Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W1 Torver - RELEASED

Nomad
    Nomad

W1 Torver - RELEASED - Page 6 Empty Re: W1 Torver - RELEASED

Post  Nomad Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:55 am

BOULDER THROW
    After moving and before attacking, choose 1 small or medium non-flying figure adjacent to Torver. If you choose a figure that is not a friendly Dauntless figure, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, or if the chosen figure was a friendly Dauntless figure, throw the figure by placing it on any empty space within 4 clear sight spaces of Torver. After the figure is placed, you may roll the 20-sided die for throwing damage. If you roll an 11 or higher, the thrown figure receives 2 wounds. If the figure is thrown onto a level higher than the height of Torver or onto water, do not roll for throwing damage. The thrown figure does not take any leaving engagement attacks. If you throw a friendly Dauntless figure you may choose an adjacent figure or destructible object. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, the chosen figure or destructible object receives 1 wound.

Changed who to that. Boulder Throw would be consistent with other cards if I were naming the power and Jotun's card says throw instead of Throw 14. Since it is the act of throwing that Torver is doing, then throw is good in my opinion. I don't want to include "boulder throwing damage", "boulder thrown figure", etc. Just keeping it throw keeps the length of the text down slightly.

Does the wording above pass? I think we finally got it - thanks everyone!
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:09 am

Sounds awesome.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:16 am

OP updated with new card and rewording of bio. If everything checks out, I'm going to upload to Heroscapers today.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:25 am

Looks awesome and error free. Nice job Damon.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:26 am

Aweseome, dude!! That is a LOT of text : )

Great job on the design and card as always.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:02 am

Capsocrates concern over whether the adjacent figure receiving the wound is next to Torver or the thrown figure is probably worth addressing.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:28 pm

OP wrote:BOULDER THROW
    After moving and before attacking, choose 1 small or medium non-flying figure adjacent to Torver. If you choose a figure that is not a friendly Dauntless figure, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, or if the chosen figure was a friendly Dauntless figure, throw the figure by placing it on any empty space within 4 clear sight spaces of Torver. After the figure is placed, you may roll the 20-sided die for throwing damage. If you roll an 11 or higher, the thrown figure receives 2 wounds. If the figure is thrown onto a level higher than the height of Torver or onto water, do not roll for throwing damage. The thrown figure does not take any leaving engagement attacks. If you throw a friendly Dauntless figure you may choose an adjacent figure or destructible object. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, the chosen figure or destructible object receives 1 wound.
    BOULDER THROW
    After moving and before attacking, choose 1 small or medium non-flying figure adjacent to Torver. If you choose a figure that is not a friendly Dauntless figure, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, or if the chosen figure was a friendly Dauntless figure, throw the figure by placing it on any empty space within 4 clear sight spaces of Torver. After the figure is placed, you may roll the 20-sided die for throwing damage. If you roll an 11 or higher, the thrown figure receives 2 wounds. If the figure is thrown onto a level higher than the height of Torver or onto water, do not roll for throwing damage. The thrown figure does not take any leaving engagement attacks. If you throw a friendly Dauntless figure you may choose an adjacent figure or destructible object to the thrown figure. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, the chosen figure or destructible object receives 1 wound.

All the that looks like it will add 1 line of text to the full card. Hopefully it will fit.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:25 am

How about?

If you throw a friendly Dauntless figure you may choose a figure or destructible object adjacent to the thrown figure.

Instead of:

If you throw a friendly Dauntless figure you may choose an adjacent figure or destructible object to the thrown figure.

Man, I hope it fits . . . room was tight already.

Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:13 pm

I like your option better.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:06 pm

Updated OP to reflect tweak to wording of Boulder Throw. I'll get to the card soon.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:22 pm

Looks good, hope it fits.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:12 pm

W1 Torver - RELEASED - Page 6 Torver2NWHC

Oh my, we are pushing the borders and the limits of text that will fit. Let me know if this works, if not I can try to shrink text size and encourage everyone to break out their magnifying glass.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:57 pm

looks good to me, although that is a lot of text.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:03 am

Yes - it is getting a very tight on the edges. I can shrink the text a bit, but it would be the same as Chela's. We've done it before and it hasn't been outrageous. I'll give it a try to see.

Oops, sorry. Torver's text is already smaller than Chela's.

Let me play some more.

OK, I've played some more . . .

I can't get it to fit without pushing into the borders and I've found no way to get it to fit acceptably - even by shortening the name of the "Gain High Ground Movement Bonding" down to "Gain Movement Bonding". Did you know that 6 sentences in the Boulder Throw power start with "If"? . . . yikes.

I am open to total re-wording to address the concern raised, I'm open to keeping the previously posted card that pushes into the border, and I'm open to shrinking the text more. I am not open to changing anything about Torver. He is my best bud. BBF.

Thoughts?
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:59 am

He looks good. It is a lot of text, but there are some very long cards out there. Good job fitting all that in!
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:32 pm

I think it works and I don't want to see him change either.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:54 am

Updated Torver card has been uploaded to Heroscapers.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:18 pm

Thanks for getting Torver and the two new cards up on Heroscapers!!!
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:51 pm

Torver and friends crushed in a play test yesterday. I know he has been released . . . but I'm thinking of tweaking his Gain High Ground power to allow others in the army to use their Gain High Ground power, rather than a move of 2. So, the GG's would get to only move 1 space up to four levels higher instead of 2 spaces. It is a slight change, but this army just got to height too quickly.

Torver and friends are in our next 8-team tournament. We are going to play them as written, but if they prove to be too powerful, I just might make the change. Stay tuned.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:41 pm

Nomad wrote:Torver and friends crushed in a play test yesterday. I know he has been released . . . but I'm thinking of tweaking his Gain High Ground power to allow others in the army to use their Gain High Ground power, rather than a move of 2. So, the GG's would get to only move 1 space up to four levels higher instead of 2 spaces. It is a slight change, but this army just got to height too quickly.

Torver and friends are in our next 8-team tournament. We are going to play them as written, but if they prove to be too powerful, I just might make the change. Stay tuned.

Yeah, Torver & Friends totally dominated the Gnolls yesterday ... it didn't help that I rolled below a 10 on several of their d20 Feral Movement rolls ... so I wasn't able to get to the height.

Look forward to the 8-team tourney : )
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:52 am

Torver and friends crushed in a play test yesterday. I know he has been released . . . but I'm thinking of tweaking his Gain High Ground power to allow others in the army to use their Gain High Ground power, rather than a move of 2. So, the GG's would get to only move 1 space up to four levels higher instead of 2 spaces. It is a slight change, but this army just got to height too quickly.

If it proves too powerful hopefully we can figure out language that will fit. Part of the original reason why we went with a move of 2 was to allow for the double spacers and Gain High Ground/ Gain High Ground 2 are not the same power.

also
    Kai wrote:Greater Gain the High Ground
    If Three Squads of Granites reveal and OM and take a turn they move a total of 18 spaces (3 figures moving 3 = 9, plus all 9 moving 1 each = 9, so total of 18 spaces)

If Torver takes a turn and has Three Squads of GGs, then they move a total of 18 spaces (9 figures moving 2 each = 18).

Probably not perfect 'math' but I think it balances out as basically "Movement Bonding" for Granites. You'll probably get flak on Heroscapers.com that Torver's Throw is uber-powerful on Lava Maps, but he's priced higher than the Wyvern that has some similar options. I think he's in the Kaemon Awa class but I'm fine with that : )

anyways, a great design.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:44 am

The Book of Torver

Large Expansion Pack–Braunglayde’s Reckoning

- Rulings and Clarifications -

- Combinations and Synergies -

Synergy Benefits Offered
    -Small or medium Dauntless figures: Boulder Throw

Friendly small or medium figures can be thrown without rolling the 20-sided die for Torver’s BOULDER THROW.  After throwing a friendly Dauntless figure you may roll for the 20-sided die to wound an adjacent figure or destructible object to the friendly Dauntless figure.  Small and Medium Dauntless figures include: Granite Guardians.
    -Gain High Ground Movement Bonding: Torver
    After Torver takes a turn all figures with the GAIN HIGHT GROUND special power may move 2 spaces with Torver’s GAIN HIGH GROUND MOVEMENT BONDING.  Figures with the GAIN HIGH GROUND special power include: Granite Guardians, Stenvar.

Synergy Benefits Received
    -Stenvar: Dauntless Enhancement

As a Dauntless figure with a 20-sided roll, Torver may benefit from Stenvar's DAUNTLESS ENHANCEMENT 20-sided roll enhancement.

Synergy Imposed
    -Stenvar: Dauntless Avenger

As a Huge Dauntless figure, Torver may benefit Stenvar's DAUNTLESS AVENGER attack and defense enhancement special power.

Last edited by Derek S on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:16 pm

Synergies Imposed . . . should we mention that Torver could be placed on Stenvar's card or not, or just have it listed on Stenvar's card?
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:57 pm

Thanks, post updated. Also added synergies received: Stenvar: Dauntless Enhancement.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:00 pm

When I printed out Torver's card, I noticed that he seemed to get lost in the dark background. I have lightened the background and adjust the brightness/contrast on Torver himself. Let me know if you think this is an improvement or not. Yes, you can see a faint border on where I adjusted the background . . . if it passes approval, I will fix that issue by detailing the lighter layer better. The Whisper Scout and maybe the Shadow Slayers will get the same treatment.

W1 Torver - RELEASED - Page 6 Torver3NWHC

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 11:15 pm