isn't a big bump).

Migol was hanging tough and the 5 activations versus 5 activations was fairly even but the Dwarves were starting to win the battle of attrition.  I still had all the Goblin heroes and 5 Slashers against Migol, Darrak, and 6 Dwarves.  Then Migol fell to a nice 3/3 skull attack with Strength in Numbers .. but Migol went 0/5 despite height and went down.  But then Darrak moved up at sliced through a Dog Rider (rolling 6 attack) but leaving a dismounted Slasher.  The Axe Grinders cleaned up that Slasher and 3 more and suddenly the OM advantage of the Slashers was going away.  The War Chief hopped up to height to take a chomp on Darrak but he defted dodged with a 17 on Hide in Darkness and responded with a 4/6 attack and the War Chief was down!  The Rogue was on a killing streak, and the Axe-Grinders hunted down the last Slashers and it was over shortly there after.

Dwarves win with Darrak (full life) and 6 Axe Grinders for 165 points.

There were a few key rolls that went the Dwarves way or this would have been closer.

The Slasher are a fun swarm army but they need a little "punch."  I was getting lucky with some 2/2 skull attack rolls but I would have liked a little more offense (especially against Heroes).  I could see bumping the Wolf Rider to 4 Attack and having him be Medium 4 and dropping Scale.  The Dog Riders are fun - and they are great for grabbing glyphs and they could stay Small 3.  40-points seems low, but that Attack 2 base keeps them in line.

The War Chief probably should bump Attack instead of Defense if you want them to be more competitive, and as long as he only bumps small Goblins, I think he's okay with an Attack Aura.  Might be more balanced if he had to be adjacent for the Aura (or something short range like Woo or Ornak for 2-spaces).
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:22 pm

OK, I got you. I was going for Horde Movement more or less, but the attacking Goblin Slashers had to move this turn. I don't see the issue of moving Goblins from other cards as within the power it states you can only attack with 4 Slashers that moved this turn. But maybe I am still missing what the C3V would have issue with. I am totally interested in going which way would be best, so if we need to state that if you use mob movement figures may only move 5 spaces (to match the Horned Skull Brutes move), we can look at that.

On Mob Movement, do you think it would be better to only be able to Move common Goblins if you don't bond with a hero?
    I kind of like being able to move their vulnerable heroes into danger.

I am open to making it an attack aura like Ornak but I am not 100% sure the goblins should packing such a punch thematically. There are some goblins that I think could help with the punch, like the one with the bomb, and the alchemist from the Reign of Winter.

W3 Goblin Slashers- released Pbrow-006W3 Goblin Slashers- released Pbwbg-008
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:18 pm

I'd say give them a play-test as they are now and see how you like them. They are super-fun to scurry around with 8 activations! And I've been playing low-point values (400) to see how they go. I think a 4th squad would be helpful.

And I think you can drop the Heroes and go with Horned Skull Brutes for something uber-strong (if you can time your OM's right).

Goblin Slashers x3 .... 180
    Horned Skull Brutes x3 ... 405
    Wolf Rider ... 465
    Dog Rider ... 505
    = 505

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:28 am

Thanks for the play tests, Kai. I think the Goblins are coming along. Perhaps we can get some play tests in on Sunday and discuss. Nice work on these, Derek.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:45 pm

Nomad wrote:Thanks for the play tests, Kai. I think the Goblins are coming along. Perhaps we can get some play tests in on Sunday and discuss. Nice work on these, Derek.

I will bring my Goblins with me for some play-testing on Sunday.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:58 pm

Here are some quick notes about the Goblin play-testing on Sunday:

Nomad, Huskies16, and Lord Kai snuck in three play-tests of the Goblins this weekend.  They were 1-2 and were very fun to play with and against ; )

Playtest # 1

Knights x4
    Sir Gilbert
    Finn
    Eldgrimm

versus

Goblin Slashers x4
    Zard (War Chief)
    Runk (Wolf Rider)
    Goblin Dog Riders x3
    Isamu

The Knights of Weston and Gilbert are just awesome as we all know, which is why we wanted to test them against the Goblins.  Gilbert rolled 4 and 5 Jandar symbols on his first few “Dispatches” and the Knights were quickly out of the start zone.  The Goblins lead out with 4 Heroes and 4 Slashers, the more Slashers moving up for support.  The Goblins found a Glyph of Thorian, which was useless since Jandar didn’t bring any Range to the fight.  

There were two “fronts” to the battle – one on the far left side of the board with Runk and Zard supporting Slashers and the second in the middle of the board with Slashers trying to take out Sir Gilbert.  

On both battle fronts, the Goblins were able to secure Strength in Numbers but only a few wounds were inflicted on Gilbert and a few Knights falling.  We were playing on an Ice Map with a few choke points.  The Knights were able to completely clear both fronts of Goblin Slashers in 2 OM’s (5 attacks per OM was too strong, and Gilbert was giving + 1 on one side, and Finn +1 on the other.  And the Slashers were often rolling 2-3 attack dice against 4-5 defense.  Zard’s +1 Defense was helping but 3 defense Goblins were not keeping up.

The Knights were certainly on a roll and ended the game with over 300 out of 500 points remaining.  Oh and Isamu rolled a “1” on his first and final attempt at Vanish to end the game.

Lesson Learned:  Use Dog Riders more effectively and avoid big choke points on the board where 3 Slashers can’t get around.

Playtest # 2

Kato
    Ashigaru Yari x3
    Ashigaru Harquebus x3

versus

Goblin Slashers x4
    Zard (War Chief)
    Runk (Wolf Rider)
    Goblin Dog Riders x3
    Isamu

Huskies16 was up this time and I told him we needed to test the Goblins against Range.  I sort of shivered when he brought out the Ashigaru … knowing it was going to be a quick game.  We played on a heavy jungle map so at least there was some cover.

The Ashigaru moved up as expected and picked off a few Goblins at the end of the first round (already starting to use Wait then Fire behind the Spearmen).  The map had choke points with water on the sides that made it challenging for the Goblins to sneak around and get numbers advantage.  After losing too many Slashers and Runk, I decided to completely pull back to limit some of Kato’s line of sight Bonding.  This helped to start a short rally for the Goblins and I worked my way through most of the Yari and about half of the Harquebus before it was getting too lopsided.  Then a few key defense rolls helped a Dog Rider stay alive and take out a Harquebus.  But it eventually came down to Isamu versus one Yari, three Harquebus, and Kato.  Isamu made it through everyone except

Kato .. finally inflicting one wound on the Daimyo before succumbing to his destruction.

Lesson Learned:  the Slashers will not stand up against Wait then Fire with a good screen.  Q9 with a Deathreaver screen will annihilate these guys {though that A+ army is good against just about everything}.  And again, choke points on the battlefield.

Playtest # 3
    Nomad took over the ‘Slashers (since I was doing such a wonderful job with them).  I thought it would be fun to have Jotun squish some little goblins under those Size 10 feet.

Goblin Slashers x4
    Zard (War Chief)
    Runk (Wolf Rider)
    Goblin Dog Riders x3
    Isamu

versus

Jotun
    Guilty McCreech
    Dreadgulls x3
    Me-Burq-Sa

Game 3 was on the Jungle map again and I led out with Jotun trying to cross a 2-hex space over water.  The Goblins swarmed in (I figured I was fine since I’d have height) but the Dog Rider was able to use Secluded Prey to give the Slashers + 1 attack.  The Goblins jumped into water to get the additional +1 for Strength in Numbers and suddenly there were 3 attacks of 4 heading the Giant’s way and 5 defense did not cut it.  Jotun lost 3 life in the first Goblin barrage.  When a Dreadgull advanced to be adjacent to Jotun, the Slashers took him out so they could Seclude Jotun yet again.  It was looking bad for the Giant after just 2 OM’s.  Finally Jotun got a little action going, throwing the Dog Rider behind a set of 3 Slashers so he couldn’t add his Secluded Prey, and getting a Wild Swing in (though a poor roll didn’t do much damage).

The Goblins continued to ramage, isolating a few Dreadgulls and eventually taking down Jotun {who maybe earned 80 points in the game}.  Guilty picked off a few Slashers but this one was a quick rout once Jotun went down on Round 2.  

Nomad used Secluded Prey exceptionally well.

Lessons learned:  Dog Riders are uber-powerful in the right combinations (probably worth more like 60-points), and solo “big” heroes are not going to do well against the Goblins with Dog Rider support.

--
    Overall, super-fun and fantastic design, Derek!!!

I think the Dog Riders are under-costed.  Secluded Prey is nice but the Mount ability is pretty nice as well.  If you wanted to keep their points lower, I'd drop them to 2-Life and stay at 40-points.

Zard is a good cheerleader and the +1 Defense helps tremendously.

Runk is cool and the +1 move is awesome but he seems over-priced.  Maybe give him 4 Attack and keep him at 60, or drop him to 50.

Slasher could probably drop to 50, but they need a solid play-test with the Horned Skull Brutes to see if that synergy is powerful..
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:26 pm

I think the Dog Riders are under-costed. Secluded Prey is nice but the Mount ability is pretty nice as well. If you wanted to keep their points lower, I'd drop them to 2-Life and stay at 40-points.

If everyone agrees I think I would lean towards 2 life here (1 for the dog, 1 for the goblin I'm thinking).

Zard is a good cheerleader and the +1 Defense helps tremendously.

Does he seem right so far then as far as points and theme go?

Runk is cool and the +1 move is awesome but he seems over-priced. Maybe give him 4 Attack and keep him at 60, or drop him to 50.

I think I would lean towards 50 points here as I don't see a big wallop from these goblins as much as a swarming, wear the opponent down with numbers faction.

Slasher could probably drop to 50, but they need a solid play-test with the Horned Skull Brutes to see if that synergy is powerful.

Yeah, I think there might be some variance with these guys depending on the matchup, build, etc. I don't want them to be super strong in their own right, but want them to have the ability to be semi-strong in the right situation. Definitely more testing needed here.

Thank you guys for the tests, wish I could have been there as well. I probably won't have much of a chance to do much here for the next couple of weeks, but it I do I will update the OPs with suggested changes.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:41 pm

Derek and Kai wrote:Slasher could probably drop to 50, but they need a solid play-test with the Horned Skull Brutes to see if that synergy is powerful.

Yeah, I think there might be some variance with these guys depending on the matchup, build, etc. I don't want them to be super strong in their own right, but want them to have the ability to be semi-strong in the right situation. Definitely more testing needed here.

I really like the powers and the stats. I would drop them to 55 points (maybe 50 after more play testing). The personality of "Pullalating" sounds stupid - sorry for the suggestion. Even though it fits, let's think of other terms that might sound better.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:34 pm

Other personality names?

Excitable
    Volatile
    Flighty
    Fickle
    Bustling
    Swarming
    Teeming

Or, Skittish works as well.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:23 pm

Swarming is my favorite of the group so far.

Got a couple of Playtests in today at Chucks place. The first game was a 3 person match (the map had choke points) with 4x Slashers, 2x Cutters, 3x Dogriders, Manstabber and Battlesinger I managed to kill 1 Marden Hound and put 3 wounds on an Ogre Pulveriser, with about 5 total figures making it out of my start zone. I was caught in the middle so I don't think it was worth much as a test. The 2nd game was a team game and it took the goblins a while to start making an impact. Eventually they got a Hydra, 3 Hounds, 2 Mezzo's, 1 Izamu Samurai, and 2 Sentinals of Jandar. Most of the damage came after I had 2 dogriders and 7 slashers left. I think the dogriders still might be underpriced at 40. I am wondering if the Slasher movement bonding should be limited to common squads or hero bonding if we are going to keep them at 55. They played around that level but there bonding options, attack bonus, and such makes it hard to believe they are worth only 5 more points than the Cutters.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Glad you got a play some scape. The Goblin faction still needs a bunch more testing - the points and all are in flex.

Funny about Swarming being your favorite. I worked on their card this morning and put Swarming in as their personality . . . looks like we agree.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 9:21 am